Notices

Does anyone remember when....

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2003, 06:00 PM
jordo77

vCash: 500
Does anyone remember when....

Felix the Cat fought and beat up Ron Hextall?

I found this audio clip and it sounds like Felix beat him pretty good.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Track/6881/leafs.htm

Anyone know where I can find a video clip?

Old
11-01-2003, 06:15 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordo77
Felix the Cat fought and beat up Ron Hextall?

I found this audio clip and it sounds like Felix beat him pretty good.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Track/6881/leafs.htm

Anyone know where I can find a video clip?
There's a few goalie fights here: http://www.eishockeychannel.com/downloads.htm,
but I don't see Potvin.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:37 PM
Bruzin

If I remember correctly, Potvin bloodied Hextall up pretty badly. It was a classic case of someone having their head down (Hextall) and blindly throwing punches. Potvin was able to easily beat Hextall because of it.

It definately wasn't the old aggressive Hextall during that fight. Potvin was quite a bit younger and in better shape.

All this talk about Hextall makes me really miss him. I was never a big fan, but he was a classic hockey character. Everytime I let in a shot while playing goal, I would pull a Hextall and break my stick across the net. None of today's goalies have a stand-out personality like Hextall's.

Old
11-02-2003, 11:39 AM
Harry Sinbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruzin
If I remember correctly, Potvin bloodied Hextall up pretty badly. It was a classic case of someone having their head down (Hextall) and blindly throwing punches. Potvin was able to easily beat Hextall because of it.

It definately wasn't the old aggressive Hextall during that fight. Potvin was quite a bit younger and in better shape.

All this talk about Hextall makes me really miss him. I was never a big fan, but he was a classic hockey character. Everytime I let in a shot while playing goal, I would pull a Hextall and break my stick across the net. None of today's goalies have a stand-out personality like Hextall's.
Hextall was indeed leaking pretty good at the end of that bout. I would disagree, however, that Hextall wasn't being his old aggressive self. He went charging down the ice looking for Potvin. However, he got more than he bargained for. The problem was that Hextall fancied himself the toughest goaltender in the league and he clearly wasn't. Just because he was a spaz, it doesn't make him tough. On the other hand, Potvin apparently takes after his dad who was a pretty tough cookie in the Quebec senior league according to Don Cherry.

Old
11-02-2003, 03:34 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Sinbin
Hextall was indeed leaking pretty good at the end of that bout. I would disagree, however, that Hextall wasn't being his old aggressive self. He went charging down the ice looking for Potvin. However, he got more than he bargained for. The problem was that Hextall fancied himself the toughest goaltender in the league and he clearly wasn't. Just because he was a spaz, it doesn't make him tough. On the other hand, Potvin apparently takes after his dad who was a pretty tough cookie in the Quebec senior league according to Don Cherry.
Good observations.

I remember the fight well, and was surprised that Potvin tuned Hextall the way he did.

I also recall that Sean Burke is a pretty good fighter himself. I have a tape of a fight he had with Maple Leaf Mark Laforest during Burke's rookie year (back when the Devils still wore those red and green uni's) and Burke demolished him. Not that Laforest was a particularly tough customer, but the way Burke pounded on him would certainly make me think twice if he tore of his mask, dropped the trapper and blocker and came charging out of the crease towards me...

Closed Thread