HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We should think twice about resigning Rozsival.

Old
04-30-2006, 03:26 PM
jdsrangers

vCash: 500
We should think twice about resigning Rozsival.

He showed his true colors in the playoffs. When he is being checked he shys away from puck and takes stupid penalties. He is going to want a big raise to be paid as a top Dman.

This team needs to improve the D: Malik , Kasper, & Ozolinsh will be back because they have contracts for next season. Don't hold your breath they won't eat Ozo's contract because of the salary cap!

Tyutin will be back and will get better each year.

Staal might be better served in Hartford to get use to the faster skating/hitting game. They won't rush him.

There are plenty of options as UFA's. Jovo, Redden, Chara, Kubina.

I would prefer Jovo or Redden. Chara will cost a small fortune. Jovo might be the best fit.

Rozsival was out of position most of the playoffs. When the hitting started he retreated. He took Dumb penalities and couldn't clear the crease. He isn't a #1 or #2 or even a #3 or 4! He stayed healthy but when we needed him most he showed that he is average at best!

Weneed to bring in a top Dman to teach Tuts & Staal. Both of them are our future.

We had a good year it time to make minor changes to get us better for years to come!

jdsrangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 03:27 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Id sign him for 1.75 million. If he wants anything more then goodbye.

He did play good with Malik to be fair and i wouldnt mind them together another year.

Poti and Struds gotta go though...and in a perfect world, Ozo as well.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 03:29 PM
Fletch

With Ozo still here...

not sure I really want Rozsival. If Sather can jettison Ozo, then that's a different story. I think there needs to be one spot for a youth in Hartford to make the team, and the Rangers need a legitimate top defender, call him Chara, Redden, Jovo, etc., but that's one big piece to the puzzle that's missing.

I didn't mind the Rozsival signing to start the season, but I am one that didn't think he had as good a season his stats would suggest.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 03:31 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
We shouldn't even think about resigning him.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 03:33 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
We know Sather's gonna sign a d-man with all of them on the market... what better than another Czech in Chara? And let's just trade our first rounder, Poti and maybe Ward for Regehr. I know it wouldn't happen, but imagine a blueline with Kaspar and Regehr... break out the wheelchairs.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 03:37 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88

He did play good with Malik to be fair and i wouldnt mind them together another year.

If Strudwick is nothing more than a 7th d-man, then he'll be fine. He's not a regular everyday player at this level. And, he's not the hitter that one would expect. As much as Ozo probably should be moved, I think the Rangers are going to have a hard time doing so. So, for that reason alone, you probably don't retain Rozsival...and here's why. You have essentially two d-men who can serve as what I'd call, babysitters - Malik and Kaspar. Both served that function for their respective partners, Rozsival and Tyutin. If Ozolinsh has any chance at being successful as a Ranger, he needs a baby-sitter. I'd put him with Kaspar and play Tyutin next to Malik.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 03:37 PM
jdsrangers

Quote:

As season ticketholder I went to over 20 regular season games. Rosey looked great in regular season. I was at the 2 playoff games at MSG and he was overmatched when he being checked. He heard the footsteps and played a scared game.

He is not built for playoff hockey.

I felt he played great for us but its time to move on!

Old
04-30-2006, 03:38 PM
jdsrangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR
We know Sather's gonna sign a d-man with all of them on the market... what better than another Czech in Chara? And let's just trade our first rounder, Poti and maybe Ward for Regehr. I know it wouldn't happen, but imagine a blueline with Kaspar and Regehr... break out the wheelchairs.
Poti is a UFA and I don't see us signing him.

Old
04-30-2006, 03:39 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

Chara's Slovakian. If you're going that route, Kubina is a more likely target, since he's played in international competition with the Czech contingent.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 03:41 PM
Fletch

I'd love to have Strudwick back...

as a 7th defenseman, but get a feeling that he can be a regular in a starting lineup elsewhere. He was much better than Ozo's been these playoffs, which was somewhat predictable.

Old
04-30-2006, 04:05 PM
Block More Shots

I'd consider resigning Rozsival depending on the asking price. Obviously, the +/- stat doesn't tell the whole story. I could pay him, AT THE MOST, 2 million per year. But, IMO, that's still a lot. Anything under 2 mil I can deal with.

We should hope that NYR can land a big-time defenseman (I wouldn't mind McCabe, Redden/Chara). Not only that but we'll need some secondary scoring.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 04:14 PM
DutchShamrock

Management shouldn't think once about signing Rosival. Not for $2.25, not for $1.75, not for $.8. People talk of Straka and Nylander benefiting from playing with Jagr, Rosival was given a golden chariot ride for an entire season. People talk about reducing penalties by 3 next year, get rid of Rosival and you are there. He stunk the first two months and the last month and a half. So essentially you got a servicable D man for 2 months. Chara, Redden, McCabe, Jovanovski, McKee, Kubina and Kuba and just some of the D men available this offseason and all are head and shoulders better than this guy, how do you pass up on the upgrade? We have a ton of cap space and openings on D. I can't believe a 15th thread is up on this guy and whether or not we should bring him back.

Buying out Ozo will cost NY $1.5 mill over two years, a $.75 cap hit each year.($2.75 x 2/3 = $1.5) It is not impossible to walk away from this guy with a buyout. Maybe we get lucky and trade him. That will leave you with 3 guys signed next year, Malik, Kaspar, Tyutin. Sign 1 UFA. That leaves you with 2 spots to allow Staal, Rachunek, Pock, Baranka and Strudwick to battle it out. You can go out and acquire or sign another 2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman if necessary. For the money Roszival will command in arbitration I think you can go out and find a solid, steady defenseman that will give you consistency back there. And if it came down to it I'd rather have Poti or Strudwick over Roszival. I can't ignore his penalties and giveaways another year.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

roszival is definately a product of the system (when it was working) moreso than anything else. when he was paired with the top line (for the bulk of the season) the rangers had control of the puck most of the time, and he really wasnt challenged...and when he was, straka was a backchecking machine.

no thank you to rozy, i think a more compitent defenseman can be had from the system.

i think even thomas pock is more suited to play on the top pairing than rozy.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 04:17 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
as a 7th defenseman, but get a feeling that he can be a regular in a starting lineup elsewhere. He was much better than Ozo's been these playoffs, which was somewhat predictable.
I don't agree on Strudwick. I think we can do much better. He gives his all but his all just isn't good enough and if both Staal and another rookie (say Baranka) makes it I think that 2nd rookie is going to be the 7th guy--which is okay if he can get in 50 games. In any case I don't think anyone was too happy with Ozo and Poti supposedly is going to sit back and pore over all the offers other teams are going to send him. As for Roszival with over 98 minutes in the 4 playoff games you have to think that the current Ranger coaching staff really likes him. My own view is he pairs well with Malik at least most of the time in the regular season. He is not a top defender. A #4 at best and maybe in reality a 5 or a 6. 1.5 mill would be plenty. Despite all the minutes in the playoffs he wasn't that great. Yesterday IMO he was our worst d-man--and although one of his 3 penalties was borderline (at least as I remember it)--they weren't good ones to take.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 04:27 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya
Management shouldn't think once about signing Rosival. Not for $2.25, not for $1.75, not for $.8. People talk of Straka and Nylander benefiting from playing with Jagr, Rosival was given a golden chariot ride for an entire season. People talk about reducing penalties by 3 next year, get rid of Rosival and you are there. He stunk the first two months and the last month and a half. So essentially you got a servicable D man for 2 months. Chara, Redden, McCabe, Jovanovski, McKee, Kubina and Kuba and just some of the D men available this offseason and all are head and shoulders better than this guy, how do you pass up on the upgrade? We have a ton of cap space and openings on D. I can't believe a 15th thread is up on this guy and whether or not we should bring him back.

Buying out Ozo will cost NY $1.5 mill over two years, a $.75 cap hit each year.($2.75 x 2/3 = $1.5) It is not impossible to walk away from this guy with a buyout. Maybe we get lucky and trade him. That will leave you with 3 guys signed next year, Malik, Kaspar, Tyutin. Sign 1 UFA. That leaves you with 2 spots to allow Staal, Rachunek, Pock, Baranka and Strudwick to battle it out. You can go out and acquire or sign another 2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman if necessary. For the money Roszival will command in arbitration I think you can go out and find a solid, steady defenseman that will give you consistency back there. And if it came down to it I'd rather have Poti or Strudwick over Roszival. I can't ignore his penalties and giveaways another year.
I'm not as anti-Roszival. However I think he can be upgraded on. Again he averaged close to 25 minutes per against the Devils in the playoffs. The coaching staff seem to like him. As for buying out Ozo--it's a good idea. To Poti again--he played well after the coaching staff finally got through to him. Considering the lack of offense and the amount of money he made and what he'll likely want I don't think he'll be worth bringing back. Rachunek fine. Ditto with Staal and Baranka.
Pock-I don't know and Strudwick--no way.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Fletch

I wouldn't have a youngster...

as a 7th guy. If there are injuries, a call-up may be warranted, but the youngster needs to keep playing. Strudwick played a bit more than you'd expect from a 7th. I think he's good there not because he's a very good defenseman, but he's the kind of guy you want in that position.

Old
04-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

two things....

Ozo can be sent to Hartford and the Rangers will NEVER have a cap hit for it. Those that assume that Ozo is an option next season need to take that into a account.

Rozsival deserves a nice contrac from the Rangers and they should give it to him. The guy has been debated all season and in the end the people that don't want him back have yet to bring up any good points.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 04:56 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Chara is Slovakian.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 04:57 PM
Fletch

What's a nice contract?

I think Rozsival's a decent third pair defenseman - that's it, and there may be other options that are better than him (but then again, my opinion changes a bit if Ozo is moved/demoted/or whatever, since I don't know if two rookies make the blueline next season). There's nothing special about him. Too often his defensive lapses were saved by Lundqvist, and his defensive workload wasn't that great due to the fact that he played extensively with Jagr, compared to other defensemen on the team. He was very easily beaten to the outside way too many times this season. When pressured by forwards, too often he gave up the puck (it wouldn't surprise me if he led the team in giveaways). His minor penalties were abundant and often untimely and unnecessary. He did play very well for about a two month period in which the Rangers as a team were rolling - can't say anything bad about that stretch. when it counted, during the home stretch, he wasn't there, and I also take that into consideration - if the Rangers are to take it to the next level, their play in crunch time will have to be better.

Old
04-30-2006, 04:59 PM
Fletch

Wasn't Chara born...

in 'Czechoslavakia'?

Old
04-30-2006, 05:03 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
two things....

Ozo can be sent to Hartford and the Rangers will NEVER have a cap hit for it. Those that assume that Ozo is an option next season need to take that into a account.

Rozsival deserves a nice contrac from the Rangers and they should give it to him. The guy has been debated all season and in the end the people that don't want him back have yet to bring up any good points.
1. He takes too many hooking/holding penalties.
2. He has too many give aways
3 When Jagr isn't on the ice and controlling the puck, he fails to get the job done defensively
4. In the playoffs, which is the ultimate goal and where guys really need to perform, Roszival withers. He can't take the hitting and he is useless when not riding Jagr's coattails.

Some people have praised Roszival all season and they have yet to bring up any good points. +/- is not a good point. Not when it is higher than your point total. I honestly can't think of a reason for him to get a nice contract. The 4 reason above debate that. Chara, Redden, Jovo, McCabe, Kubina, Kuba, McKee, Rachunek and Staal are other reasons to not give him a nice contract because each of those guys are better alternatives to signing him. And also by signing Roszival you hinder the chances of those markedly better defenseman to get a spot on this team.

Old
04-30-2006, 05:06 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
two things....

umm, i believe in my post i made very good points. he was helped by playing with jagr, in that his line generally has control of the puck 90% of the time they are on the ice, he benifitted by playing with our best back checking forward in straka, and his defensive mate was always there to bail him out.

he provides little on the offensive side, particularly for a guy who gets a ton of power play minutes, and takes too many untimely penalties.

a monkey with a bullet wound in his brain could have a decent +/- with the season jagr had at even strength.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 05:18 PM
DutchShamrock

GP G A Pts +- PIM PPp
Roszival 82 5 25 30 35 90 11
Tyutin 77 6 19 25 1 58 12
Poti 73 3 20 23 16 70 14

This is the top 3 defenseman by points. Poti is overpaid for what he brings to the table but we are supposed to give Roszival a raise for marginally outproducing Poti in more games and also while playing with Jagr. Fewer Powerplay points dispite getting tons more time than Tyutin and probably the same time as Poti. Too many PIMs for a guy that hardly hits or battles in front of the net. Second on the team in PIMs behind Kaspar (by 7) who had how many misconducts and majors? That's alot of minors in a season. I just don't understand how we can argue constantly that Poti is overpaid (which he is) but we will still consider Roszival for next year even after an arbitrator will give him at least $1.5m if not more.

The only thing I want to stress is that this team needs to move forward and abandon guys that will not be a solution long term. Roszival will not be on this team in 3 years when they start to make waves with our youngsters. He probably won't have a spot after this next season anyway. Why not suffer through mistakes with a guy like Staal, Pock, Rachunek or Baranka?

Old
04-30-2006, 05:21 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Everything has a price.

Quote:

If he prices himself into the next tier of defensemen, defenders who have already established themselves, then I think you upgrade. If he prices himself right I think you resign him.

If anything I think the organization saw that you need puck moving defensemen, but you also need guys who skate well and play a physical game, body checking, not stick toughness.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 05:23 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

How much better is Strudwick vs a guy like Weller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
as a 7th guy. If there are injuries, a call-up may be warranted, but the youngster needs to keep playing. Strudwick played a bit more than you'd expect from a 7th. I think he's good there not because he's a very good defenseman, but he's the kind of guy you want in that position.
The one thing I am concerned over is too much roster churn. We need to be smart about who we move,who we don't resign and who we bring in.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote