HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Was MLG a regulation sized rink?

Old
04-30-2006, 07:43 PM
blamebettman*

vCash: 500
Was MLG a regulation sized rink?

I always wondered if it was the last of the smaller rinks to go, was it 200 x 85? I never saw a game their in person but on TV the ice always looked smaller than most other rinks. The corners in that rink never looked normal for some reason.

I heard that Calgary is really 195 x 83 but always listed as regulation for some reason, and now that I think of it it does kind of look smaller on TV as well.

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamebettman
I always wondered if it was the last of the smaller rinks to go, was it 200 x 85? I never saw a game their in person but on TV the ice always looked smaller than most other rinks. The corners in that rink never looked normal for some reason.

I heard that Calgary is really 195 x 83 but always listed as regulation for some reason, and now that I think of it it does kind of look smaller on TV as well.
Toronto was regulation size, from the original 6 days I think Boston and Chicago were the only two that were not. After expansion I think Buffalo and Calgary (both in there old rinks) were smaller.

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Shootmaster_44

The Saddledome would be regulation size as it can be expanded to international size. So I doubt they would have made it under NHL size. In theory can rinks be larger? If the Flames decided they liked the international size could they expand the Saddledome and use it that large or would the NHL force them to use the regular size?

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2006, 10:08 PM
acr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44
The Saddledome would be regulation size as it can be expanded to international size. So I doubt they would have made it under NHL size. In theory can rinks be larger? If the Flames decided they liked the international size could they expand the Saddledome and use it that large or would the NHL force them to use the regular size?
They'd lose a lot of lower level seats by doing that, so you won't be seeing that.

acr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2006, 10:10 PM
Shootmaster_44

Oh I know they would lose seats doing that, but as far as NHL rules go can they do that? Or in a different scenerio let's say a team decides to build a new arena, can they make the ice international size or does the NHL force them to stay at North American size?

Old
05-01-2006, 10:26 PM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Oh I know they would lose seats doing that, but as far as NHL rules go can they do that? Or in a different scenerio let's say a team decides to build a new arena, can they make the ice international size or does the NHL force them to stay at North American size?
I do not believe that would be allowed, but to be honest I have seen many games of International ice and it is all rather boring. The extra width just does not bring much to the party.

Old
05-01-2006, 10:48 PM
Shootmaster_44

Yeah I'm not crazy about international sized games. But it would give a predominantly European team an advantage.

Old
05-02-2006, 10:37 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
So that's what the Rangers need!
But in all seriousness, I really doubt that the NHL would allow one rink to be bigger/smaller than all the rest, the NHL does not seem to like unique things like that, they're trying to make everything uniform, so it's not like the MLB where different parks are all different sizes.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Yeah I'm not crazy about international sized games. But it would give a predominantly European team an advantage.
But what if the rink wasn't quite as large as the international size? What if the rink was about 6 or 7 feet wider?

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
I think rinks should be allowed to have dif sized ice surfaces.

It could give teams a huge home ice advantage imo and in soem cases a disadvatage on the rd

It adds a different element to the game and its just cool

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 08:02 PM
pappyline

Yeh, those International games on the big ice service are incredibly boring. Who the heck would want to watch hockey dominated by skill rather than size?

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 07:58 AM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander

It could give teams a huge home ice advantage imo and in soem cases a disadvatage on the rd

Maybe the NBA cud try the same thing, we cud make the Raptor's play B.B. on a court 200x85, we would be no worse off than we are right now !!!

Old
05-04-2006, 08:01 AM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
Yeh, those International games on the big ice service are incredibly boring. Who the heck would want to watch hockey dominated by skill rather than size?
Keep in mind most games most people have seen on International Ice are the Olympics, World Cups etc. you are seeing the best players in the world play. try watching a couple of low level teams with little skill play and come back and tell me you think it would be better.

Old
05-04-2006, 08:16 AM
pappyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer
Keep in mind most games most people have seen on International Ice are the Olympics, World Cups etc. you are seeing the best players in the world play. try watching a couple of low level teams with little skill play and come back and tell me you think it would be better.
Why would I want to watch low level teams with little skill play on any size rink? That is one reason I seldom attend an NHL game over here. I would say watching the better European club teams on the big ice would be much more entertaining than most NHL games.

Old
05-04-2006, 07:30 PM
dabid

A team should have a rink like the "Mini Rink" feature on NHL 2k6.

dabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
Why would I want to watch low level teams with little skill play on any size rink? That is one reason I seldom attend an NHL game over here. I would say watching the better European club teams on the big ice would be much more entertaining than most NHL games.
So you think Europeon club teams are better than NHL teams ????

Old
05-05-2006, 09:59 AM
GuloGulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer
So you think Europeon club teams are better than NHL teams ????
He said more entertaining to watch, not "better" per se.

GuloGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
He's talking about Calgary's original arena, The Corral, which was a sardine can.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 06:27 PM
pappyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuloGulo
He said more entertaining to watch, not "better" per se.
Thank you, that was exactly my point. The bigger ice surface gives the smaller skilled player a chance to show his stuff. A lot of smaller very skilled North american players went to Europe to play in years past as the NHL would not give them a chance.

Old
05-09-2006, 08:23 PM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander

I agree. It just adds to the character of the game. The same thing is present in major league baseball.

tom_servo is online now   Reply With Quote