HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carolina's defense against Montreal

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Kafka

vCash: 500
Carolina's defense against Montreal

I don't know if anyone noticed, but Carolina plays defensively against Montreal like Toronto did at least in one game this season: they allow far shots but block the slot. With most of our guys having poor shots, it becomes hard for fowards to register shots on net..... Souray, Bouillon, Rivet and Markov are the ones having the best shots (although I think Rivet takes Waaayyy too much time to let it go) while there is no way for Ribeiro, Koivu, Zednik or Bulis to get a good chance... therefore, the shots are expected to come from a few players, making it easy for Ward (by the way, I can't understand how he got 1st star yesterday).

Anyway, I find that Laviolette is doing a good job out there... and with the help of the referees and Habs non-intense play, Carolina could sadly win that run......

Old
05-01-2006, 12:10 PM
StanAjax

Yep, Brind'Amour made me laugh when he told the media that the team that won 52 games in the regular season was back on track.

Really ? So much for the high-speed high-skilled team... The Carolina team that has won the 3 last games is all about trapping, holding, hooking, obstructing...and high-sticking of course. Can't blame them though, as they allowed 12 goals in 2 games with their run and gun style and only 4 in 3 since they're back to the defensive style...

Maybe they were the fastest team to adapt to the new rules, but they also were the first to go back to the old style when it proved to be still effective...
The Canes-Habs series is the one that saw the least penalties by far. Is it due to the game on the ice or to the officials ?

Old
05-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Breenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka
I don't know if anyone noticed, but Carolina plays defensively against Montreal like Toronto did at least in one game this season: they allow far shots but block the slot. With most of our guys having poor shots, it becomes hard for fowards to register shots on net..... Souray, Bouillon, Rivet and Markov are the ones having the best shots (although I think Rivet takes Waaayyy too much time to let it go) while there is no way for Ribeiro, Koivu, Zednik or Bulis to get a good chance... therefore, the shots are expected to come from a few players, making it easy for Ward (by the way, I can't understand how he got 1st star yesterday).

Anyway, I find that Laviolette is doing a good job out there... and with the help of the referees and Habs non-intense play, Carolina could sadly win that run......
So true, they are playing in tight around Ward. Looks like, to win we need Souray to have a big game on tuesday. It would also be nice to have someone big to stand in front of the net from time to time...

Old
05-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax
Maybe they were the fastest team to adapt to the new rules, but they also were the first to go back to the old style when it proved to be still effective...
Montreal had already been trapping. Carolina's emulated Montreal's defensive scheme.

Old
05-01-2006, 12:28 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

We have to screen Ward its as simple as that!

600 POSTS WOOHOOO!

Old
05-01-2006, 12:30 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Montreal had already been trapping. Carolina's emulated Montreal's defensive scheme.

I know. The Habs didn't have the talent to run and gun all year with Ottawa or Buffalo for example...

They've been playing a defensive style for years now.

What annoys me is that Carolina gets so much praise and is so much the more talented team when they just play even tighter than us...

Old
05-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Mike8

Carolina, through their collapse, are screening Ward.

Note the fourth line had the best quality chances last night. Why? Because they got the puck deep, which triggered Carolina's collapse around the slot, then won battles for the puck. Then they dropped the puck back to the point where defensemen could launch shots from--since Carolina forwards were down around the slot area. Meaning defensemen had more time to get shots off & better chance of having a shooting lane open.

This Carolina D is not very good. When pressured with a good forecheck, they cough up the puck. On the cycle, their defensive scheme breaks down which is why they collapse. They're not especially strong in battling for the puck. Players like Higgins, Ryder need to start winning their board battles. Ribeiro needs to improve. Bulis needs to be removed from the lineup.

Old
05-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax
What annoys me is that Carolina gets so much praise and is so much the more talented team when they just play even tighter than us...
Well, their tighter play is a direct result of their being more talented, no?

Anyway, I don't think Carolina is that much more talented. The key forwards for Carolina: Cole, Staal, Brind'Amour, and Williams.

Those four make-or-break Carolina.

Koivu and Kovalev is all that Montreal has on their level though, and Brind'Amour's played amazingly well.

I think an argument could be made that Plekanec's played at this level too.

Bottom-line though: Carolina's top forwards are better than Montreal's right now.

Stillman, Weight (to my surprise), Recchi, Whitney are complementary players ... no different/better than Higgins, Ryder, Zednik, Perezhogin.

Old
05-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Nihilism

Canadiens should start shooting the puck into Carolina's net after the whistle. They enjoy doing it so much, let'em see how it feels.

Old
05-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

has anyone else noticed this...

when we are on the PP and in the Canes' zone...their PKers pressure our guys on the point...they are right in our face...but when the Canes are on the PP...our PKers give their guys at the point (ie Staal) all the space and time in the world...we just clog up the slot area...we need to get in their face...especially with guys like Plex and Higgy...because if they can force a turnover at the blue line...they are gone...no one is gonna catch them

Old
05-01-2006, 12:53 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Well, their tighter play is a direct result of their being more talented, no?

Anyway, I don't think Carolina is that much more talented. The key forwards for Carolina: Cole, Staal, Brind'Amour, and Williams.

Those four make-or-break Carolina.

I agree with you. I just want people to make no mistake. The Canes aren't leading because they have just too much talent compared to the Habs. What non-Montreal media all wanted everyone to believe before the series started.

I would also get the key Canes forwards down to Cole and Brind'Amour. I believe Staal is a bit too young to carry this team if Brind'Amour were to be injured. Williams, I don't think has game-breaking abilities all by himself. He's good but needs talent to feed him, kinda like a more experimented Higgins...

Closed Thread