HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Expensive high end mouthguards

Old
04-25-2006, 11:18 PM
Accord

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Accord
Expensive high end mouthguards

I've always used those cheap $4 mouthguards that are sold in pretty much every sporting goods store where you just boil them and mold them to your teeth. Well last week I got hit pretty badly and my mouthguard flew out of my mouth, when I picked it up there was this nasty hair on it so I definitely wasn't going to stick it back in my mouth so I ended up playing the rest of the game without a mouth guard and all I can say is WOW. I had double the endurance, I wasn't gasping for air after a tough shift, I was able to skate hard the whole game, I was able to breathe so well, and I was a lot faster on the ice. I've never experienced this before because i've ALWAYS played with mouthguards which restrict my air flow.

I know there are some pretty expensive mouth guards like $50+ and they're supposed to allow lot's of breathability and whatnot... which one is the best and also the least bulky?

Thanks

Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 01:29 AM
PK*

I got one custom made by my orthodontist for $40 US. Can't get any better than this.

Look for a place where they make dentures and they should be able to make a mouthguard for you.

PK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 02:17 AM
DaveyCrockett

I'm a moron and don't use a mouthguard, but my friend swears by his custom mouthguard. I tried a shock doctor, and it just didn't give me the comfort I need. Maybe I should go for a custom one...

DaveyCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 08:25 PM
night-timer

I also use the el-cheapo boil-and-fit jobs. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I saw a black mouthguard used by boxers. It looked the biz and had plenty of airflow and plenty of serious protection.

Only problem, it didn't have the plastic 'loop' that attaches to your face cage (coz boxers obviously don't wear 'em).

If you are happy using a loose, unattached mouthguard, maybe do a Google search for boxing mouthguards. This may help.

night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 08:30 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Never used one.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 02:21 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

I always used the cheap ones, but I cut the end of the guard a decent amount so I had more room at the back of my mouth to breathe. No problem.

Having a loose mouth guard also shouldn't be that big of a deal. I always found those looped ones incredibly annoying.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 03:58 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I'm wating until after I get knocked out to get one.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 08:18 PM
night-timer

Exactly what benefits or advantages can I expect if I go the whole hog and ditch my $4 mouthguards in favor of a more expensive one?

I'd prefer something quick - a pre-made one, not a vist to the dentist. (I'm putting my money towards some orthotic inserts for my skates.)

EDIT: I just discovered this http://en.rbkhockey.com/gear/player/.../mg_custom.php

Last edited by night-timer: 04-30-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old
05-01-2006, 12:44 AM
Heat McManus

Shock Doctor's most expensive is around $20. One good thing about them is you are also purcahsing Dental Insurance when you buy the mouthguard.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2006, 08:10 AM
Jakethesnake

Seriously, go to a dentist. Once you put in a custom moulded mouthguard, you will never go back. There really is no comparison. Moulded guards will NEVER get knocked out; they are so well fitted that you actually have to pull them from your upper jaw - they will never fall out. Breathing problems are nonexistant. If you ever hear, "I have to bite down to keep it in", "I cant breathe with it in", its always about the shock doctors, you never get this in properly moulded ones. I cant pimp these things enough, I switched a few years ago and am angry i used a ****** one.

And no, im not a dentist.

Jakethesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2006, 12:11 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
My only qualm with the custom is the fact I wear a cage combo. I'm not worried about my teeth being knocked out anymore. I wear the non custom ones cause I'm pretty sure those prevent concussions much better than the custom ones from the dentist. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't know how much lower jaw impact could those dentist ones absorb. I can't wear J-Clips with my cage since it dosen't fit, so concussion is what I'm worried aobut.

Those Rbk ons look nice since they are somewhat customizable...but they got cheaper ones that are exactly like that. Think it's at like custommouthguards.com or something like that.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

I ordered a Reebok SmartMouth Custom ($35 =\)... wish I didn't. I put the custom fitting gel in and it never hardened... it wouldn't have done a damn thing had it worked properly anyway.

I'm using a Shock Doctor now... fits perfectly.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2006, 08:38 PM
night-timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny.7i
I ordered a Reebok SmartMouth Custom ($35 =\)... wish I didn't. I put the custom fitting gel in and it never hardened... it wouldn't have done a damn thing had it worked properly anyway.
--- It's gotta be better than the one I'm currently using. RBK is generally considered the highest grade of product. But Shock Doctor have been around a long time, too.