HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LMHF Game Report #7

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-01-2003, 09:54 PM
  #1
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
LMHF Game Report #7

I really hate to start analysis of such a great hockey game on the greatest of hockey nights of the week with this kind of thing, but I really must....

I've always had that little bit of faith in you, that you'd bounce back and I knew what kind of goaltender you really are. I've always thought we'd see that play again from you, and not only again, but consistently. There are times when possibly no one has done it better, and ya just knew that there was no way it'd be a bad game tonight. And then of course the other times. But I've always believed that one day, when you were comfortable and ready, we'd see that player all the time, because it was in there somewhere. Ya know what? It isn't going to happen. Tommy...I no longer believe......

On to the player analysis:

Stuck at the back-

Scott Ferguson: He'd better be out when Cross is healthy, that's all I'm sayin. It's the same thing every game, and not in a consistent defence way. Consistently doing things like not going to any one of THREE opposing players that he could've taken on a given play. Standing around watching. Sorry Fergie, you don't have a place on that bench anymore.

Tommy Salo: My previous spiel pretty much says it all. Letting in 3 bad goals is simply inexcusable on a night like this. With your team going hard in front of you, you can't allow Darren McCarty to beat you because you don't drop down properly. You can't not take away the easy goal on Brett Hull because you've improperly slid and are out of position, you just cannot do that kinda thing. 4 goals on at most 6 shots. That's just sick. And 1, maybe 2, were actually good goals. And it's not just on the goals, routine saves are looking very difficult right now and Tommy is a country mile behind his out anticipation ability. I hate to say it, but this guy should be done here. Odds are he won't be, but he should.

Middle of the Pack:

Smyth didn't have a great game, Isbister was ordinary, Ethan scored a goal but just didn't have an Ethan-type of big game like he tends to against the big teams, Brew didn't play that well, Georges didn't get much time, but didn't really do much, skated hard at least. Chimmer has lost some confidence for sure, he needs to find it again, because he's falling, fast and hard. Horcoff was his typical not-much self, STOP PUTTING HIM OUT ON THE FIRST LINE!!!! Alex was alright tonight.

Jumping ahead:

Marty Reasoner is playing excellent consistent and effective hockey. Give this guy some wingers already! When you want a center with Hemsky and Smyth, put HIM out there. Always making things happen and making smart plays. I've always been a Marty fan, and am glad he's proving himself.

Fernando Pisani: I would like to thank the real Fernando for standing up tonight. FINALLY! Busted it out there all night and played a solid game.

Stevey was Stevey, of course. Almost 30 minutes, just awesome. Sign this guy NOW.

Mike York played a better game than lately. This is alot more like I expect from him, but he still missed a HUGE chance to win the game, you can't be doin that Mike.

MAB: He was actually overplayed by MacT tonight. The guy was goin so so hard though, you could see it. I don't think anyone wanted that one more tonight on that ice. Heart+Skill= one hell of an Edmonton Oiler. Granted there were some giveaways, but he more than made up for them. This guy is something we've been missing for so long. That look after he was stopped in OT shows you just how much he cares out there. Again, just awesome. No other d-man on the team scores that 2nd goal, such an awesome read, gutsy pinch, and no mistake on the shot. My next uni might have to have his name and # on it.

Ales Hemsky: That goal he scored is why he's going to be a superstar one day. His team felt it, the fans felt it, everyone did (well, except MacT, but I'll get back to that). That goal is only going to be scored by him on this team. The rest of the game wasn't exactly top-flight, but that goal surged him forward quite a bit. As usual, made some amazing setups that didn't get finished (seriously, get this guy a scorer and the guy will get 50), I just wish he woulda pulled off the move on Fischer, that woulda been 2 absolute highlight reelers in one night.

Raffi Torres: Okay, Raffi! Listen up! What you did tonight, KEEP ON DOING IT! He did his job to a tee tonight. HIT! SKATE! Score if you get the chance. Please figure out how to do that consistently and you will have a loyal fan. If this kid had hands we'd have two future stars on the team. I just hope he has the heart to keep busting every night like that.

Radek Dvorak: Radek, you are so so close to having an amazing game. And there's no one who wants to see that more than me. It's only going to take one little goal to get started. PLEASE score that goal soon. You're giving a crazy effort out there every night, and making Kevin Lowe look very good in acquiring you.

Nobody I thought played particularly far ahead of others tonight, although Ty coming back from his injury gets my props, and hopefully he gets back in between the pipes very soon.

------------------------

As for general thoughts on the game:
I wish a bigger audience saw games like that. WOW. Hockey the way it was meant to be. Up and down and heart and guts and speed and shooting and big saves.

Manny Legace is one excellent tender, he took a Detroit team that slacked right off and got them a point tonight, you could play for my Oilers any time Manny.

MacT has no idea how to use a hot player. Hemsky got undershifted at the end and OT. He was a guy ready to win that game for his team tonight, and he didn't even get the chance, what a shame.

Oh, but Shawn Horcoff...errrrr....PPL, no he's gonna win it in OT, right MacT............

SOOOOOO many chances to win that hockey game, so many little things that coulda gone right, I can't believe we tied......I hate ties so much, especially when a team gives the effort the Oil did tonight against a vaunted opponent.

How good would Ray Whitney look on this hockey team? Shoulda signed that kid.

What a rollercoaster. It was great, but in the same thought, very sad the way things turned out tonight. A win like what would've been can make your team, can change your team, can make them believe that they are in fact for real, and better than everyone will tell them they are. A game like that can give you the swagger it takes to be a world-beater. A game like that can change a year. It's just such a shame it didn't happen.

The crowd reaction alone if only MAB could've slipped that wrister past Legace, or if Yorky woulda been ready for that pass, or if Radek just could've gotten off one big slapshot......It woulda been so amazing, but, twas not to be.

An emotionally drained LMHF#1 is out.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 09:58 PM
  #2
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Tommy...I no longer believe......

thats it, any more posts or game reviews that contain something like that in their first part(when reviews of such nature are not deserved IMO), im done reading, posting or replying to.......


its your opinion. keep it.

windowlicker is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:00 PM
  #3
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,862
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Three bad goals? That sure ruins the credibility of your analysis on Tommy. Not to sure what you're smoking dude, but He was the Oilers best player in the first period. except for five minutes in the second when the team COMPLETELY died, he played decent. Didn't save any goals, but also didn't let in ANY weak ones. The only one that might be considered stopable is Hull's. Take away five minutes when the team played like an ECHL team defensively, and Tommy has a shut out!

Now, I'll go finish reading your post, because I just couldn't wait question you about your 3 bad goals statement.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:02 PM
  #4
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
thats it, any more posts or game reviews that contain something like that in their first part(when reviews of such nature are not deserved IMO), im done reading, posting or replying to.......


its your opinion. keep it.
I was just making a point about how I just don't see Tommy being the guy I once thought could lead this team as far as it needed to, and step up and be top-10 in the league, don't have to whine about this being another "bash Tommy" thread, it isn't....geez.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:03 PM
  #5
Oiltown16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,772
vCash: 500
sorry but I disagree with you and your Salo comments.

1. The McCarty goal was a blast and Brewer hid the puck from Salo, by the time it was past Brew and Salo reacted it was to late.

2. The Hull goal was crazy action in front of the net with puck moving and bouncing around alot. Salo was prepared for the shots that looked like they were coming, Hull is a smart player, brought it away from the crowd, good goal from Hull.

3. The Draper goal was just a superb re-direction, not a chance Salo could have reacted to have saved that.

4. The Datysuk goal should have been cleared in the first place. It was a good shot, off the post and in and up high, where most goalies are beat. Salo maybe could have not gone down as quickly. Only goal I could see him stopping.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Marc Andre Bergeron had a nice goal yes...played the worst defensively of any Oiler. Countless give-aways, not only in our zone but right in front of Tommy.

Oiltown16 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:03 PM
  #6
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,862
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Bergeron listed with the best players? Brutal. He was the worst Oilers blueliner!!!! I know you like him, but even the strongest bias can't hide how dispicable he played defensively! His goal was smart, but lucky getting the bounce that it did. Everything besides Tommy and MAB was ok, but OMG i can't believe what i'm reading out of you on these two. Couldn't disagree more - and usually I see eye to eye on most thigns.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:06 PM
  #7
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,862
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
I was just making a point about how I just don't see Tommy being the guy I once thought could lead this team as far as it needed to, and step up and be top-10 in the league, don't have to whine about this being another "bash Tommy" thread, it isn't....geez.
Well man I don't blame him. Goof-balls in the game thread are even discussing what he SHOULD have done on Shanny's penalty shot. It's pathetic and insults their own hockey knowledge!
Saying that he had three bad goals is simply a flaud statement, when it is argueable that there wasn't ONE!

thome_26 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:09 PM
  #8
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Bergeron listed with the best players? Brutal. He was the worst Oilers blueliner!!!! I know you like him, but even the strongest bias can't hide how dispicable he played defensively! His goal was smart, but lucky getting the bounce that it did. Everything besides Tommy and MAB was ok, but OMG i can't believe what i'm reading out of you on these two. Couldn't disagree more - and usually I see eye to eye on most thigns.
What I saw from him tonight was a guy who wanted that 'W' more than anything. And he also didn't make mistakes that cost the team goals, he may have been trying passes he shouldn't have, but like I said, I felt he far outweighed his negatives with his positives.

As for Tommy, I just can't stand it anymore, it's as simple as that. I'd be the last guy to "blame the goalie", I once was one, it just frustrates me to absolutely no end to see what it does to the team, and the fact that no one will correct Tommy's fundamental flaw, or pull him from a game because they're too scared to hurt his now fragile psyche. This used to be Mr. Ice Cold in the nets, now he's a shadow of that.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:12 PM
  #9
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,709
vCash: 500
I'm done with my Salo-defending rants tonight.. Bergeron was without a doubt the Oilers worst blueliner tonight however. Granted he scored a nice goal but I disagree with your belief that he made up for his mistakes through offensive production. He made some absolutely horrendous plays (many of which I deemed at the time "lazy" mistakes) and scared me every time he was out on the ice.. :mad: He'll bounce back though.. I'm guessing he might sit out the next game in favor of Criss-Cross.

Cerebral is online now  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:13 PM
  #10
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,862
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
What I saw from him tonight was a guy who wanted that 'W' more than anything. And he also didn't make mistakes that cost the team goals, he may have been trying passes he shouldn't have, but like I said, I felt he far outweighed his negatives with his positives.

As for Tommy, I just can't stand it anymore, it's as simple as that. I'd be the last guy to "blame the goalie", I once was one, it just frustrates me to absolutely no end to see what it does to the team, and the fact that no one will correct Tommy's fundamental flaw, or pull him from a game because they're too scared to hurt his now fragile psyche. This used to be Mr. Ice Cold in the nets, now he's a shadow of that.
LMHF you usually have MUCH more insightful and fact bases points. You have provided no arguement or reasoning for what you're saying. When Russian fan posts the highlights perhaps it would be good for you to see those goals again, as three of the goals he was completely screwed on as would any other goalie. The Hull one was a strange one, and I think it's one of those that you never know on. Not enough to hang a guy, but enough to say.. hmm.

Bergeron always shows drive during the game. That's what makes him excellent. But he didn't play smart hockey. It's that simple. You need your head as much as your heart, and he didn't have that. Granted he didn't get burned as badly as he could have, but never the less when him and the coaching staff are going over tape they'll have LOTS to look at and teach him with.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:15 PM
  #11
Asiaoil
Registered User
 
Asiaoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Thailand
Posts: 5,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
routine saves are looking very difficult right now and Tommy is a country mile behind his out anticipation ability
As the consistent posters know - I spent a lot of time last summer saying how much this team needs a steady veteran presence in net - and that Salo was the guy (almost as much time as I spent saying that Comrie was probably finished ).

Well I think it's pretty obvious that Salo's confidence is really low right now. He's making simple saves look hard, guessing a lot more than usual, and not being the guy that this team has depended on for the last several seasons.

The upcoming roadtrip is important - if Salo stinks it up then something may have to happen because the guy just does not looks like a top 10 starting goalie anymore. More often than not we win in spite of him or he's a non-factor - and that's not typical of his play over the last several years. Goalies are funny though - sometimes they just "lose it" and never get it back. Here's hoping that Salo finds his form fast because a team this young needs solid goaltending.

Asiaoil is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:15 PM
  #12
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltown16
sorry but I disagree with you and your Salo comments.

1. The McCarty goal was a blast and Brewer hid the puck from Salo, by the time it was past Brew and Salo reacted it was to late.

2. The Hull goal was crazy action in front of the net with puck moving and bouncing around alot. Salo was prepared for the shots that looked like they were coming, Hull is a smart player, brought it away from the crowd, good goal from Hull.

3. The Draper goal was just a superb re-direction, not a chance Salo could have reacted to have saved that.

4. The Datysuk goal should have been cleared in the first place. It was a good shot, off the post and in and up high, where most goalies are beat. Salo maybe could have not gone down as quickly. Only goal I could see him stopping.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
.
The McCarty goal was not a blast, and Tommy only let it in because he doesn't drop down properly. Teams know this and exploit it.

Hull's goal should've never happened because Tommy had all the time in the world to get to that side of the net, and flat-out FLINCHED! That's not the Tommy we used to know. His strength is anticipation, and that part is just shot right now.

Draper did make a decent deflection on the 3rd goal.

Datsyuk scored like he did because Tommy went down way too early. He just flat-out dropped.

And again, the bigger point is, FOUR goals in SIX shots. That's inexcusable.

Then again, maybe it's not Tommy's fault. The first 2 came in 2 shots. MacT shoulda done something. Either call a TO or pull the guy. So I guess both are at fault here.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:17 PM
  #13
Oiltown16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,772
vCash: 500
I think this road trip is a good thing for Salo. On the road there isn't going to be any pressure from the fans, he can relax a little more and hopefully get some confidence back...and hopefully the defence stops the mental errors

Oiltown16 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:18 PM
  #14
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,862
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
The McCarty goal was not a blast, and Tommy only let it in because he doesn't drop down properly. Teams know this and exploit it.

Hull's goal should've never happened because Tommy had all the time in the world to get to that side of the net, and flat-out FLINCHED! That's not the Tommy we used to know. His strength is anticipation, and that part is just shot right now.

Draper did make a decent deflection on the 3rd goal.

Datsyuk scored like he did because Tommy went down way too early. He just flat-out dropped.

And again, the bigger point is, FOUR goals in SIX shots. That's inexcusable.

Then again, maybe it's not Tommy's fault. The first 2 came in 2 shots. MacT shoulda done something. Either call a TO or pull the guy. So I guess both are at fault here.
Four goals on six shots is irrelevant. For you to say that Draper made a "decent" deflection is a way off statement. It was a beauty deflection and anybody who saw that goal from a decent angle or more then once would agree. Drapers shot was a perfect shot and scores on any goalie. ANY GOALIE. Shots just off the inside of the post aren't stopped when they are coming from the middle of the top of the slot.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:20 PM
  #15
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,862
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltown16
I think this road trip is a good thing for Salo. On the road there isn't going to be any pressure from the fans, he can relax a little more and hopefully get some confidence back...and hopefully the defence stops the mental errors
Agreed 100%. I think he'll have a good trip for us (I expect Conks to get a start some where in there as well). If the Oilers don't leave him to face point blank chances in the slot then he'll stop the rest for the most part. We all know that he hasn't been himself, but all the over-examening is rediculous. It will do him good to go on a trip for a while.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:21 PM
  #16
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
LMHF you usually have MUCH more insightful and fact bases points. You have provided no arguement or reasoning for what you're saying. When Russian fan posts the highlights perhaps it would be good for you to see those goals again, as three of the goals he was completely screwed on as would any other goalie. The Hull one was a strange one, and I think it's one of those that you never know on. Not enough to hang a guy, but enough to say.. hmm.

Bergeron always shows drive during the game. That's what makes him excellent. But he didn't play smart hockey. It's that simple. You need your head as much as your heart, and he didn't have that. Granted he didn't get burned as badly as he could have, but never the less when him and the coaching staff are going over tape they'll have LOTS to look at and teach him with.
I dunno, maybe I just thought they needed that win so much that I got a little more emotional than normal tonight I guess. And the way MAB played played into that. I also happen to think people look for and at his mistakes alot more harshly than they should, but again, that's just MO, so who knows. I'm not gonna be in 100% agreement every game, in fact, sometimes I'm gonna say the opposite of what people think, but hey, that's what makes me so great

I am watching the CBC replay of course, just to refresh everything, always do, and if anything changes in my mind I will of course post.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:25 PM
  #17
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,862
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
I dunno, maybe I just thought they needed that win so much that I got a little more emotional than normal tonight I guess. And the way MAB played played into that. I also happen to think people look for and at his mistakes alot more harshly than they should, but again, that's just MO, so who knows. I'm not gonna be in 100% agreement every game, in fact, sometimes I'm gonna say the opposite of what people think, but hey, that's what makes me so great

I am watching the CBC replay of course, just to refresh everything, always do, and if anything changes in my mind I will of course post.
The beauty of you #1 is that you're open minded. Most guys wouldn't be willing to look at things again and change their stance. I know I've made plenty of bold statements before and then realized - holy *****, did I ever put my foot in my mouth there (not at ALL implying you did so).

I'm pretty confident that after cooling down from the game like I am currently doing, lol, that you will see those goals and that it was more of the same ol' brutal defensively play by the Oilers.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:29 PM
  #18
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
The beauty of you #1 is that you're open minded. Most guys wouldn't be willing to look at things again and change their stance. I know I've made plenty of bold statements before and then realized - holy *****, did I ever put my foot in my mouth there (not at ALL implying you did so).

I'm pretty confident that after cooling down from the game like I am currently doing, lol, that you will see those goals and that it was more of the same ol' brutal defensively play by the Oilers.
Thanks Thome. Ya know, I just felt that win so much tonight, I don't think my rear end was in contact with the seat for the last 10 minutes of play at all. That could've been such a huge game for so many different players...

I remember how those games feel to play in.

Tommy did make an excellent read on the penalty shot, which, along with the save late in the game, I felt were his positives. I dunno, might be kind of still back-lashing against what I see as alot of blind faith. I mean, we made this guy MVP last year....how????

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:30 PM
  #19
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
The McCarty goal was not a blast, and Tommy only let it in because he doesn't drop down properly. Teams know this and exploit it.

Hull's goal should've never happened because Tommy had all the time in the world to get to that side of the net, and flat-out FLINCHED! That's not the Tommy we used to know. His strength is anticipation, and that part is just shot right now.

Draper did make a decent deflection on the 3rd goal.

Datsyuk scored like he did because Tommy went down way too early. He just flat-out dropped.

And again, the bigger point is, FOUR goals in SIX shots. That's inexcusable.

Then again, maybe it's not Tommy's fault. The first 2 came in 2 shots. MacT shoulda done something. Either call a TO or pull the guy. So I guess both are at fault here.
McCarty's goal certainly was a blast.... and Tommy dropped down fine. It's one of those goals where Brewer did the right thing, and it was a good shot. There were 3 other guys in my living room, all of them Wings fans, they seemed to think it was a pretty good shot.

On Hull's goal, there was a scramble with at least 4 shots that were thrown at the net, all of them blocked (and Salo reacting to each one). Salo was down on one knee, when Hull pulled the puck out. Hull hasn't scored 700+ goals because he doesn't know what to do. He had time, and space and waited, pulling the puck to the side waiting for Salo to either stand up, or extend as far as he could before shooting.

Datsyuk let a hell of a wrister go, right in the top corner. Yeah, Salo went down, just like almost every goalie in the NHL does.

I can't beleive you... your whole thing has been that Salo hasn't made the big save... well he made them tonight.... but that still isn't good enough.

What the hell do you expect? Every goal, in theory could be stopped... but it doesn't mean they will.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:31 PM
  #20
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,862
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Thanks Thome. Ya know, I just felt that win so much tonight, I don't think my rear end was in contact with the seat for the last 10 minutes of play at all. That could've been such a huge game for so many different players...

I remember how those games feel to play in.

Tommy did make an excellent read on the penalty shot, which, along with the save late in the game, I felt were his positives. I dunno, might be kind of still back-lashing against what I see as alot of blind faith. I mean, we made this guy MVP last year....how????
I do agree with not under-standing on how he was the MVP last year. But really - our team didn't have a guy that you could point to and say - him, he's the reason we're hear. Tommy had those couple good stretches were he carried us with a .950+ save% and I think thats what did it for him.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:35 PM
  #21
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
McCarty's goal certainly was a blast.... and Tommy dropped down fine. It's one of those goals where Brewer did the right thing, and it was a good shot. There were 3 other guys in my living room, all of them Wings fans, they seemed to think it was a pretty good shot.

On Hull's goal, there was a scramble with at least 4 shots that were thrown at the net, all of them blocked (and Salo reacting to each one). Salo was down on one knee, when Hull pulled the puck out. Hull hasn't scored 700+ goals because he doesn't know what to do. He had time, and space and waited, pulling the puck to the side waiting for Salo to either stand up, or extend as far as he could before shooting.

Datsyuk let a hell of a wrister go, right in the top corner. Yeah, Salo went down, just like almost every goalie in the NHL does.

I can't beleive you... your whole thing has been that Salo hasn't made the big save... well he made them tonight.... but that still isn't good enough.

What the hell do you expect? Every goal, in theory could be stopped... but it doesn't mean they will.
I expected Tommy to stop McCarty's shot, and frankly I think if that doesn't go in we never get anywhere near a 4-2 Detroit lead. He does not butterfly correctly, and teams know it. And I still maintain he flinched on Hull's goal, and didn't aggressively anticipate on Datsyuk's, which used to be his strong point. What do I expect out of Tommy? The guy we used to see who could take a good opposition and demoralize them about 10-15 games a year, and just provide consistent good goaltending on most nights. I thought he was going to be a top-10 NHL goalie.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:43 PM
  #22
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,279
vCash: 500
Anybody else think the Oilers players (especially the defensemen) need to calm down when they get the puck and stop turning it over all the time? I mean everytime I see the Oilers play (which is more often than the Flames ) they turn the puck over constantly and tonight was no different.


kruezer is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:44 PM
  #23
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
I expected Tommy to stop McCarty's shot, and frankly I think if that doesn't go in we never get anywhere near a 4-2 Detroit lead. He does not butterfly correctly, and teams know it. And I still maintain he flinched on Hull's goal, and didn't aggressively anticipate on Datsyuk's, which used to be his strong point. What do I expect out of Tommy? The guy we used to see who could take a good opposition and demoralize them about 10-15 games a year, and just provide consistent good goaltending on most nights. I thought he was going to be a top-10 NHL goalie.
So suddenly every slap shot screen is a horrible goal? Salo dropped fine on the play, the puck was about a foot in the air to the side of him.

He didn't flinch at all on Hull's goal. There was a scramble, and there were about 4 or 5 whacks by Detroit players that Tommy reacted to, that got blocked. Semi then cleared the puck right onto Hull's stick. All he did was out wait Salo and put it in.

Salo was out past the top of his crease on the Datsyuk goal. It went directly into the top corner and was a perfectly placed shot. Wrist shots from right in the slot don't get any better than that.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:59 PM
  #24
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Just saw the replay of McCarty's goal, mind didn't change on it. Tommy saw that thing all the way, bad turnover and defensive puck support, but then Tommy has a good view of the shot, and instead of butterflying and being in a solid position, he goes down on one knee.

Now the Hull replay: You could see Tommy was going to come across the net. He knew where that puck was going, and at the last second, held himself back.

Draper goal: Bad defence again, and Smyth probably shoulda blocked it, but then when the puck comes, Tommy has his legs apart and doesn't have his stick in the middle of em. Has to be one or the other Tommy. It's a percentage game at that stage, and yes, stopping a tip is hard, but give yourself the best chance at least!

Datsyuk's goal looked alot better the 2nd time around. Guess it was just outright frustration at that point.

Not saying he should've stopped all or anything like that, don't interpret what I'm saying as that, but you can't have all these things happening, and for nearly the same reason on all accounts, and win big games.

Coming more to the conclusion that MacT simply let the game get outta control, you really have to do somethin as a coach at the 2-2 point the game.


I guess alot of what I say with regards to Tommy is because of the standards I've set for him. Watching him on certain nights, you knew that the only way someone was going to score was if a strange bounce occured, a perfect passing play left someone with a huge hole, or POSSIBLY a breakaway. Other than that, no chance of the guy scoring. That hasn't happened in a long time, and neither has the semi-consistent 2-3 goal Tommy performance. I just don't see the same guy any more, but maybe it's just because I overestimated what he would become

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 11:32 PM
  #25
OYLer
Registered User
 
OYLer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Win Desperate & Mad!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I do agree with not under-standing on how he was the MVP last year. But really - our team didn't have a guy that you could point to and say - him, he's the reason we're hear. Tommy had those couple good stretches were he carried us with a .950+ save% and I think thats what did it for him.
Now thome,remember it was co-MVP; you do remember the other guys name, I know that you do.

OYLer is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.