HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

LMHF Game Report #7

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2003, 03:54 AM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Just saw the replay of McCarty's goal, mind didn't change on it. Tommy saw that thing all the way, bad turnover and defensive puck support, but then Tommy has a good view of the shot, and instead of butterflying and being in a solid position, he goes down on one knee.
A butterfly wouldn't have done anything, and on two of the replays, it looks like Brewer is screening him. Aside from that, contrary to your original post, it was a rocket of a shot, and sometimes you can't stop those unless it hits you.

Quote:
Now the Hull replay: You could see Tommy was going to come across the net. He knew where that puck was going, and at the last second, held himself back.
I honestly don't know what replay you were watching, but Salo went down and up 3 or 4 times before Hull finally beat him. Don't know if you have ever been a goalie, but it is really hard to do that, and move acrosse the net (keeping a good angle).

Quote:
Draper goal: Bad defence again, and Smyth probably shoulda blocked it, but then when the puck comes, Tommy has his legs apart and doesn't have his stick in the middle of em. Has to be one or the other Tommy. It's a percentage game at that stage, and yes, stopping a tip is hard, but give yourself the best chance at least!
If you look where the initial shot was going, Salo would have had his stick and pad in perfect position to deflect the puck in the corner. He had his legs apart and his stick not in the middle because where the shot was going didn't call for it.

Quote:
Datsyuk's goal looked alot better the 2nd time around. Guess it was just outright frustration at that point.
No arguing there, that was a hell of a wrister.

Quote:
Not saying he should've stopped all or anything like that, don't interpret what I'm saying as that, but you can't have all these things happening, and for nearly the same reason on all accounts, and win big games.

Coming more to the conclusion that MacT simply let the game get outta control, you really have to do somethin as a coach at the 2-2 point the game.
That is exactly what you are saying. I mean he gave up 4 good goals, but he also made several very good saves. He made big saves tonight, but they weren't enough for you. You don't play as bad defensively as the Oilers did and come out with a tie without your goaltender playing well.

Quote:
I guess alot of what I say with regards to Tommy is because of the standards I've set for him. Watching him on certain nights, you knew that the only way someone was going to score was if a strange bounce occured, a perfect passing play left someone with a huge hole, or POSSIBLY a breakaway. Other than that, no chance of the guy scoring. That hasn't happened in a long time, and neither has the semi-consistent 2-3 goal Tommy performance. I just don't see the same guy any more, but maybe it's just because I overestimated what he would become
You also have to take into account that the Oilers never played this bad defensively before. I mean how many giveaways, or men left wide open can you give up over 3 games? Brett Hull can't be left open in the slot. The team is trying to make him make more quality saves than he should. And not more as in a higher amount, I mean better. I can't even begin to count the number of times in the last 4 games a guy has ended up with the puck, literally all alone within 5 or 6 feet of the net.

Old
11-02-2003, 05:16 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
thats it, any more posts or game reviews that contain something like that in their first part(when reviews of such nature are not deserved IMO), im done reading, posting or replying to.......

its your opinion. keep it.

aren't the message boards for sharing & discussing one's opinion?

Old
11-02-2003, 05:29 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Bergeron listed with the best players? Brutal. He was the worst Oilers blueliner!!!! I know you like him, but even the strongest bias can't hide how dispicable he played defensively! His goal was smart, but lucky getting the bounce that it did. Everything besides Tommy and MAB was ok, but OMG i can't believe what i'm reading out of you on these two. Couldn't disagree more - and usually I see eye to eye on most thigns.
But y'know what? Bergie managed to cover up for a lot of his mistakes. And I don't believe any of the goals scored on Salo were on his miscues specifically, and he still walked away with a brilliantly pinched goal and several other good chances.

I know it'd be nice if we was a little better defensively, but you have to remember that offence is his game. We have a lot of guys who purely play a defensive role on the team, why not a few players (Hamsky/Comrie/MAB) who get to be a little more purely offensive?

The thing is that it's so obvious when a guy gives away the puck, its not always so obvious when a guy passes up a chance to score. If Bergeron had stayed at the point on his goal I doubt we would have had any good chance with the puck. A guy like Ferguson doesn't make that pinch, but noone really notices. I guess what I'm saying is we have to allow our offensive players to play their game.

Quote:
1. The McCarty goal was a blast and Brewer hid the puck from Salo, by the time it was past Brew and Salo reacted it was to late.

2. The Hull goal was crazy action in front of the net with puck moving and bouncing around alot. Salo was prepared for the shots that looked like they were coming, Hull is a smart player, brought it away from the crowd, good goal from Hull.

3. The Draper goal was just a superb re-direction, not a chance Salo could have reacted to have saved that.

4. The Datysuk goal should have been cleared in the first place. It was a good shot, off the post and in and up high, where most goalies are beat. Salo maybe could have not gone down as quickly. Only goal I could see him stopping.
Any goal can be explained away. The fact is we pay Salo big money to make big saves, the saves that he 'shouldn't' stop. Any average goalie can say he stops the ones he should and only gets scored on the ones that he has no chance on. But those average goalies get paid average money...
Last night was a big game for The Oilers. About to go on a long roadtrip, sustained several recent losses and the team comes out firing away and gives Salo a 2-goal lead. He has to make a big save if something breaks down, thats what he's there for.

Old
11-02-2003, 05:55 AM
Mr Sakich

darn, I missed the game. I just watched the highlights and I am going to defend salo. Teams like detroit as smart. They bury their chances against the best goalies because they pick corners. The difference between the two team's maturity can be summed up in one play:

semenov chance in ot, he lets a wrister go, Legace slides over and covers the bottom 2/3 of the net and the puck hits him. I guaranttee that if it was hull or shanahan, that puck is just under the crossbar and in. Salo would make the identical save attempt but it wuld be a goal.

Give detroit some credit here. Allowing 4 goals against them is pretty good when they are on their game.

Old
11-02-2003, 05:02 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
Any goal can be explained away. The fact is we pay Salo big money to make big saves, the saves that he 'shouldn't' stop. Any average goalie can say he stops the ones he should and only gets scored on the ones that he has no chance on. But those average goalies get paid average money...
Last night was a big game for The Oilers. About to go on a long roadtrip, sustained several recent losses and the team comes out firing away and gives Salo a 2-goal lead. He has to make a big save if something breaks down, thats what he's there for.
He did make big saves, the penalty shot, several good chances from the slot, the glove save, the sliding save at the end of the 3rd period...

He made big saves and quality saves all night long... saves he shouldn't have had to make, but made them anyways.

This is utter stupidity... I mean, first its he didn't make any big saves, now it's, well he only made 3 or 4, he should have made 6... Come on. The fact is, the Oilers let a very good team get way too many good chances. Tommy bailed them out enough for them to get a point.

Old
11-02-2003, 07:40 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Yes, all this talk about him not making big saves is rediculous. The goals he has given up are given up by all goalies on a regular occurance. If Brodeur was playing in Edmonton right now he'd have a save % of under .900

The team hasn't given up a WHOLE BUNCH of SHOTS, but they have given up A GOOD GOD ***** LOAD OF POINT BLANK MISS AND YOU'RE A GOOF scoring chances!

(I'm just laughing now, that when people see my avatar and all the words in upper case, they will know how excited I am! lol)

Old
11-02-2003, 08:01 PM
Belcriss

vCash:
I agree with you on almost every point LMHF#1. My biggest problem with Salo is he is not unproven rookie. He has to be mentally tougher, and he is not. If this team is going to go anywhere, Salo has to carry the team. Its as simple as that. Salo let that first goal in, and that gave a rather lackluster Detroit team the opening they were looking for. Remember about two minutes before that when Legace robbed Smyth right out in front? Salo, where are the saves like that at critical times? Legace made 8 saves like that tonight, could have EASILY been 3 or 4 nothing before McCarty scored. You have to stop that first one Salo, it was a makeable save. I was so much more impressed with Legace, even in OT he was playing incredible. Legace stole a point from us tonight, and I thought the Oilers finally played with drive, emotion and grit that I expect from this team. Guys ALWAYS MAKE MISTAKES, goalies notwithstanding, but on the whole, I was very satisfied with the effort, other than that first goal that Salo let in. He has to stop that one, simply because this team is fragile, young, and they have to play like they know their goalie is unbeatable. See the letdown on the whole team after McCarty scored? Four goals in just over five mins if I remember right, and could have been worse. Salo did recover, BUT, we could have had two points here. the Oilers need to put some victories together, were still two goals below .500. UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Old
11-02-2003, 08:03 PM
Belcriss

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belcriss
I agree with you on almost every point LMHF#1. My biggest problem with Salo is he is not unproven rookie. He has to be mentally tougher, and he is not. If this team is going to go anywhere, Salo has to carry the team. Its as simple as that. Salo let that first goal in, and that gave a rather lackluster Detroit team the opening they were looking for. Remember about two minutes before that when Legace robbed Smyth right out in front? Salo, where are the saves like that at critical times? Legace made 8 saves like that tonight, could have EASILY been 3 or 4 nothing before McCarty scored. You have to stop that first one Salo, it was a makeable save. I was so much more impressed with Legace, even in OT he was playing incredible. Legace stole a point from us tonight, and I thought the Oilers finally played with drive, emotion and grit that I expect from this team. Guys ALWAYS MAKE MISTAKES, goalies notwithstanding, but on the whole, I was very satisfied with the effort, other than that first goal that Salo let in. He has to stop that one, simply because this team is fragile, young, and they have to play like they know their goalie is unbeatable. See the letdown on the whole team after McCarty scored? Four goals in just over five mins if I remember right, and could have been worse. Salo did recover, BUT, we could have had two points here. the Oilers need to put some victories together, were still two goals below .500. UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Meant to say two games below .500....

Old
11-02-2003, 08:38 PM
quat

Send a message via ICQ to quat
I taped the game and watched it a couple of times because it was such an exciting game. Kind of sloppy, but lot's of skating by the Oilers with some pretty goals.

Salo let in a couple of soft goals, but more than made up for them with huge saves before and after. I'm sorry, but IMO Brewer only marginally if at all, screened Salo on the shot from the blue line. It is a bit confusing though, because if you take the camera angle from the point, all you see if Brewer, and you'd think there was no chance for Salo. But it's the camera shot from behind Salo that tells the story. It's an obvious shot from way out that Salo either didn't expect or just got by him.

Old
11-03-2003, 05:02 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Yes, all this talk about him not making big saves is rediculous. The goals he has given up are given up by all goalies on a regular occurance. If Brodeur was playing in Edmonton right now he'd have a save % of under .900

The team hasn't given up a WHOLE BUNCH of SHOTS, but they have given up A GOOD GOD ***** LOAD OF POINT BLANK MISS AND YOU'RE A GOOF scoring chances!

(I'm just laughing now, that when people see my avatar and all the words in upper case, they will know how excited I am! lol)
Brodeur has an under .900 sv% and he plays for New Jersey, nevermind him playing for Edmonton.

Old
11-03-2003, 06:13 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Brodeur has an under .900 sv% and he plays for New Jersey, nevermind him playing for Edmonton.
lol. Yes

But how in the good ****** world can you blame a complete breakdown and lackadaisical defensive play by the Oilers on the goalie who had been playing great prior to that!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?? I just can't for the world under-stand how the Oilers going to bed for 10 minutes (The Oilers started playing like CRAP before Salo let in that GOAL)!!!!!!!!!

Old
11-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Master Lok

wow, what a great game!!

Agreed with some of your points, LMHF#1, disagreed with others:

1) Salo was again average. There were, after all 31 shots against him by the Detroit Red Wings. He did save a penalty shot. He did make the absolute robbery when he slid across the crease and stacked his pads and kept the score 4-4. Of the goals scored on him, I'd say again another defensive break down on McCarty's goal. No chance on Draper's deflection. You've got to be lucky to make a save on a deflection, and Salo's is not having any of the good luck kind. Hull simply outwaited Salo on his goal. I agree with dawgbone, I saw Salo go up and down several times before Hull finally let his shot loose. Let's see, Is is generally a wise idea to give BRETT HULL (man with 700 goals) all the time in the world to shoot in front of the net with nobody grabbing him? No.. If I was Salo, I would grab one of those so-called defenseman and pound him during the intermission. Lastly on Datsyuk's goal, it was just a quick snapper to the top corner. Great shot.

2) MAB - Great goal. He gave up numerous giveaways in his own end, but thank god it didn't cost the team. He (and his teammates which includes Salo) did well to recover on MAB's giveaways.

3) Hemsky - I thought he had only an average game. I thought Dvorak-York - Torres was the hot line tonight.

Closed Thread