HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - Kingston

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2006, 10:35 AM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
OT - Kingston

Just got accepted to Queen's University for Law School.

Is there anyone here from Kingston.

What's the city/campus like??

Old
05-01-2006, 11:00 AM
Russeltown

Congratulations. I heard it is difficult to be admitted @ Queen's.

Kingston is a very nice city, you'll see. Have you ever been to the 1000 Islands? It is, IMO, one of the most beautiful part of Eastern Canada.
The city is 50% pro-Hab and 50% pro-Leafs ... maybe a bit of Ottawa fans now also!.

Good luck!

Old
05-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sYn

Kingston is a very nice city, you'll see. Have you ever been to the 1000 Islands? It is, IMO, one of the most beautiful part of Eastern Canada.
The city is 50% pro-Hab and 50% pro-Leafs ... maybe a bit of Ottawa fans now also!.

Good luck!
Actually a pretty solid Boston base in Kingston too, fwiw.

Old
05-01-2006, 11:11 AM
digitalmonkey*

I heard Don Cherry sets up a kissing booth on the first day of classes to welcome everyone to the city.

----------------------------------

Congrats on your acceptance.

Old
05-01-2006, 11:36 AM
danbrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania
Just got accepted to Queen's University for Law School.

Is there anyone here from Kingston.

What's the city/campus like??
Hey man,

I go to Queen's as well (as an undergrad), congrats on getting in. The campus is beautiful and the city is very quaint, but Kingston can make you crazy if you don't take a break from it every once in awhile, especially if you're from Montreal.

As for hockey fans, Queen's students are mostly Leafs or Sens fans, but the city is pretty evenly divided between the Leafs, Sens, and Habs, and they usually cheer for all three. All those Leafs flags disappeared when they got knocked out though!

Msg me if you have any more questions, and good luck!

Old
05-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Beakermania*

Thanks all for the Congratulations, now and in future posts.

Still waiting on Western and Ottawa before I make my final decision. Will be a factor of cities/school reputation/ scholarship offers that will be put into this one.

I already know enough about Ottawa and London, i think, but Kingston is more of a mystery to me.

Is Kingston big enough for a guy who is used to Hamilton/Toronto area. Is there enough to do at night/weekends. Probably have to give up my car, will transportation be a problem??

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-01-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old
05-01-2006, 12:34 PM
digitalmonkey*

Quote:
Thanks all for the Congratulations, now and in future posts.

Still waiting on Western and Ottawa before I make my final decision. Will be a factor of cities/school reputation/ scholarship offers that will be put into this one.

I already know enough about Ottawa and London, i think, but Kingston is more of a mystery to me.

Is Kingston big enough for a guy who is used to Hamilton/Toronto area. Is there enough to do at night/weekends. Probably have to give up my car, will transportation be a problem??
Hold out for a no-expulsion clause.

Old
05-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sYn

Good luck!

I graduated from Queen's. Kingston is an historical city, in fact, much more like Montreal than Toronto although with a distinct small town feel. If you're living around Queen's almost everything you need is within walking distance including the port and the waterfront, which IMO is the nicest part of Kingston. The campus is very attractive, especially in the spring/summer/early fall. It's cold and windy in the winter, being right on the lake.

If you are considering the lease of a room or apartment close to school, my advice is to be cautious. This is an area known as the student Ghetto and it became famous nation-wide this year thanks to the raucous homecoming celebration that took place on the Aberdeen Street. But houses in this neighbourhood are fairly runned down and most of the landlords are absolute scum. I mean that. If there is one thing I can tell anybody living there, that's it. Any agreements you have, make sure they are in writing but as a future law student I'm sure you already know that.

In terms of Hockey fans, the city is probably divided evenly between Sens, Leafs and Habs fans. But the student body at Queens is predominanlty from SW Ontario and more like 50% Toronto, 30% Ottawa, 10% Montreal and 5% other. All in all, it's a very nice place to spend a few years although if you are not already from ON as a Habs fan I promise you that the Ontario media will waste no time driving you insane with Leafs coverage. Thankfully, Kingston is in the Sens Sportsnet region and TSN doesn't show regional coverage of leafs games in that area. For the Habs, you have to go with satelite to get RDS or NHL Centre Ice with Cogeco Cable for complete coverage. Otherwise, a visit to Shoeless Joes on Princess St is recommended. They have satelite and won't hesitate to change one of their TVs to whatever game you want to watch.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Catch-22: 05-01-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old
05-01-2006, 12:47 PM
Beakermania*

Being from Hamilton, dealing with the leafs centric media won't be a problem.

In fact without the ability to watch every single leafs game with my basic cable package, i will miss it. Not really, but I need to be sentimental about something.

Old
05-01-2006, 01:54 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
I go to school in Ottawa but I live in Kingston in the summer.
I have some buddies that go to Queens say its a good time.
The nightlife is decent but can get very annoying!
The girls are all right as they are anywhere else!
Respect what Catch 22 said he is 100% right the student ghetto is sketchy to say the least!

As for hockey fans previous posters are correct except that in the 35+ bracket there are countless Bruins fans!

Old
05-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Beakermania*

Any information on where to find good student housing. Websites to look for/avoid??

Old
05-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Rusty Shackleford
Leafs Nation

Was born and raised in Kingston, it's about 60 % Leafs, 40 % Habs, with the odd Sens, Bruins, or Wings fan, it's really old, the nightlife is supposley pretty good, there's alot of restaurants. and bars cramed into the downtown area, near city hall.
Also in the summer, they have ghost walks at the historic Fort Henry and downtown Kingston, and during the summer every night they have firewalks over Fort Henry when it gets dark out, I think it's something to do with the sunset festival or something, as for the winter, if you want to watch Hockey, we have an OHL team, the Kingston Frontenacs, who play at the old Kingston Memorial Centre, a new arena is being put up for 2009, also there arch-rival the Belleville Bulls, are just 45 minutes down the 401, also, if your not getting NHL Centre Ice, then you'll get Habs games, when it's on TSN, or on SRC, even though the city is full of Leafs-Bruins-Habs fans, the Sens own the rights to televise games there, I hope I didn't babble too much, it's a good historic city, have fun!

It is also the hometown of Don Cherry, Doug Gilmour, Kirk Muller, and Dan Aykroyd has a home here.

Old
05-01-2006, 05:33 PM
bonefizzle

I am from kingston, went to school in sudbury and Ottawa.I have been to bars all over. Honestly man the nightlife is actually quite good in kingston. I don't know anyone from a big city who has came down and not had a good time.

We have queens , st lawrence college and RMC , plus the locals so the bars are packed during the school year since there are a ton of students. Only an hour and 45 min , from ottawa and 30 min to the US border and almost in the middle of montreal and toronto.

What everyone else has said about the city and location is all true. As far as transportation , if you can bring your car I would. Unless you plan on staying around campus and downtown the whole time. The public transit station although free for students isnt that good..

Hope you enjoy it here... One more habs fan wooo

Old
05-02-2006, 06:07 AM
youngster

Hey, I'm from Kingston. It's a nice town and the Campus is great. It's right downtown so you are within walking distance to everything you need. One word of caution, stay away from Aberdeen Street. You'll understand what I mean when you get here. If the weather is OK in the winter there are a lot of outdoor rinks built in the downtown core. As far as hockey the Gael's aren't usually very good and the Frontenacs are getting better. NHL fans are split between the Habs and Leafs (more leaning towards the leafs though) with some Bruins and Sens fans in the mix. Good luck with your school and enjoy the city.

GO HABS GO!

Old
05-02-2006, 07:42 AM
puckeater

I live here too.

Your first year will be spent in residence anyway so you have a year to decide where to live. At the risk of sounding pro landlord here, the student ghetto is for the party animals who like to destroy things when they drink. No wonder the landlords are reluctant to beautify the homes on Aberdeen Street. Every year they have to replace whole bathrooms, doors, repair walls etc.

Anyway, it's a beautiful historic city being the first capital of Upper Canada and the students give it a hip feeling. Speaking of hip, the Tragically Hip live here and you'll see the guys around town now and then.

Many people who attend Queen's end up coming back here to raise a family and put down roots.

Good luck wherever you end up.

Old
05-02-2006, 04:53 PM
bonefizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckeater
I live here too.

Your first year will be spent in residence anyway so you have a year to decide where to live. At the risk of sounding pro landlord here, the student ghetto is for the party animals who like to destroy things when they drink. No wonder the landlords are reluctant to beautify the homes on Aberdeen Street. Every year they have to replace whole bathrooms, doors, repair walls etc.

Anyway, it's a beautiful historic city being the first capital of Upper Canada and the students give it a hip feeling. Speaking of hip, the Tragically Hip live here and you'll see the guys around town now and then.

Many people who attend Queen's end up coming back here to raise a family and put down roots.

Good luck wherever you end up.
First off, seeing as how he got accepted for Law school , I highly doubt he will be in rez.

Secondly, The student ghetto is not for party animals. If you want to live close to campus you have no choice but to live in the student ghetto whther you party or not. If you are a student , you won't mind living here at all. Only ones who complain are the older folk who have yet to move out.

Also the reason the houses are in such bad shape is because of the heritage laws which are in place in the city of kingston particularly in the ghetto. It is very hard for a landlord to upgrade anything. They must submit applications to the city who will then only allow them to upgrade if they can find the same material which was used originally.. Everyone blames the students but this is probably the biggest reason given the age of the homes in tht area especially. You can find basements in the ghetto which travel underground further then the size of the house because they were designed as old shelters.

Old
05-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22
I graduated from Queen's. Kingston is an historical city, in fact, much more like Montreal than Toronto although with a distinct small town feel. If you're living around Queen's almost everything you need is within walking distance including the port and the waterfront, which IMO is the nicest part of Kingston. The campus is very attractive, especially in the spring/summer/early fall. It's cold and windy in the winter, being right on the lake.

If you are considering the lease of a room or apartment close to school, my advice is to be cautious. This is an area known as the student Ghetto and it became famous nation-wide this year thanks to the raucous homecoming celebration that took place on the Aberdeen Street. But houses in this neighbourhood are fairly runned down and most of the landlords are absolute scum. I mean that. If there is one thing I can tell anybody living there, that's it. Any agreements you have, make sure they are in writing but as a future law student I'm sure you already know that..

I lived on Aberdeen St. when I went to Queen's. It is only like 2 blocks long. The Ghetto is fun and all but it is literally a slum. With run down 100+ year old houses with little insulation. With the energy prices double or more what it was 10 years ago when I went be careful. You could split a house with 3 guys and pay $8-900 a month in heat in the winter! Also the city of Kingston is poor and has terrible services. Often there would be 1 or 1 and a half feet of snow on the ground and they would not plow Aberdeen St. for like 4 or 5 days! Still it is cool in the sense that 95% of Queen's Students live within easy walking distance of each other and downtown. Unlike students in other cities where they are spread out.

You should go see the Frontenacs play. The arena is downtown and an easy walk from anywhere near campus.

Old
05-03-2006, 08:23 AM
Beakermania*

Yup, no rez for me... I did that in first year of my undergrad degree. I am now considered a grad/professional student.

Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate it

Old
05-10-2006, 08:20 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:

Its official, I'm going to Queen's...

Old
05-10-2006, 08:51 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I lived on Colborne, Earl and Princess streets when I went to Queen's. (Class of '01)

It's a funny place to go to school in that the walking radius around campus is 90 % comprised of students and you get used to just seeing 18-30 year olds everywhere you go.

Every time I came home to Ottawa for the holidays, I'd be struck by how many older people were around.

Of course, going back for Homecoming brings it all back. (Aberdeen gets worse every year )

Great atmosphere, good academic record, great location, a fine school to attend IMHO.

There are a couple residences for graduate students (e.g. in the JDUC, and Ann Clacken) if you can't find anywhere else to live.

Old
05-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Squeaky

Uh, a lot of you seem to know very little about the ghetto at Queens.

For starters, the ghetto is not the closest housing to campus. There are a large number of very nice houses that are literally across the street from Queens buildings. The ghetto isn't purely partying either, though there is quite a bit of partying that goes on in the ghetto. Aberdeen is like that, but Aberdeen is really a very small part of the ghetto.

The ghetto isn't as run-down as all that either. I've seen student housing in quite a few cities, and you can get excellent housing in Kingston, inside the supposed ghetto. There are places to avoid, but that's really as easy as looking at the place before you take it. I have friends who are currently living in really nice student housing in and around the ghetto, and are happy there.

As for the nighlife in Kingston, I have to say that it's pretty solid. Especially for a town the size of Kingston. It blows comparably sized cities (like say Kitchener-Waterloo, or Guelph) out of the water. The clubs are average at best, but there are a large number of excellent pubs, and Queens is known for it's parties, especially keggers. I would think that someone from Toronto might have a hard time adjusting, but if you're used to Hamilton you'll probably be ok.

edit: I grew up in Kingston, and went to highschool across the street from Queens campus, incase you're curious what my sources are.

Old
05-10-2006, 02:10 PM
HabsoluteFate

Always liked the bar scene in Kingston better than here in Ottawa...don't know if its because of all the hot students in Kingston or i'm just getting older or perhaps its both

Cocomo's used to be a hapenning place but that was like 7-8 years ago...last time i went a couple of years back it was pure crap...
i'm going to assume you still can't go wrong with AJ's or Stage's although I tend to go to grizzly's now since its an older crowd now (or it used to be last time i went anyways...been a while)

Old
05-10-2006, 03:12 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
There are a large number of very nice houses that are literally across the street from Queens buildings.
That's because they're Queen's property. The university owns them and rents them out to Queen's students who win the "housing lottery". A friend of mine lived in one of them behind the JDUC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
The ghetto isn't as run-down as all that either. I've seen student housing in quite a few cities, and you can get excellent housing in Kingston, inside the supposed ghetto. There are places to avoid, but that's really as easy as looking at the place before you take it. I have friends who are currently living in really nice student housing in and around the ghetto, and are happy there.
If you're in the Gore/Bagot street area, across the park, it's much nicer. If you're in the Division/University/Earl/Alfred area, it's a bit more rundown, but students will pay for it because they like the location.

Daphne Dean is an infamous landlord who has very nice houses but is a Nazi with respect to her rules.

Old
05-10-2006, 03:13 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate
Cocomo's used to be a hapenning place but that was like 7-8 years ago...last time i went a couple of years back it was pure crap...
The problem with that place is that it's close to RMC and you've got gangs of really short-haired guys showing up and acting tough.

They call it the "Poke-a-ho".

Old
05-10-2006, 03:51 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
The problem with that place is that it's close to RMC and you've got gangs of really short-haired guys showing up and acting tough.

They call it the "Poke-a-ho".
Way back when (7-8 years ago) there was always a huge lineup to get in that went around to the side/corner

Closed Thread