HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nhl Draft Sticky

Old
05-05-2006, 08:47 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy
If we're lucky, one or two of these guys might still be around at 16th:

Derrick Brassard, Brian Little, Kyle Okposo, Michael Frolik, Bob Sanguinetti, James Sheppard, Nigel Williams
Guys that are gone for sure by the time we pick:

1- Erik Johnson
2- Phil Kessel
3- Jordan Staal
4- Jonathan Toews
5- Nicklas Backstrom
6-10 Peter Mueller
I think there's a really good chance we'll get a shot at one of the names you mention. There are 13 names above. I agree 100% on the 6 who are guaranteed to be gone.

I would "expect" based on what we're hearing so far that Brassard and Okposo could be added to that group.

Other names to add to this group of 13 might include Jiri Tlusty and one of the goalies, Bernier or Huselius. Throw in a couple more names who might find a fan-team to take them early, like Chris Stewart or Michael Grabner, even Wishart still, and... voila... maybe you've got 19 names on this potential-top-15 list. Without going way off the board, which almost certainly at least one team will do.

So picking 16th is a pretty decent spot, because it does look like we'll get a chance anyway at a good player, and maybe even one of the really good ones who falls a bit.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 09:14 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
Actually Toews, Staal and Brassard shoot left. Pretty sure Frolik and Tlusty do as well.

And TGO, thank you for the Brassard avatar, almost makes up for your conversion to Leaf Nation. Almost.
Not according to this:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10631&hubname=

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 10:23 AM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz
Both those guys ahev been creeping up all the popular rankings as the season progressed. However, great size is greatly overrated IMO. Skills and speed should be the first criterias. If they have size as well, then it's a bonus.

Agreed!!!!!!

Size doesn't mean that much anymore, in the new NHL. Though, it's indeed true that we've small'ish centers with not much strenght. No need of wasting a pick on a big/strong center...if he doesn't have skills. Sheppard reminds me so much of Arnott, he's big, skilled his skating is decent. I'd trade up to get him...but I wouldn't pay that much. I dunno, the projected first round defencemans are a bit overrated...this year. Sanguinetti is a force offensively but he has had troubles in his own end. Wishart has some good offensive upside but in the u-18's he has been shaky. He has all the tools though...

I really don't know what'll happen, you guys should trust your scouts...

Last edited by CH Wizard: 05-05-2006 at 12:30 PM.
CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Blackshad

I want the Habs to draft Vishnesky in the first round!

I'v seen him live many time and this guys have a Markov potential.
Real fast, smooth skating, rush the puck, get back fast in is zone. He played over 30 min a game in the playoff and was the best D out there. He is 17 years old and that's extremely rare to see a defenceman of this age to play like that.

Blackshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshad
I want the Habs to draft Vishnesky in the first round!

I'v seen him live many time and this guys have a Markov potential.
Real fast, smooth skating, rush the puck, get back fast in is zone. He played over 30 min a game in the playoff and was the best D out there. He is 17 years old and that's extremely rare to see a defenceman of this age to play like that.
Saw him twice and was impressed too....A little too soon for a 1st rounder???

Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great One
Agreed!!!!!!

Size doesn't mean that much anymore, in the new NHL. Though, it's indeed true that we've small'ish center with not much strenght. No need of wasting a pick on a big/strong center...if he doesn't have skills. Sheppard reminds me so much of Arnott, he's big, skilled his skating is decent. I'd trade up to get him...but I wouldn't pay that much. I dunno, the projected first round defencemans are a bit overrated...this year. Sanguinetti is a force offensively but he has had troubles in his own end. Wishart has some good offensive upside but in the u-18's he has been shaky. He has all the tools though...

I really don't know what'll happen, you guys should trust your scouts...
Obviously, everytime I speak about size, I don't want Hal Gill's size or Simpson's size or Traverse's size, skill and tough on your skates, protecting the puck well and winning your battles 1 on 1 aboslutely needs to be part of that package. Having said that, I believe size is an issue when it comes of being consistant and tough enough to handle a 82 games schedule. Sure there's some exceptions, Bouillon, Bégin and all, but when I want to get bigger, I understand that the average of this team won,t be 6'4'' and 220. But we do need some guys like that as well. We all mentioned that one of the most important thing is balance, how do you get your balance if you don't have big strong and skilled guys doing their job as well. We have tons of speedy, skilled young players, some already here, some coming very soon, we must then address these other needs we have. Some spoke about Higgins being our power forward. But as gritty the guy is, he will never have the ability of doing that job over and over again and then some people will begin talking about how inconsistent he is, which would not be true, just not used as he should be used....

So when it comes to young prospects like Anisimov or Berglund (which I didn't see them played obviously) who seems to be in a group that can be easily picked in the 1st round or 2nd round, if they showed any hockey sense whatsoever and some great hands, I don't know why we couldn't consider them.....

Old
05-05-2006, 11:22 AM
CH Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake
I didn't think about Forney at all, do you have any reviews on him, links you can share with us???

What about reviews and links on the other players you've mentioned???

I know that some names in there, with what I've read are truly interesting. Names like Grabner, Maxwell, McBain, Nodl and Osala (which I think we'll be long gone before 96th. It seems that this guy began slowly but finished strong and with him being so big, he'll be gone before. Grabner, well it seems he's all offense, which is not a problem for me, heard that he's a dynamo, very skilled, needs work in the defensive zone, but who doesn't....I would like to pick him....Wishart, I'm not too sure anymore, with the kind of performances he gave at the U-18, was dissapointed. But it's really 2 games that I saw so....

Good work!
Forney could be a good fit for you guys. From the scouting reports i've read , he's a big center with a tremendous scoring touch. I'll try to find you a scouting report...later.

Nodl is a guy I like. He's a 87' (He turned 19 in february) but he has had a really good season , in the USHL. I expect him to be '' the third best forward coming out of Austria, in the future''He was available, last year. He's going to the St-Cloud State college, next season. He has no flaws, in his offensive game he's fast, has a good shot and better then ok playmaking skills. I see him going late, only because of his age.

Mcbain was a beast, in the u-18's. His two way game looked excellent, he can generate some offence while being good in his own end. Habs should really keep an eye on this guy!!! He was almost as good as Erik Johnson out there.

Osala plays for a really weak team. The best scorer of his team, hasn't even 60 points. I'll be surprised if he's going to still be available in the 3,4 rounds. Do you remember Mathieu Roy? He was projected to go early but because of his low amount of points, he hasn't been drafted. Osala is big and apparently has good playmaking skills. Some scouts doubt his physical game...but it can still be improved, he's young.

Maxwell plays for Kootenay (it isn't an offensive team) and he's a finesse perimiter type of player so that is probably why his stock has fallen. He's got decent size at 6'0'', but plays like he's 5'8. I think he'll be an early 2nd round pick, but if a team wants to take a chance on a speedy skilled player, he could be a first rounder. Remember he was the best skater at the prospects skills competition.

Grabner's stock is really rising fast, I'd be surprised if he's going to be available to your ''46th pick''. He has interesting offensive skills, he's fast and a hell of a goalscorer. He was really impressive , in the prospects game. He isn't a defensive liability either.

Trevor Lewis is another guy, you guys should keep an eye on. He has interesting size and skills. He reminds me so much of Travis Zajac!!!!! He was his team best scorer and it was his second season, in the USHL. I really like him...

If you guys draft one of the following guys (in the 2nd round), I mentionned, you should be pretty happy!!

Last edited by CH Wizard: 05-05-2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old
05-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great One
Forney could be a good fit for you guys. From the scouting reports i've read , he's a big center with a tremendous scoring touch. I'll try to find you a scouting report...later.

Nodl is a guy I like. He's a 87' (He turned 19 in february) but he has had a really good season , in the USHL. I expect him to be '' the third best forward coming out of Austria, in the future''He was available, last year. He's going to the St-Cloud State college, next season. He has no flaws, in his offensive game he's fast, has a good shot and better then ok offensive skills. I see him going late, only because of his age.

Mcbain was a beast, in the u-18's. His two way game looked excellent, he can generate some offence while being good in his own end. Habs should really keep an eye on this guy!!! He was almost as good as Erik Johnson out there.

Osala plays for a really weak team. The best scorer of his team, hasn't even 60 points. I'll be surprised if he's going to still be available in the 3,4 rounds. Do you remember Mathieu Roy? He was projected to go early but because of his low amount of points, he hasn't been drafted. Osala is big and apparently has good playmaking skills. Some scouts doubt his physical game...but it can still be improved, he's young.

Maxwell plays for Kootenay (it isn't a much offensive team) and he's a finesee perimiter type of player so that is probably why his stock has fallen. He's got decent size at 6'0'', but plays like he's 5'8. I think he'll be an early 2nd round pick, but if a team wants to take a chance on a speedy skilled player, he could be a first rounder. Remember he was the best skater at the prospects skills comp.

Grabner's stock is really rising fast, I'd be surprised if he's going to be available to your ''46th pick''. He has interesting offensive skills, he's fast and a hell of a goalscorer. He was really impressive , in the prospects game. He isn't a defensive liability either.

Trevor Lewis is another guy, you guys should keep an eye on. He has interesting size and skills. He reminds me so much of Travis Zajac!!!!! He was his team best scorer and it was his second, in the USHL. I really like him...

If you guys draft one of the following guys (in the 2nd round), I mentionned, you should be pretty happy!!
Thanks a lot!

So there is much more than we expected. Understand that the first 10 seems to be in a class of their own but there's a lot of other interesting names there...

Old
05-05-2006, 11:32 AM
CH Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix
Thanks a lot!

So there is much more than we expected. Understand that the first 10 seems to be in a class of their own but there's a lot of other interesting names there...
No problems. I've been impressed by the depht of the mid-rounds this season. Like I said, habs should really try to get more 2nd, 3rd round picks, this year. I'm sure, they'll do a good job...at the draft table.

And yeah, I understand....Asnimov and Berglund are two interesting prospects. Both were good at the u-18's, Berglund showed good offensive instincts. I'd pick him over Vasyunov.

Old
05-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 646
Hey TGO, I'd just like to thank you for sharing your knowledge on these ''obscure'' prospects of this draft, feel free to continue to add some please! There's lots of good info in your posts. Your english is also improving pretty nicely over the last 2 years I must say.

Fozz, here's the proof that they are lefty shots:

[IMAGE]http://www.collegehockeynews.com/images/action/0506/ndk_j_toews.jpg[/IMAGE]

[IMAGE]http://www.lebulletinregional.com/images/articles/7/20061473253lbr_sag_04012006.jpg[/IMAGE]

[IMAGE]http://gopetesgo.com/gallery/albums/album09/MG_6963.sized.jpg[/IMAGE]

[IMAGE]http://images.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/_photos/2005-10-25-frolik.jpg[/IMAGE]

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 12:33 PM
Fozz

lol
Can't argue with those!
Good job Marc.

I guess I'll the CSB site for that info in the future... They have them all correct.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 10:03 PM
bopeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix
So when it comes to young prospects like Anisimov or Berglund (which I didn't see them played obviously) who seems to be in a group that can be easily picked in the 1st round or 2nd round, if they showed any hockey sense whatsoever and some great hands, I don't know why we couldn't consider them.....
Interesting - both individuals who require a closer look as our 1st and 2nd line center's job in the very near future is completely a mystery

bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopeep
Interesting - both individuals who require a closer look as our 1st and 2nd line center's job in the very near future is completely a mystery
Not sure I understand what you're saying...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 10:08 PM
bopeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake
Not sure I understand what you're saying...
Point being that most attention is drawn towards or dearth of d-men depth whereas concern up the middle is something to be considered - especially on the first 2 lines.

bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I also would like it if we take Forney, trade a couple of players for 3rd rounds picks, and then draft defenceman

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Genghis Keon

What do you guys think about Brian Strait, D-man on the U18 USNDT? I haven't seen him play, but I've heard good things and, from most rankings I've seen, he's considered a first rounder.

On the prospect board, Jon Prescription gave this description of him in his "top 15 2006 Draft American prospect rankings":

"Brian Strait, D - I think that Strait might be the meanest American player in the draft. His hits are almost always clean, but by the look of some of them it looks like he could just knock the wind out of anyone who gets in his way. He's a solid skater who is pretty much just a defensive player without any real offensive upside. Solid top 4 guy, but never will be a top 1 or 2, most likely."

Here's what Central Scouting says about him (note, CSS usually only says the good things about players):

"BRIAN IS A VERY GOOD SKATER WITH GOOD SPEED – HE HAS A STRONG POWERFUL STRIDE WITH EXCELLENT BALANCE AND AGILITY- A VERY GOOD BACKWARD SKATER WHO IS EFFORTLESS IN HIS LATERAL MOVEMENT- HANDLES THE PUCK WITH CONFIDENCE - MAKES THE FIRST OUTLET PASS QUICKLY AND ON THE TAPE – USES THE BOARDS TO HIS ADVANTAGE IN MOVING THA PUCK TO BREAKING FORWARDS - HAS A HARD ACCURATE LOW SHOT FROM THE POINT- EFFECTIVE AT KEEPING THE PUCK IN THE OFFENSIVE ZONE ALONG THE BLUE LINE – A SOUND POSITIONAL PLAYER IN HIS OWN END BOTH IN THE CORNERS AND IN FRONT OF THE NET- SEES THE ICE WELL – HAS VERY GOOD HOCKEY SENSE- USED IN ALL GAME SITUATIONS

"BRIAN IS AN AGGRESSIVE PLAYER WHO PLAYS WITHIN THE RULES - FINISHES HIS CHECKS WITH AUTHORITY- A CLEAN BUT PUNISHING OPEN ICE HITTER THAT OPPONENTS ARE ALWAYS AWARE OF IN THE NEUTRAL ZONE – IS PHYSICAL IN FRONT OF THE NET WITH HIS COVERAGE - USES HIS STICK LOW ON HIS OPPONENT TO GAIN AN ADVANTAGE - NEVER HESITATES TO GO IN CORNERS FIRST ON DUMP–INS - TAKES A HIT TO PROTECT THE PUCK- WELL RESPECTED BY HIS TEAMMATES AND COACHES FOR HIS LEADERSHIP ON THE ICE - WILL BLOCK SHOTS ANYWHERE IN THE DEFENSIVE ZONE – HIS TEAM'S CAPTAIN - LEADS BY EXAMPLE – DISPLAYS MENTAL TOUGHNESS

"BRIAN CONTINUES TO BE MORE CONFIDENT WITH HIS OFFENSIVE SKILLS AND CONTINUE TO GET STRONGER IN HIS UPPER BODY

"WILL ATTEND BOSTON UNIVERSITY IN THE FALL OF 2006 - MEMBER 0F US UNDER 17 TEAM 2004-05"

Here's usahockey.com article on him.

He's not a particularly sexy pick (doesn't seem to have a whole lot of offensive ability), but neither were guys like Shea Weber and Ryan Parent in their draft years and I'd love either of them on our team. For those who've seen him, what do you think about him?

Genghis Keon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 01:35 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

I'm glad you brought Strait's name, Genghis.

Brian Strait's scouting profile make him sounds a lot like Nashville's Ryan Parent. He won't be a flashy offensive guy at any point of his pro career, but he will be reliable guy that can be relied on in pretty much every situation. You can't really go wrong with a defensive-minded blueliner with a fluid stride, a willingness to use the body and good hockey sense - even though it is often a low-risk/low-reward pick.

If Gainey, Timmins and co. are looking towards drafting Strait in the first round, they could look into trading down. I'm no expert, but if you look at previous years, you don't see many of those guys get picked in the top 15 too often. Parent received lots of praise in 2005, and yet he was selected only at #18... Strait doesn't really get much talk, so it's not impossible that he will be available when our 2nd pick comes.

didjuicythat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 05:21 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Strait is one of the guys I'd be interested in us getting. I only saw him once though and still haven't really gotten into researching this draft but as it slowly sinks in that our season is over, I'll start doing more work. So far this draft is the least excited I've been about any draft since '99. But I still think we will land something good and imo Savard/Timmins in the early stages have an impressive collection of 1st round picks in Komisarek, Perezhogin, Higgins, Kostitsyn, Chipchura and Price so I look forward to seeing who's going to be added to the list.

It does look like it's going to be a good draft for Americans, especially defense, so I'm really glad I got to see USA play at the U-18's. Vishnesky is another guy that I am interested in us getting.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 07:03 PM
VanNistelrooy

Where do you think Glaude Giroux and Francois Bouchard will be drafted ?

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

No one talk about Joenssuu , i think he's a sure fire 1st rounder this year and i like his package of skills. Where he's expected to go and would he be a good choice for the Habs ?

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 08:20 PM
gars59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Zednik
I also would like it if we take Forney, trade a couple of players for 3rd rounds picks, and then draft defenceman
that probably the thing that will happen for ribeiro and bonk .....

gars59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 08:32 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
No one talk about Joenssuu , i think he's a sure fire 1st rounder this year and i like his package of skills. Where he's expected to go and would he be a good choice for the Habs ?

I'd guess later 1st round. I wouldn't go for him at 16th but who knows what Gainey has up his sleeve.

Quote:
Where do you think Glaude Giroux and Francois Bouchard will be drafted ?
Late 1st early 2nd for both. Q guys tend to drop at times. I still can't believe Mathieu Roy wasn't drafted last year. I thought he'd be a 3rd-4th rounder. So you never know what will happen at the draft.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 07:50 AM
Toro

[QUOTE=Blind Gardien]
We have a kid here for the Majors, Ryan Wilson, who sort of reminds me of Ruzicka (inasmuch as my brief glimpse of Ruzicka can ever serve as an adequate point of comparison). Enough size, good shot, awfully rough on his skates, questionable decision-making and quick temper. Wilson probably should have been drafted last year but wasn't, and maybe somebody will still take a chance on him this year, because he does have such an intriguing set of attributes all wrapped up in his mysterious package, but it's pretty clear that the footwork can really hurt a defenseman's status in the draft,

QUOTE]

I have played pickup hockey with Ryan Wilson since he was 15-16 a few times a year mostly during the summers. I work with his uncle who has helped Ryans development. When i played with him the first time(he had to be 15) he scored 7 goals on me (7) out of 9-10 against me. We had the ice for 1.5 HRS.

He played defence most of that game paired up with his uncle.

He displayed at that time Great hands, quick release, ability to deke and putthe puck where ever he wanted. good speed and size and strength.

When he did not get drafted last year i couldn't believe it.
The boy is now a man and owns me when we have played. (im no pro) but i have played goal for 20 yrs and have gotten better recently with a few surgeries i needed in my arms and got some new gear over the last few yrs, but this kid is great. He rarely lets go 100% on his slapper but i asked him to when he had a clear lane. He did and wow what a shot. Guick release and great accuracy. I have faced a few big 80 - 90mph shots before and his is there, at the upper part of that scale if not in the low 90's. It is great when i can make a save on him but it is usually when it bounces or hits the edge of my gear and hits the post.

Ryan has heart, desire, skills, and would make any team better....

He will play in the NHL and i hope it is for MTL, although i don't believe he cares who he plays for he just loves to play hockey..

Good luck Ryan Wilson

Last edited by Toro: 05-07-2006 at 07:56 AM.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro
I have played pickup hockey with Ryan Wilson since he was 15-16 a few times a year mostly during the summers. I work with his uncle who has helped Ryans development. When i played with him the first time(he had to be 15) he scored 7 goals on me (7) out of 9-10 against me. We had the ice for 1.5 HRS.

He played defence most of that game paired up with his uncle.

He displayed at that time Great hands, quick release, ability to deke and putthe puck where ever he wanted. good speed and size and strength.

When he did not get drafted last year i couldn't believe it.
The boy is now a man and owns me when we have played. (im no pro) but i have played goal for 20 yrs and have gotten better recently with a few surgeries i needed in my arms and got some new gear over the last few yrs, but this kid is great. He rarely lets go 100% on his slapper but i asked him to when he had a clear lane. He did and wow what a shot. Guick release and great accuracy. I have faced a few big 80 - 90mph shots before and his is there, at the upper part of that scale if not in the low 90's. It is great when i can make a save on him but it is usually when it bounces or hits the edge of my gear and hits the post.

Ryan has heart, desire, skills, and would make any team better....

He will play in the NHL and i hope it is for MTL, although i don't believe he cares who he plays for he just loves to play hockey..

Good luck Ryan Wilson
Thanks for that Toro!

I've probably seen Wilson almost 50 times in the last two years, and the one thing I've often wondered about Wilson is about his off-ice demeanour, his desire, character, etc. The sort of things you have no real way of telling just by watching the games. Or at least, not much.

Wilson has so much going for him (huge hits, he'll fight with anyone, he has an absolute cannon of a shot like you say and consistently picks the top corner with his slapper from the blueline) that it'd be a shame if somebody doesn't give him a shot, even if it's just a camp invititation. I don't honestly know how he projects as a pro, because he'll still have the mental and skating issues to work on, but the rest of his game is so natural that it definitely warrants notice. And again, that's why I find it bizarre that some people can suggest a guy like David Ruzicka might be a 1st round candidate in the NHL draft, when a somewhat similar-looking talent like Wilson is totally ignored. (The reality is probably somewhere in the middle for both of them, of course).

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
I'm Back / 2006 NHL Draft

Yeah I'm back...That was inhuman, I hope they send you guys to the U.N. Trial for these crimes against humanity!

Taking me away from HFboards

lol... it's all good...I should really thank you guys, I passed My Exams!!

so

Who are we drafting this year? Who are the good prospects... Anyone have some scouting reports?

I'm kinda into Frolik cuz I hear he's got Jagr Potential...I've always thought u go with Potential

I know about Brassard cuz he plays with Latendresse...

Towes, Kessel and that D guys who's #1 rated i can't remember but they are out of our reach.

So who do we get?

Frolik?

--Discuss--

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote