Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
A spear to the groin is "part of his game". What game is that? Give your head a shake man.

I won't accuse Downie of lacking courage. But he is ridiculously undisciplned and not too bright considering how close he came to being turfed out of Jr this yr. STUPID!
I think the kid's a bit smarter than you give him credit for.

Old
05-07-2006, 11:41 PM
JrHockeyFan

Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
I think the kid's a bit smarter than you give him credit for.
He is gritty. He is a disturber. But he has been suspended 2 or 3 times this year for extremely dumb actions. He got 5 games this year for bullying

He is not smart enough to control himself. It is what got him in trouble in the Aliu affair to start the year out. Again, bullying.

On many levels I actually like the kid. But smart? Not at all. I can see this guy creating himself a lot of troubles in life.

Old
05-08-2006, 12:12 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
You really need to take off your I hate the Knights hat and at least try to be consistent.

You were remarkably quick to brand Bolland for his incident and now this. Contact with a skate, as light as it was netted him 4 games. While the spear by Downie was not a hard shot (pretty much par with the contact made by Bolland on Laser Angelidis) it was a deliberate act and a spear none the less. It was after the period ended as well.
Yup, I hate the Knights and I don't care to hide it.

Bolland kicked the guy and by the precedent set out by the league, kicking is unacceptable. So what? He got what he deserved. I only argued against people who denied it ever happened or who thought it wasn't deserving of suspension. Had no one in the history of the OHL ever been suspended for kicking, I would not have cared if he was suspended or not. For the sake of consistency, I wanted him suspended.

Downie I'm sure will get what he deserves too. But have you ever seen someone suspended for doing what he did? Where's the precedent? I've seen it a bunch of times during games and nothing comes of it. But right, we're talking about a certain name, so he must be suspended for doing anything. And yes, doing that sort of thing is part of his game. As bush league as you call it, that's who he is and I love him for it. He's not afraid to do what it takes. He crosses the line and pisses you and a lot of other people off in the process, he's a-okay in my books. As you said Jr, he definitely hurt Martinelli but it didn't injure him. So it can't be that serious, can it?

What really bugs me about fans like you is that the Knights are the most sleazy, manipulative team out there, and you're going to complain about this? Perhaps you didn't see how that idiot of a coach acted all game, imagine him having the balls to call out another team for diving when the two or three biggest divers in league history play or have played for him in the last few years. Or how about Schremp crying like a baby all game (especially after it was over) because things didn't go his way. He was throwing cheap shots behind the play that the camera caught numerous times. Or maybe you'd like to discuss the two deliberate head shots delivered at high speed by Belan that are far more deserving of suspension than the little jab by Downie.

And thanks for pointing out that it was a national broadcast because I'm pretty damn sure the only people who embarassed themselves coast to coast were Dale Hunter and Rob Schremp.

I don't try to hide my bias when it comes to Downie because I'm sick of people jumping to conclusions and labelling him as a menace just because he's Branch's favourite pin cushion. I lose all objectivism the minute his name is brought up because I know I'm outnumbered 100-1 when it comes to attacking vs. defending him and I also know that those 100 people are going to be just as stubborn and lose all sight of the facts because they heard the name "Downie". It's pathetic how people respond when he pulls a little stunt like this in a game filled with cheap shots and dirty plays.

Old
05-08-2006, 12:50 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
A spear to the groin is "part of his game". What game is that? Give your head a shake man.
The best part is this guy went on full scale PMS when saying how clean hits should be outlawed by the NHL when Umberger got laid out.

Now he is here justifying cheap shots.

I wouldn't take him seriously. He has already been proven to be a hypocrite.

Old
05-08-2006, 12:56 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye!
The best part is this guy went on full scale PMS when saying how clean hits should be outlawed by the NHL when Umberger got laid out.

Now he is here justifying cheap shots.

I wouldn't take him seriously. He has already been proven to be a hypocrite.
Add something to the discussion or get out.

Justifying cheap shots? No. Sticking up for a favourite player because he doesn't get a fair shake? Absolutely.

Like I said, add something or don't post.

Trust me, your **** doesn't stink any less than mine.

Do you even know what the OHL is? It's funny I've never seen you post here...except for when you feel like taking a shot at another poster and providing nothing but a waste of space.

Old
05-08-2006, 01:15 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
Add something to the discussion or get out.
Are you a mod? Didn't think so.

Quote:
Justifying cheap shots? No. Sticking up for a favourite player because he doesn't get a fair shake? Absolutely.
The hypocrite strikes again.

Quote:
Like I said, add something or don't post.
Have they made you a mod yet? Didn't think so.

Quote:
Trust me, your **** doesn't stink any less than mine.
Why would I want to go around smelling anyone's ****?

Quote:
Do you even know what the OHL is? It's funny I've never seen you post here...except for when you feel like taking a shot at another poster and providing nothing but a waste of space.
Actually, I came to see how Jordan Staal did in the game, since the Caps are in position to draft him, but lo and behold I found a proven hypocrite spewing again. But feel free to return to your regularly scheduled hypocrisy.

Old
05-08-2006, 01:24 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Are you a mod? Didn't think so.

The hypocrite strikes again.

Have they made you a mod yet? Didn't think so.

Why would I want to go around smelling anyone's ****?

Actually, I came to see how Jordan Staal did in the game, since the Caps are in position to draft him, but lo and behold I found another hypocrite spewing again. But feel free to return to your regularly scheduled hypocrisy.
Good to see you're still wasting space.

You won't find any info on Jordan Staal here. Didn't you know the only thing that matters in the OHL is what Steve Downie has done this time?

Of course there's always more discussion about other posters and whether they're hypocrites or not. It's funny, if I call you an *******, I'd get a warning, even if it's true. But if you call me a hypocrite, 25 times in the span of 10 minutes, that's okay. What a crazy world we live in eh?

Taking the word of a Sabre fan with too much time on their hands tells me all I need to know about your character anyway. Let's call it even.

Old
05-08-2006, 01:31 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
You won't find any info on Jordan Staal here. Didn't you know the only thing that matters in the OHL is what Steve Downie has done this time?
I won't find anything if you keep turning it into your own personal soapbox about how you are a morally superior fan than everyone else. Now you want to actually tell me how he did?
Quote:
Of course there's always more discussion about other posters and whether they're hypocrites or not. It's funny, if I call you an *******, I'd get a warning, even if it's true. But if you call me a hypocrite, 25 times in the span of 10 minutes, that's okay. What a crazy world we live in eh?
Difference is that you have already been proven to be a hypocrite, while ******* is more or less subjective thing.
Quote:
Taking the word of a Sabre fan with too much time on their hands tells me all I need to know about your character anyway. Let's call it even.
Uh I think I made it pretty clear I wasn't a Sabres fan when I said why I was reading this thread in the first place.

Old
05-08-2006, 01:43 AM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
What about the game?

I had to work tonight so I couldn't watch the game. Can anybody tell me about the game? How did Staal look. I heard Dennis was hurt and 17-year-old Steve Mason played. How did he look?

Old
05-08-2006, 02:02 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
I won't find anything if you keep turning it into your own personal soapbox about how you are a morally superior fan than everyone else. Now you want to actually tell me how he did? Difference is that you have already been proven to be a hypocrite, while ******* is more or less subjective thing.Uh I think I made it pretty clear I wasn't a Sabres fan when I said why I was reading this thread in the first place.
I said you took the side of a Sabre fan with too much time on his hands, I understand you're a Caps fan.

Anyways, enough of this bickering, I'll try to be helpful and get this back on track.

I haven't had a lot of time to watch the Petes this year but the one thing I've noticed about Jordan is how cool he is with the puck. He never panics and sometimes appears to be moving in slow motion just because he makes his play look so effortless. He always makes the right play and has some nifty moves for a big kid. A lot of people say he was the best player on the ice from both sides in game two, and that's a high praise considering how good Bolland and Schremp are (although Bolland has been invisible for most of the playoffs).

Scribe, Dennis has the famous "lower body injury" that was either sustained or discovered during warmups, although someone on an OHL forum is claiming it was known the day before that he was hurt. Mason looked very good and had some highlight reel saves. He was the very last thing on the list of "why the Knights lost game two". On the game winning goal in OT, the Knight defenseman bumped into him after some contact with the Petes player and it knocked him out of position leaving an easy tap in. It was actually too bad, he handled himself well and I would've liked to have seen him come away with a victory for stepping into a tough situation and performing the way he did.

Old
05-08-2006, 09:51 AM
London Knights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe
I had to work tonight so I couldn't watch the game. Can anybody tell me about the game? How did Staal look. I heard Dennis was hurt and 17-year-old Steve Mason played. How did he look?
He played fine, but he is no Dennis. He needs more playing time to be consistenly good, but he should be well suited to starting next season. This season isn't the time for Mason to be in net, but nothing you can do when injuries come up.

Old
05-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe
I thought Staal looked pretty good. Maybe even really good. I guess it doesn't show on the scoreboard, but I keep thinking that he's showing more and more confidence all the time, holding onto the puck a little bit longer, trying to do just a little bit more with it. Good signs for next year, for sure.

Mason was certainly adequate, and, like Staal, it's probably a good sign for next year. He should be a viable #1 for the Knights after Dennis is gone. Couldn't fault him for anything that happened, he was taken out of the play on the OT goal. The only thing he lacks on Dennis IMO is the ability to have that random absolutely-unbelievable-stand-on-his-head kind of game once in a while. Technically and physically he probably looks like a more conventional goalie who will appeal more to the scouts down the road, though.

The real story in the game was unfortunately officiating, though. I'm not a Knights fan or a Petes fan, so I hope I'm less biased than some. I'd grudgingly acknowledge that perhaps it was called evenly enough. Except it was the sort of game where they were calling all kinds of little things or borderline things, which really gets the coaches and players ticked off. Not at all unusual in this OHL season, of course, still very typical.

The problem is, I think the Knights were playing closer to that borderline than the Petes were, so there was definitely going to be an impression created that the Knights were getting the shaft. Hunter was doing his usual sideshow, but on some of those hits that were called for charging or checking from behind... wow. And then of course whenever you get the refs calling it with a microscope like that, and a few phantom calls creep in, then it makes it all the more frustrating when they start to put the whistle away on some of the stuff that happens later in the game.

I just feel like you could have taken half the penalties out of that game, had a much more entertaining product, and saved some of the frustration and sideshow aspect of it. It just encourages more and more embellishing and faking and diving, to the point where you can't even really guess if Downie's spear or some of the other acts deserved attention or not. It's just impossible to say from watching the game. The OHL is really putting itself in a position to encourage more and more of this stuff, IMO.

Old
05-08-2006, 02:43 PM
OHLArenaGuide

The Knights lost game 2 for the same reason they lost game 1: because someone has to lose. The series has been ridiculously even so far and Peterborough is lucky to be up 2-0, just as London would be lucky to be up 2-0 if they were.

Old
05-08-2006, 03:21 PM
toomanymen

I don't try to hide my bias when it comes to Downie because I'm sick of people jumping to conclusions and labelling him as a menace just because he's Branch's favourite pin cushion.

Jumping to conclusions? How about observing an established record? I'm a Knights fan and I hated how people apologized for Danny Bois when he was our captain. He was a dirty, cheap shot artist, nothing more. Same with Downie. Interesting how his effectiveness in the OHL is lessened compared to the WJC where for some reason players are allowed to skate full speed from the blue line in and lay the body on defensemen and then have rose petals tossed at their feet.

Or maybe you'd like to discuss the two deliberate head shots delivered at high speed by Belan that are far more deserving of suspension than the little jab by Downie.

Belan was penalized for them. Downie was not. You must have also missed all of Downie's little antics on Schremp at faceoffs (i.e. pushing helmet down from the back etc.). This was reported to me by my buddy who is a Pete's fan and was at the game. He is what he is, a s**t disturber, no more, no less. Don't compare his antics to anything Schremp does, the talent doesn't compare. Some people sing in the shower, doesn't make them a recording artist...

Old
05-08-2006, 03:51 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanymen
Jumping to conclusions? How about observing an established record? I'm a Knights fan and I hated how people apologized for Danny Bois when he was our captain. He was a dirty, cheap shot artist, nothing more. Same with Downie. Interesting how his effectiveness in the OHL is lessened compared to the WJC where for some reason players are allowed to skate full speed from the blue line in and lay the body on defensemen and then have rose petals tossed at their feet.

Belan was penalized for them. Downie was not. You must have also missed all of Downie's little antics on Schremp at faceoffs (i.e. pushing helmet down from the back etc.). This was reported to me by my buddy who is a Pete's fan and was at the game. He is what he is, a s**t disturber, no more, no less. Don't compare his antics to anything Schremp does, the talent doesn't compare. Some people sing in the shower, doesn't make them a recording artist...
Yes, people jump to conclusions everytime he does something. I've heard people say he should be locked up, some people say he's psychologically disturbed, an idiot reporter from Philadelphia compared him to a convicted rapist. You're definitely right, he's a **** disturber, but he's also a talented hockey player and a ferocious competitor. Those things are usually lost in these discussions.

And as far as "his effectiveness in the OHL is lessened compared to the WJC"...how do you figure that? He has a goal and three assists in two close victories over the top regular season team. I don't know about you, but 4 points in two games is pretty good in my books, especially given how deep Peterborough is.

Old
05-08-2006, 05:11 PM
toomanymen

but he's also a talented hockey player and a ferocious competitor

Talented, reasonably. I draw the line at ferocious. Spearing another man in the you know whats from behind is akin to Alomar spitting in the ump's face. You don't ever do it, end of story, especially when you know in the playoffs there won't be retribution. It was a chicken s**t move, and you can't argue that.

Old
05-08-2006, 05:26 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:

Talented, reasonably. I draw the line at ferocious. Spearing another man in the you know whats from behind is akin to Alomar spitting in the ump's face. You don't ever do it, end of story, especially when you know in the playoffs there won't be retribution. It was a chicken s**t move, and you can't argue that.
I cannot argue that, no. But what I can argue is that it happens a number of times every game, it's just not always so obvious. It's not a big deal to me. And yet again, Steve Downie does something very common but it gets blown out of proportion because of his reputation.

Old
05-08-2006, 05:26 PM
STS44

Quote:

There won't be retribution? I wouldn't bank on that statement. If I was different
kind of person I would say put Jarram in the lineup tomorrow night and the first time Downie steps on the ice have him put Downie through the boards with a check.
But that would be coming down to Downie's level .... Best way would be for the Knights to win the next four games!

Old
05-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STS44
There won't be retribution? I wouldn't bank on that statement. If I was different
kind of person I would say put Jarram in the lineup tomorrow night and the first time Downie steps on the ice have him put Downie through the boards with a check.
But that would be coming down to Downie's level .... Best way would be for the Knights to win the next four games!
That wouldn't be coming down to Downie's level, coming out and throwing cheap shots is right up Jarram's alley. He does nothing but crosscheck people and try to start fights. It's no wonder he gets two minutes a night, and only usually when the Knights are losing - he's a walking powerplay for the opposition.

Old
05-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Boomhower

That would also suggest that Jarram can skate fast enough to catch up to the play and throw a hit.

Steve Downie is the scum of the league, no question about it, but I'd still take him on my team.

Old
05-08-2006, 06:12 PM
toomanymen

It's no wonder he gets two minutes a night

I've watched enough Knights games this year to see his stupid penalties, and also those based on reputation, isn't that the issue you're bringing up re: Downie? An example, his hit in the Owen Sound series was clean, but because of who he is, garnered far more than if it was Dylan Hunter.

Old
05-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Rebecca

Quote:
He is gritty. He is a disturber. But he has been suspended 2 or 3 times this year for extremely dumb actions. He got 5 games this year for bullying

He is not smart enough to control himself. It is what got him in trouble in the Aliu affair to start the year out. Again, bullying.

On many levels I actually like the kid. But smart? Not at all. I can see this guy creating himself a lot of troubles in life.
A lack of control doesn't necessarily imply a lack of intelligence. This is a fairly popular opinion, but that doesn't make it correct

Old
05-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
It's no wonder he gets two minutes a night

I've watched enough Knights games this year to see his stupid penalties, and also those based on reputation, isn't that the issue you're bringing up re: Downie? An example, his hit in the Owen Sound series was clean, but because of who he is, garnered far more than if it was Dylan Hunter.
I'm not claiming Downie receives PIMs based on reputation like you are concerning Jarram, I'm talking about his reputation with posters on this board and others - as well as his reputation with the league office. But as far as minor penalties and such, I don't think he receives anymore than he deserves when he's on the ice.

Old
05-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

So Dennis gets Kaleta in the same fashion Downie stuck Martinelli, where's the throngs of people complaining about it?

I guess if Downie was suspended for his "vicious attack", he wouldn't have been able to assist on the game winning goal.

Old
05-10-2006, 08:35 AM
toomanymen

Quote:
So Dennis gets Kaleta in the same fashion Downie stuck Martinelli, where's the throngs of people complaining about it?

I guess if Downie was suspended for his "vicious attack", he wouldn't have been able to assist on the game winning goal.
I did notice Dennis got a penalty for it.

Closed Thread