Old
05-10-2006, 09:20 AM
thomasincanada

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GagneOwnsYou
GO PETES GO

GO KNIGHTS GO !!

It ain't over until the fat lady sings. She's warming up on stage but she isn't singing yet...

Old
05-10-2006, 09:41 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasincanada
It ain't over until the fat lady sings. She's warming up on stage but she isn't singing yet...
I agree - I can't see London getting swept, but they have a tough road ahead if they want to extend the series.

Any one of these games could have gone either way, but I think the Petes' depth has really come to the forefront. Watching last night's game, it looks as though London's big 5 don't have a lot left in the tank. They could prove me wrong, but there are a couple of players on the Knights that are going to have to remember that they have a team before that can happen.

Old
05-10-2006, 10:59 AM
DXFlyers

I swear the Downie talk about him never quits. Do you honestly think Downie is going to be the same player when he is with the Flyers next year, no way. Having him around the likes of Forsberg and Gagne will help his maturity. If I was the coach, I put him on the 3rd or 4th line with the likes of Mike Richards. That would be a great combination. Better yet, Richards, Eager, and Downie, the bodies will be flying!

Old
05-10-2006, 01:11 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXFlyers
Better yet, Richards, Eager, and Downie, the bodies will be flying!
Hmmm... the RED line... I like it!

Old
05-10-2006, 02:32 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanymen
I did notice Dennis got a penalty for it.
Yup, and a two minute minor is all Downie deserved as well. The people calling for suspensions and calling him every name in the book were going a bit too far. The reffed missed it, but that doesn't mean Downie should sit for a game or two because you all hate him!

Old
05-10-2006, 02:33 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl
Hmmm... the RED line... I like it!
I think it's a fantastic looking line. I wonder how Rosie would look on that line though, someone with a little more finish since Richie and Downer are more passers than finishers.

Old
05-10-2006, 10:56 PM
hockeyfan85

I think it was just drawn upon because it was the most obvious example of the unbalanced refing in the series (although the refing has been questionable all year). I think it was pretty obvious that the league stepped in in another way because the number of penalties called in game 3 was significantly less. And as people have pointed out it was not without precedent for a player to be suspended after the fact for something like that, so it would have been irresponsible for the team not to try and get something going in their favour.

Old
05-11-2006, 01:18 PM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasincanada
GO KNIGHTS GO !!

I agree, but the Petes deserved every win because in every game they had a "slight" edge in play. Oh, by the way, Daniel Ryder has easily been the best player on both teams so far in this series. If I were an NHL GM I would take him any day over Shremp. He's a much more complete player than Shremp. Right now Shremp is faster than Ryder, but that's the only area where he has an edge over Ryder. In most other areas he's better than Shremp. Caution, this is only my opinion, so London fans don't get too excited. All I can say is that time will tell who'll have the most sucessful NHL career, but I'm easily betting on Ryder.

Old
05-11-2006, 07:25 PM
JrHockeyFan

That does it

With the call on Bolland for hitting Ryder, I have totally had it with OHL reffing

PLEASE NOTE: I am not blaming the series standing on reffing. But letting Ryer whack away at the goalie without a penalty to both, and the crowd call on Foreman, it is official. OHL reffing is not the same calibre as the play on the ice.

This playoff of the "new rules" and 2 refs has been abysmal. Everybody makes mistakes, but thsi is epidemic. A bogus call against Petes leads to a goal. A bogus call on Schremp for cross checking leads to a goal. I am totally fed up

Mr Branch. Go back to one Ref. One GOOD ref. Send the rest packing to Jr C.

PS: Smola, you are in the wrong line of work.

Old
05-11-2006, 07:32 PM
JrHockeyFan

Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty
I agree, but the Petes deserved every win because in every game they had a "slight" edge in play. Oh, by the way, Daniel Ryder has easily been the best player on both teams so far in this series. If I were an NHL GM I would take him any day over Shremp. He's a much more complete player than Shremp. Right now Shremp is faster than Ryder, but that's the only area where he has an edge over Ryder. In most other areas he's better than Shremp. Caution, this is only my opinion, so London fans don't get too excited. All I can say is that time will tell who'll have the most sucessful NHL career, but I'm easily betting on Ryder.
Ryder has been the best player in the series. True. Better than Schremp overall? In your dreams.

Time indeed will tell.

Old
05-11-2006, 07:52 PM
JrHockeyFan

Okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
Yup, and a two minute minor is all Downie deserved as well. The people calling for suspensions and calling him every name in the book were going a bit too far. The reffed missed it, but that doesn't mean Downie should sit for a game or two because you all hate him!
Trippy, you need to put away your hatred because Guelph was eliminated and be consistent.

There is no such thing as a 2 minute spear. What are you going to call poking a guy with the pointy end of the stick? In the groin no less. Are we creating new penalty calls here?

Downie should have had to sit for the same reason Bolland had to sit. I will say the same thing I said when Bolland was suspended. 2 games makes perfect sense because it is exactly the same kind of thing. In fact there is zero doubt that Downie made a deliberate action. But 2 games made sense.

Whether the ref missed it is relevant only in the context of that game. There should have been a penalty, period. For review later it was an obvious unacceptable act with a stick. It has zippo do do with liking or hating Downie.

The league has made a ridiculously inconsistent ruling about something that they should not be allowing at any level of force, gauged or not. Think about it. Deciding which spears are acceptable. Apparently now some kind of spearing is acceptable. That is what the league has said.

PS: As I said way back in the "Bolland gets 4 games" thread that I started, the league has gotten way off track with regards to stick penalties that result in potentially serious injuries. Players are doing a lot more with their sticks than score any more. This recent ruling shows the league is not serious about trying to correct that.

Old
05-11-2006, 08:06 PM
JrHockeyFan

OH right

Quote:
I cannot argue that, no. But what I can argue is that it happens a number of times every game, it's just not always so obvious. It's not a big deal to me. And yet again, Steve Downie does something very common but it gets blown out of proportion because of his reputation.
It is so common. We have discussions in the forum all the time about players spearing each other in the groin.

Say something that makes sense on the topic for a change instead of being an apologist for the behaviour of Downie in this instance.

What he did was not acceptable. It doesn't happen all the time. Stop pretending already.

PS: I can just imagine the howling coming from you if Callahan got poked by Downie in the groin. You do indeed have hypocritical double standards. It all depends on who gets poked for you to complain.

Old
05-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
Trippy, you need to put away your hatred because Guelph was eliminated and be consistent.
Because Guelph was eliminated? Are you kidding me? It was a dream season from my standpoint. So guess again.

As for the Downie thing...you were a Bolland apologist, and actually at one point were trying to deny he ever kicked Angelidis at all. Do not try to take some moral high ground because you've been there and done that too - at least I admit that I'll blindly stand up for someone because I'm tired of him not getting a fair shake from the hoards of psychologists and talent experts on HF.

At least Downie showed up this series. Where the hell have the almighty Schremp and Bolland been?

I'm done arguing about it, enjoy your summer.

Old
05-11-2006, 08:22 PM
JrHockeyFan

What a joke you have become

Quote:
What really bugs me about fans like you is that the Knights are the most sleazy, manipulative team out there, and you're going to complain about this? Perhaps you didn't see how that idiot of a coach acted all game, imagine him having the balls to call out another team for diving when the two or three biggest divers in league history play or have played for him in the last few years. Or how about Schremp crying like a baby all game (especially after it was over) because things didn't go his way. He was throwing cheap shots behind the play that the camera caught numerous times. Or maybe you'd like to discuss the two deliberate head shots delivered at high speed by Belan that are far more deserving of suspension than the little jab by Downie.
Fans like me? LOL "Sleazy and manipulative"? Trippy, you need to grow up.

You are all pissed off because Guelph was eliminated. If you can't enter into a reasonable discussion on issues without putting that aside there isn't much point in you posting here. So don't you dare attack me because you are incapable of discussing an issue rationally.

Every team has used the dive. But after watching Callahan during the Guelph London series I came to the realization that Gagne was absolutely right on the money when he called Callahan the biggest diver in the league. The guy falls down CONSTANTLY almost on cue. So take your hypocrit hat off and pipe down if you are going to call anyone else out on diving.

As for the rest of your post, ranting and raving.

Spearing is not something that happens a couple of times a game. It is not acceptable. Anybody that does it should be penalized. Period. If you can't unconditionally accept that fact, you should really excuse yourself from discussing the issue. You have zero credibility with the comments above.

PS: Sleazy and manipulative is telling your player to break someone's wrist, and then having him try to do it.

Last edited by JrHockeyFan: 05-11-2006 at 08:28 PM.
Old
05-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Fans like me? LOL "Sleazy and manipulative"? Trippy, you need to grow up.

You are all pissed off because Guelph was eliminated. If you can't enter into a reasonable discussion on issues without putting that aside there isn't much point in you posting here. So don't you dare attack me because you are incapable of discussing an issue rationally.

Every team has used the dive. But after watching Callahan during the Guelph London series I came to the realization that Gagne was absolutely right on the money when he called Callahan the biggest diver in the league. The guy falls down CONSTANTLY almost on cue. So take your hypocrit hat off and pipe down if you are going to call anyone else out on diving.

As for the rest of your post, ranting and raving.

Spearing is not something that happens a couple of times a game. It is not acceptable. Anybody that does it should be penalized. Period. If you can't unconditionally accept that fact, you should really excuse yourself from discussing the issue. You have zero credibility with the comments above.
Sorry, Foreman is the worst diver in the league. If you want to put Callahan up there, that's your call. There is NO disputing who the top diver is. No one looks more ridiculous than his "drop like you're shot" dives. At least Callahan TRIES to be subtle about it.

And enough with telling me I'm just bitter because Guelph was eliminated. I JUST said that it was a dream season. Guelph was supposed to be rebuilding, I had a ton of fun. They were beaten by a more talented team. How am I angry about that?

Old
05-11-2006, 08:30 PM
JrHockeyFan

Sorry Mr

Quote:
Sorry, Foreman is the worst diver in the league. If you want to put Callahan up there, that's your call. There is NO disputing who the top diver is. No one looks more ridiculous than his "drop like you're shot" dives. At least Callahan TRIES to be subtle about it.

And enough with telling me I'm just bitter because Guelph was eliminated. I JUST said that it was a dream season. Guelph was supposed to be rebuilding, I had a ton of fun. They were beaten by a more talented team. How am I angry about that?
Sorry sir, but your posts in this thread have blown away anything that would allow me to respect your opinion. If you want to pretend that Foreman dives more than Callahan used, then go right ahead.

Old
05-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Sorry sir, but your posts in this thread have blown away anything that would allow me to respect your opinion. If you want to pretend that Foreman dives more than Callahan used, then go right ahead.
Pretend? Wow, I thought I was a homer.

Old
05-11-2006, 08:34 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Dale Hunter. I shudder to think that an animal with no concept of fairplay or honor gets to coach impressionable young men at a very high level of hockey. I got to see game 2 and his behavior and conduct was nothing less than I expected. I recall him knocking Turgeon out of the playoffs when he was defenseless like it was yesterday. The memories.

Old
05-11-2006, 08:36 PM
JrHockeyFan

For the serious fans

The Petes have come through and swept the series and are fully deserving of the win. It will be interesting to see how well the OHL's best stacks up against the best of the Q and the W.

A sweep indeed but all close one goal games. None the less I am very pleased that London reached the final when after last year a lot of opposing fans wrote them off. It was an exciting year with lots of ups and downs. I can hardly wait for next year to start. Jr hockey is the best.

Old
05-11-2006, 08:37 PM
JrHockeyFan

Yep

Quote:
Pretend? Wow, I thought I was a homer.
You thought right.

Old
05-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
You thought right.
Good one.

Old
05-11-2006, 08:42 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Great game, too bad the Knights couldn't get the win after a good start but the Petes turned it up a notch and were really impressive. Ryder had another strong game and good to see Stewart finally get one.

Congrats to the Petes on winning the OHL Championship and hope to see them do well at the Memorial Cup. Should be a great tournament.

Old
05-11-2006, 08:44 PM
hockeyfan85

Good luck to the Petes in Moncton. They played well and congrats to them.
And congrats to the Knights - Looking forward to seeing more of Mason next year, he was amazing in such a pressure position.

As for the referees - they were an absolute joke. I hate the fact that such an important game (and series) was decided based on their horrible calls. As JrHockeyFan said, even the homer Petes announcers were confused by their calls (on at least 4 occassions they thought a Peterborough penalty was being called and then a London player went to the bench and they often couldn't even figure out why). It was ridiculous!

Old
05-11-2006, 08:54 PM
JrHockeyFan

Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisshockeyAcademy
Dale Hunter. I shudder to think that an animal with no concept of fairplay or honor gets to coach impressionable young men at a very high level of hockey. I got to see game 2 and his behavior and conduct was nothing less than I expected. I recall him knocking Turgeon out of the playoffs when he was defenseless like it was yesterday. The memories.
What he did a lonnnnnng time ago was definitely wrong. And he definitely paid for it. End of story.

As for coaching today. He has done a great job. Your attack on that score is not warranted. I have no idea what you are talking about in game #2. I think both coaches were sufficiently fed up with the peculiar calls, and there were quite a few.

As for coaching "impressionable" young men? Dylan Hunter is a classy player and is Dale's son.

Closed Thread