HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pursue a FA goalie?

Old
05-03-2006, 03:04 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore
On the habs boards, someone suggested a trade of Lang for Aebischer and Zednik. Is this at all realistic?
Wow. I would really have to consider that one. Zednik was hurt this year, right? If he's healthy, then I would certainly have to look at that one. You hate to lose Lang because he's one of the only guys that generated anything in the playoffs, but to get a pretty good goalie in Aebischer and a goal scoring winger in Zednik for him, and probably come out with more cap space at the same time.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
Wow. I would really have to consider that one. Zednik was hurt this year, right? If he's healthy, then I would certainly have to look at that one. You hate to lose Lang because he's one of the only guys that generated anything in the playoffs, but to get a pretty good goalie in Aebischer and a goal scoring winger in Zednik for him, and probably come out with more cap space at the same time.
I would do it for Zednik straight up. David Aebischer is not an upgrade over either Osgood or Legace. Zednik would be a good addition.

Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 03:07 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
Tim Cheveldae is a better option than David Aebischer...IMO.
All I can think of is the Wings-Avs game this season when Aebischer stood on his head and almost won that game for the Avs - specifically, the save he made on Homer where Homer had an empty net and he just threw his right hand out and got the blocker on a point-blank slapper.

Old
05-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
All I can think of is the Wings-Avs game this season when Aebischer stood on his head and almost won that game for the Avs - specifically, the save he made on Homer where Homer had an empty net and he just threw his right hand out and got the blocker on a point-blank slapper.

One game?

Hell then, remember Brent Johnson stopping 43 shots in a shutout against Ottawa earlier this year? Why not go after him then?

Old
05-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Eeyore

Quote:
I don't know what was wrong with Zednik. He wasn't impressive during the regular season. He did play well in the playoffs however.

Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 03:21 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
One game?

Hell then, remember Brent Johnson stopping 43 shots in a shutout against Ottawa earlier this year? Why not go after him then?
Well, I combine that with these stats:

03-04: 61GS, 32-19-9, 2.09, .924, 4 SO Playoffs: 6-5, 2.08, .922, 1 SO
06 Olympics: 1-0-2, 2.10. Couldn't find his SV%.

Those are some good indicators for me. He's only 28, and he's not overly expensive. He would be a good goalie to span the gap until Howard is ready. Our alternatives are guys like Gerber and Biron, who are not without their own question marks. I think he just had a bad year. Raycroft had a much worse year and some people think he's the guy the Wings should go after. This is a trade I would probably make, assuming all parties are 100% healthy.

Old
05-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Well, I combine that with these stats:

03-04: 61GS, 32-19-9, 2.09, .924, 4 SO Playoffs: 6-5, 2.08, .922, 1 SO
06 Olympics: 1-0-2, 2.10. Couldn't find his SV%.

Those are some good indicators for me. He's only 28, and he's not overly expensive. He would be a good goalie to span the gap until Howard is ready. Our alternatives are guys like Gerber and Biron, who are not without their own question marks. I think he just had a bad year. Raycroft had a much worse year and some people think he's the guy the Wings should go after. This is a trade I would probably make, assuming all parties are 100% healthy.
Well, I am of the opinion that none of the names we are bantering about here are a very big upgrade over Manny Legace. Gerber folded when his team needed him. Aebischer hasnt proven anything. Raycroft looks like Steve Penny or Jim Carey at this point.

Biron is the best of the bunch. And I am not completely sold on him either.

Old
05-04-2006, 02:42 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Well, I am of the opinion that none of the names we are bantering about here are a very big upgrade over Manny Legace. Gerber folded when his team needed him. Aebischer hasnt proven anything. Raycroft looks like Steve Penny or Jim Carey at this point.

Biron is the best of the bunch. And I am not completely sold on him either.
I'm saying that if you do the Lang for Zednik and Aebischer deal, and you don't like Aebischer, you can get something for him. Probably not a ton, but it's another asset, and young goalies with 2-3 series of playoff experience, a 30 win season with a SV% over .920 and a GAA close to 2.00, and some Olympic starts as well, are valuable commodities.

Old
05-04-2006, 05:27 PM
fetalposition

I say keep either manny or osgood and bring up howard. Though honestly, I think detroits biggest problem is toughness, esp. on defence, what I wouldnt give to have some of calgarys defencemen like dion, rhett, or reghr.

fetalposition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 10:17 PM
GoBoltz56
Mantha's Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywingfan
I say keep either manny or osgood and bring up howard. Though honestly, I think detroits biggest problem is toughness, esp. on defence, what I wouldnt give to have some of calgarys defencemen like dion, rhett, or reghr.
Yeah...alot of good it did them..!

GoBoltz56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 11:05 PM
garry1221

Send a message via AIM to garry1221
bottom line with this whole debate about looking for a 'better' ufa goalie is really, are we or are we not looking at serious contention next year. that's the big IF in this whole decision.

i said from the beginning of the year that at the end of the eyar, ozzie or manny would be kept, not both. IF this team goes into a rebuild mode, i'd still keep legace around and let liv/howard/macdonald/mcintyre compete for backup spot. i've also said, due to many of the comments saying that howard needs another year in the ahl, that there's really two backup spots to fill, that would leave it to liv/macdonald/mcintyre. hearing about all the injuries macdonald's had i'd have to assume that he'll no longer be in the wings organization. getting back on track...

if the wings decide to just retool the lineup, a goalie change MIGHT happen, but as higgy said above, biron looks like the best there is out on the market, and even he's not that appealing and has obviously hit his peak... though all he might need is a change of scenery, but that's a big chance to take.

personally i'd keep legace and see who is available come the trade deadline. if a diamond in the rough could be found, such as roloson w/ edmonton, then we'd have to grab it whatever the expense. but legace could surprise us all, just never know. i've read so many people here give sammy some room being his first time in a top six role... yet the same people slam legace... even though it was his first time in a starter's role.

in summary, the only way i'd say move for a goalie would be if it's 99 % certain that he'd flourish both in the season and playoffs... if there's not that certainty, i'd stick w/ legace and whoever his backup may be.

garry1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 12:59 AM
19 for president

What type of game does Zednik play? If the Wings could move Lang for a winger they'd be able to condense the scoring lines better.

19 for president is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 01:09 AM
8snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 for president
What type of game does Zednik play? If the Wings could move Lang for a winger they'd be able to condense the scoring lines better.
Zednik is a great skater with a powerful center of gravity and decent scoring touch (inconsistent as well). His hockey sense can be iffy sometimes, but he's solid in his own end and isnt averse to getting in and forechecking. I'd like Zednik with Detroit, but only if other options fall through. Lang for Zednik though would be a tough sell, especially for Habs fans. They cant stand Bonk, and in getting Lang they essentially get a less defensive, more offensive version.

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 08:22 AM
Captain

If Legace will sign for a reasonable sum, then keep him. If not, let him and Osgood go and sign someone. Much depends on their whether Howard turns out to be the future number one he's projected as, and much would depend on Liv.

But don't mind me, I've already written off next season as a building year.

Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 08:34 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain
If Legace will sign for a reasonable sum, then keep him. If not, let him and Osgood go and sign someone. Much depends on their whether Howard turns out to be the future number one he's projected as, and much would depend on Liv.

But don't mind me, I've already written off next season as a building year.
Legace said yesterday that he has no desire to return to Detroit in a backup role.

Old
05-05-2006, 08:48 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Legace said yesterday that he has no desire to return to Detroit in a backup role.
And that's his ticket out of town, imo.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 09:47 AM
Captain

Quote:
There is no reason why Legace shouldn't be the go to guy with Howard or Liv as backup.

Anyone seen enough of Howard to know where he is in his development?

Old
05-05-2006, 09:58 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain
There is no reason why Legace shouldn't be the go to guy with Howard or Liv as backup.

Anyone seen enough of Howard to know where he is in his development?
I have seen about half a dozen of Howard's starts and I believe he's ready for backup duty in the NHL. But he's not ready to start, that's probably a year or two off. Of course, if he carries GR to the Calder cup then maybe he is ready.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
I have seen about half a dozen of Howard's starts and I believe he's ready for backup duty in the NHL. But he's not ready to start, that's probably a year or two off. Of course, if he carries GR to the Calder cup then maybe he is ready.
Thanks, doublejack. I believe that's about where he should be.

Old
05-05-2006, 01:00 PM
19 for president

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8snake
Zednik is a great skater with a powerful center of gravity and decent scoring touch (inconsistent as well). His hockey sense can be iffy sometimes, but he's solid in his own end and isnt averse to getting in and forechecking. I'd like Zednik with Detroit, but only if other options fall through. Lang for Zednik though would be a tough sell, especially for Habs fans. They cant stand Bonk, and in getting Lang they essentially get a less defensive, more offensive version.
I dunno go to the Habs bored and quite a few of them seem to like the idea. A lot think he could do great with Kovalev.

19 for president is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 01:43 AM
Huge Jackman
Happy Happy Happy!

Send a message via Yahoo to Huge Jackman
Giggy's looking pretty expendable these days for the Ducks.

Huge Jackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 02:19 AM
1datsyuk3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlavac
fact is, was eliminate that had would play Legace very unfortunate and not entirely innocent at that

but Osgood is also not better

to give and a Goalie 7 million is not also senseless and the expensive Goalies always top are would show also
Cujo of that much collected however in the Playoffs also only lower mediocrity was

Newly begin Biron, Gerber or Liv and Howard, young Goalies are also top if one lets play it

i agree with you 100%

1datsyuk3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 04:27 AM
ShippinItDaily

Send a message via MSN to ShippinItDaily
Quote:
I would do it for Zednik straight up. David Aebischer is not an upgrade over either Osgood or Legace. Zednik would be a good addition.

That would be a great trade for the wings. Henrik and Zednik would be real good together with Holmstrom on the left side.

Getting rid of Lang's contract would allow the wings to fill a hole on defense.

ShippinItDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 11:34 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
What if you also could get Aebischer in the deal. Would you do it?

I would, at this point I believe he is better then Osgood and Legace doesn't want to be a backup.

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 02:06 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuJo#31
What if you also could get Aebischer in the deal. Would you do it?

I would, at this point I believe he is better then Osgood and Legace doesn't want to be a backup.

Zednik for Lang straight up would help the Wings in the payroll department also. If you add Aebischer in there it doesnt.

Plus, I dont think Aebischer is an improvement over either goalie the Wings already have.