HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Pursue a FA goalie?

Old
05-10-2006, 08:47 AM
doublejack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPen
MacDonald is under contract for next year, so McIntyre might be the odd man out.
You are correct that MacDonald is under contract for another year, but he may be cut loose or given to another team. He's out of options and has chronic back trouble, plus GR will be loaded with Liv, Howard and McIntyre all possibly competing for time there. I think it's pretty likely that both MacDonald and McIntyre will be out of the organization next year.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 07:58 PM
ginnungagap

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
You are correct that MacDonald is under contract for another year, but he may be cut loose or given to another team. He's out of options and has chronic back trouble, plus GR will be loaded with Liv, Howard and McIntyre all possibly competing for time there. I think it's pretty likely that both MacDonald and McIntyre will be out of the organization next year.
After what MacIntyre has shown in the AHL and ECHL playoffs this year I hope they give him one last chance for the Griffins next season. If MacDonald is healthy I wouldn't mind him as the backup in Detroit but if he needs surgery again or is ticketed for the AHL I'd just as soon see him gone. MacDonald is getting old enough that I think it's time to see if he has what it takes for the NHL.

ginnungagap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 06:09 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
I like Joey Mac but he can't seem to stay healthy. Then again, before this season, Drew was hurt all the time too. In the end, I don't think either one of them will ever be more than a backup, so pick one and go. But I would imagine that either MacDonald, Liv, or Howard will be the backup in Detroit, and whoever is left will compete with Drew for starts in GR - unless it's Howard who goes down, in which case he'll get most of the starts in GR.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 08:21 PM
garry1221

Send a message via AIM to garry1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
I like Joey Mac but he can't seem to stay healthy. Then again, before this season, Drew was hurt all the time too. In the end, I don't think either one of them will ever be more than a backup, so pick one and go. But I would imagine that either MacDonald, Liv, or Howard will be the backup in Detroit, and whoever is left will compete with Drew for starts in GR - unless it's Howard who goes down, in which case he'll get most of the starts in GR.
personally i beleive it'll be essentially a battle for backups, i believe howard, unless the wings fail to secure a goalie, will go down to GR. that leaves macdonald/liv to battle/flip a coin, for the backup spot on both clubs

garry1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 09:00 AM
doublejack

Stop the Press!

It looks like Jimmy Howard is auditioning for the #1 job in Detroit right now. This is from the lips of Kenny Holland:

Quote:
"Certainly, if we do make a change I don't see us being able to go out and get a top-name goalie. No. 1, I don't think they're available. It's very difficult to think they're going to be acquired by trade. I just think you need to draft, you need to develop, and you need to find your own. Jimmy Howard certainly is a guy we're going to watch to see how he plays in the American League playoffs here, and decide if he's ready next year or if he needs more time in the American League."
I lifted this quote from the MLive Red Wing weblog.

Old
05-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
It looks like Jimmy Howard is auditioning for the #1 job in Detroit right now. This is from the lips of Kenny Holland:

I lifted this quote from the MLive Red Wing weblog.
wow. Pretty impressive of Jimmy if he can grab the job for next year. To be honest, I'm ready to support the move. He's young and he'd be a huge question mark but why not? Get a vet backup in to split the duties and see where it takes us. Maybe we'll see something similar to the Vernon/Ozzy combo.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 10:37 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98
wow. Pretty impressive of Jimmy if he can grab the job for next year. To be honest, I'm ready to support the move. He's young and he'd be a huge question mark but why not? Get a vet backup in to split the duties and see where it takes us. Maybe we'll see something similar to the Vernon/Ozzy combo.
I don't know. The past 3 years one of our weaknesses has been the goalie, if you bring Howard now we still have a lot of questions marks. If you want a veteran backup goalie then I assume you are talking about Osgood. All the other goalie are to young or make to much money and I am not a big fan of Ozzy

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuJo#31
I don't know. The past 3 years one of our weaknesses has been the goalie, if you bring Howard now we still have a lot of questions marks. If you want a veteran backup goalie then I assume you are talking about Osgood. All the other goalie are to young or make to much money and I am not a big fan of Ozzy
Are Howard's question marks any worse than any of the question marks with other available goalies? Legs flopped in the playoffs, Ozzy has his question marks, Huet and Gerber are less than proven, Nabokov and Giguere have both fallen short of expectations and have been replaced by their backups (plus they'd cost additional hockey assets to acquire).

Comparing Howard's question marks to the question marks of other goalies, and I'm not sure he's any worse than any one else potentially available. Throw in the fact that he'd be far cheaper while providing an arguably higher ceiling and I can see how this move has potential.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 01:59 PM
phillypensfan

Send a message via ICQ to phillypensfan
IMO,can't hurt to go with Ozzie as the starter,or have him and Howard or whoever from GR split the duties next season. Better than having to give up one of the young guys to get a goalie from another team when none of them are a significant upgrade.

phillypensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Higgy4

As of right now, I would be completely content with a Howard/Osgood duo heading into next season.

If the Wings are in serious contention and think the goaltending needs to be addressed, than its very possible they could trade for a goalie at the deadline next season.

Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 02:42 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
As of right now, I would be completely content with a Howard/Osgood duo heading into next season.

If the Wings are in serious contention and think the goaltending needs to be addressed, than its very possible they could trade for a goalie at the deadline next season.
I like that outlook. I am dismayed at the possibility that Osgood could be the veteran backup because I don't think he's got the mental makeup to be a good backup or a mentor. That said, we can always trade for a goalie at the deadline if it looks like we need some more help in that area. I'd still prefer to see us trade for one this offseason, but better late than never.

As far as Howard being the starter, I think Winger did an excellent job explaining the logic behind it. I can totally see Holland thinking along those lines. It is logical to give Jimmy a shot at the job if it looks like he could be ready.

Old
05-12-2006, 03:49 PM
8snake

Quote:

Inevitably Detroit (playing in the Central) will be in "serious contention" and among the league leaders in points regardless. Why in the world would you wait to address it in the middle of the season or at the deadline, and end up overpaying for a playoff proven, veteran goalie? That doesnt make any sense at all. It's also counter-intuitive given Detroit's roster make-up. This wont be an inexperienced, youth-driven team (some might say unfortunately)....to have a veteran presence everywhere except in goal would frankly be mismanagement of this club. No way I see Holland doing that.

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8snake
Inevitably Detroit (playing in the Central) will be in "serious contention" and among the league leaders in points regardless. Why in the world would you wait to address it in the middle of the season or at the deadline, and end up overpaying for a playoff proven, veteran goalie? That doesnt make any sense at all. It's also counter-intuitive given Detroit's roster make-up. This wont be an inexperienced, youth-driven team (some might say unfortunately)....to have a veteran presence everywhere except in goal would frankly be mismanagement of this club. No way I see Holland doing that.
Howard is the best goalie to come up through the Wings ranks in probably 20 years. There is no reason to make a big UFA goalie signing this offseason. Howard is pretty close to being ready and he and Osgood can "bridge the gap" until that time.

There's 3 scenarios here:

1) Howard is ready, and he and Osgood do a fine job next season.
2) Howard is almost ready and the Wings make a deadline deal before the playoffs next year. In which case, like you said, they will overpay to get said goalie.
3) Holland OVERPAYS this offseason to bring in a UFA goalie from this weak group of UFA goalies. In which case, its overpaying still.

The Wings should use as much money as possible to help the defense and winger problems this summer. I do NOT want him bringing in a goalie. There is not a bonafide #1 out there, or even a goalie who is an obvious upgrade over the Legace/Osgood team we had here this year. Any money that he spends on a goalie this offseason is money down the drain.

So, I stand by my opinion. See how Howard and Osgood do next year. If they feel they need to bring in a rental goalie at the deadline...so be it. Its not the end of the world.

Old
05-12-2006, 05:42 PM
8snake

Quote:
Howard is the best goalie to come up through the Wings ranks in probably 20 years. There is no reason to make a big UFA goalie signing this offseason. Howard is pretty close to being ready and he and Osgood can "bridge the gap" until that time.

There's 3 scenarios here:

1) Howard is ready, and he and Osgood do a fine job next season.
2) Howard is almost ready and the Wings make a deadline deal before the playoffs next year. In which case, like you said, they will overpay to get said goalie.
3) Holland OVERPAYS this offseason to bring in a UFA goalie from this weak group of UFA goalies. In which case, its overpaying still.

The Wings should use as much money as possible to help the defense and winger problems this summer. I do NOT want him bringing in a goalie. There is not a bonafide #1 out there, or even a goalie who is an obvious upgrade over the Legace/Osgood team we had here this year. Any money that he spends on a goalie this offseason is money down the drain.

So, I stand by my opinion. See how Howard and Osgood do next year. If they feel they need to bring in a rental goalie at the deadline...so be it. Its not the end of the world.
I just dont see it as being a very wise move. Detroit has proven veterans at every position except the most important? And since the calls for a proven goalie will only intensify as the deadline looms, why set yourself up for that scenario where you give up valuable assets and draft picks when that extreme could have been avoided?

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 12:50 PM
koh19

People who say that aebischer isn't good and that he hasn't proven anything, here's a video of him........now have you changed your mind??

*****************************20866353/aebischer_mix.wmv.html

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 01:12 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8snake
I just dont see it as being a very wise move. Detroit has proven veterans at every position except the most important? And since the calls for a proven goalie will only intensify as the deadline looms, why set yourself up for that scenario where you give up valuable assets and draft picks when that extreme could have been avoided?
Osgood is about as proven as you can get for a platoon guy. He's the absolute perfect guy to hang onto if the plan is to see if Jimmy can hack it. He's done it himself. He's had success as well as failure so he's the perfect mentor for the upcoming Red Wing starter. He can play 30 games and win 20 or he can carry the load if needed and win his customary 30+.

If the plan is for Howard to be in Detroit next season I'll bump up the chance of Osgood hanging around from 75% to 95%.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 02:20 PM
koh19

sorry here it is:*****************************20866353/aebischer_mix.wmv.html

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 07:28 PM
19 for president

vCash: 562
If the Wings decide to go with Howard I hope they keep Ozzie around. He could easily play 30 games if needed. Jimmy has never played more than 45ish reg season games. Ozzie is the perfect mentor type. He knows the pressure of the goaltending situation in Det and how to deal with it. For all the problems Ozzie had he almost always came back strong after a bad game. Ozzie would prob get no more than 1 mil and would be a good steady mentor/backup.

19 for president is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 10:19 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 for president
If the Wings decide to go with Howard I hope they keep Ozzie around. He could easily play 30 games if needed. Jimmy has never played more than 45ish reg season games. Ozzie is the perfect mentor type. He knows the pressure of the goaltending situation in Det and how to deal with it. For all the problems Ozzie had he almost always came back strong after a bad game. Ozzie would prob get no more than 1 mil and would be a good steady mentor/backup.

Like I said before. I want the Wings and Holland to upgrade at wing and maybe get a big, bruising defensman with the extra cap space they have.

At this point, I would have no problem with an Osgood/Howard combo going into next season.

Old
05-22-2006, 01:17 PM
Captain

Confirms that the Wings are shopping for a fa.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...605220383/1053

Quote:
Jimmy Howard is best off with another season starting for Grand Rapids, and are going to look for a veteran who can fill the gap the next two seasons.

Captain is offline   Reply With Quote