HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kim Johnson's value

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2006, 03:15 PM
MojoJojo

vCash: 500
Kim Johnson's value

Kim Johnson is going to be a UFA this summer, and the Flyers will probably make a pitch, but may not wind up keeping him. The question is, how much will he go for on the open market? He is an excellent puck moving two way defenseman, can play the point on the PP, is not too bad in his own zone, has size and speed. The big question mark is how is his injury status, considering he missed most of the regular season due to PCS. His health, and the fact he also did not have an outstanding start this year before the concussion will probably hurt his earning potential. So lets assume he is cleared to play, how much money do you think a GM would be willing to risk on him?

Old
05-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

That is a good question, and so tough to answer. Offhand, I would guess that some GM will approach this player as though he is getting a healthy Kim Johnsson, where others will want to hedge.

In that event, $3M to $3.5M per year might be within the realm of possibility. Solid player when he's healthy. He might not get the sort of term you would expect him to get on his first UFA contract, though. I'd be surprised to see teams go more than three years. That might be the only allowance made for his injury status, though.

Old
05-02-2006, 04:24 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

With that concussion he's had this year, I'm willing to bet that KJ goes for even lower than 3 or 3.5. I'm willing to bet that his base salary might be 1.5 or 2, but there will be incentives so that he can earn back about a million of that.

Either way, if I'm Bobby Clarke and with the history the Flyers have had with players and concussions, I'm staying as far away from KJ as possible.

Old
05-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Verbal Kint*

AS muchas I like him, I doubt the Leafs would make an offer. Johnsson is simply a slightly less gifted clone of Tomas Kaberle as far as I'm concerned.

Old
05-02-2006, 04:30 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
AS muchas I like him, I doubt the Leafs would make an offer. Johnsson is simply a slightly less gifted clone of Tomas Kaberle as far as I'm concerned.

except Johnsson plays much better defense.

After a long concussion, he'll get about $2M

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
05-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Where oh where is that Wayne Primeau clip...

And no, no he does not play much better defense. Perhaps in 2003-2004 where Tomas had his worst NHL season to date, but certainly not in 2005-06 (even taking Johnsson's concussion into consideration).

Old
05-02-2006, 04:45 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
Where oh where is that Wayne Primeau clip...

And no, no he does not play much better defense. Perhaps in 2003-2004 where Tomas had his worst NHL season to date, but certainly not in 2005-06 (even taking Johnsson's concussion into consideration).
Johnsson is far and away the better defender and it isn't even close. I like Kaberle and I think he's a great player, but he's not even close defensively when it comes to Johnsson. I'll give Kaberle the nudge offensively, but even then, it's still close. The only thing Kaberle has going for him is that he's younger than KJ, and that's about it.

Old
05-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:

Call me crazy, but didn't UFA-to-be Denis Gauthier get more than that?

Because of the number of games missed, can Johnsson have incentives included in his contract? (If I remember right - the only way to have incentives in a non-entry contract is if you miss so many games the previous year)

I bet that a GM will miss out on the Tier 1 (Chara/Redden), Tier 2 (McCabe, Jovo, Blake), get desperate and make Johsson an offer based on him staying healthy ($3.5-4M).

Old
05-02-2006, 05:02 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Johnsson is far and away the better defender and it isn't even close. I like Kaberle and I think he's a great player, but he's not even close defensively when it comes to Johnsson. I'll give Kaberle the nudge offensively, but even then, it's still close. The only thing Kaberle has going for him is that he's younger than KJ, and that's about it.
You have to be kidding me. They play almost exactly the same. Flawless positional play, with very little physicality. Excellent skating ability, with good speed and agility. I think both are underrated defensively by other because they don't play a very brash or physical style but I've watched the both of them play and they would be nearly impossible to tell apart in the defensive end if they were both in the same jersey.

Old
05-02-2006, 05:05 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Actually, I'd say Kaberle is a hair better defensively, and a lot better offensively.

Old
05-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Art Vandelay

Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Johnsson was prior to this injury a very healthy player, he missed 15 games in 5 seasons.
However i think he suffered some sort of concussion injury during the lockout (he played 24 games for Ambri-Piotta in the swiss league).
Add this bad concussion and his value will take a hit, maybe not that big though since he's usually not an injury prone player.

Old
05-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
sign me up

Old
05-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Figgles*

I think Johnsson will go for 3-4 mil. No way he goes for as low as 2. He is as steady as they come. Sure, this year he wasn't spectacular, and he got a concussion which ended his season prematurely, but I think GMs will look at his past record and judge him on that. In his first five seasons in the NHL he only missed 15 games. In his first 3 season as a flyer he reached 10 goals 3 times, and had seasons of 41, 39, and 42 points. He did this while being a solid defensive player. I assume the flyers could get him back for 3-3.4 mil.

Old
05-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Garbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
How is Johnsson close to Kaberle offensively? No, no. He's not.

Old
05-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Actually, I'd say Kaberle is a hair better defensively, and a lot better offensively.
I'd agree with this, but I still want Kim resigned (for cheap).

He had a terrible, inconsistent, injury plagued year. If he gets more than two point five this year I'd be shocked.

Old
05-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Peter Griffin

If the Canucks fail to re-sign Jovanovski, I'd like to see Nonis make an offer to Johnsson. I think Johnsson could get about $3.5 mil, perhaps more.

Old
05-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
I'd agree with this, but I still want Kim resigned (for cheap).

He had a terrible, inconsistent, injury plagued year. If he gets more than two point five this year I'd be shocked.
I just find it interesting that a couple of Flyers posters equate Johnson w/ Kaberle, but then expect him to sign a contract for about 60% of what Kaberle just agreed to.

I guess Johnsson could sign a 1 year deal for the $'s you're talking about hoping to increase his value for a big deal next year. IMO though, that's an unnecessary risk because someone will definetely offer him at least $3.5M.

Old
05-02-2006, 11:53 PM
Geese_Howard*

I can see a 2 year 6.5 deal, malakov got 3.7 a year...

kim J could end up being a steal for 3-3.25 million, but concussions are a scary injury.

Old
05-03-2006, 12:08 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Most GMs will be scared off, but all it takes is one. Money for good defensemen has been consistently nutty since the new CBA. A solid $3M plus is quite possible, concussions notwithstanding.

Old
05-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Olias of Sunhillow

You're all right and you're all wrong with your Kaberle comparisons.

Johnsson was clearly a much better defensive player in 2003-04 than Kaberle. He was excellent positionally, moved the puck extremely well, and made excellent decisions.

Johnsson was clearly a much poorer defenseman than Kaberle in 2005-06, even before the concussion problems. He was tenative, made poor decisions, and didn't utilize his skating ability in a way that came close to taking advantages of the adjustments in calling penalties.

KJ is a full step down from Kaberle offensively. They play a similar game, but Kaberle does everything a bit better.

So, NHL GMs need to figure out which was the real Kim Johnsson. My guess is that he goes for a short-term deal, 2 years at 5.5 or 6 million total, to try to show that his 2003-04 season wasn't an abberation.

Old
05-03-2006, 11:45 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

any Flyers fans know how he's played on the right side?

from the games I've seen of him, he's always been manning the left side in the defensive zone. Has he played the right side? is there a difference in his level of play when (if) he's moved to the right side?

I'm less concerned about the PP, where I have seen him on the right side... but in ES situations how's his positional play if he's ever lined up on the right side in Philly?

Old
05-03-2006, 12:30 PM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
He is the kind of player I thought would become even better in the "new NHL" but this have not been the case. His head injury ofcourse have a lot to do with it but he wasnt any good before that either. And seeing how the Flyers D have been I think they really need to hold on to KJ and hope that he will recover.

Old
05-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Geese_Howard*

Kaberle signed for 4.25 a year

KJ should get 3-3.5

Old
05-03-2006, 01:30 PM
BruinAddict

He'll get at least 4M/year.

Old
05-03-2006, 07:54 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
any Flyers fans know how he's played on the right side?

from the games I've seen of him, he's always been manning the left side in the defensive zone. Has he played the right side? is there a difference in his level of play when (if) he's moved to the right side?

I'm less concerned about the PP, where I have seen him on the right side... but in ES situations how's his positional play if he's ever lined up on the right side in Philly?
He's played pretty much his entire Flyers career on the right side, as Desjardins has been our only right handed defenseman during Johnsson's time here.

Closed Thread