HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Idea to boost our PP

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2006, 12:16 PM
SuperUnknown

vCash: 500
Idea to boost our PP

Watching other teams play, I think that we should put Ryder on the point. He has a really good shot that is precise enough and a quick release, plus he's good with one-timers. Without Koivu, our PP has been anemic because we have a hard time controlling the puck and getting it to the net.

The other thing is that Bulis needs to be pulled from the PP. He has no business on it he doesn't do anything. You need a guy who will go in front of the net. I don't care if they put Begin, Murray or Downey to get things going.

As well, I'm not sure if Markov is hurt, but he's playing terrible hockey. Bouillon has been better on the PP so far (and dare I say in general play situations?), which is a clear sign something's not going too well.

Anyway, here's my idea for a first PP unit:
Bonk at center, why? He's good on the faceoffs so far in this series. Give him the role to put his fat arse in front of the net. That's what he was doing in Ottawa and it was working wonders. He can screen, deflect, bang rebounds, etc. He can be a big body to block the puck behind the net as well (when it gets there).
Kovalev on the wing... He's our most skilled forward. Not much more to say.
Markov/Ryder on the other wing/defense: Let them switch depending on the situation. Exploit Ryder's big shot with Markov's vision. Alternatively, this lets the team play three of large at the blue line which helps create room for a shot and keep the puck going (three of large = one in the middle, one close to the blue line and the boards, the other close to the boards on the opposite side but a little deeper).
Souray on the other side, and tell him not to try anything fancy or take too many chances.

A good powerplay would help us greatly as we've been lacking on the special units.

Old
05-02-2006, 12:18 PM
BORAT

Easy ! !!! Make a Duplicate of Markov's Brain ! Put it in Souray

Old
05-02-2006, 12:33 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I dunno... Carolina has a lot of quick forwards who can jump out to create some SH breaks... Ryder seems a bit risky in that sense. If we didn't have shooters from the point amongst our D, maybe you could take that risk. But I seem to recall most of our shots in Game 4 especially coming from the D, and amongst Markov/Souray and Bouillon/Rivet, I just don't see shots from the point being a real weakness for us this season.

The real problem is more in terms of getting traffic in front of the net. And maybe in the last couple of games of just gaining the zone and keeping it. To me, our needs are more like: get somebody standing on Ward's toes (even Begin if nobody else will do it), and everybody else up front just work a whole lot harder at winning the battles along the boards so that we keep some sustained pressure.

Old
05-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT
Easy ! !!! Make a Duplicate of Markov's Brain from during the regular season! Put it in Souray and Markov
Fixed.

Old
05-02-2006, 12:40 PM
tinyzombies

I've been out of town and not able to watch the last three games, so I don't know all that has gone on.

But Bonk HAS to be on the powerplay. Carolina seems like they are just collapsing down low to compensate for their lack of inzone coverage. In fact, sounds like they are taking a page out of Gainey's book and it's working for them.

That leaves the point open, but if we don't have size in front, it isn't going to do much. Bonk has gotta be out there, he's pretty much the only guy we have with size (which is ridiculous).

Old
05-02-2006, 12:41 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
I dunno... Carolina has a lot of quick forwards who can jump out to create some SH breaks... Ryder seems a bit risky in that sense. If we didn't have shooters from the point amongst our D, maybe you could take that risk. But I seem to recall most of our shots in Game 4 especially coming from the D, and amongst Markov/Souray and Bouillon/Rivet, I just don't see shots from the point being a real weakness for us this season.

The real problem is more in terms of getting traffic in front of the net. And maybe in the last couple of games of just gaining the zone and keeping it. To me, our needs are more like: get somebody standing on Ward's toes (even Begin if nobody else will do it), and everybody else up front just work a whole lot harder at winning the battles along the boards so that we keep some sustained pressure.
That's why I put Markov and Ryder as switchable. Markov has a tendancy to move up closer to the net, he likes it, while Ryder had two good scoring chances that Cam Ward barely stopped from the blue line the past two games. He was put at the point in a last second attempt where he got a really nice shot on Ward and then he was at the point last game during a PP and once again had a terrific shot right on the net.

One of the problems we've had on the PP is getting good shots getting to the net, mostly because we don't move the puck quick enough and we're kind of slow releasing the puck from the point. The inclusion of Ryder and a different tactic (like I said, almost three of large on the PP) with a big body like Bonk in front of the net, should help with that.

Souray has a booming shot, but he often misses the net and it's often blocked. He's not that good at one-timers.

Markov has an okay shot, but he most often passes and move up the puck.

I'm just saying this because our PP has been garbage lately with either Ryder-Higgins+another stooge or with Kovalev-Ribeiro-Bulis. For the short time they had on the PP, Plekanec-Perez-Zednik weren't much better either.

Old
05-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Netro

First, the Habs have to gain the zone and for the most part in game 5, they couldn't gain the zone. Why? Two reasons...poor dump-ins and losing the battles along the boards even when out-numbering the Canes.

If the Habs can gain the zone, the Canes are doing 2 things on the PK. First, they are not sitting back, they are pressing the player with the puck. This means the Habs need to support the puck carrier by getting people near him with short quick passes. Quick passes (or good puck movement) will cause the Canes to back off a bit. Second, the Canes are getting men high on the D men and blocking shots. They are also making sure the front of the net is clean down low. So, if the Habs get get quick passes around the perimeter, it will either open some opportunities down low, of if the Canes shift down low on the PK, it will open up shots from the point. Then, the Habs must get traffic in front of Ward. Period. They need to make it difficult for Ward to see shots from Souray or Markov.

I actually think it would be best if the Habs sent out Ribs-Kovalev-Zednik with explicit instructions that Zednik get in front of the net. He is a strong player. Also, when a shot is coming in from the point, I would like to see the remaining forwards go the net from additional traffic and to look for rebounds. The second PP unit should be Pleks-Ryder-Perezhogin. Perezhogin and Pleks have earned time on the PP and I think Perezhogin would a good player to create traffic in front of the net.

Still, the Habs first need to work on gaining the zone.

Old
05-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
The PP, WHEN settle in the offensive zone isnt looking all that bad.

Problem is, last game, the habs needed 1:50 of PP to settle with the puck in the offensive zone.

D-men are dumping right after the red line and no pressure is put on the Canes players to keep the play alive. Since the beginning of the year, it was Koivu and then Kovalev on the 2nd PP who were carrying the puck.

But since we lost Koivu, half of our PP is dead and the Canes best PK players arent ask to skates all that much which makes it harder for the 2nd PP also...

I say stop dumping unless, like you said, you keeps Bulis on the bench, he's the fastest player up front and the one that should regain the puck in the offensive zone, but he's not trying.

It's so painfully obvious the habs are going to dump the puck that the Canes defensemen are ready to turn around and skates in the corners to send the puck the other way before the Puck is even in the zone...

Old
05-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Montrealer

I understand it's hard to get it by 4 Canes on the blue line.

What I don't understand is why you dump it into the corner each and every time; then you lose 75% of the races for the puck.

Maybe someone can explain it to me, but why not lift it high and make it land somewhere in front of the net, then send in three guys for it? Because it's so high, you have your guys in position to battle for it. You battle it out with the Canes, and if one of your guys gets the puck you should have a decent scoring chance.

Not a very high percentage play, but it's gotta be better than
*approach blue line
*shoot in corner
*oops Carolina got it
*clear
*approach blue line
*shoot in corner
*Kovalev almost gets it
*clear
*approach blue line
*repeat ad nauseum

Old
05-02-2006, 01:03 PM

Like a few have already mentionned, the two biggest issues to our PP woes are:

1. Poor recognition by our defensman (namely Bouillon, Souray and Rivet) when dumping the puck.

2. Individualism.

- About #1, you can't as a defensman send in a hard dump in when your forwards aren't entering the other teams zone at full speed, all the Canes defensman had to do was to get to the dump in and send it high right down the middle of the ice (I think that happened at least 7 or 8 times last game).

- About #2, when the dump ins weren't working last game Kovalev, Souray, Ribeiro and Ryder reverted to trying to carry the puck inside the zone themselves, now only Kovalev can do that with any kind of success on this team, and even at that I wouldn't encourage such strategy. Which brings the question about puck support! Why isn't there anyone offering themselves up as a pass recpetion option it's like were dumping the puck in, and everyone is looking at themselves saying "you should get it, no, you should get it".

I think the team just needs to get back to basics, they're working hard for the most part, but they've just gotten away from what has made them successful this year, and that's using their speed and playing solid team defense.

Old
05-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Buumbaclat

FIrst of all, the reason for our deficient PP, is entering the offensive zone...
If you're not in the off zone, you're not gonna be able to set up your PP... and the Habs seem to have a lot of difficulty, either dump-chasing or passing their way in.

As for your idea about Ryder, I kinda see where you're coming from... but my opinion on that is resumed in 3 words: WOrst Idea Ever

Do you watch the game carefully? Because if you were, you would see that Ryder is the guy that has the most tendancies for give-aways. His passing is really questionnable, and his decision-making is possibly the worst of our "top-end" forwards.

keep him where he is: goalie's right side, dont give him the puck too much --> only for quick wristers or one-timers

Reduce his 5on5 play please

Old
05-02-2006, 01:14 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer
I understand it's hard to get it by 4 Canes on the blue line.

What I don't understand is why you dump it into the corner each and every time; then you lose 75% of the races for the puck.
It's not just racing for the puck. Even if you don't get the puck, enough pressure and coverage of the boards should let you keep the puck in the zone at least 50% of the time. It's not happening though. Partly because Bulis-Ribeiro-Kovalev is terrible at working the boards. Kovalev will never go deep in the zone, he'll cruise half way deep then wait. Ribeiro will never win a battle deep in. Bulis will sometimes get the puck, but then he will fumble it or give it away. Result: we can't establish our PP.

While he has his flaws, Bonk is fairly good working the boards, he's been good at faceoffs in the serie and he's been working the front of the net on the PP before (in Ottawa).

Old
05-02-2006, 01:15 PM
StanleyCH25

Have you ever seen Ryder take a shot from the blue line? I haven't. So for that reason alone, I wouldn't even bother as I don't think his precision is as good from that range. Ryder is a guy who likes to plant himself in a receiving position and then fire from the top of the circle or closer. The fact that he also fumbles with the puck when it's on his stick makes him a poor player to play on the point. The only thing you'd want him there for is to receive a puck and fire (and pray he doesn't miss or get his shot blocked to give the opposition a 2 on 1 or a breakaway).

I really don't think Ryder on the point is the answer to our PP problem. Carolina has managed to keep us along the boards and are playing us much tighter than they were before. If anything, we need to start moving the puck more quickly. We are allowing them to tie us up on the boards and they are winning the battles and clearing the zone. I would recommend playing the forwards a bit further from the defense to force them to spread out their square defence and have the forwards generate some traffic in front of the net while Souray or Markov take shots/passes towards the net. If they play closer to the defense, it should allow the forwards to have a bit more passing lanes to open up in the slot similarly to what the Sens do.

Old
05-02-2006, 01:21 PM

Also...maybe Souray could actually think about sometimes passing the puck instead of ALWAYS shooting whenever he gets the puck.

The book is out on Souray, everyone covers the point shot, he should use his hard shot as a decoy and pass it to the wing and let Kovalev/Markov create from there, at least sometimes

Old
05-02-2006, 01:24 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp77
Have you ever seen Ryder take a shot from the blue line? I haven't. So for that reason alone, I wouldn't even bother as I don't think his precision is as good from that range.
He did it two times in the last two games. I never thought about it before seeing him there either, but I was really impressed at his shot/precision/release. It's not really a new idea either since Bob Gainey put him at the point for an important shot.

Old
05-02-2006, 01:37 PM
NLfan56

You are joking of course aren't you?? If it weren't for his 5 on 5 ot goal in game 2 the boys would probably be on the golf course by now. I don't understand how all the people can come on this board posting such nonsense about different players. Are you seeing things that management isn't?? C'mon, smarten up!!! If BG likes what he sees, who are we to want to change it??

Old
05-02-2006, 01:53 PM
CalHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLfan56
You are joking of course aren't you?? If it weren't for his 5 on 5 ot goal in game 2 the boys would probably be on the golf course by now. I don't understand how all the people can come on this board posting such nonsense about different players. Are you seeing things that management isn't?? C'mon, smarten up!!! If BG likes what he sees, who are we to want to change it??
Unfortunately, there is no entry exam to join this board or any other...
Forums are made to express any opinions or ideas but you make a good point, some should think before typing away.
Btw, welcome to the boards.

Old
05-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
How about Komisarek on the point? He's got a pretty good shot

Old
05-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
Good shot yes, but vision and hockey sense is lacking.

Old
05-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Slick Nick

Ryder on point? Remeber Ward's goal a few nights ago? This is not a good idea...

I'd try Ryder-Ribeiro-Kovalev and Perezhogin-Plekanec-Higgins up front on PP.

Old
05-02-2006, 03:28 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
He's an average passer, takes bad decisions in the offensive zone and most of his shots are blocked by the D.

Old
05-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Habs4Life

vCash: 666
Ryder does have a good shot, but he's not very creative and he's passing is average.. I think we stick Higgins at the point.

Old
05-02-2006, 03:57 PM
doormat247

The Habs just need to get the traffic in front of the net. Ward won't save what he can't see.

He may be from my home town, but I hope he plays like a rookie goalie tonight.

Old
05-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by doormat247
The Habs just need to get the traffic in front of the net. Ward won't save what he can't see.

He may be from my home town, but I hope he plays like a rookie goalie tonight.
Theres the answer. Invade the crease.

Old
05-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Roots73

Boost PP??

I'd say drink lots of Cranberry Juice.

Closed Thread