HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Koivu: Status Vague?

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2006, 04:30 PM
KingJarl

vCash: 500
Koivu: Status Vague?

TSN has posted a vague report concerning Koivu and when he might play. Could BG be using some playoff subterfuge to surprise Carolina at gametime?

Maybe I'm grasping for straws here, but if Koivu were ready for the game tonight, I think I'd use the same strategy.

Kingjarl

Old
05-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Artyukhin*

no chance he plays tonight ... nudda

Old
05-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Joe Malone

Koivu Won't Play, But Eye Is Improving

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=164635&hubname=nhl

Old
05-02-2006, 04:40 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
I'm thinking that means very very very small outside shot for game 7, but should be back for early on in round 2.

Old
05-02-2006, 04:42 PM
KingJarl

TSN is now reporting:

"Koivu was to miss a third straight game Tuesday night."

"Gainey said he cannot predict when Koivu will be able to resume playing."

... I dunno ... but I can always hope!

Old
05-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Russeltown

If what you say is true, then Bob Gainey shouldn't coach in the NHL. Obviously he has enough experience and won many Stanley Cups.. You can't do that, even if you're in series.

Laviolette did the same, when he was hiding to the journalist who was going to be his starting goalie on game #3.

Old
05-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

if Koivu comes onto the ice out of nowhere tonight I gaurentee montreal will win the stanley cup. It would be the single greatest comeback in sports history. Man gets monstrous cut on his eye expected to miss weeks then returns. It would be like something from WWE.

Old
05-02-2006, 04:57 PM
KingJarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sYn
If what you say is true, then Bob Gainey shouldn't coach in the NHL. Obviously he has enough experience and won many Stanley Cups.. You can't do that, even if you're in series.

Laviolette did the same, when he was hiding to the journalist who was going to be his starting goalie on game #3.
I don't understand this comment. Why should he not coach in the NHL if he doesn't want to report the status of his most valuable player until gametime? Maybe they'll do a last minute assessment before gametime? Why is that so unreasonable?

That being said, I don't expect by any means to see him tonight, but I certainly don't think covering the severity of the injury is reason to call for BG's job (if that is what he is doing).

Kingjarl

Old
05-02-2006, 05:02 PM
doormat247

I'm with ya on that BG shouldn't have to say anything about the injury.

IMO no team should be forced to give specific information about injuries other then to say that a player may or may not play. Why paint a target on someone? This isn't football where you only play a team one time, this is hockey where you line up against the same guys for two solid weeks. Injury info is for the gamblers anyway.

Old
05-02-2006, 05:06 PM
Live Forever

Well, if and this is a Big IF Koivu manages to play a game in round 1 all I've got to say it that I've heard stories of players playing on one knee, a fractured wrist, broken ribs, broken foot, the flu, etc...but never have I heard of someone playing with only 1 functioning eye.

Old
05-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Garbs
HFBoards Sponsor

What's all this about a picture surfacing?

05-02-2006, 05:21 PM
KingJarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Forever
Well, if and this is a Big IF Koivu manages to play a game in round 1 all I've got to say it that I've heard stories of players playing on one knee, a fractured wrist, broken ribs, broken foot, the flu, etc...but never have I heard of someone playing with only 1 functioning eye.
Well that's just it. We have no idea how well he can see out of that eye.

... here's hoping!

Kingjarl

Old
05-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
if Koivu comes onto the ice out of nowhere tonight I gaurentee montreal will win the stanley cup. It would be the single greatest comeback in sports history. Man gets monstrous cut on his eye expected to miss weeks then returns. It would be like something from WWE.
Yeah, but then Williams would come from behind and hit him with a folding chair, and then Williams, Brind'Amour and Cole would stomp on him for a minute while everyone looked on in shock... then they would run away while Souray, Downey and Komisarek came running

Then J.R. would be screaming "Oh my God!" over and over again

The worst of the above is I only see like 5 minutes of wrestling a week because I'm waiting for SportsCenter

Old
05-02-2006, 06:08 PM
The n00b King *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer
Yeah, but then Williams would come from behind and hit him with a folding chair, and then Williams, Brind'Amour and Cole would stomp on him for a minute while everyone looked on in shock... then they would run away while Souray, Downey and Komisarek came running

The worst of the above is I only see like 5 minutes of wrestling a week because I'm waiting for SportsCenter
i dont watch wrestling but i would pay to see that.

Old
05-02-2006, 06:11 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer

Nice

Old
05-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Raider917

has a career threatening injury been completely ruled out yet?

Old
05-02-2006, 06:54 PM
KingJarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917
has a career threatening injury been completely ruled out yet?
From what I gather, it seems a career threatening injury has been all but ruled out. That is, there are still parts of the eye they can't check - but if the recovery continues at this pace, there should be no permanent damage.

Old
05-02-2006, 06:56 PM
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJarl
I don't understand this comment. Why should he not coach in the NHL if he doesn't want to report the status of his most valuable player until gametime? Maybe they'll do a last minute assessment before gametime? Why is that so unreasonable?

That being said, I don't expect by any means to see him tonight, but I certainly don't think covering the severity of the injury is reason to call for BG's job (if that is what he is doing).

Kingjarl
Well, he can "hide" his line-up... but if a journalist asks about Saku, he should at least answer about. I have a lot of respect in Bob, so I trust him when he says that Saku won't come back. NHL is not WWE hehe.

Closed Thread