HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Anaheim is going to need a defensemen

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2006, 07:49 PM
Randall Graves*

vCash: 500
Anaheim is going to need a defensemen

Any idea as to who they go after? They have 20 million in committed salaries next year and could be less if Burke decides to trade Giguere. Salei is a UFA and with Smid likely coming up next year I can see Burke wanting to get a pretty significant upgrade so he can play Smid with him.

What do you guys think, will Burke shoot high and go after a Chara or look at the next tier with guys like Jovo/Kubina etc

Old
05-02-2006, 07:50 PM
clay

They could go after Redden or Chara. That would be a sick top 2 defense with Niedermayer.

Old
05-02-2006, 08:00 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
hatcher, rathje, and gauthier could be had.

Old
05-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovercraft
hatcher, rathje, and gauthier could be had.

trade ya Sandis for Kondratiev.

Old
05-02-2006, 09:01 PM
8BostonRocker24

They already have the best defenseman in the NHL, no need to add Chara or Redden.

IMO, I would shot to add 1 or 2 of the following:
Gill
Mitchell
Kubina
Mara
Boynton (sign and trade)

Old
05-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24
They already have the best defenseman in the NHL, no need to add Chara or Redden.

IMO, I would shot to add 1 or 2 of the following:
Gill
Mitchell
Kubina
Mara
Boynton (sign and trade)
Hal Gill?? Why don't they just sign a pine tree?

Old
05-02-2006, 09:13 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
Any idea as to who they go after? They have 20 million in committed salaries next year and could be less if Burke decides to trade Giguere. Salei is a UFA and with Smid likely coming up next year I can see Burke wanting to get a pretty significant upgrade so he can play Smid with him.

What do you guys think, will Burke shoot high and go after a Chara or look at the next tier with guys like Jovo/Kubina etc
I'm afraid Burke might give signed veterans playing time over a ready-Ladislav Smid.

Otherwise, there should be a few 3-4 defensemen around for 2.5-4 million per year. Bidding should drive the prices upward.

Old
05-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay
They could go after Redden or Chara. That would be a sick top 2 defense with Niedermayer.
In the salary cap era, I don't think any team can afford to spend $15 million on its top 2 defensemen.

Old
05-02-2006, 09:22 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I'm not sure Burke will sign another dman to a contract similar to Niedermayer's, and Chara and Redden will get offers over $5-6 million.

And factor in the contract they will have to offer to retain Selanne. And I'm not so sure Andy McDonald and Chris Kunitz will match their numbers from this season, too much of a risk to rely upon. Getzlaf and Perry should get better though.

The Ducks checking lines appear to be fine. If they move Giguere, they can't just go with Bryzgalov and one of McKee or Marsters or Wall backing him up.

And with Niedermayer, Beauchemin, Vishnevski, O'Donnell, Smid and possibly DiPenta returning. There is also Kondratiev in the system but who knows if he'll have a shot at cracking the Ducks roster or if he'll return to Russia.

Honestly, I think you are aiming too high if you expect the Ducks to land another #1 defenseman.

Old
05-02-2006, 10:21 PM
RightKinger

Rob Blake. Get it done Burke.

Old
05-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10
I'm afraid Burke might give signed veterans playing time over a ready-Ladislav Smid.

Otherwise, there should be a few 3-4 defensemen around for 2.5-4 million per year. Bidding should drive the prices upward.
Burke has publicly mentioned that he believes that Smid will be on the team next year.

Old
05-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
I'm not sure Burke will sign another dman to a contract similar to Niedermayer's, and Chara and Redden will get offers over $5-6 million.

And factor in the contract they will have to offer to retain Selanne. And I'm not so sure Andy McDonald and Chris Kunitz will match their numbers from this season, too much of a risk to rely upon. Getzlaf and Perry should get better though.

The Ducks checking lines appear to be fine. If they move Giguere, they can't just go with Bryzgalov and one of McKee or Marsters or Wall backing him up.

And with Niedermayer, Beauchemin, Vishnevski, O'Donnell, Smid and possibly DiPenta returning. There is also Kondratiev in the system but who knows if he'll have a shot at cracking the Ducks roster or if he'll return to Russia.

Honestly, I think you are aiming too high if you expect the Ducks to land another #1 defenseman.
No i'm not aiming too high hoping for an upgrade on Salei. Selanne is not going to command big numbers, and neither is Mcdonald.

Old
05-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Personally, I think the Ducks should first try to re-sign Salei. If failing that, I'd target Danii Markov as he seems like he'd fit their team well. After that, I'd try to get a good 2 way guy that can run a PP. Maybe Kim Johnsson would be worth taking a flier (har har) on. Kubina would be the top choice there of course, but I can see his price getting driven up higher than is warranted.

Old
05-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
No i'm not aiming too high hoping for an upgrade on Salei. Selanne is not going to command big numbers, and neither is Mcdonald.
Get back to me when Selanne and McDonald re-sign.

Old
05-02-2006, 11:18 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Mac will be at 2-2.5 and Selenne around 3.5....I think Burke makes a run at Jovonovski and Elias but its going to be real hard to get them over to Anaheim.

It all depends on what happens with Rusty. If he is resigned then Burke will probably get a #3-4 dman, and pair Salei with Smid. If not, I can easily see Burke going after Jovonovski. I dont think Redden or Chara are a possibility since the cost will be pretty high, and the Ducks need either a 2nd line caliber center or a 1st/2nd line LW and that will command some cash as well.

Old
05-02-2006, 11:24 PM
sammyp

Send a message via AIM to sammyp
Quote:
Here's what I expect:

Selanne (UFA): 3 yrs. ~11 mil
McDonald (RFA): 2 yrs. ~6 mil

Old
05-02-2006, 11:25 PM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76over39
Here's what I expect:

Selanne (UFA): 3 yrs. ~11 mil
McDonald (RFA): 2 yrs. ~6 mil
Selanne mentioned that he only wants to make one year contracts because of possible health issues.

Old
05-02-2006, 11:27 PM
sammyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static
Mac will be at 2-2.5 and Selenne around 3.5....I think Burke makes a run at Jovonovski and Elias but its going to be real hard to get them over to Anaheim.

It all depends on what happens with Rusty. If he is resigned then Burke will probably get a #3-4 dman, and pair Salei with Smid. If not, I can easily see Burke going after Jovonovski. I dont think Redden or Chara are a possibility since the cost will be pretty high, and the Ducks need either a 2nd line caliber center or a 1st/2nd line LW and that will command some cash as well.
I don't think Burke will be going after a center. We seem pretty set there with McDonald, Getzlaf, Marchant, Pahlsson, Konopka, etc. He should be going after a top-6 LW though. I originally didn't welcome the idea of bringing in Elias, but he's starting to look better and better as every day goes by.

Old
05-02-2006, 11:28 PM
sammyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksforcup
Selanne mentioned that he only wants to make one year contracts because of possible health issues.
Really? I haven't heard about this.

Old
05-03-2006, 12:23 AM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76over39
I don't think Burke will be going after a center. We seem pretty set there with McDonald, Getzlaf, Marchant, Pahlsson, Konopka, etc. He should be going after a top-6 LW though. I originally didn't welcome the idea of bringing in Elias, but he's starting to look better and better as every day goes by.
Im not sure that Im comftorable with Getzlaf as a full time 2nd line center. I still wouldnt mind getting Arnott and moving Mac to LW.

Old
05-03-2006, 12:31 AM
hattrick74

Salei Ruslan $1,824,000.00 increase $2,500,000.00

Vishnevski Vitali $1,140,000.00 increase $1,311,000.00
Selanne Teemu $1,000,000.00 increase $3,500,000.00
Lupul Joffrey $900,600.00 increase $1,500,000.00

McDonald Andy $627,000.00 increase $1,500,000.00

Kunitz Chris $461,900.00 increase $750,000.00
Bryzgalov Ilja $456,000.00 increase $900,000.00
DiPenta Joe $450,000.00 increase $520,000.00
Fedoruk Todd $450,000.00 increase $650,000.00

Stan Chistov $0.00 increase $1,200,000.00

which increases the payroll to about $35 mil, which gives them 8-10 mil to work with. i doubt they go for a #1 deman, that would take up 3/4 of their cap space and burke has said he wont spend up to the cap...

Old
05-03-2006, 12:47 AM
caliamad

Burke has said he is very confident Smid will be with team next year multiple times.

I think he was thinking Salei would walk.

I also think the ducks will need to move a forward to give top minutes to Penner, who they should give top 6 minutes. I expect Kunitz or Lupul to be moved as well.

Burke has said he won't increase payrol much, so unless they can move Gigurere (and if they do i hope they get a reasonable return for him), they will have room for a top defenseman.

Watching the calgary series, its obvious the coach doesn't have faith in anyone besides Niedermayer in defensive situations. Since he plays in so many scoring situations, he's been way too overused.

I hope they get Chara or Jovo to put let strain on him... if so...

Niedermayer Beachemein
Chara/Jovo Vishnevski
O'Donnel Smid

exta Dipenta

Old
05-03-2006, 12:49 AM
caliamad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static
Im not sure that Im comftorable with Getzlaf as a full time 2nd line center. I still wouldnt mind getting Arnott and moving Mac to LW.
i definitely want him to get 2nd line minutes. Only way he will improve his skills and defense. That kid is a talent, not overchkin, but gotta play him, perry and penner.

They are the reasons I think we can invest in defense and not offense.

Old
05-03-2006, 02:11 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Neither of them are in positions to demand big dollars.

Selanne had his first elite season in five years and is in his mid 30's.

This is McDonalds FIRST productive year.

Whatever Selanne gets will be a 1/2 year deal. McDonald is looking at 2-3 million.

Old
05-03-2006, 02:32 AM
infected13

Selanne wants to retire a duck, he did NOT say he wanted 1 year contracts because of health reasons, his quote was more to the extent of he wants to take things 1 year at a time from now on and see how he feels. I.e. he doesnt want to be a Fedorov, when hes not being productive, he wants to end it. I expect him to command around 1-3 million. I say that low because hes not gonna walk, we want him in anahiem and he wants to stay here, I think he would play cheap to get more talent in here.

McDonald will be resigned, He makes close to league minimum and Burke has already stated hes going to be getting a huge raise and that he didnt feel at all bad about giving it to him. I expect him to resign asap. I DONT expect Odonnal to stay if we sign another D-man, especially if its Jovo. They need smid to play with someone who is more defensively sound, DiPenta is a better choice, hes very good in his own end, hes not flashy or anything but he gets his job done without making a target of himself.

Closed Thread