HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

I found a major problem with the Habs

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2003, 06:31 AM
HABitude

vCash: 500
I found a major problem with the Habs

I guess you may smile at my title.
Oh what? There is a major problem with the Habs?
(sarcasm)

Everybody including GM Bob says Habs lack of size on the top 2 lines.
Yeah it's true but they lack of a lot of things.

Size
Work ethic
Team spirit
Skills

and ...

... SPEED !!

I watch a Hab game and I switch to the Leaf's game and what jump at my eyes:
Habs are playing a slow game. How many times did you zap from an Hab game to a western game (includind the Oilers for example) and the speed of the players looked like fast forward?
What forwards are fast with the habs: only Bulis and Zednik are fast.
Rib is not fast enough to create room, Perreault is the slowest NHL player, Audette is very average, Dackell is slow, Juneau can be fast sometimes, like for his winning in OT.

I you take a close look at a team like Wilds, Lemaire has builted a team fast on skates, it was obvious last year in the playoffs. A fast team can always play an offensive system and still be very responsable defensively. Playing the trap with speedy players is hard to beat.

If a team doesn't have size, speed is a good alternative. When Habs right now doesn't have either size, speed and skills, we are in trouble.

Old
11-02-2003, 07:10 AM
SwedenRulez

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude

... SPEED !!
The overall team's speed(skating) is under the league average IMO, and to execute a play... the Habs are very slow. Sure the skating speed doesn't help in the execution of a play but what the Habs need is more like "mental", the players take way too much time to see their team-mates and make a pass, or to take a shot at the net.

For a team like the Canadiens (little sized) the only way to win is to be fast at executing plays,if not, the big sized opponent will check you before you can do anything.

Old
11-02-2003, 09:15 AM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Koivu, Kilger, Bulis, Zednik, Dackell, Begin, Markov and Hainsey are all fairly good skaters, it's not just Bulis and Zednik, there's a problem at that level, it's clear, but we don't have only two fast skaters...

Komisarek, Higgins, Perezhogin, Plekanec, Balej... that'll help a lot in that regard.

Old
11-02-2003, 09:25 AM
ShootOut

Send a message via ICQ to ShootOut Send a message via MSN to ShootOut
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger
Koivu, Kilger, Bulis, Zednik, Dackell, Begin, Markov and Hainsey are all fairly good skaters, it's not just Bulis and Zednik, there's a problem at that level, it's clear, but we don't have only two fast skaters...

Komisarek, Higgins, Perezhogin, Plekanec, Balej... that'll help a lot in that regard.
Kilger, a fast skater? My mother would beat him with one foot tied behind her back.

This guy hasn't done anything decent for the past two years.

Old
11-02-2003, 10:11 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootOut
Kilger, a fast skater? My mother would beat him with one foot tied behind her back.

Maybe he suck but your mother isnt faster then C-Kill.

seriously, Kilger isnt slow he as good speed but he always desapear for long stretchs.

Old
11-02-2003, 10:19 AM
Corey

I agree. Kilger has good straightahead speed. He's a lot faster than Ribeiro and Perreault. The problem is, he skates at one speed and doesn't use all his gears. He's not shifty.

By the way, he had 9 goals last season, more than Ribeiro.

Old
11-02-2003, 10:28 AM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootOut

When he was with the Oilers, he won the fastest skater contest... he's really fast... he looks slow, but most big guys look that way.

Old
11-02-2003, 10:44 AM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger
When he was with the Oilers, he won the fastest skater contest... he's really fast... he looks slow, but most big guys look that way.
He does have good speed, and possesses a powerful stride. I'd say he'd form, with Bulis and Dykhuis, our top 3 skaters. With that being said, Saku would have easily been among the top 3 before all the injuries he had, in my opinion.

Old
11-02-2003, 10:50 AM
BLONG7

Our special teams suck right now... making them not so special!

Old
11-02-2003, 10:54 AM
SwedenRulez

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7
Our special teams suck right now... making them not so special!
Defenitively, looks like the Habs always do the same play on PP (passing behind the net, to the corner to the point, to one D-man to the other, passing behing the net, trying to pass in front of the net, the D-Man pick up the puck and shot to the net 1:46 later) there is a lack of intelligent passes and shots IMO.

Old
11-02-2003, 11:41 AM
Mike8

How do we forget about Hossa?

I would say he's competitive with any Hab in terms of speed. Added to that, he has different gears and good mobility.

Old
11-02-2003, 11:52 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
... SPEED !!
JB is coming ....

Old
11-02-2003, 12:05 PM
HABitude

I know there not only Bulis and Zednik who are fast. They look like the 2 only guys who play a fast game. They use that speed while fast guys like Kilger and Hossa look slow. I mean this team isn't that slow but if we take a look at every line, there is always a slow player, so the entire line can't play a speedy game together. It's more a question of team speed. We have decent speed with defence. Markov, Souray, Hainsey and Brisebois are fast enough.

The farm team have Perezhogin, Plekanek and Balej, we can add Kats.
How these players will fit into a generally slow team?
I think Gainey and Julien will have to ask more speed and faster execution of plays to the players. I didn't see one-timers, slap-shots that happens like lightning. The Hab offensive is too slow in execution and too predictable.

Not a very good show to watch a saturday night. I start thinking about renting a good dvd instead.

Old
11-02-2003, 12:16 PM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
JB is coming ....
I know J Balej is fast, i was at the Bell Center last year at the opening pre-season game when he scored 2 goals against Florida #2 goalie.

This guy is like a roadrunner. But I never read he is coming. Like Plekanek and many others, he is kindda lightweigt. We had Petrov and Berezin (who both had space rocket acceleration) and the team didn't keep them. A fast player need something else: character, skills, grit, size, or he will only be fast, a one-dimension player.

If Balej is more than a Petrov or a Berezin, why not bringing him with the big team? I've heard Plekanek would be coming, he plays a better overall game than Balej.

Am I right?

Old
11-02-2003, 01:56 PM
AK-47

What? Only one?

Old
11-03-2003, 06:28 AM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-47
What? Only one?
No, not only one but speed is one of the missing qualities mentioned above:
Size
Work ethic
Team spirit
Skills
Speed

I just want to point that speed is important to the game.
When every player is able to fly on the ice, it makes good general fast play possible.
Like Mennesota Wilds.

Old
11-03-2003, 06:42 AM
Darz

Speed and/or size rules the NHL. A player that doesn't possess either has a very hard time making it in the NHL. It's the reason Corey Locke is a 4th rounder instead of a 1st rounder.
We do have size/speed issues and they are a major problem because right now our top two centre's have neither. It's very hard to generate a lot of scoring chances coming over the blueline when this is the case. With Koivu in the lineup the problem is quite a bit less because Koivu has decent speed (he can make plays at top speed as well) and plays alot bigger than he is.
It's also a hard problem to fix because you just can't go grab yourself a top two line centre with good speed/size because even if they are avalaible they will cost you a ton in trade.
I'm not sure there is an easy answer to this problem, and I'm sure BG is looking at every angle to try and solve this problem.

Closed Thread