HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens at the IIHF World Championships

Old
05-15-2006, 03:13 PM
MMX

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector
I can't see the videos, there is only sound... I tried with Windows media player and Quicktime!
I guess you don't have appropriate video codecs installed. Try this one, it's free and really good:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm

MMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 03:44 PM
MMX

Thanks for all the kind words, it's my pleasure sharing my beloved team's play with you

Old
05-15-2006, 03:56 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMX
Thanks for all the kind words, it's my pleasure sharing my beloved team's play with you
I think they`re gonna become us Habs` fans beloved team to an extent as well figuring we have probably their top three players in our system right now! But really awesome reports MMX, your the best!!

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 05:01 PM
Prospector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMX
I guess you don't have appropriate video codecs installed. Try this one, it's free and really good:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm
There is an error while i am installing the program: "Error while registering ffdshow.ax"

Do you have any suggestions or another media player?

I would like a lot to see the videos

Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 07:50 AM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMX
I don't know what you think about this, but let's say Kostitsyn Junior would've been eliminated sooner, do you think he would've had a place on that team???

Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 08:18 AM
FrankMTL

Early Assist for Grabovsky, Belarus leads 1-0

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
2-0 Belarus in the 3rd.

All Belarus needs is a tie to advance.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 09:14 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Switzerland scores early in the third, so now 2-1 Belarus.

Skabelka and Zadelenov are having good tournaments for Belarus, so I looked them up to see if we they had been drafted by anyone, or if we might be interested in them, but unfortunately, they are 35 and 30 years old respectively.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 09:20 AM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
Switzerland scores early in the third, so now 2-1 Belarus.

Skabelka and Zadelenov are having good tournaments for Belarus, so I looked them up to see if we they had been drafted by anyone, or if we might be interested in them, but unfortunately, they are 35 and 30 years old respectively.
LOL. I did the same thing yesterday - I was disappointed to say the least.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 11:37 AM
MMX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
2-0 Belarus in the 3rd.

All Belarus needs is a tie to advance.
Belarus wins 2-1 and advances into quater-finals!
We'll face Finland on Thursday.

Old
05-16-2006, 11:42 AM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMX
Belarus wins 2-1 and advances into quater-finals!
We'll face Finland on Thursday.
Seemed a pretty quiet day for our guys, though Grabo had 1 assist. I believe a report is coming soon...

We're so spoiled...

Old
05-16-2006, 11:42 AM
MMX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector
There is an error while i am installing the program: "Error while registering ffdshow.ax"

Do you have any suggestions or another media player?

I would like a lot to see the videos
You don't need another player, WMP picks up all the codecs installed. I don't have any idea why FFDShow refuses to install though

Old
05-16-2006, 11:49 AM
MMX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix
I don't know what you think about this, but let's say Kostitsyn Junior would've been eliminated sooner, do you think he would've had a place on that team???
Interesting question. I've heard some rumblings about possibility of such call-up, so I'd say it's 50-50. You have to keep in mind that Belarus is missing some of top forwards like Koltsov and Kaliuzhny. Had they not been injured there definetely wouldn't be any openings up front for Kostitsyn Junior this year. His time will come though.

Old
05-16-2006, 11:52 AM
MMX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix
Seemed a pretty quiet day for our guys, though Grabo had 1 assist. I believe a report is coming soon...

We're so spoiled...
Report is coming a little bit later today as I have some work to do (I went home to watch the game so now I have to make up for that).

Old
05-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Matrix

Aebi and The Swiss eliminated from the quarter-final with a Slovakia win over Ukraine....

Old
05-16-2006, 05:49 PM
MMX

Hi guys,

Here is my brief report on Belarus-Switzerland game.

There was some pre-game talk about some "treaty" between Belarus and Switzerland as tie would satisfy both teams and dump Slovakia out of quater-finals. They didn't even accept bets on this game! Fortunately, the game proved all those "experts" wrong. It was constant struggle from beginning till the very end. Both teams played tight defensive hockey without many scoring chances. I also have to mention officiating. In contrast to other games, ref didn't follow "zero tolerance" mantra of late and was reluctant to give penalties for clutching and grabbing. This gave Team Switzerland obvious advantage when defending against speedy Belarusian forwards.

Mikhail Grabovsky started the game at left wing and was the prime focus of Swiss defense. Every time he received puck there was somebody near him, grabbing him and pinning him to the boards, effectively taking away his speed. Hanlon probably noticed this, too, as he moved him to center later. Grabovsky proceeded to play some shifts at center and some on wing. Mikhail factored in the first Belarusian goal. Together with Andrei Skabelka they won the puck from Swiss defense behind the net, Skabelka skated out of the corner into the slot and buried the shot top shelf. Aebisher never stood a chance. During the game, Grabovsky had several rushes with the puck but couldn't beat Swiss defense. He did create one scoring chance but teammates failed to bang home juicy rebound after Grabovsky's shot was parried by Aebisher.
Overall, Michail was less effective today, it was probably average game for him. I'd attribute it to personal attention he received from Switzerland and tight, defensive way the game was played.

Andrei Kostitsyn played OK. Was slightly more noticeable than Grabovsky today. Again played point on PP but also spent some time upfront. Carried the puck well several times, effectively covering it with his frame. Again launched lots of shots, definetely seems like shoot-first type of player. Had 2-on-1 breakaway with Grabovsky but preferred to shoot instead of passing. Almost scored in the 3rd period but was tripped when reaching for rebound in the slot.

Some notes on Swiss Canadiens:
David Aebisher was shaky. Didn't look confident to me. Left lots of rebounds, including the second goal (as you'll see in the video). Did stop Meleshko one on one late in the 3rd though.
Mark Streit was one of the best players for Team Switzerland. Played physical game and had several dangerous shots from the point. Also committed horrible giveaway in his own zone that fortunately to Switzerland didn't lead to goal.

That's it, you'll see more details in highlights tomorrow

Old
05-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

MMX, what's the main weakness of Kostitsyn right now?

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2006, 05:41 AM
MMX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
MMX, what's the main weakness of Kostitsyn right now?
I'd say it's "shoot first" mentality. He should learn to use his teammates better. He is also less eager to stickhandle this year. Andrei is becoming too predictable with the puck (or is he doing what coaches told him to?). Overall, he looks solid to me, but is yet to show his game-breaking ability.

Old
05-17-2006, 06:02 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMX
I'd say it's "shoot first" mentality. He should learn to use his teammates better. He is also less eager to stickhandle this year. Andrei is becoming too predictable with the puck (or is he doing what coaches told him to?). Overall, he looks solid to me, but is yet to show his game-breaking ability.
Interesting to hear this. I know in the past people have commented on his attempts to do too much with the puck instead of using his teammates, but there were times this year while he was in Hamilton (particularly on the PP) that his coach took him off the PP (or sometimes just moved him from the point) becuase he didn't shoot the puck, he was always looking to pass it elsewhere.

It appears to be something he really has to find a good balence for in his game. He can go to the extremes where he does one too much of the time, but if he can just find that level where he can make the right play for a situation or vary his approach and disguise his intentions then he will become more effective. I think that if he can spend most of next season in Montreal, the hard work that will be expected of all the players combined with the increased level of skill and experience of the players around him will only be of great benefit to him.

Hopefully he will have a good game against Finland

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2006, 06:30 AM
MMX

Clips of Belarus-Switzerland game are here:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=252712

Old
05-17-2006, 11:37 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

For those that haven't seen/heard yet, Mike Komisarek and Team USA have been eliminated from contention after being blown out by Team Sweden 6-0 in the early quarterfinal today. Komi finished today's game with no points, no shots, and a -1.

Old
05-17-2006, 01:41 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave
Interesting to hear this. I know in the past people have commented on his attempts to do too much with the puck instead of using his teammates, but there were times this year while he was in Hamilton (particularly on the PP) that his coach took him off the PP (or sometimes just moved him from the point) becuase he didn't shoot the puck, he was always looking to pass it elsewhere.

It appears to be something he really has to find a good balence for in his game. He can go to the extremes where he does one too much of the time, but if he can just find that level where he can make the right play for a situation or vary his approach and disguise his intentions then he will become more effective. I think that if he can spend most of next season in Montreal, the hard work that will be expected of all the players combined with the increased level of skill and experience of the players around him will only be of great benefit to him.

Hopefully he will have a good game against Finland
I think he'll be fine when he plays with someone he has to 'defer' to. When a veteran is specific to him about moving the puck and finding open areas, esp. in his own language, I believe you'll see progress.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Tomas Plekanec, Jan Bulis, and the Czech Republic advance to the semi-final on Saturday with an OT win today over Russia.

Pleky looked ok, not as good as in some past games, but still alright.

The Russian coach benched Malkin and Ovechkin a lot for some unknown reason.

Old
05-18-2006, 11:03 AM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu

Pleky looked ok, not as good as in some past games, but still alright.
No wonder why he was just average... it seems like his head coach is asking him to play strictly defence. Instead of forechecking and creating offence, he just standed there moving his stick and trying to block passing lanes. That's too bad because he can be an offensive catalyst.

didjuicythat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Chipchura
No wonder why he was just average... it seems like his head coach is asking him to play strictly defence. Instead of forechecking and creating offence, he just standed there moving his stick and trying to block passing lanes. That's too bad because he can be an offensive catalyst.
Yep, I also imagine he was scolded after his 4 minute high-sticking penalty in the first period. It was clearly accidental and all, but it certainly didn't seem to put him in the coach's better books for the rest of the game.