HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Biggest Hab under-achievers so far

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2003, 06:39 AM
plafleur10

vCash: 500
Biggest Hab under-achievers so far

With 12 games played, a 6-6 record, but a 1-4 record in the last 5 games, the time has come to give a first look to who has been under-achieving so far.

My picks:

On defense, Rivet by far has been the biggest under-achiever (his lack of coverage on softee Rucinsky on the 3rd goal yesterday was pathetic) and to a certain extent, Markov has also been much less of a factor than last year, don't know if he is hurt by his partner's play or having problems of his own...

At forward, the "Washington bunch" of Bulis and Zednik are my 2 biggest disappointments. Bulis has failed to pick up from what looked like a breakthrough season last year and Zednik is doing nothing.

Also the much-heralded Habs' prospects have been ineffective so far. Hossa is a pale shadow of his brother despite tons of quality ice time, Ward before his injury was showing good grit and work ethic but an overall play a step or 2 below NHL top-2 line level,Hainsey is getting his "quality" time in the press box or on the bench and Ryder has slowed down after a hot start, while the others are in Hamilton.

To finish, Audette has been useless, but "under-achieving" does not apply to him due to the already very low expectations we had for him.

Theo has been OK but the total lack of margin of manoeuver this week offensive team gives him brings a lot of pressure, as evidenced by the total team collapse yesterday night after he gave a very soft 2nd goal at late in the 2nd period.

Koivu missing what now amounts to close to 1/6th of the season with a supposedly not serious injury is also a big disappointment and unfortunately confirms that he can't be relied on for 82 games a season year in and year out...

Old
11-02-2003, 06:50 AM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
Marcel Hossa is my pick for underachiever... he isn't doing anything, he is slow, boring and plays without any heart or emotion. I never liked him, and he isn't doing anything to gain any praise from me.. I guess he wasn't a very good pick.Well, he still has plenty of time to develop, you just can't write him off at this point, but things aren't looking as good as they should in his case.

Old
11-02-2003, 07:27 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome`
Marcel Hossa is my pick for underachiever... he isn't doing anything, he is slow, boring and plays without any heart or emotion. I never liked him, and he isn't doing anything to gain any praise from me.. I guess he wasn't a very good pick.Well, he still has plenty of time to develop, you just can't write him off at this point, but things aren't looking as good as they should in his case.
What the hell are you talking about? He's the one of the only players going in the corners to dig out the puck. Plays good on the boards. He's not gonna score 50 goals but he is digging and hitting. I like his play. He's having his best year so far. I can't believe people are still ragging on him.

Old
11-02-2003, 07:42 AM
Lewis63

In goal: both playing well
On Defense: Mr. Rivet is just lost out there
At Forward: Zed is not showing any heart
Behind the bench: Guy Charron (special units) what special units!?!?

Old
11-02-2003, 07:46 AM
Wildbeliefs

Audette: He seems invisible almost every game

Perreault: Seems to not understand the notion of defense very well, and although he does score now and then, I don't think he does good enough to warrant a 2nd line centering job.

Zednik: Greedy greedy greedy. All I can say. Maybe he'll be better with Koivu, but for now I'm not impressed...

Rivet: You know, it takes me a long time to think about some positive aspects to his game. I REALLY don't like him. But anyways, I think we all know his faults and I don't need to post them again...

Old
11-02-2003, 07:50 AM
Wildbeliefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis63
Behind the bench: Guy Charron (special units) what special units!?!?
I was discussing this with my friend last night... why does this man still have a job? Special units were horrendous last year with Charron, and are the same this year. The lack of pp punch was really pissing me off against NY... Rangers had what? 8 penalties? And it took us almost 6 minutes of continuous pp, including some 2 man advantage time to get a fluke goal... anyways, I'm ranting. I'll stop now...

Old
11-02-2003, 07:51 AM
AzNDrAgOn

vCash:
I don't think Hossa is far from being our biggest under-archiever. He only got 2 pts in 12 games, but we didn't expect him to be our top player didn't we ? He isn't the one supposed to score 25 goals for us this season. 3 biggest under-archievers in my opinion :

Audette, he was supposed to score at least 20 goals for us this year. So far in 12 games, he only got 1 under his belt.

Zednik, we expected way more from him as being our top sniper. He managed to score 31 goals last year, but in 12 games, he only scored 2. If he continues to struggle, he won't even reach the 20 goals mark.

Rivet, I think that he's playing really poor hockey right now. As the leader the team right now (Koivu injured), he's just pathetic. Poor defence (-4), poor powerplay (2 pts) and poor physical play. Last year, he had the excuse of playing with an injured wrist. What about now ? His wrist is 100% healthy, and I don't see him playing physical.

Old
11-02-2003, 07:53 AM
Lewis63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbeliefs
I was discussing this with my friend last night... why does this man still have a job? Special units were horrendous last year with Charron, and are the same this year. The lack of pp punch was really pissing me off against NY... Rangers had what? 8 penalties? And it took us almost 6 minutes of continuous pp, including some 2 man advantage time to get a fluke goal... anyways, I'm ranting. I'll stop now...

Exactly!

Old
11-02-2003, 08:06 AM
Slick Nick

How can Zednik score when he's playing with a junior at center. Ribeiro is really overrated with the habs, as soon Koivu gets back in the line up, Zednik will score.

My picks are Rivet and Audette.

Old
11-02-2003, 08:56 AM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick
How can Zednik score when he's playing with a junior at center. Ribeiro is really overrated with the habs, as soon Koivu gets back in the line up, Zednik will score.

My picks are Rivet and Audette.
You are wrong my friend. First of all, Ribeiro is far from being a junior center. This guy's got tremendous skills, and is actually pretty good at setting up plays for Zednik, who misses most of his chances. Usually, a 30-goal man should be able to create scoring chances for himself. However, he looks like a jerk on the ice, and the only thing he's been able to create up to now is turnovers for the other teams. Same story for Donald Audette.

Maybe if he would learn how to pass the puck, he'd be able to make things happen. He's such a selfish player, it's not even funny. No creativity. Where's the Zednik we had seen in the 2002 playoffs? To make it short and sweet, Ribeiro is definatly not the one to blame.

Old
11-02-2003, 10:01 AM
KnuklZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsFan
You are wrong my friend. First of all, Ribeiro is far from being a junior center. This guy's got tremendous skills, and is actually pretty good at setting up plays for Zednik, who misses most of his chances. Usually, a 30-goal man should be able to create scoring chances for himself. However, he looks like a jerk on the ice, and the only thing he's been able to create up to now is turnovers for the other teams. Same story for Donald Audette.

Maybe if he would learn how to pass the puck, he'd be able to make things happen. He's such a selfish player, it's not even funny. No creativity. Where's the Zednik we had seen in the 2002 playoffs? To make it short and sweet, Ribeiro is definatly not the one to blame.
I would agree with that...Ribeiro at least from the playmaking aspect and setting up scoring chances is on par with Koivu. I think Z has been getting his chances and should be getting more goals. It would help his line and the Habs in general if he were to pass the puck to the open man as oposed to taking low percentage shots all the time...its not like he is catching the goalie by surprise as every team knows by now that he NEVER passes!

Old
11-02-2003, 10:03 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10
Hossa is a pale shadow of his brother despite tons of quality ice time
I'M LOSING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
11-02-2003, 10:24 AM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsFan

So Ribeiro should be put on a line with an unselfish player who can pass and score? Who is that masked man on the Habs?

Old
11-02-2003, 10:33 AM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuklZ
...its not like he is catching the goalie by surprise as every team knows by now that he NEVER passes!
You are right. At least, if you're going to take a shot, please make sure it's the best decision. How many times has he taken a shot from the face off circle instead of doing the smart pass that most of the time leads to a goal? Several times. It looks to me like he's focusing too much on scoring goals, and not enough on his team in general.

In response to Corey, what can I say, we don't have this kind of player. But that was not my point. I'm not expecting Zednik to be both a playmaker and a sniper at the same time, but please, pass the puck to your teammates more often. It's as simple as that. Because right now he's often the one that messes up the play in the offensive zone, mostly because he wants to keep the puck for himself. Every team needs guys who can score, and who like to shoot more, but at times he should really pass the puck.

Old
11-02-2003, 10:45 AM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
I'M LOSING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Isn't it frustrating to hear such things ...

And they are the same one crying for Gainey to insert more youth in the line up...

Sigh ...

Old
11-02-2003, 11:27 AM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
He must bring youth in the line-up if they deserve it, you don't go out and give them a spot if they will fail to play like NHLers.

Closed Thread