HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Official Anze Kopitar thread (all Kopitar talk go here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2006, 01:05 PM
Peter James Bond

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slovenija
Yes,especially his skating has much improved since last year.
If thats true, no way this kid ever sees Manchester, unless he ever chooses to visit there.

Old
05-04-2006, 02:29 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond
If thats true, no way this kid ever sees Manchester, unless he ever chooses to visit there.
I don't think he'll ever go there unless it's a conditioning assignment...

Old
05-04-2006, 04:23 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
I don't think he'll ever go there unless it's a conditioning assignment...
I cant wait until I get my Kopitar jersey. I dont think he will go to Manchester either.

Old
05-04-2006, 09:32 PM
jurtur

Tomorrow at 4.15 PM CET Slovenia will play Finland at the WC . Kopitar will be playing on the 1st line . Here is the Finlands lineup:
1st
Miettinen - Jokinen - Peltone
Berg - Nummelin
2nd
Bergenheim - Viuhkola - Kallio
Lehtonen - Kukkonen
3rd
Rita - Koivu - T. Ruutu
Mäntylä - Saravo
4th
J. Ruutu - Hahl - Hentunen
Luoma
G
Norrena (Bäckström)

Old
05-04-2006, 11:40 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurtur
Tomorrow at 4.15 PM CET Slovenia will play Finland at the WC . Kopitar will be playing on the 1st line . Here is the Finlands lineup:
1st
Miettinen - Jokinen - Peltone
Berg - Nummelin
2nd
Bergenheim - Viuhkola - Kallio
Lehtonen - Kukkonen
3rd
Rita - Koivu - T. Ruutu
Mäntylä - Saravo
4th
J. Ruutu - Hahl - Hentunen
Luoma
G
Norrena (Bäckström)
The updates are appreciated. Thanks!

Old
05-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Captain Ron

So if I am researching correctly that game will start at 7:15 AM PDT.

Old
05-05-2006, 09:46 AM
slovenija

Kopitar scored x2

Last edited by slovenija: 05-05-2006 at 10:24 AM.
Old
05-05-2006, 11:40 AM
jurtur

Slovenia 3 - 5 Finland
Kranjc 8 Kalio 18
Kopitar 15 Miettinen 26
Kopitar 28 Bergenheim 38
-----------Kalio 42
-----------Lehtonen 54

Great game for Kopitar , after seeing him against Finland I can say this is your young superstar of the future, forget Malkin . Now i can honestly say this guy is going straight to NHL , he is only 18 and plays like a vet , his defence and offence play was super today also superb passes , movement , phisical play , puck defending and at faceoffs . He scored 2 goals both from powerplay and spent the most time on the ice as we played more than half the match with 3 or 4 players and him being on the ice when we played with 3 or 4 against 5 . In general he was one of the best players today on the ice .

Old
05-05-2006, 12:54 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Can't forget Malkin. Love Anze, but if a deal came around for Malkin which was Kopitar and the 11th, I'd do it. But that's the most I'd put in.

05-05-2006, 04:29 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurtur
Slovenia 3 - 5 Finland
Kranjc 8 Kalio 18
Kopitar 15 Miettinen 26
Kopitar 28 Bergenheim 38
-----------Kalio 42
-----------Lehtonen 54

Great game for Kopitar , after seeing him against Finland I can say this is your young superstar of the future, forget Malkin . Now i can honestly say this guy is going straight to NHL , he is only 18 and plays like a vet , his defence and offence play was super today also superb passes , movement , phisical play , puck defending and at faceoffs . He scored 2 goals both from powerplay and spent the most time on the ice as we played more than half the match with 3 or 4 players and him being on the ice when we played with 3 or 4 against 5 . In general he was one of the best players today on the ice .
Thanks for the updates. You really think he is that good? What current NHLer would you compare him to?

Old
05-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Anze Kopitar
[IMAGE]http://live82.ihwc.net/image/teams/SLO/IHSLO12408198701.jpg[/IMAGE]
Height: 6-4
Weight: 216
Born: 8/24/1987
Position / Shot: Center / Left
Team: Sodertalje (Swedish Elite League)
Drafted: 2005 by Los Angeles 1st round (#11 overall)
Number: 27 (Sodertalje), 13 (Slovenia)

Reports
www.centralscouting.nhl.com
Quote:
Big, strong Slovenian born player who spent the 04-05 season in Sweden with Sodertalje. Good skater but could use some more first-step quickness. Excellent over all skill level. Has good size and fine tools. Excellent understanding of the game, good positional player. Has a good shot, can score in many ways. Smooth hands, effective at face offs. Good, hard working competitor with excellent attitude. Has the size but do still need muscle and strength.

Had an excellent season with Sodertälje U20 in the Swedish junior league. Also played on the league-team, first games in the Swedish league in January, on the 4th line with limited ice-time. Won scoring-title SWE Jun league, World JUN U20 Div I in Dec. World Jun U18 Div I, in April. On the Slovenian National team in February at the Olympic qualification tournament and at the World Championship. Has all the tools needed to be the first Slovenian born player in the NHL.
http://www.nhl.com/futures/2005draft...cts072905.html
Quote:
Kopitar Tops European Prospects
And now for something completely different, as Monty Python used to say.

The top European prospect for the 2005 NHL Entry Draft -- and that takes in all 18-year-olds from Sweden, Russia, the Czech Republic, Finland, Slovakia, Germany, Belarus, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine and a few other countries -- is from Slovenia! That's a first.
Anze Kopitar, 18 next month, is older than his country. Slovenia was the northwestern most part of Yugoslavia, a largely mountainous region that gained independence in 1991.

Kopitar is a 6-foot-4, 215-pound left-shooting center whose father, Matjaz, is a coach with the Slovenia national program. Anze caught the world's attention at a Slovenian tournament in January 2003, then had an excellent performance in the 2004 World Under-18 Tournament and he was even better last season when he had six goals and five assists in five games. But no one was prepared for his performance when he stepped up a level to the World Junior team and led the Group B tournament with 10 goals and three assists. He played for Slovenia in the World Championships at age 17.

Kopitar moved to Sweden to play on the Sodertalje junior team last season where he had 28 goals and 21 assists in 30 games to win the scoring title.

Not only is Kopitar likely to be the first Slovenian ever taken in the first round of the Entry Draft, some scouting services have him ranked in the Top Ten.

According to the NHL's Central Scouting Service, Kopitar is a big, strong forward who moves well for his size. He has good straight-forward speed but could improve on first-step quickness. He has an excellent overall skill level and an excellent understanding of the game. He has a good selection of shots and can score in many ways.

Kopitar has the finesse game and can get his way with his size and toughness. He's responsible defensively and is a hard worker with a good attitude. He is the first Slovenian-born world-class junior player.
International Scouting Service: http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/3833152
Quote:
Not only is the very likeable Slovenian the first ever notable prospect to emerge from that country, but according to ISS, he's also the top European player available in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.

After ISS first profiled the 17-year-old back in the fall of 2004, Kopitar quickly became the focus of European scouts and other media outlets. The Hockey News also ran the profile story and soon after Slovenia's best-kept secret was revealed for the rest of the world.

"There was a difference after that last article," admitted Kopitar to ISS recently. "A lot of scouts came to the games more often to see me so, yeah. There were always a lot of scouts at our games, just not because of me but because of guys like Nicklas Bergfors and other players."

Kopitar admits that initially the extra attention was a distraction as the new experience took some getting accustomed to.
"It was hard at the beginning because I wasn't used to it," he said from his home city of Jesenice. "Here in Slovenia, there are no scouts at all. But then I started to realize that it's not a big deal if someone is watching you, you just need to stay calm and not be nervous or feel the pressure."

Clearly Kopitar adjusted quickly and went on to have a tremendous year on several fronts, including leading his junior club team with 49 points in 30 games.

"Yeah, I'm very happy with my season," Kopitar said. "I won the junior scoring title and played the whole playoffs with the senior team in Sodertalje, so it was a great season for me. I didn't get much ice time in the playoffs, but I think it was good experience."
In international play Kopitar represented Slovenia at the World Junior Championships, scoring 10 goals and 13 points in just five games. Unquestionably his nation's only superstar, the teenager was also added to the men's team for their appearance at the World Championships in Austria where he says he enjoyed his career highlight.

"The World Championship game against Canada," the center said easily. "They're the Olympic Champions, the World Cup Champions and they're the best team in the world right now and I think it was a great experience just to play against them."

Kopitar scored once in the six games Slovenia played at the tournament and, according to one NHL executive, never looked out of place.

"He stepped into the World Championships and he certainly didn't embarrass himself," said the NHL head scout. "He was one of the best players on the ice."

The talented youngster was a popular target in Toronto recently where Kopitar met with 26 NHL organizations during their pre-draft player interviews. Unfortunately, his favorite team, the Red Wings, was one of the four clubs that passed on sitting down with him. But Kopitar says there were several organizations that made very positive impressions on him.

"Both Atlanta and Columbus were good, Dallas was actually a really fun interview and Vancouver was good," said Kopitar. "All the interviews were good though; I didn't really have a bad feeling about any of them afterwards."

Kopitar admits that playing in Columbus or Atlanta are two scenarios he would quickly embrace, as he would relish the opportunity to play with some of the NHL's top young players.
Over the course of the season Kopitar grew a bit taller and added about eight pounds to his frame, now tilting the scales at 6-foot-2 1/2 and 210 pounds, and he also addressed the concerns his critics had laid before him.

"I improved on my foot speed, my defensive play and also my offensive skills," he said. "I think the biggest part was with my defensive play and with learning to move my feet faster."
One ISS scout says that although Kopitar isn't ready to jump to the NHL yet, he's certainly got all the tools to make it big in the league.

"His skating isn't as good as (Sidney) Crosby or (Benoit) Pouliot and he has trouble turning, but when he's got the puck, from the blueline in, he's as good as any player in this draft," said the scout. "He's a big, strong kid so he rarely losses battles in the corners. I think he just needs to mature more and fill into that body. He's got big feet and that might be part of the problem with his turning."

When asked if the fact that Kopitar hails from a non-hockey nation was a deterrent, the NHL scout countered by saying, "He's coming from a country that doesn't produce a lot of hockey players, but he played in a country (Sweden) that does, and he played very well."
Kopitar isn't afraid to be a trailblazer for future hockey players back home.

"I know that hockey in Slovenia is not so big but if I go to the NHL someday, hopefully a lot of young guys will start to play and be successful just like me," said Kopitar.

Wayne Gretzky became known the world over as "The Great One" and one day soon, at least in the country of Slovenia, Anze Kopitar will proudly be anointed as "The First One".
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05209/544916.stm
Quote:
NHL Draft: Europe's best bet is Slovenian
The day might come when the world's premier downhill skier hails from Havana, its finest golfer from the shores of Prudhoe Bay in Alaska.
After all, the best European prospect in this year's NHL Entry Draft, winger Anze Kopitar, is a native of Slovenia, so just about anything is possible.
That is a most improbable pedigree -- only one player from Kopitar's country has been drafted -- but it's easy to understand why he is a popular choice to go in the top 10. When a guy is 6 feet 2 1/2, 210 pounds and has Kopitar's shot and instincts, scouts don't care much about his address.
"He's a hockey player," said Goran Stubb, NHL Central Scouting's top man in Europe. "A player. He has very good vision, a very good understanding of the game. His technical skills are very, very good. ... He's very good with the puck. He can score goals, and he can set up goals."
Kopitar spent the past winter playing junior hockey in Sweden, winning the scoring championship in the process, and represented his country in several international tournaments. He not only played for Slovenia in the under-18 and under-20 world tournaments, but also in the world championships in Austria.
He was the youngest player in that event and did nothing to make scouts who projected him as a high first-rounder to second-guess their decisions.
"He played against the U.S. and against Canada in the world championships and did well," Stubb said. "Of course, he didn't have many players [to work with]. When he passed the puck, they didn't pass it back to him."
Although Slovenia is not one of the world hockey powers -- "They don't have many hockey players," Stubb said. "They don't have many rinks." -- Kopitar grew up with the game; his father is an assistant coach with the national team.
That background aside, the consensus is that Kopitar's development has been retarded, at least slightly, by growing up in a country where there is little hockey played.
If his roots were in Sweden or Russia or Finland or the Czech Republic, Kopitar would have been able to hone his abilities against higher-caliber competition from the time he took up the game, instead of having to always compete against older players, just to have a challenge.
"I believe he'd be a better player right now if he'd been in one of those countries, for sure," Phoenix scout Willy Lindstrom said. "The hockey in Slovenia is not that great."
Neither is Kopitar's skating, which is the one concern most scouts seem to have about him. All agree his acceleration and speed must improve, but few doubt that they will.
"His skating is something you may look at and want to question," said Greg Malone, the Penguins' head scout. "But he's the type of guy who, with his work ethic, that will come, probably."
Developing hockey sense is a lot harder but, for whatever reason, that seems to have come naturally for Kopitar.
"His hockey sense and reads on the ice are very good," Malone said. "That's the thing that's most impressive about the kid. You're like, 'Wow, where did he pick this up?' "
Kopitar had good instincts long before he joined Sodertalje's junior club in Sweden for the 2004-05 season, but the rest of his game benefited from the time he spent there. Sodertalje made out OK in the deal, too, because Kopitar put up 28 goals and 21 assists in 30 games.
"He made a wise decision to play in Sweden," Stubb said. "He improved a lot."
And he should be able to get better. For even though Lindstrom already describes Kopitar as "a natural-born player" who has "good size and sees hockey like a senior guy," he won't be 18 until Aug. 24.
Blend his size and skill with a bit more experience -- and factor in Kopitar's willingness to work on his game -- and he has the potential to be an impact player for a long time.
"He's got a lot of upside, because of his size and his work ethic," Malone said. "He's a determined kid.
"The bottom line is that, down the road, this kid should be a pretty good hockey player."
Red Line Report
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...e-report_x.htm
Quote:
Anze Kopitar is the top European this year at any position. He's the first top-flight prospect ever produced by Slovenia, and quite possibly the best pure sniper in this year's crop. He's deadly from the circles in and wants the puck on his stick at crunch time. With a big-time shot and explosive, game-breaking abilities, he'll be off the board early.
Elite Prospects
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=4233
Quote:
A quite complete player. The Slovenian star prospect might not be the fastest of skaters, but he has excellent hockey sense, great size a good passing game and a lethal shot. He has proven to be a very good goal scorer, but also a gifted playmaker. Kopitar should see significant ice time in Södertälje during the 2005-06 season, which will be his first as a SEL regular.
ISS Scouting Report
http://www.internationalscouting.com/hotprospects.html
Quote:
Kopitar is a rising star with a huge upside. After his performance at the U-18 B Pool in Amstetten last year, a number of NHL European scouts are quite aware of Anze and his ability. Anze has fantastic potential, with 7 goals in just 8 games, he has size, fantastic hockey sense, a really good shot, he's good on face-offs and positioning; he's more or less a complete package. Like all teenaged players there are areas of Kopitar's game that have room for improvement.
He competes hard but he needs to get better frequency with his legs, with more strength he'll be able to get more power through every stride and if he can move his feet faster he can get in more strides in a shorter amount of time and he'll be even more difficult for opponents and he'll be able to defend better also. A very talented player.
Based on 5 scouting reports:
Game Rating B+
Overall Rating A-
Skating B+
Shooting B+
Puck Control A-
Physical Game B+
Play Away From Puck B
ISS Prospect Profile
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7373
Quote:
Slovenia might not be regarded internationally as a hockey nation, yet one of the best forwards eligible in 2005 hails from this small Balkan country. With a population of approximately two million people, Slovenia has yet to produce a notable pro player. According to International Scouting Services (ISS) Director of Scouting, Dennis MacInnis, that is all set to change with Anze Kopitar.

The 6’2 center hails from the city of Jesenice near Slovenia’s northwest border to Austria. Kopitar developed his skills in both the nation’s senior and junior leagues. In thirty junior games, Kopitar racked up 60 points and even more impressively, he played 21 games with senior club Casino Kranjska Gora and tallied 15 goals and a dozen helpers for 27 points.

ISS’s European scouts first acknowledged Kopitar as a rising star after his huge performance at the January 2003, European Youth Olympic Festival in Bled, Slovenia. Then again at the 2004 U-18 Division I World Championship, in Austria, Kopitar impressed scouts with his uncanny ability to lead, finishing third in scoring with six goals and two assists and leading Slovenia to a second place finish. The year was such a breakout for Kopitar that at one point he was even seriously considered for the men’s National team as well despite his young age.

"The head coach wanted to call me for one tournament in Slovenia because the National team in the first division had tough competition," explained Kopitar who speaks nearly flawless English. "He wanted to call me but my father said it was a little bit too early for me."

Anze’s father, Matjaz Kopitar, should know what’s best for his son; he’s an assistant coach for that same senior National team. After the success of 2003-04 Kopitar began searching for new challenges and his quest lead him to Sweden where he now skates for the Södertälje junior team. Head coach Per Nygårds is a big promoter of his import star player and, coming from a man of his position and experience, that is quite an endorsement.

"I think he’s the best junior player I’ve had and I used to coach the 19-year-old National team, and I coach the 17-year-old National team now," said the bench boss. "I think Anze has fantastic potential. He has size, fantastic hockey sense, a really good shot, he’s good on face-offs and positioning; he’s more or less a complete package."

Nevertheless there are areas of Kopitar’s game that have room for improvement. But both he and his coach are aware of what they are and they have focused on those areas during training.
"He competes hard but he needs to get better frequency with his legs," explained the coach. "With more strength, he’ll be able to get more power through every stride. And if he can move his feet faster he can get in more strides in a shorter amount of time and he’ll be even more difficult for opponents."

Because of his nationality, Kopitar has flown under the radar of many scouts who may not normally venture to his homeland in search of hockey players. Now that he is located in Sweden and playing in the same organization as fellow draft notables Nicklas Bergfors and Tom Wandell, scouts will have no choice but to see him play. Kopitar is drawing comparisons to Nik Antropov partly because he also hails from a lesser-known hockey country, but there are some who claim the Slovenian has a little Dany Heatley in him as well.

One quality Kopitar possesses that can’t be seen on the ice is his character. Miles away from his family, friends and home for the first time, Kopitar has settled into life in Sweden now after a short period of adjustment. At just 17 years of age, and just barely qualifying for draft eligibility, Kopitar dreams of one day playing in the NHL like his boyhood idol Sergei Fedorov.
"Of course I want to play NHL!" he laughed when asked the question. "I think right now he’s good on the big rink where he has a little more time and he can play; he’s quite tactical," said Nygaards.

"Anze uses his size in a positive way so I’m sure he could play very well (in North America) also. If you compare him to all the 17 year olds in the world, I’d say he’s got to be one of the top players."
Already this year Kopitar is off to a quick start scoring at better than a goal per game pace. The NHL team that can put aside any concerns because of Slovenia’s unproven track record could escape the draft with a real steal. In many ways, Kopitar could become his country’s NHL pioneer.
Sportsnet
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/colum...29_160146_4560
Quote:
There may be faster skaters in the draft, but few match speed with lightning quick moves as Kopitar does. Can handle the puck and change speeds and direction all at the same time. Dangerous every time he hits the ice and explosive with puck. Lethal scoring touch with quick release that fools goalies. Has hunger and passion for the game.

Like a shark constantly circling its prey; jumps into holes and pounces on quick-strike counterattack opportunities. Deadly on breakaways and odd-man rushes. Scored rare triple this season by playing in the World U-18, U-20 and Senior Championships.

Didn't look out of place in Austria and competed well against men. Has tendency to disappear vs. physical teams that play him tighter and rougher and don't give him extra space or time. Defense has improved, but still not NHL-caliber.

Projection: Dynamic, explosive first liner.
Style compares to: Dany Heatley
Forecaster
http://www.forecaster.ca/cbc/hockey/...raftID=10#4984
Quote:
Scouting Report: Already the best hockey player Slovenia has ever produced, Kopitar has both the size and offensive skill to develop into a franchise center; physically mature for his age, he passed his first big test playing against NHL competition at the 2005 IIHF World hockey championships; may be more of a goal-scorer than playmaker in the end, but has enough hockey sense to also rack up a fair amount of helpers; in his first season away from home, he won the scoring title in the Swedish U-20 league; also led all scorers at the 2005 World division 1 junior tournament (10 goals).

Impact: It's not surprising that the first European player slipped a little this year, due to the new CBA, but it is shocking that Kopitar fell to No. 11. He could turn out to be the second-best player in the draft (behind Crosby). He also fills a huge need for the Kings--a big, skilled center.

Old
05-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Go

Quote:
Projection: Dynamic, explosive first liner.
Style compares to: Dany Heatley
Oh my goodness.
________
weed vaporizer

Last edited by Live in the Now: 02-06-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old
05-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Osprey

Gee, Ziggy, talk about last year's news (jk, of course).
I believe I've read all of those before, but you can't read 'em enough. Thanks.

Old
05-05-2006, 09:46 PM
RightKinger

Thanks Ziggy. I had not seen all of these. 2006 - 2007 Calder winner Anze Kopitar.

Old
05-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Your welcome.
And here is another link with an interview with Kopitar from last year's World Championships.
http://live82.ihwc.net/english/artic...hwc?artId=2070

Old
05-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

In case anyone missed the press release for Anze's signing back in October...
http://www.lakings.com/2,2266.ftm?dhtml=1
Quote:
LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Kings have agreed to terms on a multi-year entry-level contract with center Anze Kopitar -- the club’s first-round selection (11th overall) in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft -- Kings Senior Vice President/General Manager Dave Taylor announced today. Per club policy, terms of the agreement were not announced.

Kopitar, 18, is expected to make his Kings debut during this week’s “Pacific Division Shootout,” a four-team rookie tournament hosted by San Jose from September 7-11.

“We are definitely very happy to have this deal done with Anze and we are looking forward to seeing him compete this week and during our training camp later this month,” said Taylor.

This past season, Kopitar collected 49 points (21-28=49) and 26 penalty minutes in 30 games with Sodertalje of the Swedish Junior League. The 6-2, 210-pound native of Jesenice, Slovenia, also finished the season with a plus/minus rating of plus-29. In addition, Kopitar appeared in five games with Sodertalje of the Swedish Men’s League (5 GP, 0-0=0, 2 PIM), represented Slovenia at the 2005 World Junior Under-18 Championships (5 GP, 6-5=11, 14 PIM) and played for Slovenia at the 2005 World Championships (6 GP, 1-0=1, 2 PIM).

Prior to the NHL Entry Draft this past July, Kopitar was rated by Central Scouting as the number one European skater, and both The Hockey News and Red Line Report ranked him as the sixth best Draft-eligible prospect. Kopitar is expected to re-join Sodertalje (Swedish Men’s League) in time for the start of their 2005-06 season.

“We are aware of Anze’s desire to play at least one more year in Europe this coming season,” said Taylor. “He has a very good development situation in Sodertalje and it is quite probable he will be assigned back to Sweden.”

Kopitar is also one of eight first-round selections scheduled to participate in the club’s 2005 training camp, which begins on Tuesday, September 13, at the Toyota Sports Center in El Segundo. Other first-round selections on the Kings training camp roster include: Jeremy Roenick (Chicago’s 8th overall selection in 1988); Alexander Frolov (Kings’ 20th overall selection in 2000); Tim Gleason (Ottawa’s 23rd overall selection in 2001); Denis Grebeshkov (Kings’ 18th overall selection in 2002); Dustin Brown (Kings’ 13th overall selection in 2003); Jeff Tambellini (Kings’ 27th overall selection in 2003); and Lauri Tukonen (Kings’ 11th overall selection in 2004).

Old
05-05-2006, 11:57 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
Your welcome.
And here is another link with an interview with Kopitar from last year's World Championships.
http://live82.ihwc.net/english/artic...hwc?artId=2070
I love this quote from him in that article:

"Kopitar: I like to play with finesse in moving the puck and waiting to create something, but if I am asked to play as a power forward or in another role, I can do that too. I can change the way I play, it does not matter. It's all a matter of the coach and what he thinks will be best for the team to win."

He sounds very coachable and willing to do anything for the team to win.

Old
05-05-2006, 11:59 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofCrunk
Oh my goodness.
Another great comparison to him that I love:

"Living up to all the hype but he is more raw than the stats would show .. an excellent stickhandler who glides through defenses with a big reach, reminiscent of Jaromir Jagr .. soft hands, crisp passes .. a natural playmaker who sees the ice very well and can run the power play with his hands and savvy .. "

That's a blurb from McKeen's back in February of 2005.

Old
05-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
I love this quote from him in that article:

"Kopitar: I like to play with finesse in moving the puck and waiting to create something, but if I am asked to play as a power forward or in another role, I can do that too. I can change the way I play, it does not matter. It's all a matter of the coach and what he thinks will be best for the team to win."

He sounds very coachable and willing to do anything for the team to win.
I really liked that quote too KP. I almost posted the same thing before I left last night. Not only does he sound coach-able, but he's multidimensional. I'm thinking Sundin is probably a good comparison.

Old
05-06-2006, 12:36 PM
ukyo

I just saw Kopitar play a full game for the first time. Wow, he is certainly impressive and it looks to me that he will be able to translate his game very easily into the NHL (unlike Boyle who I think unless he starts to play smarter will really end up being a 3rd line center).

His combination of puck possession and passing skills are particularly impressive, and his forechecking and work along the boards reminds me a lot of Frolov's in a sneaky sort of way. I'm excited to see what the two of them can do on a cycle; they'd give opposing defensemen fits.

I think people that have been comparing him to Sundin are about right when it comes to the package, but there are some differences. Kopitar doesn't seem to be quite as aggressive physically but looks like he has better passing skills and better ability to force a turnover. Of course, this is just from watching one game and a few highlight clips.

Old
05-06-2006, 12:51 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger
Thanks Ziggy. I had not seen all of these. 2006 - 2007 Calder winner Anze Kopitar.
My thoughts exactly.

Old
05-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
It'll be tough if Malkin comes over.

Old
05-06-2006, 12:58 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
It'll be tough if Malkin comes over.
Wrong.

And when AK wins, the headline will read: "They thought it would be Malkin, Anze were wrong."

Old
05-06-2006, 01:21 PM
chuckie

kopitar

did kopitar play centre or wing in the finland game, can he play wing? thanks....

Old
05-06-2006, 01:35 PM
jurtur

He played center , but i think he can also play on wing.

Closed Thread