HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryder (discuss)

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
Maybe so, but I still expect more of an all-around game from my top 2 line players. I don't care how many goals Ryder scores. Like I said unless he scores 50-60 you have to play well in at least 2 of the 3 zones.
Do you mean "well" or "adequately"? Because it seems like a pretty harsh divide to me to say a player needs to either score 50-60 goals OR play well in at least 2 of the 3 zones (which by the process of elimination means neutral and defensive).

Ryder was "adequate" in those two other zones in his rookie year, IMO.

He slipped a little bit below "adequate" this year, but... let's not forget that we're talking about a sophomore NHLer making $1M, eh? He has something to work on next year. He doesn't need to be crucified for it...

...yet. (The same play from a 10-year veteran on a $2M contract, would NOT be acceptable, but I think we really owe it to ourselves and our development program to allow a little bit of slack to a player in Ryder's position.)

Old
05-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Do you mean "well" or "adequately"? Because it seems like a pretty harsh divide to me to say a player needs to either score 50-60 goals OR play well in at least 2 of the 3 zones (which by the process of elimination means neutral and defensive).

Ryder was "adequate" in those two other zones in his rookie year, IMO.

He slipped a little bit below "adequate" this year, but... let's not forget that we're talking about a sophomore NHLer making $1M, eh? He has something to work on next year. He doesn't need to be crucified for it...

...yet. (The same play from a 10-year veteran on a $2M contract, would NOT be acceptable, but I think we really owe it to ourselves and our development program to allow a little bit of slack to a player in Ryder's position.)
Good question. I guess I mean adequate, but in Ryder's case he was so very far below adequate that adequate could be considered well for him

Seriously, I like Michael. I cheer for him as I do all the habs. BUT he has to do more. He has to work on the things he has trouble with. You're right, last year he was much better, and maybe I'm being too hard on him.

I guess I expect more from him. Let's put it this way, when I see a guy like Plekanec outplaying him and even Perezhogin outplaying him in the playoffs, I get concerned and frustrated. The OT goal was just the straw that broke the camel's back I guess. I've been watching Ryder all year and expecting more from him each and every game, and I get disappointed more and more with each game.

It's funny because my dad is a big Ryder fan and I've been trying to look on the bright side with him but I'm just so frustrated with his play.

Cap

Old
05-03-2006, 08:20 PM
jonny5

Quote:
Originally Posted by habgab
Trade him. Keep your team of underachievers and has beens and ten goal scorers and trade Ryder. Please. Let him go somewhere where he will be appreciated for his skills, not criticized for every little thing that he does.

This is not Ryder's fault. He is put into a role that he is unable to play because there is nobody else to do it. The team, as a whole, is just too weak. Ryder is a goalscorer, and a good one at that. He is a second year player, expected to be Kovalev, who himself gave the puck away on many occasions. Ryder was rated as being "hot" by ESPN for most of the year - if not for Ryder, you would be looking up at St. Louis in the standings with envy. He scored when nobody else was doing anything - when you wanted Theo's head, or Bonk's head, or Julien's head and on and on and on.

Ryder got 30 goals. He was second in points for the team in the playoffs. Where was Bonk with his $2.5 million salary? Or Zednik, with his $1.9 million. Souray, with $2.2 million, made the TSN top ten plays two or three times for standing there while other players walked around him. Dandenault gets $1.75 million? Theodore used a big part of the salary cap, and if not for him, the team would have had an easier match-up in the playoffs. His replacement, with his big salary, sat on the bench since he arrived. Even Ribeiro, for f's sake, makes more than Ryder, and he did NOTHING except give the puck away, stay on the ice for too long and miss wide open nets. As for Kovalev, great player when he wants to show up - however, most of the time we are supposed to be entertained by a whole lot of stickhandling, so much, in fact, that we now just wait for the puck to be given away.

You all expect Ryder to carry this team - because he was good in his rookie year, you expect him to be something he is not. If Ryder had other players around him, he could do what he is best able to do - find a position in the offensive zone, wait for the puck and put it in the net. And then, he would be a hero.

Look at the salaries around the league and you will see that Ryder's salary aint getting you much. Dump some of the deadwood using up the salary cap, get yourselves a few real first line players (because there are none right now) and let Ryder be a second line winger, with less pressure to perform beyond his capabilities. If you had a Sakic or a Thorton or someone like that, you would be able to appreciate a second line winger who can pop in 30 goals - as it is now, because you have NOBODY, you expect the goal scorer to be everything. And, you have not watched enough hockey to understand that it is a team sport, with each player having a role, winning AND losing as a team.

Yes, trade Ryder. I look forward to him playing many productive years in the NHL wearing another jersey. And, each time he scores a goal or comes through in a clutch, I will visit this site to remind you all of what you gave up.
Great post, agree with everything you said, especially to the fact about him playing in another jersey. Michael Ryder is not perfect, nor are any of the other Habs, especially the "Almighty Kovy", the ultimate giveaway artist. I have followed the Habs for longer than I care to remember, and I always will. But, listening to the posters here, the best thing could happen for Michael is for him to move on, go where he would be appreciated by the fans. I hope he does move on and comes back to haunt the Habs for many, many, years. I guarantee one thing, every time I talk to him over the summer I will definitely advise him not to sign with the Habs!!!
He does not deserve this Bull!!!

Old
05-04-2006, 01:01 AM
Slick Nick

Claude Julien after Zhogy had scored about 6 in about 15 games: Perezhogin is demoted from the first line because he needs to improve his defensive game.

Could we apply this to Ryder? Who is the worst forward on this team defesively?

Anyone, is there any forward worse defensively than Ryder on the current team?

As Capitano said it before, unless you score 50 goals a year like Bure or Kovalchuk (who are/were both attrocious defensively), you don't deserve the spot. Dagenais can score goals, why isin't he in the line up (other than attitude) because it's the only thing he can do.

Why is it so hard to understand this? If you score 20 but are responsable of 20 = you score none.

Ryder scored two vs the Canes, but was at least resonsable of the goal last night and the goal in game 5 or 4 (Aaron Ward) ... hum...

Should I add for my friend Montreal (Dan) who hates the +/- stat that Ryder is the lone star in +/- column with (-4).

Last edited by Slick Nick: 05-04-2006 at 01:09 AM.
Old
05-04-2006, 07:45 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick
Who is the worst forward on this team defesively?
Ribiero.

Next question?

And Julien got fired for doing stupid stuff like benching Perezhogin and Komisarek. Ironic that it was the smart move, benching Theodore for Huet, that ultimately showed him the door.

Closed Thread