HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey : expect the unexpected

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2006, 08:46 AM
ti-vite

vCash: 500
Gainey : expect the unexpected

If this is true, can we expect (lol) to see Gainey try and sign an RFA?

If so, I know the amount of picks is related to the contract value, but I don't know the new CBA terms.

What would Richards cost us?

Old
05-04-2006, 09:37 AM
MathMan

Four 1st-round picks I think.

Old
05-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Live Forever

we would be better off just trading for an RFA.

Old
05-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I honestly think that Gainey will land a true #1 Centerman Richards or Lecavalier.I hope he does and Jason Arnott is a great player but not a #1 guy and neither is Koivu

Old
05-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Azalichio

Send a message via MSN to Azalichio
Getting Richard would cost us Aebischer and probably some filler player ( Mike Ribeiro ? ) and a draft pick.

All depend on next year's salary cap and how badly they want a goaltender..

But yeah.. with this first real summer under the cap, expect the unexpected, from everyone in the league. There's going to be some real weird stuff before next year starts.

Old
05-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Qui Gon Dave

I was reading a few articles this morning and one of them (i think the online gazette, might be wrong) mentioned Gaborik as being a potential target. The article was not suggesting this as a likely target, just that the possibility may be there as apparently the Wild management doesn't like him much. Now this may be rubbish on a variety of levels but imagine if Bob pulled a trade for him, i think that would class as 'unexpected'

Old
05-04-2006, 10:33 AM
oli500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave
I was reading a few articles this morning and one of them (i think the online gazette, might be wrong) mentioned Gaborik as being a potential target. The article was not suggesting this as a likely target, just that the possibility may be there as apparently the Wild management doesn't like him much. Now this may be rubbish on a variety of levels but imagine if Bob pulled a trade for him, i think that would class as 'unexpected'

Gaborik would be nice but we need to upgrade are center position for him to be usefull.

Old
05-04-2006, 10:34 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalichio
Getting Richard would cost us Aebischer and probably some filler player ( Mike Ribeiro ? ) and a draft pick.

But yeah.. with this first real summer under the cap, expect the unexpected, from everyone in the league. There's going to be some real weird stuff before next year starts.
Getting Brad Richards would cost a hell of a lot more than Aebischer + "filler" and a draft pick. With the cap going up the Bolts may not even have to get creative to lock up Richards long term.

Old
05-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500
Gaborik would be nice but we need to upgrade are center position for him to be usefull.
That we need to upgrade our centre position, i would agree with. That we would need to for Gaborik to be useful, I don't. If by some miracle of hockey we start next season with Gaborik on our roster, stick him on a line with Koivu and Ryder and I think we would see the best of all three players.

But in regards to the true #1 centre issue, what would people be willing to give and who are the people who we would aquire (in speculation land - not particularly reality)?

Old
05-04-2006, 10:39 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:

Richards is younger and better scorer and playmaker than Saku . Would you trade Saku for this goaler and a filler ? So don't think about it for Richards .

Old
05-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Habs4Life

I heard a rumor last week from someone that know's Brad Richard's family. They said that there is a strong possibility that Richards may be heading to montreal this summer

Old
05-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Azalichio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v

Richards is younger and better scorer and playmaker than Saku . Would you trade Saku for this goaler and a filler ? So don't think about it for Richards .
Laugh all you want, as I said expect the unexpected this year. We have no idea how high the cap will be, we have no idea for how much Richard will sign, and we definately have no idea what will the offer be to the bolts if they decide to trade him.

Tampa has seen how far you can get without a goaltender, they should be desperate to get a good young one this summer. If Aebischer is the best available, they will trade for less then you think.

I've added Ribeiro just cause I don't believe he will stay and because if Tampa does trade Richard to us, they will need an offensive center to replace him. But to me, "filler" means Aebischer will be the target of the trade, the rest ( be it Ribeiro, Perezhogin, Higgins whatever ) would only be filler.

Old
05-04-2006, 10:50 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave
That we need to upgrade our centre position, i would agree with. That we would need to for Gaborik to be useful, I don't. If by some miracle of hockey we start next season with Gaborik on our roster, stick him on a line with Koivu and Ryder and I think we would see the best of all three players.

But in regards to the true #1 centre issue, what would people be willing to give and who are the people who we would aquire (in speculation land - not particularly reality)?
I think the team needs a really good forward. Whether he's a C or a winger doesn't concern me that much. I don't see it as replacing Ribs,Zed, whoever but more of improving the team. Either would help, and I wouldn't have a problem with anyone staying and seeing how they'd profit by playing with another player of Kovy or Koivu's quality. Lang,Gaborik somehow, hard to say. It's so important to get a quick read on what teams are looking to dump someone to step back and re build, identify a player who might succeed in a different system, look at Cullen . I don't think the team wants to bid for a 6M player , though I wouldn't be shocked to see them acquire a big $ guy in his last contract year.

Old
05-04-2006, 10:55 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Laugh all you want, as I said expect the unexpected this year. We have no idea how high the cap will be, we have no idea for how much Richard will sign, and we definately have no idea what will the offer be to the bolts if they decide to trade him.

Tampa has seen how far you can get without a goaltender, they should be desperate to get a good young one this summer. If Aebischer is the best available, they will trade for less then you think.

I've added Ribeiro just cause I don't believe he will stay and because if Tampa does trade Richard to us, they will need an offensive center to replace him. But to me, "filler" means Aebischer will be the target of the trade, the rest ( be it Ribeiro, Perezhogin, Higgins whatever ) would only be filler.
The thing you should consider though is other teams that could make an offer. If you were Jay Feaster,by all accounts a bright man, wouldn't you think that a player of BR's calibre would get you much more on the market ? Just consider Boston ? They could offer one of their young goalies, a solid D prospect, a high pick , that's just on eteam. The Rangers have top end goalie prospects, some quality prospects, I just don't think we are in teh mix unless we talk guys like Higgins and Emelin, Price, and are you still willing ?

Old
05-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Azalichio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
The thing you should consider though is other teams that could make an offer. If you were Jay Feaster,by all accounts a bright man, wouldn't you think that a player of BR's calibre would get you much more on the market ? Just consider Boston ? They could offer one of their young goalies, a solid D prospect, a high pick , that's just on eteam. The Rangers have top end goalie prospects, some quality prospects, I just don't think we are in teh mix unless we talk guys like Higgins and Emelin, Price, and are you still willing ?
Which is why I said we don't know what the other teams will offer and it all depend on what Feaster believe. If the Bruins offer Raycroft, can he get back to the game he displayed in his first season? How much money will Aebsicher cost next year? Because really, you don't want to trade for a superstar either or you get in the same problem you had with Richard in the first place.

And depending on what youngster he wants, yes i'm willing to talk. One of Perezhogin or Kostitsyn to me is available.

Old
05-04-2006, 11:03 AM
Gros Bill

Really unexpected : Gainey running down Ste-Catherine with his hair on fire and wearing nothing but a fur lined jockstrap. That would be soooo cool.

Old
05-04-2006, 11:03 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v

Well it all depends on if the team thinks they will lose Richards for nothing durring the next summer.

Old
05-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500

or put Kovalev at center.

???? - Kovalev - Gaborik

Old
05-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
Really unexpected : Gainey running down Ste-Catherine with his hair on fire and wearing nothing but a fur lined jockstrap. That would be soooo cool.
Except for his hair, which for a short amount of time would be quite warm.

But you are right, that falls into 'really unexpected' territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio
or put Kovalev at center.

???? - Kovalev - Gaborik
I play left wing, I'll do it. Plus im a right handed shot. And, I don't need to be much use to still rack up about 45-50 points on that line. Quick, someone give me Gaineys phone number

Old
05-04-2006, 11:08 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
Again. You remember the 78 parade incident. That's why they call him Big Bob.

Old
05-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Again. You remember the 78 parade incident. That's why they call him Big Bob.
I thought that was Guy Lapointe? and that that was why he was called "Pointu"!

Old
05-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Azalichio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
I read that it was unclear if the Cap will go up next year, I'll try to fetch the article.
Also have to remember that...

a) Richard is not the only RFA or UFA Tampa has to resigned. Sarich, Fedotenko, Afanasenkov, Cibak, Dingman, Kubina etc.

b) They DO need a goaltender, and someone better then Graham or Burke, which mean more money, again.

Old
05-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
Getting Brad Richards would cost a hell of a lot more than Aebischer + "filler" and a draft pick. With the cap going up the Bolts may not even have to get creative to lock up Richards long term.
From the Bolts perspective, they did this last year to keep St. Louis, to do it they had to sacrifice a goalie. That is why they did not do as well this year, no?

Would they do the same thing twice?

My opinion, they have three marquee big $$ forwards, they will choose two and trade the other and free up room for a goaltender.

Old
05-04-2006, 11:25 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
From the Bolts perspective, they did this last year to keep St. Louis, to do it they had to sacrifice a goalie. That is why they did not do as well this year, no?

Would they do the same thing twice?

My opinion, they have three marquee big $$ forwards, they will choose two and trade the other and free up room for a goaltender.
I can see Aebischer being dealt to Tampa Bay...he had a really good Olympics and he played well for us too in most of the games. If we can give Aebischer and others to Tampa Bay for Richards I'll freak.

I think it's unrealistic to think we can get Richards though...the guy is blue-chip.

Cap

Old
05-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
I think it's unrealistic to think we can get Richards though...the guy is blue-chip.

Cap

While I agree with you that it is not a probability...how much does it suck that we expect to never get the blue chip guys?

Why do we have to get the "Bonk's" of the world and not the "Richards"?

Closed Thread