HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers goaltending thread

Old
11-16-2005, 02:30 PM
facts

vCash: 500
Flyers goaltending thread

The official ***** thread for Flyers goaltending. Flyers goaltending should only be addressed in this thread or in the game day threads.

Fire away: Esche sucks, Frank is great, and we should trade Gagne, Pitkanen, Richards, Esche and Primeau for Luongo.

---- John Flyers Fan

Please acquire Luongo please.....it would be the best and most worthwhile move this team has made in years. Include either Esche of Nitty in the deal and a prospect package, we must have something. I can't help but worry about our goaltending every game we witness. Although it would create cap havoc but we have an opportunity to really improve this team and make a run.......with no excuses.
I suggest: Kim J
Esche
Rosie and a pick
not enough?

Last edited by John Flyers Fan: 11-28-2005 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Creating a new thread
facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2005, 02:33 PM
stazza18
HFBoards Sponsor

If I were Florida, I'd never move him. There wouldn't be enough the Flyers can give that wouldn't radically alter the team from head to toe.

stazza18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2005, 02:34 PM
Kafka

I am sure Niitty will show you tonight he can play two consecutive games.... promissing for more!

Keenan can't trade the best goaltender of the league... Milbury could, but Keenan can't... he will have to accept to give him the money he should receive.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2005, 02:43 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Picking up Luongo is only going to hurt the Flyers chance at resigning their impact players like Gagne, Johnsson, Forsberg, Knuble, Rico, and Pitkanen.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2005, 02:48 PM
greatwhite101*

I'd pick up Loungo is Florida picks up Hatcher. Thats the only way to stay under the cup... plus Flyers would have ot give up 1st rounder and Esche.

I mean what are we going to do with out Johnsson? and Rico is injured!!
Defense with out johnsson
Rathje
Hatcher
Therian
Pitkanen
Sinderberg
and some one form AHL?

greatwhite101* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2005, 03:15 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka
I am sure Niitty will show you tonight he can play two consecutive games.... promissing for more!
erm... how exactly is he going to show that?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2005, 04:20 PM
Brad*

The Flyers don't have the kind of assets to get Luongo without hurting their team.

Brad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2005, 04:30 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
We would have to start with Pitkanen , Carter , or Richards , a goalie and more.

I would love to get Luongo, but there is no way I would part with what it would take, so no point even discussing it.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2005, 05:31 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
maybe something like esche +hatcher +4th for luongo +van ryn.

probably wont happen. but sending hatcher over would be one of the only ways to keep the salary around the same. im not sure of van ryns contract but id say its a lot less than hjatchers

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2005, 05:49 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Luongo would be nice ... but I just can't see it being beneficial to the Flyers to lose a lot of young talent in the trade AND more to the fact they we will have a lot of money tied up in him.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2005, 06:41 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovercraft
maybe something like esche +hatcher +4th for luongo +van ryn.

probably wont happen. but sending hatcher over would be one of the only ways to keep the salary around the same. im not sure of van ryns contract but id say its a lot less than hjatchers
maybe if we throw in another draft pick we can get Jokinnen as well, one of the most unrealistic proposals ever.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2005, 10:30 PM
daynus

wow. lets look at it this way Florida has what a lot of people will say is the Best goalie in the league. but the rest of there team is not good. and if we were to make a trade to get him, we would have a similar team as florida, the best goalie and not much else. our cupboard would be fairly bare.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2005, 06:07 AM
peteo

Robert Luongo

Makes 3,200,000 and will not be in Florida next year.It is such a contrast in talent.
Btw Flyers & Florida. Somebody has to get him.And I think the Flyers will make a
an offer.

peteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2005, 07:06 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
because it would cost us so much, i wouldnt want luongo

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2005, 07:22 AM
Philly Flyer Fan*

no kidding

c'mon man....I can gaurentee that every team in the league wants Luongo. He is the best young goalie in the game today. Your not gonna get him nothing!!!

Cheers!

Philly Flyer Fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2005, 07:40 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka

Keenan can't trade the best goaltender of the league... Milbury could, but Keenan can't... he will have to accept to give him the money he should receive.
Didn't Loungo and Keenan come to an impass regarding his contract...In all honesty I can not see Loungo satying with Florida. So I think Keenan would rather move him then eventually lose him to Free agency.

Coburnfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2005, 10:03 AM
greatwhite101*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
Didn't Loungo and Keenan come to an impass regarding his contract...In all honesty I can not see Loungo satying with Florida. So I think Keenan would rather move him then eventually lose him to Free agency.
Downie, Umberger, Esche, Hatcher and Flyers 1nd rounder in 2006.
Would be a good trade to me.

For Luongo and Gratton (to cut their salary with waist of Space gratton)

greatwhite101* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2005, 10:21 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhite101
Downie, Umberger, Esche, Hatcher and Flyers 1nd rounder in 2006.
Would be a good trade to me.

For Luongo and Gratton (to cut their salary with waist of Space gratton)

Again, to get the best young goalie in the NHL, we will have to part with one of our best young players, ie. Pits, Gags, Carter, Or Richie, which i would not do.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2005, 10:58 AM
CarlRacki

While they're at it, the Flyers should also acquire Crosby (maybe for Sharp, Ruzicka and a pick) and Ovechkin (for Seidenberg and Downie).

Seriously though, when trades happen it's because both teams want to make a trade. Right now there's no reason to believe Florida has any interest in dealing Luongo. Even if they did, they're going to expect a heckuva lot more than the Flyers would be willing to give.

Last edited by CarlRacki: 11-17-2005 at 11:09 AM.
CarlRacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2005, 11:13 AM
boredmale

If Philly wants Luongo it would have to be something like

Carter, Esche, 1st Rounder for Loungo.

If you want goaltending your probably better off waiting till trade dealine and going for Kolzig.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Philly is probably one of the few teams with the quality young forward depth to land Luongo, but the price would be astronomical.

Figure Keenan would probably be after any three of Pitkanen, Carter, Gagne, Richards. Is that price worth the best young goalie in the league? Yeah, probably, but it doesn't make sense for Philly to give up all that talent.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2005, 01:54 PM
clumsysnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
Philly is probably one of the few teams with the quality young forward depth to land Luongo, but the price would be astronomical.

Figure Keenan would probably be after any three of Pitkanen, Carter, Gagne, Richards. Is that price worth the best young goalie in the league? Yeah, probably, but it doesn't make sense for Philly to give up all that talent.
I feel like people are overstating Luongo's trade value!

Just make this one not-so-unlikely assumption: Luongo will leave because Florida sucks, thus Keenan will trade him to get something in return...

..And all we have to give is as much as other teams will. No team would give up players equivalent to Pitk, Richards, and Gagne to get Luongo, thus we don't have to. Keenan's hand is being forced more than ours so we don't have to chase his price, just market price.

To me, market price is something like a forward + defenseman + goalie + picks/throw-ins to even out value and cap room...carter/richards/handzus, hatcher and esche/nitty?..then trade nitty/esche in a package to replace hatcher and we're looking pretty solid with enough cap room for gagne + luongo next year.

I do agree that someone young and good will have to be traded, that goes without saying. But no non-rebuilding team willingly gives up their core players to get other core players, and if/when Luongo gets traded that will still be the case, even if he's not traded to the Flyers!

IMO, the key to making good trades is being able to walk away when your trading partner is not able to. That's how Ottawa scored Heatley, for instance....

Its quite possible that the initial assumption is wrong, and that Luongo is going to stay or that Keenan is just going to let him go to FA, or that he's not going to trade him til next year, but its atleast plausible.

clumsysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by clumsysnake
I feel like people are overstating Luongo's trade value!

Just make this one not-so-unlikely assumption: Luongo will leave because Florida sucks, thus Keenan will trade him to get something in return...

..And all we have to give is as much as other teams will. No team would give up players equivalent to Pitk, Richards, and Gagne to get Luongo, thus we don't have to. Keenan's hand is being forced more than ours so we don't have to chase his price, just market price.

To me, market price is something like a forward + defenseman + goalie + picks/throw-ins to even out value and cap room...carter/richards/handzus, hatcher and esche/nitty?..then trade nitty/esche in a package to replace hatcher and we're looking pretty solid with enough cap room for gagne + luongo next year.

I do agree that someone young and good will have to be traded, that goes without saying. But no non-rebuilding team willingly gives up their core players to get other core players, and if/when Luongo gets traded that will still be the case, even if he's not traded to the Flyers!

IMO, the key to making good trades is being able to walk away when your trading partner is not able to. That's how Ottawa scored Heatley, for instance....

Its quite possible that the initial assumption is wrong, and that Luongo is going to stay or that Keenan is just going to let him go to FA, or that he's not going to trade him til next year, but its atleast plausible.
i'm pretty sure Luongo will be a RFA for whoever gets him... meaning they will be the only team able to negotiate with him and thus in the driver seat to lock him up long term.

his trade value is VERY high.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588

I very astute poster here. Florida may not ask for any 3 of them but 2 of them and Esche at the very least. My guess is Carter and Pitkanen would be the preference along with Esche. If Philly need to clear cap space too, I'm sure something additionally could be added to both sides (Primeau for Stumpel...saves the Flyers $2 mil about).

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2005, 02:27 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn
I very astute poster here. Florida may not ask for any 3 of them but 2 of them and Esche at the very least. My guess is Carter and Pitkanen would be the preference along with Esche. If Philly need to clear cap space too, I'm sure something additionally could be added to both sides (Primeau for Stumpel...saves the Flyers $2 mil about).
I wouldn't trade Pitkanen straight up for him. In fact, outside of maybe Ovechkin and Crosby, i'm not sure i'd trade Pitkanen straight up for anyone in the league when factoring age, salary, upside, and current level of play.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote