HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lets Assume Pittsburgh Is Willing To Trade The 2nd Overall Pick...

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2006, 03:19 PM
MM425

vCash: 500
Lets Assume Pittsburgh Is Willing To Trade The 2nd Overall Pick...

Would you like to see the Habs trade some of their dead weight and possibly nab Eric Johnson/Phill Kessel/Jordan Stall?

I think this would be fair:

Montreal's 1st Rounder, Michael Ryder, Craig Rivet for the 2nd overall pick.

Ryder, while he is a 30 goal scorer, is completely 1 dimensional and his spot can be taken by Latandresse in the near future anyways. He would no doubt be great with Crosby or Malkin setting him up, but I think he's reached his peak in the NHL, and he'll eventually begin to be exposed. Rivet, is a soild, vetran defenceman that would give stability and leadership to the Pens. They also still get a 1st rounder.

The Habs get even younger and better with the addition of a future superstar (ideally Eric Johnson).

Thoughts?

Old
05-03-2006, 03:21 PM
HF-Addict

big overpayment imo.

Old
Phousse

Nah.

Old
Biggsy

I couldnt see Pens giving up 2nd spot in the draft to possibly get Johnson someone they need in the line up

Old
05-03-2006, 03:22 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Let's assume you never made this thread.

Old
05-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Top-end 1st picks cost too much in a trade to make it a realistic scenario. The only way really to get one is if you have a top-5 yourself and are willing to juggle spots a bit, while both teams still get who they wanted. Or you trade for a pick a couple years down the road, not knowing that the team you got the pick from was going to implode and end up with the #1 pick.

So your offer, as much as it hurts us, would still be nowhere near enough. What do the Pens get out of it? They can sign a Rivet-like defenseman any time they want to on the UFA market. They have Ouellet, what does Ryder bring them over him? It's essentially nothing for them.

Old
05-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I think Gainey should go after a top 10 pick like the 7th or 8th is good enough if only Frolik is still there.the kid will be a superstar and hes loosing points right now but its time too make that move in my opinion.

Old
05-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life
I think Gainey should go after a top 10 pick like the 7th or 8th is good enough if only Frolik is still there.the kid will be a superstar and hes loosing points right now but its time too make that move in my opinion.
Surely I'm wrong but I would be tempted to talk with Gretzky in order to see if his spot is available since he could need a goalie (the fact that Joseph is not getting any younger or the fact that the Leafs may be tempted to have him) Aebisher could be interesting for them....

Old
05-03-2006, 03:50 PM
oli500

oh my give ryder a chance to play with crosby????Guaranty this trade would come back and bite us in the ***

Old
05-03-2006, 03:57 PM
TheAnalogKid

Too much to give up, just so Gainey can draft another goalie...

Old
05-03-2006, 03:58 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Ryder isn't the greatest hockey player but god, he would score 60 goals with Crosby. It would be Thornton/Cheechoo #2.

Old
05-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Live Forever

Why do you consider Rivet and Ryder dead weight to being with ????

Old
05-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Adriatic

Are you insane to trade Rivet. You know how hard it is to find a big defenceman that's physical with good skating ability who gives 100% every shift. Teams would die to have a Rivet on their team and you consider him dead weight..I don't get it!

Old
05-03-2006, 08:07 PM
kostybros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Boy
Are you insane to trade Rivet. You know how hard it is to find a big defenceman that's physical with good skating ability who gives 100% every shift. Teams would die to have a Rivet on their team and you consider him dead weight..I don't get it!
A 2nd pick overall is worth a lot more than what you guys think. a second pick means you can get a player like dany heatley, malkin, STALL etc.
A player like RIvet doesn't have any value on a trade, he's ok but still a 5th or 6 th defense, ryder is a average 2nd liner.
so forget having the 2nd spot because we would have to overpay.
for those who wouldn't to give up ryder and rivet for a franchise player are just stupid
realistic price for a second spot would have to involve higgins or another top prospect that we want to keep.

Old
05-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezhogy
A 2nd pick overall is worth a lot more than what you guys think. a second pick means you can get a player like dany heatley, malkin, STALL etc.
A player like RIvet doesn't have any value on a trade, he's ok but still a 5th or 6 th defense, ryder is a average 2nd liner.
for those who wouldn't to give up ryder and rivet for a franchise player are just stupid
realistic price for a second spot would have to involve higgins or another top prospect that we want to keep.
I could be wrong... But I believe this year's draft class is considered a bit weak...(but it could be in comparison to last year's phenomanal one)...

If it's weak... I'd rather just go w/ the # 16...

Old
05-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:

And who knows if you're going to end up with a Berg, Kilger, Svitov, Zyuzin, or Brendl. We are becoming such a great team right now, why tear a couple big peices of that [our steadiest defenseman and only 30 goals scorer] apart on the OFF chance we may end up with a Horton in the future. The reward is there, but the risk is there andis established whether or not we win the trade in the future

Old
05-03-2006, 08:15 PM
henri2014

If we sign Huet before the draft its completly useless to have Danis Aebi and Huet in montreal...

Having a chance to draft higher is worth to take a gamble and wish that huet stays healthy...

I would love to trade with Phoenix and get their 8th overall pick...

A number one goalie to move up 8 spot is a bit of an overpayment but if we can make a package of draft picks(our 2nd and 3rd) and aebi to get their 1st draft pick and keep our first...

Old
05-03-2006, 09:07 PM
5 man unit

Quote:
I think you'd be very surprised to find out Rivet's worth.

Old
05-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Archijerej

Seeing Ryder in this proposal makes me think that some people here seem to not understand one thing: Getting rid of a player, no matter how big the flaws in his game are, DOES NOT make your team better. I don't like Ribeiro, I'm dissapointed with Ryder's progression this season but it's obvious to me that unless we can aquire better players there's no reason to get rid of them. And most likely we CAN'T aqiure better players. I don't see any UFA that would radicaly make us better at center (I agree with Mike8, Arnott is another Habs fans puppy, just like Aucoin was) I don't see us having assets to make a big trade. Sure, you can think that we'll be able to replace them from within: Plekanec, Kostsitsyn...But I'm not so sure about that. So again, how that trade makes us a better team?

Old
05-03-2006, 09:47 PM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
I could be wrong... But I believe this year's draft class is considered a bit weak...(but it could be in comparison to last year's phenomanal one)...

It's very weak outside the top 10 I believe. Getting into the top 5 in this year's draft if your outside the top 10 is going to require too much for nearly anyone to move up. Best bet is to keep the picks and hope to pick out a gem.

Old
05-03-2006, 11:45 PM
joe6pack

Would you trade Ryder for Nathan Horton?

Old
05-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Mtl6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack
Would you like to see the Habs trade some of their dead weight and possibly nab Eric Johnson/Phill Kessel/Jordan Stall?

I think this would be fair:

Montreal's 1st Rounder, Michael Ryder, Craig Rivet for the 2nd overall pick.

Ryder, while he is a 30 goal scorer, is completely 1 dimensional and his spot can be taken by Latandresse in the near future anyways. He would no doubt be great with Crosby or Malkin setting him up, but I think he's reached his peak in the NHL, and he'll eventually begin to be exposed. Rivet, is a soild, vetran defenceman that would give stability and leadership to the Pens. They also still get a 1st rounder.

The Habs get even younger and better with the addition of a future superstar (ideally Eric Johnson).

Thoughts?
Go ahead!
But that will never happen, and we all know it!

Old
05-04-2006, 01:03 AM
NORiculous

vCash: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1

I don't think its weak, but its not deep.

Old
05-04-2006, 02:00 AM
Form and Substance

For every guy like Heatley, you get a Zyuzin.

Old
05-04-2006, 02:08 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe6pack
Would you trade Ryder for Nathan Horton?
Yes, in a second.

Closed Thread