HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

How would you rebuild the Blackhawks?

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2006, 11:54 PM
hockydude5000

vCash: 500
How would you rebuild the Blackhawks?

This team has been the laughingstock of the league for a long time. They can't seem to get better each year, and really needs a makeover. what would you do if you were the Hawks GM? The team is lacking veteran leadership and depth on forwards. The good thing is that the defensive core has a great future ahead, with Seabrook and Barker (as well as a few others). Give me a two to four year plan on how to get the Hawks on track.

I'll give you the first step: firing Wirtz and getting a more competent owner and GM. The GM is you.

Start!

Old
04-30-2006, 01:19 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Suck for another year or two, get some high picks, bring in a goon to protect our guys, and a few top six forwards through UFA or take on some overpaid players that are struggling (Morrison, Mogilny) to play with Ruutu. Dump Cullimore, Brown, Barnaby, and play the kids. Keep Lapointe's bad contract and keep him with an A I guess.

? ? Ruutu
Calder Bell Vrbata
Bourque Sharp Lapointe
Goon Vet PK man Keith/Bochenski

Aucoin - Seabrook
Keith - Barker
Vandermeer - Byfuglien

Khabby
Anderson

Not too good, but we throw all of our **** against the wall and see what sticks. Bolland & co. get call ups depending on who deserves it.

Old
04-30-2006, 01:49 AM
ATG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockydude5000
This team has been the laughingstock of the league for a long time. They can't seem to get better each year, and really needs a makeover. what would you do if you were the Hawks GM? The team is lacking veteran leadership and depth on forwards. The good thing is that the defensive core has a great future ahead, with Seabrook and Barker (as well as a few others). Give me a two to four year plan on how to get the Hawks on track.

I'll give you the first step: firing Wirtz and getting a more competent owner and GM. The GM is you.

Start!
I agree with the first step, second step would have been to hire a Dean Lombardi as Gm but that ship has sailed, maybe go after someone like Tambelleni

Old
04-30-2006, 02:35 AM
Transported Upstater

Step One: Get a new Owner.

Step Two: Build.

Step Three: Stanley Cup.

Old
04-30-2006, 03:36 AM
Kardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransportedUpstater
Step One: Get a new Owner.

Step Two: Build.

Step Three: Stanley Cup.

pretty much sums it up, geting a new owner is a must get some fans into those seats get some hype around the team.. once you have the fans support start young already have a good core group of kids just build on that, and trade ruutu hes a china doll with great skills and im sure he can land something big/decent

Old
04-30-2006, 03:40 AM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardi
pretty much sums it up, geting a new owner is a must get some fans into those seats get some hype around the team.. once you have the fans support start young already have a good core group of kids just build on that, and trade ruutu hes a china doll with great skills and im sure he can land something big/decent

Seriously, Ruutu is useless.

Trade him to some dumpster like Toronto (even the mention of that godforsaken NHL wasteland sickens me) for a quality physical presence on the blueline by the name of Belak.

Old
04-30-2006, 10:22 AM
Prussian_Blue

Poisoning Dollar Bill Wirtz' vodka supply so the grasping, miserly old fraud clutches his chest and keels over dead would be an absolutely essential first step... he is solely responsible for the ruin of what was once a great, great hockey franchise.

Step Two: Affiliate with the Chicago Wolves, and have a secondary affiliation with the new Chicago Hounds (UHL) out in Hoffman Estates. The Hounds are run by ex-Hawk goalie Darren Pang, so you keep the Hawk connection and tradition. Having your entire system within a short Metra ride of the Loop would go a long way towards building Hawk brand loyalty back up in Chicagoland.

Step Three: Put Pulford out to pasture along with his sugar daddy Wirtz.

Dale Tallon is a goof, but I have to give credit where credit is due -- he had a very good draft in 2005 as GM, and the Hawks' system has quite a few decent prospects up-and-coming: Skille, Blunden, Brophey, Fallon, Bolland, Bickell, Hromas, and all those defensemen.

The rebuild is pretty much already under way. The team itself will probably blow chunks for another couple of years, but as those kids work their way into the lineup, things will improve.

As demonstrated in the last off-season, going nuts with big-money free-agent signings isn't the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransportedUpstater
Seriously, Ruutu is useless.

Trade him to some dumpster like Toronto (even the mention of that godforsaken NHL wasteland sickens me) for a quality physical presence on the blueline by the name of Belak.
This is a joke, right?

You want Ruutu gone, you can send him down I-55 for a quality physical presence by the name of Bryce Salvador; we'll even throw in Trevor Byrne...

P_B

Bring back that rivalry -- I really miss it!

Old
05-01-2006, 01:32 PM
fullmetalninja

The hawk near term future isn't nearly as dire as you folks make it out to be, and the long term future looks quite bright.

Short term, the hawks need to add 2 first line players to be competitive immediately. That isn't likely to happen- although I expect them to get 1 this offseason and with some luck compete for a lower playoff spot.

Long term, the potential in the hawks system is there. Khabibulin will only play better than he did this season (his worst ever), Aucoin and perhaps Cullimore will come back healthy. Seabrook, Keith, Vandermeer will have all have a year under their belt and Barker will compete with Kukkonen for the #6 spot IMO.

That leaves as depth: Byfuglien, Wisniewski, Richmond, and Barinka.

Up front, there is no question that we have some short term problems. Particularly we don't have anyone that "carries players". How important is that? Did anyone think Cheechoo was *this good* prior to Joe Thornton coming over?

I mean other than a guy who thought he kicked *** on Xbox... did anyone think he was a better goal scorer than Kovalchuk? Or Hossa? Or Nash?

The hawks biggest problem is not having "that guy". Could Ruutu mature into "that guy"? I don't know, and I have my doubts.

So what am I saying? I'm saying that this team has the potential of turning things around very quickly- if they can add something up front. The depth is there, the support players are there.

The bigger question is how do we get that guy who is better than everyone else we currently have offensively. If the answer is through the draft... then we are stuck waiting on that player. If the answer is via trade or Free Agency- I'd expect this ship to turn pretty quickly.

-fullmetalninja

Old
05-01-2006, 01:39 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Step #1: Get Ruutu healthy and get him some high quality wingers!

Old
05-01-2006, 01:49 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalninja
Could Ruutu mature into "that guy"? I don't know, and I have my doubts.
I personally think he could be 'that guy' as long as he stays healthy. I love this guy's game. He totally reminds me of a young Forsberg.

Definitely need to get him a decent scoring threat to compliment his line though.

Old
05-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
get ruutu healthy is a must, this team will not succeed without him.

They need to continue to be strong. Fill out the defense. This summer, Cam Barker needs to emerge, train hard and fill out ther defense.

Nik between the pipes will be solid next year, ill give him the 1 bad year, it happens.

On the blueline, Seabrook needs to NOT have sophmore slumps and continue to emerge as one of the better young defensemen in the league. Aucoin needs to be healthy, Keith needs to continue as well getting better, cullimore and vandermeer will be good defensemen, but this team needs another bigger named defensemen with some skill who can play 2-4th defensemen minutes, im not talking a huge name, but a good solid name....

Upfront, they need to continue to draft smart. If Backstrom is there, they need to take this kid and run far away. They dont need a typical draft pick here, a safe pick, they need to take a stud. Ruutu, Bell, Bochenski, Calder, lapointe and add 1 more top 6 player and i think they could become somewhat threats with some more development.

thats what i would do. oooOo, and probably either remove the log from Wirtz *** or get a new owner because this guy seams to love killing this franchise

Old
05-01-2006, 01:58 PM
MiZZZike*

Send a message via AIM to MiZZZike* Send a message via MSN to MiZZZike*
Blackhawks worth keeping:
Matthew Barnaby
Mark Bell
Curtis Brown
Kyle Calder
Tuomo Ruutu
Brent Seabrook
Rene Bourque
Patrick Sharp
Duncan Keith

Players that might be worth keeping:
Martin Lapointe - Too high of a salary
Eric Daze
Adrian Aucoin

Bring up for good:
Cam Barker
James Wisniewski
Brandon Bochenski

Dump ASAP:
Nikolai Khabibulin

Sign:
Sean Avery
Jeremy Roenick

Lines would look like:
Ruutu - Roenick - UFA
Calder - Bell - Bochenski
Bourque - Sharp - Lapointe/UFA
Brown - Avery - Barnaby

Seabrook - Aucoin
Barker - UFA
Wisniewski - Keith

UFA Goaler
UFA Goaler or young guy

Old
05-01-2006, 02:00 PM
joepeps

Step 1...

GM and Coach B. Sutter

step 2 and 3 will fall into place

Old
05-01-2006, 02:15 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I would first... acquire a veteran with leadership skills, good ones.

then i would keep the exact same defensive core as now and insulate Nikolai Khabibulin. With maybe the exception of Cullimore.

Get a new coach and GM, the GM try and get Brent Sutter to be both and TRY hard... perhaps try and get Brian Sutter in with him. lol.

Try and get a good assistant coach/ coach that is patient with talent.. maybe try and get Claude Julien as your farm team coach or somewhere in the organization.

Ruutu needs to stay healthy... and i suggest signing Jarko Ruutu as well as promote Mark Bell as an assistant Captain and give him some identity in the organization. Let everything else take off on its own, much like the Buffalo Sabres.

Old
05-01-2006, 03:12 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

well...first determine whats the core and build around it:

FW: Ruutu, Calder, Bell
D: Seasbrook, Keith, Barker

Looking at the Hawks lineup, one glaring weakness is the lack of top 6 strength up the middle...they're top centers were Arnason, Brown and bell (but wasnt he converted)...Arnason's gone, Brown's a great 3rd liner, and Bell may not be able to carry the load of top Center...so that need seems pressing...that could potentially be the biggest immediate boost Ruutu can get

Old
05-01-2006, 04:31 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

go (stay) young
young quick teams are the way to go with the new rules

seeing the hawks discard alot of their prospects like yakubov is not hopeful

Old
05-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Douggy

Didn't the Hawks have something like 5 rookie defensemen playing by the end of this year?

I think as those guys get better the team will improve, provided that Khabibulin doesn't suck as bad as he did this year.

Old
05-01-2006, 04:47 PM
illogic

Step One: New owner

Step Two: ?

Step Three: Profit!

Old
05-01-2006, 05:09 PM
CODevilsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by illogic
Step One: New owner

Step Two: ?

Step Three: Profit!

the ownership gnomes

Old
05-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Gardebut30

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
seeing the hawks discard alot of their prospects like yakubov is not hopeful
Yakubov is not missed. He wasn't even a solid contributor in the AHL.

Old
05-01-2006, 07:52 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Exactly. If anything, it was a good sign to see him moved. He didn't make ONE play, pass, check, ANYTHING that showed us he was worth keeping.

Old
05-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Osstrayan
#murderskate

Send a message via AIM to Osstrayan Send a message via MSN to Osstrayan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue
Step Two: Affiliate with the Chicago Wolves, and have a secondary affiliation with the new Chicago Hounds (UHL) out in Hoffman Estates. The Hounds are run by ex-Hawk goalie Darren Pang, so you keep the Hawk connection and tradition. Having your entire system within a short Metra ride of the Loop would go a long way towards building Hawk brand loyalty back up in Chicagoland.

This is a great idea. By doing this you truly make the Hawks Chicago's team from the ground up. With the double coverage of hakws/wolves even the casual fan gains more of an understanding or the entire organization. In addition, this probably helps the revenue of both clubs, cause it gives the hawks fans a chance to go watch some of their prospects play when the big team is not in town and vice versa. Philly seems to have been able to adapt to this setup very well, I would love to see it here.

As far as personnel, they need to keep on keeping on, IMO. The single most important thing they need to do is to not search for a quick fix. To go out and make a huge splash in the ufa market this summer would simply make their predicament even worse. They should def. look at a top 6 foward, but they don't want to get tied up in long, expensive contracts because in a year or two their young players (Bolland, Blunden etc) will be ready for the big club.

TBH, the free agent market for wingers this summer does not really excite me, and I have a feeling Elias may well re-sign with Jersey. Let's say the Hawks take a run at Samsonov, and (if rumors are true) ship Bell out for a top-6 guy and some prospects. For argument's sake, let's say that is Richards (I took his name from the front page of this thread). Now that top 6 is starting to take some kind of shape. Re-sign Cullen to take the place of Bell as the second line center (hell, even let Bolland play there if he has a good camp). Fowards look like this:

Samsonov-Richards-Rutuu
Calder-Cullen-Vrbata
Bourque-Sharp-Lapointe
scraps.....

The d is pretty easy, assuming Aucoin comes back, let the youngsters try to fight it out for spots. Maybe move Cullimore for a bag of pucks and bring in an experienced, relatively cheap D (a guy like Mitchell maybe?). Sign as established backup for Khabi, so the merry-go-round doesn't occur again.

Have a goal next season of being a playoff calibre team (a fair ask) and then address any weaknesses in the 2007 close season, bring up a few of thsoe prospects from Norfolk, and you have yourself a pretty legitimate contender for 07/08

Old
05-03-2006, 03:05 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Mitchell won't go cheap, Samsonov won't sign here, it'd take an awful lot to land Richards, and Cullen as a second line center is a recipe for disaster.

Old
05-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Osstrayan
#murderskate

Send a message via AIM to Osstrayan Send a message via MSN to Osstrayan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan
Mitchell won't go cheap, Samsonov won't sign here, it'd take an awful lot to land Richards, and Cullen as a second line center is a recipe for disaster.
Mitchell was the first name that came to my head....pick any d-man on the ufa market with some experience and a 1 mil price tag, or just keep cullimore, either way. I'm aware it would take an awful lot to land richards, and as i said in my post, i used his name for argument's sake and took it from the "trade bell" thread where people seemed to think it wouldn't take as much as we thought to get him. I could use Bertuzzi's name for the same purpose if it would make you feel better....

I realize that Samsonov probably wouldn't sign with the hawks, but i threw his name out there because I honestly don't think there are too many great wingers available this year.Cullen is maybe a bad choice as the second line, but wasn't he playing somewhat decent towards the end of the season. The point is, through free agency and trading Bell (if that even occurs) you can probably fill 5 of the top 6 slots. If you keep Bell it's the same thing. The 6th slot will probably have to be taken care of in-house, due to the lack of available quality and budget concerns.

Closed Thread