HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

This Comment by Carolina Coach

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2006, 12:44 AM
Westcoasthabsfan

vCash: 500
This Comment by Carolina Coach

This comment by Laviolette just made me laugh..... I am sure Peter you wanted to lose the first two games at home....Give me a break...go ahead and spot NJ the first two and see what happens...you wont get let off the hook this time....

"This series was exactly what we wanted and maybe being down 2-0 was exactly what we needed," said Laviolette."

Old
05-03-2006, 12:45 AM
ShuttFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan
This comment by Laviolette just made me laugh..... I am sure Peter you wanted to lose the first two games at home....Give me a break...go ahead and spot NJ the first two and see what happens...you wont get let off the hook this time....

"This series was exactly what we wanted and maybe being down 2-0 was exactly what we needed," said Laviolette."
Overconfidence works well in a coach. Go Sabres!

Old
05-03-2006, 12:46 AM
Form and Substance

They're playing New Jersey. Anybody think it strange that all the top teams in the East made it whereas all the top teams in the West are out (if Calgary loses of course)?

Old
05-03-2006, 12:48 AM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttFan
Overconfidence works well in a coach. Go Sabres!

They are playing NJ not Buffalo

Old
05-03-2006, 12:48 AM
Montrealer

Quote:

I mean, I guess in a way I understand how he's happy his team showed character in coming back, but it sure wasn't the same Canes team we saw in the regular season... one bounce here and another there and Montreal would be the one clinching tonight.

I'd say he won't be so happy being down 2-0 against the Devils, if it comes to that. It might not; the Devils can't keep winning forever... but I don't see it going past 6 games.

Old
05-03-2006, 12:56 AM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer
I mean, I guess in a way I understand how he's happy his team showed character in coming back, but it sure wasn't the same Canes team we saw in the regular season... one bounce here and another there and Montreal would be the one clinching tonight.

I'd say he won't be so happy being down 2-0 against the Devils, if it comes to that. It might not; the Devils can't keep winning forever... but I don't see it going past 6 games.

NJ is a much better all around team than Montreal (i.e. they have guys that can put the puck in the net) and they will make short work of the Canes..... NJ versus Ottawa will be a great series too

Old
05-03-2006, 01:18 AM
digitalmonkey*

I don't think he's implying that they planned to be down by two games. He's saying that sometimes a team needs to face a challenge in order to rise to the challenge and play to their potential.

Old
05-03-2006, 02:57 AM
Ryan O'Byrne

vCash: 0
Quote:
they will make short work of the Canes..... NJ versus Ottawa will be a great series too
Are you sure? Maybe Williams will knock out NJ's best player's one by one without getting a penalty

Old
05-03-2006, 08:12 AM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan O'Byrne
Are you sure? Maybe Williams will knock out NJ's best player's one by one without getting a penalty

LOL

Old
05-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Scotianhab

Quote:
LoL

Old
05-03-2006, 09:37 AM
Matrix

Quote:

You know it had to mean that it was the right kick in the butt to wake his team up since they thought it would be easy..... And you know that with the kind of performances they offered, it's a nice build up for the confidence, as much for the team than it is for Ward.

Having said that, they're going down so hard against Jersey...

Old
05-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Eeyore

Quote:
Actually, I am surprised the Rangers didn't do something like this, given that New Jersey really only has one great scoring line. Their scorers are also short, so that Carolina fans can say again, with the bad camera angles of their coverage, that players are just falling into Williams' stick.

Old
05-03-2006, 09:41 AM
AH

Laviolette also mentioned that losing Koivu was the same as them losing Cole. Well, ******* you dufus, we didn't have the luxury of a trade deadline to go out and replace Koivu with a Recchi and Weight.

Nice revisionist history. I have no qualms with the Canes as a team, but I have ALWAYS hates Laviolette going back to his Islander days.

Old
05-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:

He never said he WANTED to loose the first two games. All hes saying is maybe that helped them get going.

Old
05-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH
Laviolette also mentioned that losing Koivu was the same as them losing Cole. Well, ******* you dufus, we didn't have the luxury of a trade deadline to go out and replace Koivu with a Recchi and Weight.

Nice revisionist history. I have no qualms with the Canes as a team, but I have ALWAYS hates Laviolette going back to his Islander days.
So that's a real stupid thing to say. They had time to adjust, we didn't.....Same thing???

THEY'RE GOING DOWN!!!! Go Martin Go!

Old
05-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Shabutie

If they play the way they did against us, I don't see them having a chance.

Old
05-03-2006, 10:13 AM
MathMan

I've read in many, many places that Carolina had a much better team than Montreal and that's why they won in the end...

Maybe that is true, but that Carolina team had better show up against Jersey, because the Hurricanes did not look like the vastly better team against Montreal -- despite the Habs' top center being hurt. They were outplayed in game 3 and 6 at least and had to be bailed by their goaltender.

Or maybe credit to the Habs for giving it their all.

Nevertheless, New Jersey is a better team than Montreal (especially Montreal minus Koivu!), their confidence is at a maximum, and they will be well-rested. Carolina had better improve in a hurry or they'll be headed to the slaughter.

Carolina looks stacked on paper, but Weight and Recchi still have to fit in and haven't been effective. And their defenseman corps remains an issue, IMHO.

Old
05-03-2006, 10:31 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalmonkey
I don't think he's implying that they planned to be down by two games. He's saying that sometimes a team needs to face a challenge in order to rise to the challenge and play to their potential.
Well they didn't rise up to anything. Their goalie was HUGE for them, we hit tons of posts, weren't really on the favourable side of the refs in game 3 and 4 (at a critical time), our captain was injured from high stick that drew no call.. etc, etc.

In fact they got outplayed for a major part of the series and barely squeaked out a series win with luck no intensity at all. I was terribly unimpressed with them.

This wasn't what they needed at all going into round 2. I'd bet the house that Brodeur, Elias and co are going to roll ALL OVER them. It won't be pretty. Devils in 4.

Old
05-03-2006, 02:38 PM
StanAjax

Devils in 0.

The Canes should forfeit. They won't win a single period. Hell, they had trouble scoring 2 on Huet. Good luck scoring one on Brodeur while handcuffing Elias, Gomez, Gionta and John "hat-trick" Madden ( ).

Their only chance lies in Williams' stick...

Old
05-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Evil Ted

He should have said was what they needed was the canadiens captain to go down with a flaggrant highstick by williams.

Old
05-03-2006, 02:46 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalmonkey
Yeah. you're right.

Old
05-03-2006, 02:54 PM
FargoND

Cry me a river

Boo hoo hoo. Face it you lost and that's that. What gets me is the last couple of years you were able to knock off the Bruins with speed, good goaltending and penalties going your way (read Mike ribero) That's exactly how you were beat this year..so build a bridge and get over it.

Old
05-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH

Not only that, but there they are losing game three and one of his players makes by far the biggest mistake of the series...and they win because of it. It happened in the series and due to a lack of skill, they win. Williams can't control his stick, unintentionally but not accidentally, so they win. And even then only because a rookie goaltender bales them out while they continue to run Huet.

If the refs had called that play do they win game 3? Maybe. Maybe not.

If Williams had sat out the next game, after all Saku has to sit out the series, they probably don't win that game. They made it sound like they got their $%!& together after losing the first two when in fact they barely played even.

They better get a lot better if they don't want to rely on luck (read accidentally sticking Elias in the eye due to lack of skill) and running Brodeur. Of course if they do that, run Brodeur and knock out Elias through absolutely no fault of Elias's and win 4 games by 1 goal, I hope they are consistent and point out how fair that is because they lost Cole and claim they have their $%!& together.

Pardon my rant.

Edit: one more thing that psed me off- Bulis obstruction on Ward, They finally start calling the running of Huet, so they call that one to make it look fair. Overall I don't blame the refs but that one was called by a ref with an extremely stunned brain. I wouldn't have minded if they had called something else that was borderline but that was very very weak. A real cheap call. If Montreal knew that was coming they should have just run Ward. (not that I really think he should and how do you know something that stupid is coming) It was like the ref had a "quota" to meet and was running out of time. It was like saying to Carolina "you can't run Huet anymore" and to Montreal "You can't go near the net anymore".

Now I'm done.

Last edited by Crosbyfan: 05-03-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old
05-03-2006, 04:30 PM
BigStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoND
Boo hoo hoo. Face it you lost and that's that. What gets me is the last couple of years you were able to knock off the Bruins with speed, good goaltending and penalties going your way (read Mike ribero) That's exactly how you were beat this year..so build a bridge and get over it.

who are you, and why do we care?

Old
05-03-2006, 04:32 PM
bjac

Quote:
If I were Lou, I would make the EGG line sport full face cages starting in game 1...

Closed Thread