HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who should we get: Free Agents

Old
05-04-2006, 08:13 PM
phlacheesesteak

vCash: 500
we need a point man for our power play...desjardins is not gonna cut it anymore...and i dont wanna ever see kapanen at point again.....it looks like he just doesnt know what to do up there.

phlacheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 08:52 PM
jmtznr0th

I would absolutely love it if we were to get Spacek, or Skrastins. For offense, Samsonov, or Parrish. I think that would give the Flyers a much needed boost

jmtznr0th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 08:55 PM
capn89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
I would love Skrastins. We wouldn't even have to maneuver anything to get him and he won't break the bank.

Rathje has a no trade clause.
Rathje needs to "accidentally" fall down the stairs in his house and not be able to play ever again.

capn89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn89
Rathje needs to "accidentally" fall down the stairs in his house and not be able to play ever again.
...or a permenant case of vertigo from standing upright too quickly. Seriously though, I like him on the team when healthy. Hatcher and him both solidified the penalty kill, which freed up Joni for big minutes on the power-play. That in itself did wonders for this team.

I do think we need another power-play quarterback right now. If Johnsson and Rico end up leaving then we have Joni and Meyer as our best offensive defenseman. That's alright now but eventually, one will get hurt and take our power play with them to the ER. Let's face it, even if Rico signs and Johnsson leaves, our PP unit still needs a bit of help.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Fuman*

1)Patrik Elias-money during the playoffs
2)Martin Straka-ONLY ranger player who was flying and playing with grit also has some good finishing skills
3)Sergei Samsonov-sneaky shifty scoring winger

Rest = too old or too slow + garbage != NEW NHL Compatible

Fuman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 09:19 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn89

Rathje can fix himself when healthy. Despite being big and slow he knows what to do with the puck.

Hatcher is different because his game is totally different from Rathje's. Hatcher's game is completely obsolete in the new NHL. He can't hook, hold or move people from in front of the net. He litterally is a pylon.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 09:43 PM
guinness
those were the days

You guys can have Shanny, he's been invisible the last couple of playoffs, however I see him returning to St. Louis if he wasn't resigned by the Wings.

And Spacek? Eww, I thought he was the worst defenseman for the Oilers in the Wings/Oilers series, Zetterberg completely undressed him in game 6; he was almost as bad as Lilja or Schneider.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Rathje can fix himself when healthy. Despite being big and slow he knows what to do with the puck.

Hatcher is different because his game is totally different from Rathje's. Hatcher's game is completely obsolete in the new NHL. He can't hook, hold or move people from in front of the net. He litterally is a pylon.
Don't tell me you're starting to buy all the bs too... Hatcher was playing through an equally dehabilitating injury and still consistently made better decisions than Rathje.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 10:48 PM
phlacheesesteak

I think we should start to build this team on what we have. Gagne needs signed, and him and forsberg need to stay together. They need somone to play with other than Knuble. i think Eager will be a solid addition, as 4th line wing. Hopfully Primeau comes back to center him...maybe radio on the right. Do Kapenen or Knuble have no trade clauses on either of their contracts? also nedved needs to go...i know he doesnt have a no trade clause. I love handzeus but he might have to go while his value is probably perty high while he has a reasonable salary. Richards is what this team needs to be built around...he has to have the right line mates this year..we cant stick him with crap like we did this year... if we could revamp that 3rd line, and get somone really fast on D to play with Hatcher, i think we'd be set....but we also need that first line winger to go with gagne and forsberg. Oh adn also Esche needs to be traded. Nitty had his introduction to the NHL this past year, hes shown potential and its a fine time for him to step up as the clear nuber one this coming year. Sorry i know these are scattered thoughts but... oh, and also... whats up with stevenson for this coming year and his contract 1,254,000.... sound right?

phlacheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 11:30 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
You guys can have Shanny, he's been invisible the last couple of playoffs, however I see him returning to St. Louis if he wasn't resigned by the Wings.

And Spacek? Eww, I thought he was the worst defenseman for the Oilers in the Wings/Oilers series, Zetterberg completely undressed him in game 6; he was almost as bad as Lilja or Schneider.
Spacek was great from the deadline to the playoffs, although he did seem to fall off during that series, the little I saw of it, anyway. I bet he bounces back in the second round.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 12:19 PM
PF1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion of the North
The cap space for a Redden type defenseman doesnt exist unless we ignore the offensive needs of this team.

I'd say make a push for two of these: Niclas Havelid, Marek Zidlicky, Karlis Skrastins, Jaroslav Spacek, Daniel Tjarnqvist, Ruslan Salei.

Among forwards the most interesting to me would be one of Langenbrunner or Samsonov and maybe Parrish who shouldnt be that expensive.

Deal away Nedved and Handzus.

Gagne - Forsberg - Langenbrunner (4+5+2.5)
Umberger - Carter - Parrish (1+1+2)
Knuble - Richards - Kapanen (1.5+1+1.5)
Eager - Primeau - Radivojevic (1+3+1)

Pitkanen - Rathje (2.5+3.5)
Havelid - Hatcher (2.5+3.5)
Gauthier - Salei (2+2.5)

Niitty 1
Esche 1

43 total

Daniel Tjarnqvist - have you ever seen this guy play? Man, he's brutal. Seen him a lot down here in ATL. No and no.

And no more talk about "Shanny" - that would be just wrong to see him in orange and black...

PF1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Cross Out The Eyes*

Send a message via AIM to Cross Out The Eyes* Send a message via Yahoo to Cross Out The Eyes*
Unlikely: (Elite)
Wade Redden

Possible: (Number 2 defensemen)
Marek Zidlicky

Very Possible: (Second Pair defensemen)
Jaroslav Spacek
Joe Corvo
Frantisek Kaberle
Niclas Havelid

(Third pair/7th D)
Radoslav Suchy
Andrei Zyuzin
Mark Eaton

Unlikely (Elite)
Patrik Elias

Possible (First liner/Big Money
Sergei Samsonov

Very Possible (Second liner/affordable)
Martin Straka
Petr Sykora
Mark Parrish
Jaime Langenbrunner

Bargain Shopping
Jan Bulis
Jeff Friesen

Cross Out The Eyes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 02:30 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund Dontes
Unlikely: (Elite)
Wade Redden

Possible: (Number 2 defensemen)
Marek Zidlicky

Very Possible: (Second Pair defensemen)
Jaroslav Spacek
Joe Corvo
Frantisek Kaberle
Niclas Havelid

(Third pair/7th D)
Radoslav Suchy
Andrei Zyuzin
Mark Eaton

Unlikely (Elite)
Patrik Elias

Possible (First liner/Big Money
Sergei Samsonov

Very Possible (Second liner/affordable)
Martin Straka
Petr Sykora
Mark Parrish
Jaime Langenbrunner

Bargain Shopping
Jan Bulis
Jeff Friesen
I would take Spacek or F. Kaberle, Straka or Parrish, and maybe a Suchy or Zyuzin.

Old
05-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
The cap space for a Redden type defenseman doesnt exist unless we ignore the offensive needs of this team.

I'd say make a push for two of these: Niclas Havelid, Marek Zidlicky, Karlis Skrastins, Jaroslav Spacek, Daniel Tjarnqvist, Ruslan Salei.

Among forwards the most interesting to me would be one of Langenbrunner or Samsonov and maybe Parrish who shouldnt be that expensive.

Gauthier - Salei (2+2.5)

Niitty 1
Esche 1

43 total

That seems realistic - Havelid and Salei would really help this team. Langenbrunner would be much better than Knuble on the first line - he can work the corners and also skate well enough to join the rush.

I would go one step further and deal a goalie (Niitty) for another winger if possible. Esche has proven capable IMO with a better team and a higher seed he could get the job done.

And at this point we would have to give away Nedved and Handzus won't get us near as much as he would have earlier this year when we were all screaming to get rid of him.

Anybody think we should have kept Handzus now? Hurt shoulder or not he flat out sucked in the playoffs. Should have sat out for a quicker player - ANYBODY basically.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 10:47 AM
toothless joe

Keep Nitty unless we are going for Luongo. Esche is a freakin' bust. Langenbruner however would be a great addition. a lot of grit and speed. Knuble can totally go down a line.

toothless joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 10:57 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
Yeah we have alot of proven goal scorers like Shanny.
Yeah I know what you mean, but we need fast skating proven goal scorers

And people who are looking for Kubina, I am not positive, but I believe I have read several times that he was struggling in TB with the new rules, not sure that is what we want. I think the best bet is resigning Johnnson, he should not cost much coming off a year with an injury. Go with Pitkanen, Johnsson, Meyer, Gauthier and try to replace one of either Hatcher or Rathje with someone else. Markov??? Unless we can somehow get rid of both, but I doubt it.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 11:00 AM
mikedifr

Quote:

Gauthier - Salei (2+2.5)

Niitty 1
Esche 1

43 total

Good realistic attempt here, although I have a couple suggestions. I dont necessarily agree with it but if we are signing Parrish and Langenbrunner, I think you need to balance the lines a little more there.
Gagne Forsberg Knuble (nothing wrong with this line)
Umberger Carter Langenbrunner (this line needs a playmaker, not a garbage goal scorer like Parrish)

Parrish Richards Rado
Eager Primeau Kapanen (keep Kap on the 4th line, with primeau as a shut down guy)

Pitkanen Rathje - fine
Havelid Hatcher - I dont think Havelid is an upgrade from Johnsson
Gautheir Salei - I like Salei if he is replacing either Rathje or Hatcher, but these two are too similar, need a puck carrier on there which neither are. Meyer showed a lot of potential and i think he should stay on the third pairing with Gautheir

Personally, I dont want to lose Handzus, unless we can really get value for him and I dont think Langenbrunner and Parrish are necessarily the style of player this team needs. They need european style players like Buffalo has. Fast, speedy, great puck handlers, etc. Carter and Umberger can be goal scorers, they just need someone to dish the puck to them. This is what I would go with, and with the acquisitions I mention, I mean more of their style of play then then specificall
Gagne Forsberg Knuble
Umberger Carter FA (Samsonov, Afinogenov, Prospal)
Handzus Richards FA (Fedotenko, Dumont)
Eager Primeau Kapanen
Rado, Potulny

2nd line needs a playmaker
3rd line needs a goal scorer that pops in timely goals but one that is skilled, not someone like Parrish, Shanahan that is similar to the players the flyers always signed

Pitkanen Rathje/Markov
Hatcher Johnsson (upgrade one of them if possible)
Gautheir Meyer

Last edited by mikedifr: 05-06-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Old
05-06-2006, 11:09 AM
toothless joe

Markov could be a decent response if paired correctly. Dump Johnsson. Clarke lokked like he was leaning that way anyway in his press conference. there's a history here with concussions and I think it's going to play a real role in clarke's decisionmaking this offseason.

Old
05-06-2006, 11:14 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothless joe
Markov could be a decent response if paired correctly. Dump Johnsson. Clarke lokked like he was leaning that way anyway in his press conference. there's a history here with concussions and I think it's going to play a real role in clarke's decisionmaking this offseason.
I dont mind getting rid of Johnsson if we can upgrade. Of the 2nd tier dmen available, I dont think they are better then him. If we are getting Redden, then its obvious. I think Clarke is just starting the bargaining and trying to lower his value. Besides, does he really want to get rid of the last player we have from the Lindros trade

Old
05-06-2006, 11:17 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothless joe
Keep Nitty unless we are going for Luongo. Esche is a freakin' bust. Langenbruner however would be a great addition. a lot of grit and speed. Knuble can totally go down a line.
How is Esche a bust
I am all for trading him and going with Nitty, but to call him a bust is ridiculous. He only took us to a period away from the cup in 2004, and was hung out to dry this year

Knuble should stay on the top line - He had career highs in stats, worked well with that line. This is where you get the most out of him, any other line he is not even worth having. Need to think in terms of balance and chemistry. We need balance, not one scoring line. The need a better RW for Carter and Umberger. I dont object to Langenbrunner, but dont know if he has the skill that we need.

Old
05-06-2006, 11:20 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
I would take Spacek or F. Kaberle, Straka or Parrish, and maybe a Suchy or Zyuzin.
How are any of these dmen an upgrade over K. Johnsson?

Old
05-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
They don't have a lingering concussion?

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 11:28 AM
BrimFullofAsham45

There are two players here who I'd hate to see go; Johnsson and Handzus, I think losing Johnsson is acceptable, but losing Handzus will be a great blow to this team. If Johnsson leaves, the Flyers MUST go out and pick up a defenseman like Zidlicky, who would be the perfect example of who I would want to see on the blueline. Skrastins would also be nice, and so would Markov, I really do not want to see that bum Gauthier here too much longer.

And if things come to dealing Handzus, I think that his value is very high and we could get a lot out of him, so keep that in mind.

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 01:04 PM
toothless joe

exactly. Handzus does have a high trade value but is rather slow. Everyone is always touting his Pk abilities, even me. But what did that get us? one of the worst Pk's in the league. Esche was hung out to dry this year? Are you kidding? esche is a time bomb, where nitty is calm cool collected and delivers. Esche needs to stir up Tampa Bays pot or anywhere else but Philly. Has not proven that he is a number one goalie. 2004 doesn't do it man, see Brodeur. He keeps comin. Esche implodes.

Old
05-06-2006, 06:32 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
Healthier and cheaper, mostly. Spacek and Kaberle were both way better than Johnsson this year, and Johnsson might still get offers in the $3.5 million range due to his excellent play in the past, and the perception that this was just an injury-plagued off year (which I think it was; players almost never just go from great to bad like that). KJ's injury sounds very bad. I really want to avoid concussion cases in the future. Philly just has an atrocious history of great players being ruined with them.