HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who should we get: Free Agents

Old
05-06-2006, 06:51 PM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie
Forsberg could wing Sakic
If the Flyers by some miracle were able to get Sakic, I think you put Sakic on the first line with Gagne and Forsberg on the wing with Carter and Umberger.

But I just woke up from my dream and realized that Sakic is not coming here. Damn.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 06:56 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfphillystyle
I think we should start to build this team on what we have. Gagne needs signed, and him and forsberg need to stay together. They need somone to play with other than Knuble. i think Eager will be a solid addition, as 4th line wing. Hopfully Primeau comes back to center him...maybe radio on the right. Do Kapenen or Knuble have no trade clauses on either of their contracts? also nedved needs to go...i know he doesnt have a no trade clause. I love handzeus but he might have to go while his value is probably perty high while he has a reasonable salary. Richards is what this team needs to be built around...he has to have the right line mates this year..we cant stick him with crap like we did this year... if we could revamp that 3rd line, and get somone really fast on D to play with Hatcher, i think we'd be set....but we also need that first line winger to go with gagne and forsberg. Oh adn also Esche needs to be traded. Nitty had his introduction to the NHL this past year, hes shown potential and its a fine time for him to step up as the clear nuber one this coming year. Sorry i know these are scattered thoughts but... oh, and also... whats up with stevenson for this coming year and his contract 1,254,000.... sound right?
For the 1000th time, why do they need someone other then Knuble to play with???? The entire problem with the Flyers was that no one other then that line did anything. Buffalo had 4 lines that can score. You get the most out of Knuble being on that line and you need to upgrade the 2nd line. Gagne, Forsberg and Knuble were perfectly fine. They complement each other perfectly and played well the whole season and almost everytime they were on the ice. Knuble on the first line gives you almost 40 goals. Knuble on any other line gives you less than 20. You need to have a balanced team and get the most out of your players that you can. If you put everyone on the top line you are going nowhere. This team needs help in sevaral areas. Stop creating problems that are not there.

Old
05-06-2006, 06:59 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothless joe
exactly. Handzus does have a high trade value but is rather slow. Everyone is always touting his Pk abilities, even me. But what did that get us? one of the worst Pk's in the league. Esche was hung out to dry this year? Are you kidding? esche is a time bomb, where nitty is calm cool collected and delivers. Esche needs to stir up Tampa Bays pot or anywhere else but Philly. Has not proven that he is a number one goalie. 2004 doesn't do it man, see Brodeur. He keeps comin. Esche implodes.
Yeah Nitty looked very calm cool and collected through the last month of the season when he played himself out of the #1 job and Esche played several great games. Esche played great the first game, excellent in the two wins, and ok at the beginning of the two embarrasing games until the team left like the entire sabres team in front of him alone.

I am all for going with Nitty and trading esche if we can get something for him, but to put any blame on him what so ever is absolutely ridiculous. And to even mention him in the same post as Brodeur is even dumber.

Old
05-06-2006, 07:03 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
Healthier and cheaper, mostly. Spacek and Kaberle were both way better than Johnsson this year, and Johnsson might still get offers in the $3.5 million range due to his excellent play in the past, and the perception that this was just an injury-plagued off year (which I think it was; players almost never just go from great to bad like that). KJ's injury sounds very bad. I really want to avoid concussion cases in the future. Philly just has an atrocious history of great players being ruined with them.
From a health concern up until this year Johnsson basically played every game with the Flyers. He missed two in 04 and then had wrist injury in the playoffs but I dont remember him having concussion problems before this year. If Johnsson costs the same or less then these other guys, I rather go with him. Kaberle is basically Carolina's best dman so doubt they let him go. Spacek is ok but up until this year never played a full season and I dont think he is an upgrade.

Havelid is good but is 3 years older then Johnsson.

This is an honest question cause I dont know much about him but is Zidlicky any good in his own end?? I know he is great offensively but he is really small, has had some injury problems and what I read about him says he tends to turn the puck over.

Last edited by mikedifr: 05-06-2006 at 07:38 PM.
Old
05-06-2006, 07:59 PM
toothless joe

Dumber? rather honest comparisons that are eventually made. Your calculations of Esche may not be entirely off but that blowout in game 2 really showed who Esche was and what he will always be. but for heavan's sake please don't make Esche out to be the one and only silver lining in the series. Let's face it there was NONE. that's the idiocy of it all.

toothless joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 08:07 PM
toothless joe

CODE]Yeah Nitty looked very calm cool and collected through the last month of the season when he played himself out of the #1 job and Esche played several great games.[/CODE]

Do you really think Hitch was going to EVER go with Nitty in the playoffs? that's a dumb post

Old
05-06-2006, 09:23 PM
capn89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
How is Esche a bust
I am all for trading him and going with Nitty, but to call him a bust is ridiculous. He only took us to a period away from the cup in 2004, and was hung out to dry this year

Knuble should stay on the top line - He had career highs in stats, worked well with that line. This is where you get the most out of him, any other line he is not even worth having. Need to think in terms of balance and chemistry. We need balance, not one scoring line. The need a better RW for Carter and Umberger. I dont object to Langenbrunner, but dont know if he has the skill that we need.
We should get Kolzig.

capn89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Do you really think Hitch was going to EVER go with Nitty in the playoffs? that's a dumb post
I believe Nitty played himself out of it as well. He came back from the Olympics and stunk, Esche did not. Was there any other choice but Esche when the playoffs started?

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 06:37 AM
Mythology

IMO five extremely important considerations about free agent signings this summer that I hope the Flyers are also considering:

1). The new run and gun NHL is a young mans game over the course of a very long season. The fast pace of the game is going to be harder on older bodies that have longer recovery time causing more injuries.

2). Injuries are more damaging under the salary cap for team with high pay-rolls. You can not trade just trade for a player to step in as a replacement any more. Leaving salary cap space for in season trades is valuable.

3). With the salary cap teams need to identify positions where they do not have a cheep internal option to target as needing a free agent to fill. Young players with minimal time in the league are cheep. Some roster spots need to have cheep players so that other spots can have expensive super stars.

4). Young players need a chance to develop to maximize their potential. They need important ice time in the “roll” the team hopes for them.

5). Drafting and player development will be critical.

The Flyers have young, inexpensive forwards that need to develop in the NHL and in the farm system for them to be successful short and long term. They do not have any young defenseman that can step to play important minuets in the NHL next year. They need to address that position in Free agency or with a trade. They took a great step this past season and played Umburger, Carter, and Richards. They have a year of valuable NHL experience now. Play them, develop them. Give them the chance to be top 6 forwards. They also have Potulny, Ruzicka, and Dimitrakos as well. IMO an older, expensive forward is not a good move for the Flyers. Go get the top pair dman and fill in with cheep forwards if you even need to. Plus if they feel they need to make an in season move it is always easier to deal for a forward than a top pair dman.

Mythology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 07:17 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
LOL, as long as you're getting Sakic, why not get Brodeur to mind the net?

Bubba Thudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 08:20 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Dumber? rather honest comparisons that are eventually made. Your calculations of Esche may not be entirely off but that blowout in game 2 really showed who Esche was and what he will always be. but for heavan's sake please don't make Esche out to be the one and only silver lining in the series. Let's face it there was NONE. that's the idiocy of it all.
No there wasnt one, there was two. Esche played well the majority of the time until he was hung out to dry, and Forsberg showed how he carries a team, except he didnt get any help at all.

Old
05-07-2006, 05:58 PM
flyboys328

Offseason wishlist

doubtfuls
Wade Redden
Patrik Elias
Ed Jovanovski
Michael Peca
Jason Arnott
Marek Zidlicky

possibles
Jamie Langenbrunner
Petr Sykora
Niclas Havelid
Frantisek Kaberle
Jeff Friesen
Mark Parrish
Mike Grier
Danny Markov

Most Likelys
Jan Bulis
Shean Donovan
Karlis Skrastins
Dan Hinote
Fernando Pisani
Ruslan Salei

who do you wish the flyers will go after

flyboys328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

My worthless thoughts:

I want to see the team build in the model of the Sabres. That is, have many decent players so that you can roll 4 lines and 3 decent defense pairings.

As much as I'd love to get Elias, I'd rather (well, maybe not, Elias would be awesome to have) have 2 or 3 decent forwards, like Parrish and Sykora. Nothing super expensive, but solid players who will provide depth.

For defense, we are stuck with Rathje and Hatcher, but I would add a Markov and/or Skrastins and/or Kaberle and/or Eaton. This would give us 3 decent pairings. Nothing Spectacular, but decent.

I'd really like to trade Esche for Prospal, giving TB a decent goalie who is an upgrade on the two they have but relatively inexpensive, and giving us a solid skilled player, helping their possible salary cap issue.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboys328

possibles
Jamie Langenbrunner
Petr Sykora
Niclas Havelid
Frantisek Kaberle
Jeff Friesen
Mark Parrish
Mike Grier
Danny Markov

Most Likelys
Jan Bulis
Shean Donovan
Karlis Skrastins
Dan Hinote
Fernando Pisani
Ruslan Salei

who do you wish the flyers will go after
I like all of your "possibles" list, except Langenbrunner, since he just had a career year and will command too much $. I also like Skrastins. I would love to have Friesen and Parrish, since these 2 could be had for possibly 2 million, and they each add scoring depth, although Friesen didn't do much this year. (By the way, are these guys fast at all? I really don't know).

As for defensemen, I'd take Kaberle, Markov, Skrastins, and even Eaton. I think we could get 4 of these guys, 2 forwards, 2 defensmen at about 2-2.5 mil each.

Old
05-07-2006, 07:03 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Why does everyone want Jan Bulis? He sucks.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 07:06 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Your guess is as good as mine.

Off of that list I'd want Markov/Zidlicky and Parrish. Everyone else... pass.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 07:13 PM
toothless joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
No there wasnt one, there was two. Esche played well the majority of the time until he was hung out to dry, and Forsberg showed how he carries a team, except he didnt get any help at all.
Esche will be moved no matter what YOU say mikie. forsberg will be gone after nest year. There were no silver linings in this series, wake up.

Old
05-07-2006, 07:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Skrastins and Pisani would be great additions. Pisani is an Edmonton boy, I bet the Oilers re-sign him. The last time Pisani was a free agent I was running around here saying the Flyers should try and get him, and he would have looked real good against Buffalo.

Skrastins, very poised, very sound defensively, and maybe more important...stays healthy. He's played 400+ games in a row.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 07:52 PM
toothless joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
I believe Nitty played himself out of it as well. He came back from the Olympics and stunk, Esche did not. Was there any other choice but Esche when the playoffs started?
What team were you watchin' man? Esche wasn't better!!

Old
05-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
The one in orange and black, give it a try.

Esche played better leading up to the playoffs. It's pretty simple.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Clearly I was watching the Philadelphia Flyers. Not the "it's the Nitty show" that only plays in your brain, apparently. The better and "hotter" goaltender heading into the playoffs got the starts, deservedly so. That's how it works. You don't thrown in the rookie who's been brutal for nearly two months and hope he doesn't blow it. You play the guy with the experience who has handled the pressure of the stretch run and put out some amazing performances along the way (and that's not even mentioning how good he was in the 2004 playoffs).

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514

If we get Jan Bulis, then he can't kill us with 4-goal games. So, we sign him and then just scratch him every game.

Old
05-07-2006, 10:30 PM
FlyersFanJS

Quote:
esche was BY FAR the better goaltender going down the stretch...nitty may be better, but esche was playing a lot better towards the end of the season than nitty

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 02:27 PM
toothless joe

Maybe your right. I was just so unimpressed with Esche and where he should be as a veteran goaltender that it just sickened me. In any case, i think it will be he that is shown the door before the start of next season not NItty.

Old
05-08-2006, 08:40 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Esche will be moved no matter what YOU say mikie. forsberg will be gone after nest year. There were no silver linings in this series, wake up.
Well, if you were awake you might have noticed that I said to trade Esche next year, regardless of how he played and whether I am a fan of him or not, and I also mentioned take a run at it next year because Forsberg will be gone.

Seems to me that most agree with me on Esche.

You need to wake up cause this post was irrelevant