HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Take a seat in the GM Chair... your offseason moves:

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Habruti!

vCash: 500
My moves would be as follows:

Arnott for 3yrs at 4M/yr...
Trade: to Chicago: Ribeiro, Kostsitsyn, 2nd for Mark Bell
Trade: Abiesher, Bonk to Philly for a 2nd
Sign Huet: 2.3M/yr for 3yrs.

Let go Bulis, Sundstrum, Streit

Bell, Arnott, Ryder
Zednik, Plekanek, Kovalev
Higgins, Koivu, Perezhogin
Begin, Lapierre, Murray

Markov - Komisarek
Bouillon - Dandenault
Souray - Rivet
Emelin <--- Gear him up during the year and use Souray to fetch something decent at the trade deadline

Old
05-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Netro

It seems like the consensus on this board is to sign Arnott as the number 2 centre. Now, while I do like Arnott, I have some reservations:
(1) He is turning 32 this year. I'd prefer a younger player, say 28-30
(2) He is coming off a career offensive year. A team may have to overpay for his services

I don't know all the UFA's out there but I am think I would try to target a centre via the trade route.

As for the defense, I would go after a big time D man. And while I am not sure if any would sign I would target the following:
(1) Wade Redden
(2) Zdeno Chara
(3) Pavel Kubina

All 3 are turning, or turned, 29 this year. They are in their prime and most likely will even get better in the next 1-2 years. A defenceman's prime can last even up to 35. They will be expensive, but I think worth the expense.

Another d-man I would target if 1 of the 3 above are not obtained would be Jay McKee. Doesn't have the offensive upside like the above 3, but I just think he is terrific. Also turning 30 this year.

Old
05-04-2006, 12:57 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

It seems another concensus is that our dead wood is worth other teams star players.
Gainey can always tell other GMs «but...but it worked on my PS2». «Ok, then you can have Ovechkin for Ribeiro».

I would find all this funny if it weren't for some disillusionned clown who will eventually blame Gainey because he couldn't get a top player by trading Streit and sign Iginla for under 500K.
You think I'm kidding? Dig this thread back up in august and you'll see.

Old
05-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Habitants

hmm trade for Lang? that is actually not such a bad idea. i might like him more than Arnott at this point. Lang is 6'3 and he shoots right. he could play quite well with kovalev. (as he did previously in pitts )

also Langenbrunner signing is intriguing, i think gainey would like to get him, as he played for dallas before. he is a good gritty defensive forward that could but up as much point and more than bulis.

get some experience players in there to help develop our young talent. this could be good

i would be happy if gainey brought in Richards/Lecavalier, or Lang. or whoever else of that calibre. just as long is ribs is out!

Old
05-04-2006, 01:20 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants

i would be happy if gainey brought in Richards/Lecavalier, or Lang. or whoever else of that calibre. just as long is ribs is out!
Thanks for proving my point.

Old
05-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Capitano

I'd trade Aebischer, Plekanec, Ribeiro, and Perezhogin for Richards if at all possible...

Cap

Old
05-04-2006, 01:22 PM
oli500

One thing is we got to upgrade are center position. Give koivu another weapon and get rid of bonk leasines and ribeiros lack of physical play.

Posible centers to replace ribeiro
Arnot
savard

Posible centers to replace bonk
Alyn McCauly- Great speed would be a awsome 3rd line center that can use his speed unlike bonk.
Chipcura if hes ready

Wingers

Jerry lethinen : We could end up creating a finish line. hell imagine a higgins-koivu-lithinen line. that line would be so responsible defensevely that we could use 3 scoring lines and wouldent need a shut down line.

If I were bob I would use my conections to try and convince arnott and lethinin to come to montreal. Hell I could see lethinin coming here, hes got the bob gainey conection and guy carboneau conection + the koivu conection. We allready got a solid core arnott and lethinin are solid nhlers that would solidyfy are team.

Temu selane : Another player that has ties to a member of our organisation. I would love to see a finish line in montreal. Finish players have allways played well toghether and all 3 of them are solid 2 way players.

Selane-Koivu-Lethinin
A.Kositsyn-Arnott-Kovalev
plekanec-Chipcura-perezhogin
Latendrese-Bégin-Ryder
My dream line up

Old
05-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Subban Fan

1) Trade Ribs, Zednik and Abby for Bertuzzi
2) Sign Peca
3) Sign Laraque
4) Sign a 7th d-man

Ryder-Koivu-Higgs
Bertuzzi-Pleks-Kovy
Perezhogin-Peca-Bégin
Murray-Bonk-Laraque/Kostitsyn

Old
05-04-2006, 05:54 PM
jcpenny

Some people here should stop dreaming...

Old
05-04-2006, 05:56 PM
HabsBaby18*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8

To Tampa Bay: David Aebischer
To Montreal: 2nd round pick 2006
so basically we gave Theodore for a 2nd round pick ... lolll im happy your not a real gm

Old
05-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Marchy79

Hurm... I would do a few things...
I would examine the list of UFA defencemen around the league, and try to find a few names that would entice me.
I would take in to effect which names I would be going after, and offer the players who would be then expendable to other teams during the draft.
Guys I would deem a lock (or VERY high priced in terms of value) for next year's d corps are (in no particular order):
79 A. Markov
44 S. Souray
8 M. Komisarek

the rest are tradeable, but are also welcome still (none of them played too poorly this year)

as for the forward positions... I would look around to see who's available in a top 2 center position around the NHL, and how much are they being shopped for.
A top line LW'er would also be nice, but not a premiere need (Higgins did a great job after the olympic break, and deserves a shot on the top 2 lines when we get back in Sept).

Finally, I would kick back, drink a bottle of the finest Cognac, and reminisce about the fact that I have the greatest job in the world, I'd invite my GF in... Then I'd do us all proud by 'christening' the desk in the office, and then I'd be back on the phones, calling the eventual Stanley Cup Champions GM, and accuse him of stealing our Cup!

Gawd that'd be fun

Old
05-04-2006, 06:32 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
Hurm... I would do a few things...
I would examine the list of UFA defencemen around the league, and try to find a few names that would entice me.
I would take in to effect which names I would be going after, and offer the players who would be then expendable to other teams during the draft.
Guys I would deem a lock (or VERY high priced in terms of value) for next year's d corps are (in no particular order):
79 A. Markov
44 S. Souray
8 M. Komisarek

the rest are tradeable, but are also welcome still (none of them played too poorly this year)

as for the forward positions... I would look around to see who's available in a top 2 center position around the NHL, and how much are they being shopped for.
A top line LW'er would also be nice, but not a premiere need (Higgins did a great job after the olympic break, and deserves a shot on the top 2 lines when we get back in Sept).

Finally, I would kick back, drink a bottle of the finest Cognac, and reminisce about the fact that I have the greatest job in the world, I'd invite my GF in... Then I'd do us all proud by 'christening' the desk in the office, and then I'd be back on the phones, calling the eventual Stanley Cup Champions GM, and accuse him of stealing our Cup!

Gawd that'd be fun
I'd trade Souray before Rivet.

Old
05-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500
One thing is we got to upgrade are center position. Give koivu another weapon and get rid of bonk leasines and ribeiros lack of physical play.

Posible centers to replace ribeiro
Arnot
savard

Posible centers to replace bonk
Alyn McCauly- Great speed would be a awsome 3rd line center that can use his speed unlike bonk.
Chipcura if hes ready

Wingers

Jerry lethinen : We could end up creating a finish line. hell imagine a higgins-koivu-lithinen line. that line would be so responsible defensevely that we could use 3 scoring lines and wouldent need a shut down line.

If I were bob I would use my conections to try and convince arnott and lethinin to come to montreal. Hell I could see lethinin coming here, hes got the bob gainey conection and guy carboneau conection + the koivu conection. We allready got a solid core arnott and lethinin are solid nhlers that would solidyfy are team.

Temu selane : Another player that has ties to a member of our organisation. I would love to see a finish line in montreal. Finish players have allways played well toghether and all 3 of them are solid 2 way players.

Selane-Koivu-Lethinin
A.Kositsyn-Arnott-Kovalev
plekanec-Chipcura-perezhogin
Latendrese-Bégin-Ryder
My dream line up
so you are saying get rid of Higgins?? :

Old
05-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
I'd trade Souray before Rivet.
Interesting... I believe with the right playing partner, Souray can be an even greater asset to the point.

I really like Rivet as well... however if the right deal came around I WOULD consider it (which goes for anyone)... And he definately peaked this year... as stockbroker says "Sell High/Buy Low"

Old
05-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi#1
1) Trade Ribs, Zednik and Abby for Bertuzzi
The Canucks really don't want your trash. Aebischer and RiBeiro would have no spot on the Canucks and Zednik is a huge downgrade from Bertuzzi. Mentioning those players is likely only going to get Nonis to hang up the phone.

Old
05-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsBaby18
so basically we gave Theodore for a 2nd round pick ... lolll im happy your not a real gm
It's not about just value of a player anymore, it's also based on a contract ...

the deal wasn't Theodore for Aebischer but Theodore's CONTRACT for Aebischer

we can get rid of Aebischer if we sign Huet and that would give us 5 M $ to spend ... you have to think of the salary and the cap system in place of the NHL

Old
05-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
The Canucks really don't want your trash. Aebischer and RiBeiro would have no spot on the Canucks and Zednik is a huge downgrade from Bertuzzi. Mentioning those players is likely only going to get Nonis to hang up the phone.

Have you looked at your sig. lately?
Furthermore, I dont think too many competent GM's would scoff at the initial offer of a decent second line pivot, and a starting goalie, for a 'player who showed up for 20 games and got paid 5.2 million'

Old
05-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1

Have you looked at your sig. lately?
Furthermore, I dont think too many competent GM's would scoff at the initial offer of a decent second line pivot, and a starting goalie, for a 'player who showed up for 20 games and got paid 5.2 million'

The Canucks definitely would. Where does RiBeiro play in Vancouver? He's not going to be on either of the two top lines and he's certainly not a guy you want on the 3rd/4th line. And Aebischer, with Cloutier, Auld and Noronen already in the system do the Canucks really need another "average goaltender"? Irregardless of how low you feel Bertuzzi's value is(funny, in what is considered a poor season he would've led the Habs in scoring while being one of their most physical players), that trade makes zero sense from a Canucks' POV.

Old
05-04-2006, 07:54 PM
catmanhabsfan

Quote:
The Canucks definitely would. Where does RiBeiro play in Vancouver? He's not going to be on either of the two top lines and he's certainly not a guy you want on the 3rd/4th line. And Aebischer, with Cloutier, Auld and Noronen already in the system do the Canucks really need another "average goaltender"? Irregardless of how low you feel Bertuzzi's value is(funny, in what is considered a poor season he would've led the Habs in scoring while being one of their most physical players), that trade makes zero sense from a Canucks' POV.
youre a buzz kill buddy. let us hab fans have some fun dreaming in technicolour to help us pass the looong summer. besides, if all our players arent worthy of wearing the mighty orca on their chest...why are you in our room?

Old
05-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmanhabsfan
besides, if all our players arent worthy of wearing the mighty orca on their chest...why are you in our room?

Where did I say that. I simply stated that the players mentioned(Ribs, Aebischer, and Zednik) wouldn't have a place on the Canucks' roster. There are plenty of other players on the Habs' roster that would look good on the Canucks.

Old
05-04-2006, 08:01 PM
catmanhabsfan

Quote:
Where did I say that. I simply stated that the players mentioned(Ribs, Aebischer, and Zednik) wouldn't have a place on the Canucks' roster. There are plenty of other players on the Habs' roster that would look good on the Canucks.
i know i was only kidding with you wed probably want to keep the ones youd want anyways and vice versa lol

Old
05-04-2006, 08:10 PM
znk

will Emilin be at the training camp this year?

Old
05-04-2006, 11:09 PM
Habruti!

I wonder if STL could make any use of Ribeiro, Abiesher and Zednik...

I could see us making use of a guy like Jamal Mayers and perhaps a pick. As for the second/first line center I see us trying to sign Arnott or trade for eith Lang or Richards but I must admit at this point signing Arnott seem like the most feasible solution. With these two guys in the lineup we would have quite a good mixture of size/grit/speed and experience....

Mayers, Plekanek, Kovalev
Perezhogin, Arnott, Ryder
Higgins, Koivu, (Kostitsyn or Latendresse)
Begin, (Lapierre or Chipchura), Murray

At D, as long as I would like Souray to be upgraded, I do not see much moving, except Komi to continue to establish himself as a top line Dmen.

Markov - Komo
Cube - Dandy
Souray - Rivet

Old
05-05-2006, 12:26 AM
Slick Nick

In a dream world...I'd package Ryder, Souray and Aebischer and trade them to a western conf. team for a no1 center and a pick or whatever comes with it. All three players have a good value. Sing Chara to replace Souray. Trade Ribs for depth or a pick. Let Bulis go. Keep Zednik if he wants to remain on the third line, unless any kid shows greater upside in training camp. Try to sing Steit as a 7th D, and do everything to bring Emelin in the AHL in case of injury.. Emelin and Cote in the minors would be nice in terms of depth. I heard about Laraque, I think this is a joke but since it's the first speculation thread of the offseaon

In a dream world, my team would look like this;

Perezhogin - Koivu - Kovalev

They demonstrated great chemistry in the beginning of the year. Zhogy improved a lot; he's now to be considered as an almost reliable 2 way player. In this kind of company and with PP time I see him getting from 25 to 35 goals as soon as next year, while being very good in all other aspects of the game.

Kosty - big center - Higgins

The center would come from the package mentioned above, so it would be an impact player as you're giving up a lot. Higgins proved to be a great ugly goal scorer; you get a lot of these with a big center. Kosty, I'm not sure about him, but I think it's about time he gets a chance in the big leagues. Has a great shot, can pass the puck, I'd like to see him winging a good center and a smart guy like Higgins.

Murray - Plekanec - Zednik

Plekanec and Zednik have very good chemistry, and are both not bad bad offensive players. Murray brings energy, fore checking and adds to the defensive stability a third line should provide.

Bégin - Bonk - Laraque

Size, grit, defensive consciousness and even non negligible scoring upside. With a fourth line of this quality, no one could even think about coming and intimidating the smurfs no mo'.

Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovalev
Kostitsyn-UFA-Higgins
Murray-Plekanec-Zednik
Bégin-Bonk-Laraque

Chara-Komisarek (I think Chara plays on the right side ? but hey..)
Markov-Rivet
Bouillon-Dandenault
Streit

If this could happen, I think we would have the best defensive core in the league.

Huet
Danis

Edit: actually, in a dream world Malkin would center.. but they'll never give him up. Pens already have Crosby, cmon let him go... Souray, Ryder and Kostitsyn and a pick..

Last edited by Slick Nick: 05-05-2006 at 12:54 AM.
Old
05-05-2006, 01:09 AM
19 for president

vCash: 562
What type of game does Zednik play? The Wings need another legit top 6 winger and have 3 number 1 centers. A deal for Lang could be realistic depending on Zedniks game.

Closed Thread