HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Take a seat in the GM Chair... your offseason moves:

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2006, 02:19 AM
Slick Nick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 for president
What type of game does Zednik play? The Wings need another legit top 6 winger and have 3 number 1 centers. A deal for Lang could be realistic depending on Zedniks game.
Mah... He's had an ordinary season. He's not much of a passer, dosen't control the puck that well.. Is known and rightfully blamed for always trying the same one hand on the stick along the boards play. He can score nice ones though, but this year was his worst as a Hab.. and as a Slovak Olympian, he didn't look better. He's somewhere in a grey zone between a good second liner and a good third liner.

One thing for sure, he can score goals when he's hot.

Old
05-05-2006, 03:19 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Right now, Wings fan, and perhaps management, are disappointed in Datsyuk's playoff performance. If you believe that this is an indication of a permanent character trait, you might make an offer for Lang, but if you think that he can find that fire in a Habs uniform, you strike the iron while it's hot, and try to get him for one or two of our players. My feeling is that he will get better. Other players have gotten more intense over time. Mats Sundin used to be thought has a better regular season than playoff performer. Buy low sell, sell high. Datsyuk is at a low right now.

Old
05-05-2006, 03:30 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

I would do a Ribeiro + Zednik for Datsyuk. It might not be enough when the latter's stock is high, but Bob might try it now, especially with Zednik's reputation for fiery play. I'd like to see one of Latendresse or Kotsisyn playing with Dats and Kovy all year. Perhaps even Chipchura if he can adjust to playing wing and matures enough, if that line needs a bit more sandpaper (by next year's playoff, he would be a good call-up).

Old
05-05-2006, 03:36 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyMontrealExpat
I would do a Ribeiro + Zednik for Datsyuk. It might not be enough when the latter's stock is high, but Bob might try it now, especially with Zednik's reputation for fiery play. I'd like to see one of Latendresse or Kotsisyn playing with Dats and Kovy all year. Perhaps even Chipchura if he can adjust to playing wing and matures enough, if that line needs a bit more sandpaper (by next year's playoff, he would be a good call-up).
Why not.. if you add Zednik's and Ribs production this year you get less than Datsyuk's alone.

Old
05-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Habruti!

The more you think about it the more complex it is...

Team that are loaded down the midle are also team that have been succeeding very well. Needless to mention teams like Buffalo (Briere, Connely, Drury), Ottawa (Spezza, Smolinsky, Vermette, Fisher, Kelly, Arnasson), Philly(Forsberg, Richards, Carter, Handzus, Nedved), SJ(Thornton, Marleau), Detroit(Datsuk, Zetterberg, Lang), NJ(Gomez,Madden,....

Its easy to notice that there are the teams that finished quite at the top of the NHL in the regular seasons... Take the ones that have good goalies and you have the teams that went through the first round. I do not think any of these teams would let there top guys go... they will likely go after Free Agency, just like everyone suggest here.

I think the only solution is to develop our own guys... Its longer but do we really have a choice. Sure Arnott would be a good band-aid, quite a good one but at which price and would he be OK in pressure cooker MTL. Trading for Lang would cost us a lot but I am not sure the return would be just as good..?

Many have proposed trades with Ryder, I am sure he can get back in shape and while it looked like he had a mediocre year, he still managed 55pts with 30goals which is not too shaby for a guy that spent the first half of the year playing with Ribeiro. He is on of the only RH forward that we have and I think we have no choice but to keep him. Trading him is not an option IMO.

We all know Ribs is the weakest link, he is unfortunatly too slow for the new reality of this game. He is a valuable player but would be more valueable to a team that is rebuilding. Perhaps a team like Columbus could make good use of him..?

Unfortunatly there does not seem to be anybody available that would fit the bill for us next year (at center). Our only choice may then be to groom one or our own. We have two guys that would be worth looking at in Chipchura and Lapierre, you never know perhaps one of them could suprise us but he would need to be surrounded by quality and experienced wingers. We unfortunatly do not have that luxury of having to many quality wingers except for the ones we are trying to groom for the top two lines. Acquiring a either Langunbrunner or Lethinen would certainly help our third line. I would also think that we would need to do one other acquisition to boost our third line. There could be different possibilies there... In the UFA market guys like Jamal Mayers, Mike Leclerc could be of interest. Via a trade perrhaps we could sacrifice one of Perezhogin/Kostistsyn with our 1st pick to acquire mark Bell+.

Mark Bell would be my choice for a trade... I woud try Ribs, Kost and 2nd for Mark Bell. Sign Langunbrunner as stated above and ice the following lineup next year.

Perezhogin, Plekanek, Kovalev
Higgins, Koivu, Ryder
Bell, (Chipchura/Lapierre), Langunbrunner
Begin, Bonk, Murray <---- (Lapierre/Chipchura) replace Bonk the following year

Old
05-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I'd look to make a bargain deal for Bertuzzi or Lang, seeing as they make around 4-5 million for one more year. In other words, no core prospects or players, seeing as either would have to be regarded as a year-long rental. It's pretty likely that someone will offer more for Bertuzzi.

I'd look to make a hockey deal for Bell. That is, I'd be prepared to start talking about important pieces, seeing as Bell would himself be one. The difficult thing is that even if they want to trade Bell, they already have so many prospects that Chicago would probably want good roster players.

I'd also listen very closely for any rumours of Sundin's availability and try to position myself as the silent partner in a secret three-way deal. That's my far-fetched contribution to this thread. But seriously, Sundin would be great to have, even at his age and salary.

Finally, I'd try to sign Lehtinen. There's always a place for a guy like him, who just makes your team better in practically every respect. He is what Bulis is not: a superb defensive player who can also score 30 goals playing on a top line.

As a side-note, I'm not sure that a center with size is such a big concern. Buffalo has a bunch of speedy little centers, and neither Ottawa nor NJ are particularly big down the middle. One has to compensate in other ways I suppose, but there is no absolute need for a big center.

Old
05-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Yanic

Like davedave I don't think a big centre is necessary - at least not for the regular line up. I would sign an experienced checking-line centre to sub in if a centre got hurt & re-sign Bouillon, but this would be my big move:

I know this is a bit of a gamble and I don't know if the Blue Jackets would go for it, but I would deal these 3 to Columbus:

Player........................Salary
Richard Zednik.............$1,824,000
Radek Bonk.................$2,394,000
David Aebischer...........$1,900,000

for

Sergei Federov............$6,080,000

(salary source: cbc's player index)

All four players are coming off so-so seasons at best, and I figure they could all use a change. Nobody has frustrated me more as a Habs fan over the past 8 months than Bonk, and while I like Zednik, he displayd a lack of effort often during the past season and took dumb penalties. Aebischer didn't have much of a chance, but failed to impress me and I think Huet and Dannis fill the Habs goaltending needs.

Federov hasn't been playing as well as he could, but I think he would respond well to a move to Montreal: I doubt he wants to end his career with a team that missed the playoffs this year by 21 points, and would play well on a line with his comrades, Kovalev & Perezhogin. Also, on the PP, Kovalev could drop to the point with Markov and Kostitsyn could fill in on the wing for an all-Russian unit.

Then I make these regular lines, perhaps intergrating some more younger players like Latendresse & Chipchurra as the season goes on:

Forwards:
Ryder-Koivu-Higgins
Perezhogin-Federov-Kovalev
Kostitsyn-Plekanek-Ribeiro
Murray-Begin-Downey

Defence:
Markov-Komisarek
Rivet-Souray
Bouillon-Dandenault

Goal:
Huet (with Dannis as backup)

Old
05-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life
a #1 center and no Jason Arnott is not a # 1 Center

A pure goal scorer with good speed like Selanne. Patrick Elias or Jere Lethinen to play with Koivu.

A #1 Defenceman like Kubina or Redden

My lineup

Ryder- ? #1 center- Kovalev
Higgins- Koivu- Lethinen
Perezhogin - Plekanec- ufa
Bonk-Begin-Downey

I would like to get rid of Bonk but I don't think anyone will bite
Well, that's pretty simple. All we need is a first line center, a pure goal scorer, and an elite defenseman. And we have Bonk to offer. Bob will get it done.

Old
05-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Miller Time

I like your thinking...
Fedorov would be a great addition, and I think he would thrive being back in a hockey market and with a team not too far away from serious contention.

though I think the Jackets would need someone to centre their first line and feed pucks to Nash/zherdev... and I don't know that they would consider abby an upgrade over Denis.

maybe something like this could work...

to clb- Ribeiro, Bonk, Zednik,

to mtl- Fedorov,

Not trying to just unload players on CLB here either... I actually have grown to quite like Bonk, even with his salary I think that the way he played for us over the last 20 games or so (including playoffs) was incredibly valuable. Columbus could definitely use that kind of player. Also, Zednik and Bonk would both be in their last year of the contract so the jackets could free up some cap space for next seasons FA market (when they will be more ready for serious playoff contention with Brule/Kesla/Zherdev/Nash/Hainsey/Fritche all with a few years under their belts).

If we pulled that off, I'd love to see gainey make a hard run at Yelle (UFA in CGY) and langenbrunner...

this line up would be scary!

Higgins- Koivu- Ryder
Perez- Fedorov- Kovalev
Langenbrunner- Pleks- Kots
Murray- Yelle- Downey

Old
05-06-2006, 04:20 PM
greatlakeshab

06 possibilities

Lapierre
Ferland
Kostitsyn
Emilin

Some of these will have a good shot at making the team

Toss away or try to trade
Bulin
Zednick package with Ribs for a center.
Ribeiro
Streit
Bonk if can trade

Old
05-06-2006, 05:39 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakeshab
06 possibilities

Lapierre
Ferland
Kostitsyn
Emilin

Some of these will have a good shot at making the team

Toss away or try to trade
Bulin
Zednick package with Ribs for a center.
Ribeiro
Streit
Bonk if can trade
Forget Ferland and you have possibly the 3 next graduate of next year.

Old
05-06-2006, 05:54 PM
gars59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time
I like your thinking...
Fedorov would be a great addition, and I think he would thrive being back in a hockey market and with a team not too far away from serious contention.

though I think the Jackets would need someone to centre their first line and feed pucks to Nash/zherdev... and I don't know that they would consider abby an upgrade over Denis.

maybe something like this could work...

to clb- Ribeiro, Bonk, Zednik,

to mtl- Fedorov,

Not trying to just unload players on CLB here either... I actually have grown to quite like Bonk, even with his salary I think that the way he played for us over the last 20 games or so (including playoffs) was incredibly valuable. Columbus could definitely use that kind of player. Also, Zednik and Bonk would both be in their last year of the contract so the jackets could free up some cap space for next seasons FA market (when they will be more ready for serious playoff contention with Brule/Kesla/Zherdev/Nash/Hainsey/Fritche all with a few years under their belts).

If we pulled that off, I'd love to see gainey make a hard run at Yelle (UFA in CGY) and langenbrunner...

this line up would be scary!

Higgins- Koivu- Ryder
Perez- Fedorov- Kovalev
Murray- Yelle- Downey
begin , hello ?

Old
05-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Yanic

Quote:
I like your thinking...
Thanks!

Quote:
Higgins- Koivu- Ryder
Perez- Fedorov- Kovalev
Murray- Yelle- Downey
This lineup looks sweet, and the Ribeiro in place of Aebischer deal makes sense, but I agree with gars59 that Begin belongs in the lineup. Maybe put him in and drop Downey?

Old
05-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Hey Millertime...good post. A lot of thought went into that. It was really good.

Old
05-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
Some people here should stop dreaming...
It is always fun to dream

Old
05-06-2006, 07:37 PM
mcphee

Miller, interesting idea. I have no idea what Federov has left in the tank, but he's an example of a guy that can be had.

Rather Gingerly, I remeber discussing Arnott with you a while ago and I was emphatic about Mtl. being far down on hi slist. I'm not sure I'm changing my mind, but fwiw, his agent is Meehan who has a very good relationship with Gainey. At least as mentionned by McGuire yesterday. It gives Gainey someone he can pitch to at least. I don't know if he's the guy or not, but I figured it was pertinent.

Old
05-06-2006, 09:00 PM
henri2014

Lets consider this:
-If we keep about the same team that the one we had at the end of the year we will make the playoffs...
-Perez Plek Komi Higgins and Streit will have a better year and will start contributing right at the start of the year.
-Dumping Bulis sunny zednik and simpson wont make ur team worst
-We have some good prospects
-Keeping the same core of players is good for chemistry

Without any problem we could see a team like that

Higg-Koivu-Ryder
Kost-Ribs-Kovy
Perez-Plek-Lats
Murray-Bonk-Begin
Spare: Lapierre Ferland

Markov-Komi
Sourray-Rivet
Bouillon-Dandy
Spare: Streit

Huet
Aebi
Danis

All those players are alrdy in the system so its good for the team.

U can also had a UFA at Center or at D and one a the wing.

Our biggest problem is we cant score and we arent big up front the solution to those problem is in our prospect. Kost and Lats have good size and are good offensivly. Chip is a big center.
So with patience our problem will be fixed .

Old
05-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Federov is an interesting option. Overpaid veterans in general could be good trade targets. Guerin might be another, if he's in the last year of his contract. It's a big gamble still. It could basically re-attach the ball and chain that was Theodore's contract. Then again, a 35 goal PF performance from the Guerin that played in Boston would be huge.

As Millertime said, Yelle is an appealing UFA. Pretty simple game, but brings experience, face-off expertise, and superior shot-blocking. Also, somewhat perversely, his frequent injuries would be good opportunities for Lapierre and Chipchura to get learning time. Lehtinen is the other guy I'd make a serious run at.

Old
05-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Miller, interesting idea. I have no idea what Federov has left in the tank, but he's an example of a guy that can be had.

Rather Gingerly, I remeber discussing Arnott with you a while ago and I was emphatic about Mtl. being far down on hi slist. I'm not sure I'm changing my mind, but fwiw, his agent is Meehan who has a very good relationship with Gainey. At least as mentionned by McGuire yesterday. It gives Gainey someone he can pitch to at least. I don't know if he's the guy or not, but I figured it was pertinent.
I am getting the opinion Arnott has a real decent chance of being in Montreal next season. Not that is my first choice but he is by far the most popular potential acquisition(say that quick three times)on these boards.

But I have no major problem with that. He is a major improvement over Riberio as a second line center. And, at 5 million we would just replacing Theodore's large contract. So, we would still be able to go after another star.

The two things I do see is Arnott has had only 1 decent offensive year. And, by George it happens to be his contract year. Funny isn't it? Arnott is usually around 50 points....and 5 million? Plus, Plenacek is on verge of breaking out(maybe Jarett Stoll caliber), keeping him pended up back on the third or fourth line is a waste of his potential. Plenacek scoring 50 points or Arnott scoring 60 points? Which one? But Plenacek at 500,000 or Arnott at 5 million? Which one?

Old
05-07-2006, 02:14 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars59
begin , hello ?

I knew I was forgetting someone, just couldn't remember who...

Higgins- Koivu- Ryder
Perez- Fedorov- Kovalev
Langenbrunner- Pleks- Begin
Murray- Yelle- Downey
Kots, lapierre, ferland

now that looks even better!

Old
05-07-2006, 09:25 AM
mcphee

Quote:

I knew I was forgetting someone, just couldn't remember who...

Higgins- Koivu- Ryder
Perez- Fedorov- Kovalev
Langenbrunner- Pleks- Begin
Murray- Yelle- Downey
Kots, lapierre, ferland

now that looks even better!
One of these threads discussed Eric Belanger who imo would be a better option than Yelle, though, I like Yelle.

Arnott,Lang Federov, hmm, Arnott is the [Deandebean's words I think] north south player more in line with the team's needs, while who knows, the other 2 could form quite a line with Kovalev. I'd be interested to hear the varying opinions that Carbo and [?] would have. I'm having a 50 year old moment and I'm forgetting the asst.GM/pro scouts name. Old Ottawa and Duck GM, it'll come to me, nobody post it. hate when that happens. I can see the guys face, argghh.

Old
05-07-2006, 09:30 AM
Mike8

Why do you prefer Eric Belanger to Yelle?

Old
05-07-2006, 11:51 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Why do you prefer Eric Belanger to Yelle?
The few games I saw LA this year,Belanger seemed to be on the puck constantly, always involved. He could play a bit more of an offensive role than Yelle if the situation called for it. Now, I'm assuming he's solid defensively, when I don't know that. Personally, I find with alot of western guys, I may rely on 2-3 games and some commnets from the guys on RDS too much, but, I don't know, Belanger kind of stands out whenever I see the Kings.

Old
05-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Mike8

Well, Belanger's undoubtedly more skilled and versatile. He is solid defensively.

I think Yelle's more of a warrior and excellent shot-blocker though. The team could use another good shot-blocking warrior forward for the bottom six.

I wouldn't mind having both of them, in any case.

Old
05-07-2006, 03:39 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I'd be interested to hear the varying opinions that Carbo and [?] would have. I'm having a 50 year old moment and I'm forgetting the asst.GM/pro scouts name. Old Ottawa and Duck GM, it'll come to me, nobody post it. hate when that happens. I can see the guys face, argghh.

Pierre Gauthier. Phew, sometimes I worry.

Closed Thread