HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Aebischer be a Hab next season?

View Poll Results: Yes or No
Yes 26 31.33%
No 57 68.67%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2006, 09:33 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Will Aebischer be a Hab next season?

Simple question...

Old
05-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I voted yes,however if Huet re-signs,Aebischer is gone because Yann Dannis is ready to be a back up and Price can be the #1 goalie in Hamilton

Old
05-04-2006, 09:36 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Personally I don't think he will be. I see Huet being re-signed and Danis being the backup next season. I expect to see Gainey do some kind of sign and trade deal with Aebischer.

Old
05-04-2006, 09:36 AM
habfan4

vCash: 500
No - Not at 1.9 million (which I believe is the option on his contract).

Old
05-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Bob Bastards

Abi will be use as a trade bait and Gainey will resign Huet before July 1st.
Cosidering that Philly, Tampa, Phoenix, St-Louis and Vancouver could bet on him and considering is low salairie, we could have a great return on him and even out the Theo deal.

If Huet is a goner however, Abi will be resign.
To conclude, it look like Gainey is padded all around as usual...

Old
05-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I think the nature of the business says that "Yes" is the best answer, statistically. He's a restricted free agent, the Habs probably won't be making sweeping changes, we don't know for sure if Danis is going to be ready, and we don't even know for sure if we are going to be able to re-sign Huet for that matter. Gainey seems to be a relatively conservative GM. Obviously the safe answer to this poll would be to assume that he returns.

But for the purposes of arm-chair GMing fun and games, he'll certainly get a lot of votes for "No", as he certainly will seem to be expendable.

I don't think Gainey will see him as being as expendable as the bulk of Habs fandom will, however. He's a pretty solid insurance policy on Huet, and a good negotiating chip too. It would surprise me quite a bit if he wasn't back next season.

Old
05-04-2006, 10:14 AM
hab

easy question... if huet resigns, there is no question he will be traded

if he doesnt resign, aeibisher is our new no.1

Old
05-04-2006, 10:29 AM
22SteveBegin22

I voted "Yes" on the assumption that your question means "at the beginning of the season." I agree that if Danis is ready to be the backup, then Aebischer is expendable, but I'd guess that BG wants to play it safe and keep him around at least for the start of the season... a little bit like Buffalo did with Miller-Biron-Noronen (i.e. keep more than you need at the beginning of the year and then decide whether to move someone later).

Next year, if Huet is the starter and Aebischer and Danis fight for the backup spot, as long as Danis has a good showing we will probably ship Aebi somewhere in a trade. But his contract isn't so expensive that it's a problem to keep him a little while.

Old
05-04-2006, 10:29 AM
DicAnns

I think Abby will be with us next season.
Gainey won't take the risk of sending Huet as #1 with a rookie backup.

What if Huet is a fluke?
What if he gets injured during training camp?
Is Danis ready to take the #1 job if this happens?
Who would backup Danis then?
Let's hope this doesn't happen, but it could.

If Huet has a great start next season and Danis plays well in Hamilton, Abby could be traded during the season...
Abby's market value could rise during the season if other teams have issues with their goaltending.

Old
05-04-2006, 10:31 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
I think the nature of the business says that "Yes" is the best answer, statistically. He's a restricted free agent, the Habs probably won't be making sweeping changes, we don't know for sure if Danis is going to be ready, and we don't even know for sure if we are going to be able to re-sign Huet for that matter. Gainey seems to be a relatively conservative GM. Obviously the safe answer to this poll would be to assume that he returns.

But for the purposes of arm-chair GMing fun and games, he'll certainly get a lot of votes for "No", as he certainly will seem to be expendable.

I don't think Gainey will see him as being as expendable as the bulk of Habs fandom will, however. He's a pretty solid insurance policy on Huet, and a good negotiating chip too. It would surprise me quite a bit if he wasn't back next season.
All this may be true, although it's predicated on the assumption that Gainey did not peg Aebischer as expendable when he acquired him (which IMO is not a long shot as Aeb was picked up as insurance on Huet).

In the new NHL, you cannot have 1.9 million tied up in a backup goaltender. Although no clear cut trends have developed since GMs have not had a real offseason to deal with CAP ramifications, I think that asset management gets trumped by financial considerations, and thus Aebischer is likely gone.

Old
05-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Scotianhab

I think he will be re-signed as I think Danis is unrestricted as well as Huet. That means 2 of our 3 goalies could sign elsewhere if they wanted so I think Abby stays with us unless we get a good deal by a team to make a trade.

Old
05-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Phil Parent
HALL PASS BRAH!!

Price has not finished his junior stage, so no AHL for him next year. It's either CHL or NHL for him next year.

Old
05-04-2006, 11:06 AM
LePoche69

Yes at the start. Not later.

Old
05-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Talent Analyst

Yes .. And we do wut if Huet became a flop ???

Old
05-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
All this may be true, although it's predicated on the assumption that Gainey did not peg Aebischer as expendable when he acquired him (which IMO is not a long shot as Aeb was picked up as insurance on Huet).
There is room for that in the statistical probabilities, of course. Low percentage, IMO. Aebischer has had quite a successful NHL career so far, and I think he does represent a definite asset. And judging by the way Gainey utilized that asset down the stretch, when common sense would have argued against it, I would put my money on Gainey *not* pegging Aebischer as expendable. Could be wrong, but it seems more likely to me.
Quote:
In the new NHL, you cannot have 1.9 million tied up in a backup goaltender. Although no clear cut trends have developed since GMs have not had a real offseason to deal with CAP ramifications, I think that asset management gets trumped by financial considerations, and thus Aebischer is likely gone.
Which of course is predicated on the assumption that Aebischer would be a "backup goaltender" for us. Even in the best-case scenario for Huet, I don't think that would necessarily be true. It might be more like the Minnesota Roloson/Fernandez situation, because Huet still doesn't look like a guy who should play more than 50 games. If we have $4M tied up in our goaltending situation, I don't think it matters how much each one is making. For now.

But again, this is just me trying to see it through what I perceive to be Bob Gainey's spectacles. If I had my own choice, I'd probably be looking to trade Aebischer too.

Old
05-04-2006, 12:10 PM
habfan4

Quote:
There is room for that in the statistical probabilities, of course. Low percentage, IMO. Aebischer has had quite a successful NHL career so far, and I think he does represent a definite asset. And judging by the way Gainey utilized that asset down the stretch, when common sense would have argued against it, I would put my money on Gainey *not* pegging Aebischer as expendable. Could be wrong, but it seems more likely to me.
From the outset of the Theodore deal, I did look at Aebischer as a long term investment. I look at the deal on two levels: One getting some insurance on Huet; and two, a salary dump. In terms of the stretch run, I think Gainey wanted to make sure that both netminders were in game shape for the playoffs (I don't think BG had any intention of starting Aebischer, short of a complete meltdown on Cristobal's part).

Quote:
Which of course is predicated on the assumption that Aebischer would be a "backup goaltender" for us. Even in the best-case scenario for Huet, I don't think that would necessarily be true. It might be more like the Minnesota Roloson/Fernandez situation, because Huet still doesn't look like a guy who should play more than 50 games. If we have $4M tied up in our goaltending situation, I don't think it matters how much each one is making. For now.
This scenario is a distinct possibility.

I think the question becomes will Huet's potential salary (I assume he'll be resigned) permit the Canadiens to platoon the two netminders and still fill additional roster holes. Would there be cheaper alternatives to Aebischer?

Quote:
But again, this is just me trying to see it through what I perceive to be Bob Gainey's spectacles. If I had my own choice, I'd probably be looking to trade Aebischer too.
I can't say I have the foggiest idea what Gainey intends to do in the off-season, I have theories but I wouldn't bet on them.

Closed Thread