HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Karjala Cup: Leaf prospects!

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2003, 11:20 PM
eh

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to eh Send a message via MSN to eh Send a message via Yahoo to eh
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklu
Jarkko was playing in a line with Toni Dahlman (ex-Senator) and Janne Laakkonen (another late bloomer).
It is true that the players in SM-liiga are getting younger every year, but calling 21-year-old guys late bloomers is a bit too much IMHO.

Old
11-07-2003, 12:02 AM
leafaholix*

I've only seen Immonen play once, what player does he resemble to you guys that have seen him on a consistent basis?

Old
11-07-2003, 01:48 AM
miklu

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
I've only seen Immonen play once, what player does he resemble to you guys that have seen him on a consistent basis?
It's hard for me to find such a player, because I can't see NHL games on regular basis. I consider Jarkko as a puck controlling player who brings up the puck to the offensive zone very effectively. He has a great sense of hockey and he can see the whole ice and find those free players to whom he gives those excellent passes. He doesn't use his good skating speed excessively, but prefers to find the right position in the game. If he gets the puck in speed he is very hard to stop on 1 vs 1 situations. He has lots of tricks in his pocket for defenseman. I think he's an overall balanced package that hasn't any big weaknesses. For the NHL arenas he should still get some more strength... All the potential to become a NHL player is there, because he works really hard. You can see him improve nearly every game.

If I had to name a player I'd choose Joe Sakic as the most Jarkko-a-like player.

Old
11-07-2003, 05:52 AM
Kronblom

Quote:
Stats/Scores: http://stats.swehockey.se/
| DIVISIONS | NATIONAL TEAM | 2003/2004 | KARJALA TOURNAMENT |
This link will work better.

http://stats.swehockey.se/start.htm

Old
11-07-2003, 06:17 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Hope you don't mind if I throw my 2 cents in since I obviously haven't seen Immonen play on a consistent basis. I only saw him play in the same game you did- preseason vs. Jokerit.

But judging from that game, the player he really reminded me of was Doug Gilmour. Not from his Leaf years, but let's say Gilmour from his Blackhawk days.

Similar looking skaters. Both can play wing or center. And both are better playmakers than scorers in that they can thread the puck through a needle. Although they still have the ability to put the puck in the net when given the opportunity.

But he really reminded me of Gilmour twice. Once when he deked out a defender one-on-one using that same head-fake that Gilmour loved.

The second time was when Immonen went into the corner and was right up against the boards digging for the puck with his feet- he looked just like Dougie.

Obviously though, if Immonen does make the NHL, he probably won't bring the intangibles that Dougie brought. I just thought it was an interesting comparison.

Old
11-07-2003, 04:52 PM
MOGiLNY

Send a message via MSN to MOGiLNY
I was reading about Antipov last night, and turns out he's tied for team lead in scoring with Kovalenko. The site also had an interview with him, and when they asked him about his consistency he said that he always gives his 100% or something like that..

I don't really care what he said about himself, but I do like the fact that whoever was interviewing him was of the opinion that he's a consistent player.

In the interview I think he also said that he's given up on the NHL...

Old
11-08-2003, 09:17 AM
miklu

FIN - CZE 5:1

Immonen 1+0 +2

A good match for Immonen and the whole Finnish team. Immonen scored the second goal which was a lucky one. Immonen got the puck after Czech defenseman confusion and shot a quick shot which the Czech goalie allowed easily. Anyway that was Jarkko's first national team goal!
Jarkko's line also made the fifth goal into which Jarkko gave a good pass, but got uncredited becouse of the rebound.

Old
11-09-2003, 08:36 AM
miklu

FIN - SWE 4:1

Jarkko Immonen 0+0

Another good game for Jarkko. In addition to other games looks like our head coach Raimo Summanen started to play Jarkko as an face-off expert. At least he got many important face-offs including the one that resulted the second goal on two men powerplay.

I didn't notice Alexander Streen through my blue-white glasses doing anything spectacular. Actually the whole Swedish team looked pretty weak. A couple of times Alexander got the puck but he was tackled and lost it.

Old
11-09-2003, 08:54 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Steen was OK, considering everybody else in the team were 5-10 years older and much more experienced I would say that he was the only one who was decent in this tournament. Finland played pretty good and could have won with more than just a 3 goal margin. Clearly the best team in Karjala Cup. I wonder how long IIHF will allow sweden to play the highest level Euro Hockey Tour tournaments, they have produced 5 goals in 6 games so far this year, I think they should bring up Switzerland or Germany instead until Sweden gets their act together. I hope Sundin and Forsberg continues to play for the national team till they turn 40, by the looks of things we certainly need them.

Old
11-09-2003, 08:55 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 2394
miklu,thanks for the reports and analysis on these games and the leafs prospects.Muchly appreciated.

Old
11-09-2003, 10:21 AM
eh

Send a message via ICQ to eh Send a message via MSN to eh Send a message via Yahoo to eh
Immonen was selected as the top forward of the tournament.

Old
11-09-2003, 11:43 AM
Kronblom

Quote:
Originally Posted by miklu
Actually the whole Swedish team looked pretty weak.
That´s a big understatement, two lousy goals in three games is just plain embarrassing by these so called stars from the SEL. Though the line with Per Svartvadet & Andreas Salomonsson did OK throughout the tournament, finishing off with a goal from Salomonsson in the last game.

Alexander Steen ended up on line with two older players who have played several years together, he wasn´t really "in the game" sometimes when the other two ran the show. Perhaps Alexander would have excelled more on a different line , he did show some promising play now and then despite zero points in three games.

It was definately not the last time this season that we will see him on the national team.

Old
11-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eh
Is that True..

Immonen selected top Forward......

Old
11-09-2003, 08:23 PM
miklu

Quote:
Originally Posted by eh
That's true: http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/uutiset.s...lkaisut/194215

All star line-up of the tournament selected by the press:

Fredrik Norrena
Petteri Nummelin-Marko Tuulola
Jarkko Immonen-Maksim Sushinski-Ville Peltonen

Point scorers:

1) Maksim Sushinski Venäjä 1+3=4,
2) Toni Dahlman Suomi 2+1=3,
3) Petteri Nummelin Suomi 2+1=3,
4) Jarkko Immonen Suomi 1+2=3,
5) Janne Laakkonen Suomi 1+2=3,

+/-:

1. Immonen Jarkko, Suomi 3 4 0 4
2. Dahlman Toni, Suomi 3 4 0 4
3. Pakaslahti Petri, Suomi 3 3 0 3
4. Hentunen Jukka, Suomi 3 3 0 3
5. Määttänen Pasi, Suomi 3 3 0 3

Old
11-13-2003, 09:43 AM
Padawan
Former power tripper

In case you're intrested... There's constantly updated (by me) Jarkko Immonen thread in Finland boards. I update it always after JYP's game so you could follow Jarkko Immonen's progress.

Click here if you're interested.

Old
11-14-2003, 03:44 PM
leafaholix*

Padawan, that's one of the few threads I check in on often.

You do a great job.

Old
11-14-2003, 03:50 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Padawan, that's one of the few threads I check in on often.

You do a great job.

Agreed. Really appreciate your efforts, Padawan!

Old
11-14-2003, 09:27 PM
Padawan
Former power tripper

It's not a big deal. I enjoy going to games and follow one of JYP's greatest players on the ice and it's no big task to briefly tell you guys what he has done. I really hope that you also like Jarkko's updated profile.

Old
11-15-2003, 12:39 PM
Red Horner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
John Ferguson, in a sense, will be getting back to his roots in the next few days.

The Maple Leafs general manager left for Finland yesterday for a scouting trip. He will take in the Karjala Cup, involving senior national teams from Finland, Russia, the Czech Republic and Sweden, and an under-20 event featuring clubs from the same four countries. A couple of Leafs picks -- Alexander Steen for Sweden and Jarkko Immonen for Finland -- will play in the Karjala Cup. Not only will Ferguson keep tabs on prospective Leafs, he'll get a look at undrafted prospects as well. Ferguson has been a scout for the Ottawa Senators and also did a lot of work in that department when he most recently was the St. Louis Blues' director of hockey operations.

"It's exciting because it provides me with a great base of knowledge," said Ferguson, who returns to Toronto on Monday. "It's a bonus. Obviously, I trust the people who work for us, but this will help."

Assistant GM Mike Penny also went overseas, as did director of amateur scouting Barry Trapp. Penny won't be back in Canada until Nov. 19, and he will make a pit stop in St. John's to watch a couple of Baby Leafs games.

"You rack up the frequent flier miles, but I can tell you, after a while the novelty wears off," Penny said of the long travel.
Hopefully Fergy will hire some scouts over there, one part timer covering Russia won't do it.

Closed Thread