HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carter for Suter??

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-03-2006, 02:27 PM
  #1
Ri hards
Registered User
 
Ri hards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,795
vCash: 500
Carter for Suter??

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...5&page=3&pp=25

Interesting, but I'd say no.

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 02:36 PM
  #2
RoDu
Registered User
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,606
vCash: 500
It would shore up a weak area but weaken a strong area, not worth it

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 03:33 PM
  #3
Tat2dRich
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Conshohocken, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Tat2dRich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus_the_Pig_Fetus
I've waited 21 years for another cup. I say don't trade away the future now. We saw glimpses of what carter will be and he will better than Gagne before his career is over,

Tat2dRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 04:05 PM
  #4
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 116,019
vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2dRich
I've waited 21 years for another cup. I say don't trade away the future now. We saw glimpses of what carter will be and he will better than Gagne before his career is over,

Ryan Suter would be part of the future. I think they were drafted in the same year. Don't think I'd do it.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 04:27 PM
  #5
MojoJojo
Registered User
 
MojoJojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
I made the suggestion. All fans have a tendency to overrate their own prospects and underrate others. Objectively, Carter and Suter are very close in terms of value and potential. We need mobile, talented defensemen badly. At center we have: Carter, Richards, Umberger, Potulny, Downie, Handzus, Forsberg, and Primeau. You have to give to get talent back. trading Umberger or Potulny will not get you a defenseman with nearly the same potential as Suter.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 05:03 PM
  #6
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
I made the suggestion. All fans have a tendency to overrate their own prospects and underrate others. Objectively, Carter and Suter are very close in terms of value and potential. We need mobile, talented defensemen badly. At center we have: Carter, Richards, Umberger, Potulny, Downie, Handzus, Forsberg, and Primeau. You have to give to get talent back. trading Umberger or Potulny will not get you a defenseman with nearly the same potential as Suter.
Havnt heard of Suter. Is he playing somewhere now, NHL team i mean?

As far as center goes we are good. If this guy is as good as thye say then it isnt worth giving up forward talent for. We have Pitkanen who will win the NOrris next year. No team really has two star defencemen. If we are gonna trade Carter(which we should) it should be for a furture star winger. I would LOVE to get Gaborick, but there is no way that Mini lets him walk, they are stupid if they do.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 05:26 PM
  #7
spudnick
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersphan
Havnt heard of Suter. Is he playing somewhere now, NHL team i mean?

As far as center goes we are good. If this guy is as good as thye say then it isnt worth giving up forward talent for. We have Pitkanen who will win the NOrris next year. No team really has two star defencemen. If we are gonna trade Carter(which we should) it should be for a furture star winger. I would LOVE to get Gaborick, but there is no way that Mini lets him walk, they are stupid if they do.
Mini would cream thier pants if we offered Carter for Gaborik straight up

spudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 05:31 PM
  #8
Coburnfan05
Registered User
 
Coburnfan05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SOB Southern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick
Mini would cream thier pants if we offered Carter for Gaborik straight up
We would have to offer up alot mor to get Gaborik.

Coburnfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 05:31 PM
  #9
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick
Mini would cream thier pants if we offered Carter for Gaborik straight up

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 06:40 PM
  #10
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus_the_Pig_Fetus
No thanks. We could certainly use Suter, but not at the expense of Carter.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 07:46 PM
  #11
Vman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Burnaby, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,251
vCash: 500
How about Umberger for Suter?

Vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 08:00 PM
  #12
Yertle The Turtle
Registered User
 
Yertle The Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Millville, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,225
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
I could do Umberger for Suter but I cant see The Preds doin it

Yertle The Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 08:06 PM
  #13
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 116,019
vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick
Mini would cream thier pants if we offered Carter for Gaborik straight up

They sure would....laughing about it

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 08:21 PM
  #14
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor
 
hbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,113
vCash: 500
Phoenix fan here.

We have a history of dealing with one another. Actually Clarke has a good history of making out very well in our transactions.

I'm going to throw out the name Paul Mara. He's likely available given the development of Michalek and Ballard. Phoenix would be looking for a forward but I'm not going to think for one second that Richards or Carter would be going the other way. I could envison something with Phlli's first rounder though.

and yes, Mara is one year away from being a UFA; however, max that it would likely take to lock him up long term is 3 million per year. Next year he's making 1.775 million against the cap. Not outrageous given that the cap is likely to increase.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 09:04 PM
  #15
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
Phoenix fan here.

We have a history of dealing with one another. Actually Clarke has a good history of making out very well in our transactions.

I'm going to throw out the name Paul Mara. He's likely available given the development of Michalek and Ballard. Phoenix would be looking for a forward but I'm not going to think for one second that Richards or Carter would be going the other way. I could envison something with Phlli's first rounder though.

and yes, Mara is one year away from being a UFA; however, max that it would likely take to lock him up long term is 3 million per year. Next year he's making 1.775 million against the cap. Not outrageous given that the cap is likely to increase.
Mara would be a great addition if Johnsson is not re-signed. However, I think we'd probably try to replace him through free agency as opposed to a trade. Like the thought process, though. A defensive corps with Pitkanen, Mara, and Meyer would be nice going into the future.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 09:07 PM
  #16
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor
 
hbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
Mara would be a great addition if Johnsson is not re-signed. However, I think we'd probably try to replace him through free agency as opposed to a trade. Like the thought process, though. A defensive corps with Pitkanen, Mara, and Meyer would be nice going into the future.

I think you can expect a bidding war for the limited supply of Top 2-3 that are available within this year's UFA class. This is why Phoenix "overpaid" to get Morris. You can never have enough top end d men and Phoenix is expecting to make a serious run with their new ownership to land a high profile D man themselves. This is another reason why Phoenix fans keep bringing up Mara's name for possible trade. Something for Flyer fans to keep in mind.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 10:16 PM
  #17
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersphan
Havnt heard of Suter. Is he playing somewhere now, NHL team i mean?

As far as center goes we are good. If this guy is as good as thye say then it isnt worth giving up forward talent for. We have Pitkanen who will win the NOrris next year. No team really has two star defencemen. If we are gonna trade Carter(which we should) it should be for a furture star winger. I would LOVE to get Gaborick, but there is no way that Mini lets him walk, they are stupid if they do.
Why should we trade Carter?? Cause he came up small as a rookie?

He can possibly be something we havent had since Lindros and still dont have. A nasty shot that can go in from anywhere.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 10:20 PM
  #18
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
People, stop trading the young guys. TB winning the cup and the way Buffalo played this year are perfect examples. Keep the young guys together and let them develop. Eventually you have a year where they all blossom at the same time and win something (TB). This team changes its roster every year, that is why we havent won anything. Tweak the roster for next year. Try to add 2 forwards and 2 dmen if possible. Take one more run at it with Forsberg, Primeau, Kapanen, etc. and if we dont get there next year get rid of everyone not named Carter, Richards, Umberger, Gagne, Handzus, Pitkanen, Meyer, Nitty, Eager, Downie, Potulny.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 10:33 PM
  #19
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersphan
Havnt heard of Suter. Is he playing somewhere now, NHL team i mean?
Ryan Suter was a 1st round pick in 2003 I beleive, around 6 or 7 overall. He will be a solid defensmen, and has played fine in Milwaukee, the Preds farmteam. he probably got some call ups this year.

My problem with trading Carter, is I always value offense over defense, ever since the 1985 Stanley Cup, when Edmonton's offense beat the Flyers top rated defense. I don't buy the defense wins championships, but it certainly helps.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 11:29 PM
  #20
MojoJojo
Registered User
 
MojoJojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
Look, this team has glaring needs. We have an abundance of centers both now and in the future, so if we want to shore up the defense or find a scoring Left wing, thats the position we will likely be trading. Provided we get an equally young and talented player back at a position we need, a trade makes sense. Carter would get us the most return of the young guys (Carter, Richards, Umberger, Downie, Potulny), and a guy like Suter or Hamhuis would give another franchise defenseman. Pitkanen is only one of six defensemen that suit up. With Desjardins probably gone, Johnson probably gone, Our D looks like Pitkanen, Rathje, Hatcher, Meyer, Gauthier. Thats not very good, and quality UFA's at this position will be very expensive.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 11:38 PM
  #21
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,140
vCash: 500
Potulny, Nedved, and Meyer for Mara and Devereaux?

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 11:49 PM
  #22
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
Potulny, Nedved, and Meyer for Mara and Devereaux?
For starters, no way Phoenix takes Nedved back.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 12:07 AM
  #23
flyersfan21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Levittown
Country: United States
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
Potulny, Nedved, and Meyer for Mara and Devereaux?
No way do you give up Potulny.
Definitely get rid of Neved.
Only get rid of Meyer if you bring in 2 better defensemen.

flyersfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 12:40 AM
  #24
nuckfan insk
Registered User
 
nuckfan insk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: saskatoon Sask
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfreak941
I could do Umberger for Suter but I cant see The Preds doin it
probably not but it should get you kevin klein http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=55337

he is a good prospect as good of a defensive one as umberger is as a forward.
klein would immediatly become your best d-man prospect.and could possibly be the #5 guy next season.
anyhow my 2 cents .........

nuckfan insk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 01:49 AM
  #25
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannoabram
probably not but it should get you kevin klein http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=55337

he is a good prospect as good of a defensive one as umberger is as a forward.
klein would immediatly become your best d-man prospect.and could possibly be the #5 guy next season.
anyhow my 2 cents .........
I would take Klein for RJ. I'm a bit of a homer because Klein played for the Guelph Storm, but he is one hell of a player. He's a very solid defenseman. His offensive game, from what I understand, is being held back in the AHL by the coach to progress his defensive game more, but the natural talent is there to be a great offensive d-man.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.