HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobby Clarke Press Conference on CSN

Old
05-04-2006, 10:09 AM
chthonic

vCash: 500
Bobby Clarke Press Conference on CSN

god damn it. he's already just blaming it on injuries.

then asked if they were built too slow/not for the new NHL. "well we were fine half way through the year, we didnt have any problems then."

did however talk about the defensive defensemen obsolete now and agreed that our D was too slow. asked about hatcher and rathje, he changed to say "maybe obsolete is too strong of a word." asked if they will remain our core, "i dont expect any changes happening there. rathje will be fine. you cant have all speed." will hatcher come back next year? "well he was pretty good in the playoffs" ?!?

now talking about johnsson being inconsistent and didnt sound optimistic about him returning next year.

asked about free agency: a couple kids (defense) on the phantoms that will have to "come along a littler quicker than we would have liked to."

"do you really have the prospects in the AHL to come up to shore up the problems?" .... NO!

did say: wont bring brashear back. wont bring savage back. team will "talk to" desjardins.

Last edited by chthonic: 05-04-2006 at 10:21 AM.
chthonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 10:15 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
He doesn't sound optimisitc because he doesn't know what is going on with him.

He seems pretty thrilled we got 100 points though

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by chthonic
now talking about johnsson being inconsistent and didnt sound optimistic about him returning next year.
not shocked.

take Johnsson's cash with Brashear's cash and you can have a VERY good dman filling in that spot... so not a huge deal. I'll be sad to see Johnsson go, as I liked his play a lot... but, yeah.

Pitkanen-Rathje
Meyer-Hatcher
Gauthier-UFA

7th dman...

I agree with Clarke on the sentiment that people are overlooking the fact that this team played very well the first half of the season... I also think, Rathje in particular, was perfectly fine prior to his hip ripping apart... Hatcher played well when he had Johnsson as his partner as well (aka a steady speedy dman)... just have to build correctly.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 10:19 AM
chthonic

yeah we were good when the new NHL was still finding its barings. once the league leveled out and the coaches/players figured it out, we fell to where a team built like ours should have. the same team wouldnt be so good in the beginning of next year.

Old
05-04-2006, 10:20 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Brashear and Savage will not be back according to Clarke.

He will talk to Desjardins.

Johnsson he won't do anything until he hears something from the doctors.

Some point within the next year, look for Esche or Niitty to be dealt (I'd say probably Esche)

He wants to bring in some 'younger players.' I don't know how much younger you want to get with some of the kids we have, and there is no one on the Phantoms ready for a full-time role with the Flyers.

Old
05-04-2006, 10:22 AM
chthonic

sounds like next season Esche or Niitty will be traded as they both deserve to be #1. but it wont happen during the summer.

Old
05-04-2006, 10:26 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
sounds like next season Esche or Niitty will be traded as they both deserve to be #1. but it wont happen during the summer.

If someone comes along with a good enough offer for Esche he'll take it

Old
05-04-2006, 10:27 AM
Jester

Quote:
yeah we were good when the new NHL was still finding its barings. once the league leveled out and the coaches/players figured it out, we fell to where a team built like ours should have. the same team wouldnt be so good in the beginning of next year.
i don't think this is necessarily true... the game calmed down considerably in the second half of the season. if this team "on paper" was going to get abused it was going to get abused during that first bit when it was extremely fast paced and hectic... it didn't. we got abused after half our team was injured... you cannot take the timeline of injuries away from the results on ice... we got injured and never recovered. were there some other factors that we did see in the beginning of the season (PK, poor clearing of the zone -- this wasn't a new problem against buffalo -- and so forth.)? yes. however, a complete dismantling should not be the approach that they take. this team had a 100 point season with a LOT of youth in the lineup... it should be better next year with the same players in the lineup... with some tweaking it can be even stronger.

Old
05-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
not shocked.

take Johnsson's cash with Brashear's cash and you can have a VERY good dman filling in that spot... so not a huge deal. I'll be sad to see Johnsson go, as I liked his play a lot... but, yeah.

Pitkanen-Rathje
Meyer-Hatcher
Gauthier-UFA

7th dman...

I agree with Clarke on the sentiment that people are overlooking the fact that this team played very well the first half of the season... I also think, Rathje in particular, was perfectly fine prior to his hip ripping apart... Hatcher played well when he had Johnsson as his partner as well (aka a steady speedy dman)... just have to build correctly.
LOL, unfortunately winning in Nov/Dec means absolutely nothing. It matters what you do at the end not the begining (note: NJ Devils).

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 10:30 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Nitty's upcoming contract will tell you everything about how the organization is viewing the situation. if it's 3 years or more they are DEFINITELY viewing him as the goalie of the future and Esche will be gone... if it is a 2 year deal, I think that tells you that they aren't sure and will look to see how it goes next year...

as stated in other threads... i'd rather one or the other get moved during the offseason and a veteran back-up be brought in to play 20 or so games and let whoever is here play the lion-share of the games and this be "his" team.

Old
05-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger
LOL, unfortunately winning in Nov/Dec means absolutely nothing. It matters what you do at the end not the begining (note: NJ Devils).
yes... but that was the only point in this season that we had anything resembling a healthy lineup. so, essentially, that's the only time we got to see our roster in action... and that was w/out Rico and portions of that without Pitkanen.

i think changes are necessary, but it's impossible to truly evaluate a team/players when 2 of your 6 dmen are playing on one leg, Handzus is playing with one arm (basically), etc...

teams that are that banged up don't win... that's how it goes. look at the Devils... outside of Elias they were very very healthy this year.

Old
05-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Broad st phantom

Quote:
hopefully someone does, but hopefully it doesnt work vice versa with nitty

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
I think it's more that the injuries finally caught up with this team.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Banger

Quote:
yes... but that was the only point in this season that we had anything resembling a healthy lineup. so, essentially, that's the only time we got to see our roster in action... and that was w/out Rico and portions of that without Pitkanen.

i think changes are necessary, but it's impossible to truly evaluate a team/players when 2 of your 6 dmen are playing on one leg, Handzus is playing with one arm (basically), etc...

teams that are that banged up don't win... that's how it goes. look at the Devils... outside of Elias they were very very healthy this year.
understood but that was essentially why we lost last year in the playoffs. Not sure what's in the water but the Flyers seem to get injured more than nearly all other teams....

Old
05-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Jester

Quote:
understood but that was essentially why we lost last year in the playoffs. Not sure what's in the water but the Flyers seem to get injured more than nearly all other teams....
we've had bad luck... but we were also one goal away from the cup finals in the last season played. it isn't all dark around here. this stuff happens, hopefully everyone will have operating joints next season...

Old
05-04-2006, 10:49 AM
GameFace247SON
@NHLonICE

Send a message via AIM to GameFace247SON
Quote:
Do the points at the end of the season count more towards the playoff standings than the points at the beginning? I must've missed that part of the rule book.

GameFace247SON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 11:08 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameFace247SON
Do the points at the end of the season count more towards the playoff standings than the points at the beginning? I must've missed that part of the rule book.

I don't know, let's ask teams in the west.

Old
05-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameFace247SON
Obviously not wise guy but despite a slow start the Dev's got hot at the end of the season and are still playing while the flyers are golfing again. It's not uncommon that the Flyers play their best hockey between Sept-Dec.

Old
05-04-2006, 11:23 AM
FlyersFanJS

Quote:
esche could potentially be part of a pcakage to jump up in the draft

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 11:26 AM
GameFace247SON
@NHLonICE

Send a message via AIM to GameFace247SON
Quote:
I don't know, let's ask teams in the west.
LOL, good point. I knew Detroit was soft, and their point total was terribly inflated since they played 3 of the worst teams in the league a combined 24 times. Dallas, well it's clear that Turco is playoff poison. Calgary lacks firepower and also plays Amonte at forward . Nashville lost their starter, and that's that.

I think it's possible that Rathje got injured just because he had to skate too much.

GameFace247SON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 11:45 AM
DXFlyers

So this probably means Picard is going to jump to the Flyers. Voce may get his shot to be in the 3rd or 4th line, and Martin Houle may be a Flyers backup quicker than he thought

DXFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 11:50 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1487
Where does Primeau fit in? This situation needs to be resolved one way or the other.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 12:15 PM
NJFlyer42

Quote:
Try telling that to Florida who was one of the better teams in the east the last 6-8 weeks of the season, but didn't make the playoffs because they were horrible at the beginning of the year.

NJFlyer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 12:24 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1487
The 2003-04 Flyers won just nine of their last 23 games but eventually made it to Game Seven of the Eastern Finals. It helps to go into the playoffs on a roll but it isn't always a deciding factor especially for round one. I'd rather have a hot team going into the playoffs, that is a given, but with this team I have felt all along that there was a negative atmosphere through most of the season due in large part to the injuries.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 12:28 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
not shocked.

Pitkanen-Rathje
Meyer-Hatcher
Gauthier-UFA

7th dman...

I agree on some points. Rathje was good before he got hurt, Hatcher too. THe d will be fine once we fill the holes. Injuries did scew us over also. We were great(top of the NHL) for a little while, injuries brought that down implicitly as well as explictly). If we statyed healthy we could have won the east. BUT in a playoff series we would have been exposed just the same by a faster team. When that faster team knows EXACTLY what they have to do to beat us. ITs happend the last two seasons. THe faster all out offence teams renders our team, even when heatly, helpless. We need to change the way that we atleast play defence, Hitch needs to develope a dfence thatstops speed teams. if he does that then he is the new Lemaire and hockey may get boring agian...but it will win teams cups.

TheKingPin is online now   Reply With Quote