Notices

Looking forward to next season ...

Old
05-04-2006, 12:39 PM
The Big E

vCash: 500
Looking forward to next season ...

FORWARDS

Gaborik, Rolston and Bouchard = top 3 point producers on the Wild. They should each approach about a point per game for the season.

O'Sullivan has the potential to join them and give us 4 legitimate scoring threats. I think he'll make the team (barring an injury) next fall. I think he'll have a decent season and post about 40 points. I hope he'll reach his potential as a PPG player within 3 or 4 years.

Wanvig & Henry - They are our bangers and crashers; every team needs them and they're replaceable parts. I'm assuming that Henry has no future on the Wild as a defenseman. However, if we can find a pair that can put a few more points on the board, they're history. If Foy can score more than Wanvig, so long Wanvig. If Pouliot has another great camp, so long Wanvig. Foy, sorry, but if Pouliot jumps the queue you'll have to wait for an injury to get a call-up. Every team's hope is that a banger & crasher develops into a power forward. Currently Pouliot is our best hope although Irmen is a possibility depending upon how he develops next year in Houston.

We need a UFA who can score from in front of the net. Currently, we have nobody. I mean I'll stand in front of the net with a flak jacket under my jersey for $400,000 a season, but I'm not going to score! We need to sign Mark Parrish or J.P. Dumont. I'm not sure of anybody else who is available and that type of player. Parrish is good for 30 goals but Dumont is a better skater although he may score fewer. I'd be happy with either one. Parrish is 29 and Dumont is 28, so they'd both have at least 5 years barring major injuries. The prospects in our system are Irmen and ... maybe Voloshenko? Living in MN, I haven't seen him play. I've read that he has a good shot, but is he willing to take the abuse in front of net? Does Pouliot? Maybe someone who has seen them play could comment.

I don't see the wild signing a speedy playmaker since we already have Bouchard and we're already lacking someone for him to set up. There are a number of excellent UFAs out there that we could likely afford ... Langenbrunner, Afinogenov, Hecht, Samsonov and Petr Sykora are examples. Great players. Love to have them. Can't imagine Riseborough actually signing any of them.

Koivu - Ah! The elusive Mouse. He's obviously a good fit for Lemaire's system in that he's defensively responsible. He shows flashes of his offensive talent. Lemaire uses him on penalty shots says a lot about what he thinks about Mikku. Can he break 30 points next season? God, I hope so. I want to see him succeed, but fear he won't. I think his point max is 50 points ... I hope he can reach it for the Wild.

Robitaille and White - they're solid players. We can count on them for 40 points, maybe 50 if the team gets hot.

Walz - we don't rely on him for points, but to shut down the opposition. Whatever he chips in is gravy.

Vielleux - He's Walz's apprentice. Hopefully, when Walz hangs up his skates, Vielleux will take over for him. Hopefully, he has a better year next year. I like his speed and energy. He and Walz keep Gabbie as the third fastest player on the Wild.

Boogaard - will continue to improve his skating over the summer. He's an awesome enforcer. Hopefully, he'll be able to read the game better and can add the Banger & Crasher duties to his undisputed heavyweight role.

Dupuis - see ya

Chouinard - see ya

Westrum - sorry ... would have loved a Minnesotan on the roster but you didn't produce.

Voloshenko - we could use another sniper. Rolston and Gaborik could use a third gun. I don't see him fitting in at the start of the season. However, injuries and scoring droughts could force Riseborough to call him up.

DEFENSE

Defense is an interesting situation. We've got a decent group of defensemen, but lack a vicious edge. Our D doesn't scare anyone and aside from Foster aren't scoring threats. I hope we sign a UFA defensemen who will bring a mean edge at least. However, I think it's more likely that we'll sign a D-man with some offensive flair. There are quite a few out there and they're going to be pretty expensive. However, we've got lots of cap room and a very healthy bottom line.

Skoula and Burns - played together a lot. Burns looked really good, I hope he starts putting up some points. Skoula's a good skater, is quite experienced despite only being 26 and I think Ramsey & Lemaire will groom him into a defensive force like they did with Willie Mitchell. Unless we sign a top-class UFA D-man, this is our top pairing.

Foster - He will improve both defensively and offensively next year. I hope his plus-minus improves and I'm sure his point totals will hit 40. He'll be on the powerplay all year.

Schultz - He's still young and will now have to step up now that Mitchell is gone. He reads the game well defensively. Hopefully, he starts the next season faster than he usually does.

Kuba - I really don't know what to do about/with Kuba. He might bounce back from the crap year he had this year. He might not. When he's on his game, he's good for 40 points and maybe even 50 if the team heats up. With only Burns and Schultz willing to hit anyone, we might not resign him if we get a UFA who has a mean streak. Then again ... if we don't sign Zyusin ... and add a UFA D-man with a mean streak, it'd probably be good for the team. Another scenario in which we don't sign him is we pick up two UFA D-men.

Tjarnqvist - he's signed for next year so he's here to stay unless we trade him.

Zyusin - I think he's history. Skoula, Schultz and Kuba can log lots of minutes. Add in a free agent and increase Burnsie's minutes and there's no room on the bench for Zyusin. Zyusin has never delivered on the offensive potential he should have. Too bad.

Henry - see ya.

UFAs - I don't think the Wild will join in the auctions for Redden, Chara, McCabe, Jovanovski or Kubina. Not that they wouldn't be awesome for the team. I think we'll look at other guys like:

Ruslan Salei (ANA)
+ Big hitter
- suspensions, little offensive ability

Karlis Skrastins (COL)
+ awesome shotblocker
- not so fast, no offense

Joe Corvo (LA)
+ only 28, big enough, good offense
- has yet to put it all together, not physical (sounds like a Wild D-Man to me, eh?)

Danny Markov (NASH)
+ good skater, passer, big hitter
- injures himself w/ aggressive style

Zidlicky (NASH)
+ LOTS of offense
- smaller, not at all physical

I don't think any defensemen with the Aeros are ready for prime time. If any are, it's probably Reitz since he got a call up late in the year. I assume that Belle is a year or two away as is Stoner. I know Thelen is a few years away. Maybe someone will have an awesome camp and force themselves onto the roster.

SUMMARY

It seems to me that overall we're getting closer and closer to a really solid defensive team with some offensive flair ... the 21st century version of the mid-70s Habs which so many people in the organization were a part of. I'm so excited to see who Riseborough signs this summer.

The Big E

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 02:43 PM
WILDTATE10

vCash: 50
I agree.

WILDTATE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 02:49 PM
The Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTATE10
your only expecting 40 points out of Sully?
assuming that he plays on a line with Gaborik and Walz he could get or near 30 goals. I want a similar year to Tomas Vaneks.
Yea ... I'd be happy with 40 points from O'Surly. Of course, I'd love it if he'd do better ... I just don't want to set my expectations too high. You think he'd be on a line with Walz and Gabbie? I wonder if Lemaire would let two guys not known for paying attention defensively play together on the same line ... even with Walz in between them ... hmmmm ... it would be pretty exciting if it works out that way, wouldn't it?

The Big E

Old
05-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
I don't think the Wild couldn't afford to go after one of the premium d'men out there, they're rolling in it. The free agents might not want to come here, or the Wild may choose not to pursue them, but they can afford it.

I agree mainly with ya Big E, but I think the Wild would be more interested in retaining Chouinard than Robataille.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 05:19 PM
WILDTATE10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big E
Yea ... I'd be happy with 40 points from O'Surly. Of course, I'd love it if he'd do better ... I just don't want to set my expectations too high. You think he'd be on a line with Walz and Gabbie? I wonder if Lemaire would let two guys not known for paying attention defensively play together on the same line ... even with Walz in between them ... hmmmm ... it would be pretty exciting if it works out that way, wouldn't it?

The Big E
Forget that post after looking at Vaneks stats I realize that 40's good enough. I changed it now.

Old
05-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Wild Bill

First off, good work on the breakdowns E. I wish I had the time and motivation to do the same. Kudos to ya.

Hard to disagree with much of what you said, although I will say that the turnover alot of us are looking for prolly is still a little ways off, meaning the spending we'd need to bring in a big, gutty forward or top d-man might be pushed back yet another year. It's too bad because the impact that just two guys could make could be the difference between playoffs and lottery drafting.

It's safe to say that Sully will be a big infusion of skill and talent and a much needed one at that. I expect alot from him, but I fear that management might put too much pressure on him to perform by not adding other talented players around him. 40-50 pts should be a breeze playing on one of the top 2 lines.

I'd love to see the Dupuis' and Robituss' gone although I hope not replaced by other career AHL/NHL 'tweeners (see Dean McAmmond).

I'm still holding out hope for Kubina...could be right in our range...might need to overpay though. Skrastins and Salei might be a bit more sought after than some think...same goes for Jay McKee...3-4mil might be too much for the frugal Wild minds in management.

Here's to hoping that some turnover is what we get because the playoff hockey I've been watching has been much more exciting to watch than the clock leading up to the draft...

Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 08:54 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

I am excited as hell...although I cant watch any FUKKING PLAYOFF HOCKEY because my cable carrier doesnt have freakin OLN

here's my interpretation...of the situation.

Forwards:
Rolston
Gaborik...he resigns for a long term deal. which means he'll suck *** this next year, that damn curse.
Bouchard...only gonna get better.
White
Koivu...you'll see more than 21 points next year.
O'Surly...ready for primetime viewing
Walz...his swan song
Veillieux...the quintessential role player, becoming a cult favorite
Foy...good bye Wanvig.
Boogaard...for entertainment
Weinhandl
FA signing/Pouliot
FA signing

Defense:
Burns...finally a full year on the blueline
Skoula
FA signing
Tqarnvist
Foster
Reitz/Stoner/Stokes...someone from houston basically
FA signing, probably a 4-6 type D

Manny
Harding

ladies and gents, your 06-07 Wild

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 09:35 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO
I am excited as hell...although I cant watch any FUKKING PLAYOFF HOCKEY because my cable carrier doesnt have freakin OLN

here's my interpretation...of the situation.

Forwards:
Rolston
Gaborik...he resigns for a long term deal. which means he'll suck *** this next year, that damn curse.
Bouchard...only gonna get better.
White
Koivu...you'll see more than 21 points next year.
O'Surly...ready for primetime viewing
Walz...his swan song
Veillieux...the quintessential role player, becoming a cult favorite
Foy...good bye Wanvig.
Boogaard...for entertainment
Weinhandl
FA signing/Pouliot
FA signing

Defense:
Burns...finally a full year on the blueline
Skoula
FA signing
Tqarnvist
Foster
Reitz/Stoner/Stokes...someone from houston basically
FA signing, probably a 4-6 type D

Manny
Harding

ladies and gents, your 06-07 Wild

The only thing I'd change about your list is that I'd probably squeeze Voloshenko in there as the pressbox guy/21st man. Wanvig would have to have a hell of camp to save his job, and I don't see Pouliot making the team this year. I'd much rather have him spend a year in Houston than watching the games from the attic.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 10:40 PM
sushinsky4tsar

I think Voloshenko starts the season in Houston. O'Sullivan should be the only new young gun to make the roster. Foy prob. too if you want to count him.

07/08 should be an interesting year. O'Sullivan should start to show a consistent scorer's flash. Pouliot and Voloshenko should begin their NHL campaigns. Irmen and Thelen may very well kick off their careers as well.

What's the deal with Belle and Stoner? I've heard they've struggled down the stretch in Houston? Those were two guys I initially thought had a shot at making next year's team as a 6/7th dmen.

sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 11:47 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Minnesota cannot afford not to make a splash in free agency this year. I think if we don't get some talent, yes better talent then Rolston, I think Gaborik is gone to another team.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 09:01 AM
The Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet E. Sax
First off, good work on the breakdowns E. I wish I had the time and motivation to do the same. Kudos to ya.
Ya ... works been a little slow. Had some time to do a little analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
I think the Wild would be more interested in retaining Chouinard than Robataille.
So ... what's your argument for Chouinard over Robataille?

Quote:
I'd love to see the Dupuis' and Robituss' gone although I hope not replaced by other career AHL/NHL 'tweeners (see Dean McAmmond).
Why no love in this forum for Robataille? I'm curious.

I also share your fears that Riseborough and Lemaire will bring in some mediocre talent who are just filler until a prospect develops or attempt another couple reclamation projects next year rather than getting established talent. Of course, its great when reclamation projects works out, but ...

Furthermore along these same lines ... when will we be at a stage where we just need a few pieces to the playoff puzzle. DR has been on record stating that when that time arises, he'll buy what we need. I think we're pretty close.

Quote:
I'm still holding out hope for Kubina...could be right in our range...might need to overpay though. Skrastins and Salei might be a bit more sought after than some think...same goes for Jay McKee...3-4mil might be too much for the frugal Wild minds in management.
Kubina would rock, I'm totally with ya. I just don't want to set my sights on him or Redden and them have my hope's dashed because he'd be making triple what any other player on the team would make. I've never been that impressed with Jay McKee ... what's your argument for him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO
Dude, that sux. Move?

No White or Robataille in your list? Let me guess ... you're also in the no-love-for-Robataille crowd? What about Schultz? Once more, just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobieDoobieDo
Minnesota cannot afford not to make a splash in free agency this year. I think if we don't get some talent, yes better talent then Rolston, I think Gaborik is gone to another team.
Once more you've nailed the issue squarely. We must show Gaborik that he won't be languishing in MN when he could be challenging for the Cup elsewhere. That gives me more hope that DR will sign two good UFAs.

Old
05-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Bookman

Quote:
Here's to hoping that some turnover is what we get because the playoff hockey I've been watching has been much more exciting to watch than the clock leading up to the draft...

Quote of the year!

Old
05-05-2006, 09:47 AM
Bookman

Quote:

So ... what's your argument for Chouinard over Robataille?
Robitaile is a one-dimensional player, and a marginal one at that. Chouinard offers almost as much offense, and is one of the better face off guys in the NHL.

The Wild's top line wings next season are Rolston, Gaborik, Bouchard and O'Sullivan, and hopefully Parrish or someone like that.

Robitaille doesn't have enough grind to play on the other lines, and his offense is no longer top line material.

Old
05-05-2006, 01:25 PM
The Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
Robitaile is a one-dimensional player, and a marginal one at that. Chouinard offers almost as much offense, and is one of the better face off guys in the NHL.
Robitaille doesn't have enough grind to play on the other lines, and his offense is no longer top line material.
Man it's a pain to find face-off info. ESPN, TSN and Yahoo don't track it. Finally found face-off stats stats at proicehockey.com:

Chouinard - 574 won, 515 lost, 52.7%
Robitaille - 196 won, 185 lost, 51.4%
White - 435 won, 451 lost, 49.1%
Koivu - 343 won, 381 lost, 47.4%
Walz - 525 won, 594 lost 46.9%
Rolston - 187 won, 216 lost, 46.4%

Chouinard was ranked 25th in face-off percentage in the NHL. While Robitaille put up 40 points, Chouinard put up 30. Chouinard increased his output by 9 this season. If he can accumulate 40 points next season which isn't an improbable increase, I'd definitely let Robitaille go. Chouinard is definitely more effective as a forechecker than Robitaille, i.e., he's a bigger dude.

As I remember it, whenever the Wild had an important face-off late in the game, Walz took the face-off. Despite his lower FW% stat.

I also just noticed that Wanvig is a Group III free agent. I think that he's gone and Foy or Pouliot will take his spot.

The Big E

Old
05-05-2006, 03:24 PM
WILDTATE10

My guess for our lines next year:

Gaborik Walz O'Sullivan
Parrish Rolston PMB
langenbrunner Koivu Foy
Boogard Robitallie Vellieux

Kuba Foster
Skoula Burns
Schullts Skrastines

Manny
Harding

The Wild sign FA Parrish, Langenbrunner and Skrastines.

Old
05-05-2006, 04:18 PM
ceber

I think Manny Fernandez, Brian Rolston, Martin Skoula, Todd White, Wes Walz, Nick Schultz, Mattias Weinhandl, and Stephane Veilleux.
have contracts for next year, right? Any other info?

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 06:01 PM
The Big E

Quote:
My guess for our lines next year:

Gaborik Walz O'Sullivan
Parrish Rolston PMB
langenbrunner Koivu Foy
Boogard Robitallie Vellieux

Kuba Foster
Skoula Burns
Schullts Skrastines

Manny
Harding

The Wild sign FA Parrish, Langenbrunner and Skrastines.
Ooohhh! That'd be sweet. Langenbrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
I think Manny Fernandez, Brian Rolston, Martin Skoula, Todd White, Wes Walz, Nick Schultz, Mattias Weinhandl, and Stephane Veilleux.
have contracts for next year, right? Any other info?
Bouchard, Burns, Boogaard, Foster, Koivu and Harding are still under their rookie contracts. Assuming O'Sullivan makes the team, he's under his rookie contract still. We signed Tjarnqvist until June 2007, I think.

2006-2007 Salary (some are guesses, eg, Gaborik new contract signed in September '06)
Manny Fernandez $4,300,000
Brian Rolston $2,600,000
Martin Skoula $1,525,000
Todd White $1,475,000
Wes Walz $1,444,000
Nick Schultz $978,500
Mattias Weinhandl $700,000
Stephane Veilleux $546,700
Marion Gaborik $5,000,000
Brent Burns $1,000,000
Pierre Marc Bouchard $950,000
Mikko Koivu $900,000
Derek Boogaard $500,000
Kurtis Foster $500,000
Daniel Tjarnqvist $700,000
Josh Harding $750,000
Patrick O'Sullivan $700,000

$24,569,200

I'm thinkin' we're 18-22M under the cap. We should be able to get Parrish for under 2M, I figure we pay 3-5M for our UFA blueline signing, I'm thinking Langenbrunner would sign for 2.5-3M. That's still under 10M and we're still plenty under the cap.

The Big E

Old
05-05-2006, 06:56 PM
WILDTATE10

Quote:
Ooohhh! That'd be sweet. Langenbrunner

The Big E
Yea and there more realistic.

Old
05-06-2006, 01:11 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Bouchard signed a one year deal last year. If I'm not mistaken Harding is up for a contract too.

Actually here's a list of all the type II contracts we need to sign and my take on them.

Derek Boogaard, - Definitely resign, lock up for a couple years
Pierre-Marc Bouchard - Resign and lock up for a couple years
Brent Burns - Lock up for a couple years
Pascal Dupuis - Trade
Kurtis Foster - Sign for one year
Matt Foy - Sign and lock up for a couple years
Marian Gaborik - Sign and lock him up for a long time
Josh Harding - Sign and lock up for a couple years
Chris Heid - Release
Alex Henry - Sign a one year deal
Mikko Koivu - Sign and lock up for a couple years
Eric Reitz - Sign for a year
Nick Schultz - Trade
Ryan Stokes - Sign for a year
Daniel Tjarnqvist - Sign for a year

And the rest:

Marc Chouinard - Sign for a year
Alexander Daigle - Release
Scott Ferguson - Release
Ray Giroux - Isn't on the team
Filip Kuba - Sign for a year
Kirby Law - Sign for a couple years, in the AHL but up his contract
Curtis Murphy - Sign for a couple years in the AHL but up his contract
Andrei Nazarov - Dump his lazy *** faster than a one night hooker
Randy Robitaille - Sign for a year
Andrei Zyuzin - Release

Joey Tetarenko - Sign for a year
Rikard Wallin - Gone
Kyle Wanvig - Release
Eric Westrum - He's gone, like Hoggan and Cullen (who is doing good mind you)
Dustin Wood - Release (wonderful trade you idiots!)

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 03:07 AM
sushinsky4tsar

Quote:
Yea and there more realistic.
Sadly, I think you might be right. I like Langenbrunner. I like Parrish. They're nice hockey players. Nevertheless, those 2 alone plus a next tier d-man isn't going to do it for me.

If this organization wants my trust, they have to score 3.5 points this offseason:

2.5 points: Redden, Chara, Elias
1.8 points: Jovanovski, Arnott
1.7 points: Sykora, Savard, Carter, McCabe
1.5 points: Kubina, Samsonov, Sillinger
1.0 point: Mitchell, Witt, Langenbrunner, Parrish, Halpern
0.6 points: adding anyone else remotely capable of centering Gaborik
0.4 points: any o/ obvious upgrade over guys like Chouinard, Robitaille, Wanveux

Last edited by sushinsky4tsar: 05-06-2006 at 03:13 AM.
Old
05-06-2006, 03:11 AM
Chrisd

I don't think you'll get your 3.5 pts...more likely around 2-2.5

Chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 03:21 AM
sushinsky4tsar

i think you're prob. right.

i also think I will prob. cut down on the single game tix next year.

i also think I will prob. wait and see for another year as to whether I want to commit to the warming house with a few friends.

But hey, one person isn't going to break them.

Old
05-06-2006, 09:53 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Dude, that sux. Move?

No White or Robataille in your list? Let me guess ... you're also in the no-love-for-Robataille crowd? What about Schultz? Once more, just curious.

F mediacom.

I thought I put White in there...I forgot schultz I think Schultzy will be alot more physical next year.

Robitaille will be a late summer decision...he can provide some offense tho.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 11:52 AM
elnino724

Here it is

under contract: Walz, Rolston, White, Vellieux, Weinhandl, Skoula, Schultz, and Fernandez

RFA: Gaborik, Bouchard, Koivu, Dupuis, Boogaard, Foy, Henry, Burns, Foster, and Harding

UFA: Chouinard, Robitaile, Wanvig, Westrum, Kuba, Zyuzin, and Tjarnqvist

How it will look next year:

O'Sullivan-Sillinger-Gaborik
Rolston-White-Bouchard
Vellieux-Walz-Parrish
Boogaard-Koivu-Foy
ex. Weinhandl/Robitaille or lower level FA centreman

Chara-Burns
Skoula-Schultz
McKee-Foster
ex. Reitz/lower level FA

Fernandez
Harding

Last edited by elnino724: 05-06-2006 at 12:00 PM.
elnino724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Kubina would rock, I'm totally with ya. I just don't want to set my sights on him or Redden and them have my hope's dashed because he'd be making triple what any other player on the team would make. I've never been that impressed with Jay McKee ... what's your argument for him?
Big, strong, does the little things. Can chip in some offensively...mostly a penalty killer...another heart and soul guy. Kinda Willie Mitchell-like from what little I've seen. Here's a tidbit on him:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...e=NHLHeadlines

Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote