HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Flyers were hot

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2003, 11:04 AM
orcatown

vCash: 500
Flyers were hot

I know there is going to be a lot of hand-wringing and scapegoating in Toronto but the Flyers played a simply terrific game. From the goaltender out they were excellent. Sometimes the other team just comes up with one of those games and you look like crap.

Toronto is not as bad as Phily made them look and, I hope, the Flyers are not as good.

What the game did reveal is that a team on top of their forechecking game can expose some of the Maple leaf defenseman. I thought Berg and Jackman, in particular, were not able to adjust to the hard forecheck. Also some of the centers need to provide more help in the down low coverage in theri own end.

Yet Toronto had their chances. However Esche was hot and Toronto didn't get the bounces.

Its a long season and Toronto's personal is too good for them to go through many more lambastings like last night.

Old
11-02-2003, 12:20 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
It's like all Leaf fans leaving in this dream world.

Quote:
Toronto is not as bad as Phily made them look and, I hope, the Flyers are not as good.
Well, let's see 2 old guys in Joe and Gary. Where were they last night? Nolan is playing with a bad back. Sundin was invisible and even Alexander the great couldn't help them last night. Their defense is horrible. It always has been.

The Flyers, you have a line with Roenick-Amonte-Recchi and Recchi is up there in goals, Tony has found his scoring touch again and JR is solid as usual. Then you have Williams (the kid is awesome), Handzus (one of the best trades we ever get) and Leclair who are all playing great. Kapanen and Primeau make up a great checking line and more power will be added with Brash returning. Also more scoring will be back with Somik. We have the second coming of Niklas Lidstrom in Pitkanen. Also have Eric Desjardins, Weinrich, Johnsson on defense. Esche has been solid. We let a close one slip away on Thursday against the Debbies and last night we made sure that didn't happen again. TOR will be lucky to make the playoffs this year.

Old
11-02-2003, 01:03 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
It's like all Leaf fans leaving in this dream world.
I'm pretty sure with a name like orca he's a canuck fan!
There just aren't many inland whales left

Probly killed off by all those damn mountain sharks. :moon:

Old
11-02-2003, 02:17 PM
Stephen

Quote:
We have the second coming of Niklas Lidstrom in Pitkanen.
Just like you had the second coming of god in Eric Lindros...

I like how a Flyers fan is making fun of the Leafs for having old guys. John Leclair isn't too fresh himself. Just a matter of time before he misses 30 games to a back injury. I'm glad Tony Amonte's found his scoring touch, I guess you'll have something nice to think back on when he's shut down in the playoffs.

Old
11-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Pontifex Maximus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen

I like how a Flyers fan is making fun of the Leafs for having old guys. John Leclair isn't too fresh himself. Just a matter of time before he misses 30 games to a back injury. I'm glad Tony Amonte's found his scoring touch, I guess you'll have something nice to think back on when he's shut down in the playoffs.
Who's the chick in your avatar?

Old
11-02-2003, 02:40 PM
Pontifex Maximus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen

Who's the chick in your avatar?

Old
11-03-2003, 03:29 AM
swflyers8*

Quote:
This kid is going to be better than Lindros. He is solid defensively and can produce offensively. This kid is faking guys out of their jocks left and right. I think he is second in points for all rookies.

Quote:
I like how a Flyers fan is making fun of the Leafs for having old guys. John Leclair isn't too fresh himself. Just a matter of time before he misses 30 games to a back injury.
Am I boasting about John Leclair? No, I said he was playing on the third line and he has been injury plagued throughout the past few years. However, when he is in his office (in front of the goalie) he is virtually unmovable. He can still knock guys on their butts and he is still scoring goals. Every one of our lines is scoring. Furthermore, if he does go down we already have guys that can fill his spot. On Saturday, we had everyone except Somik and Brashear playing. When Donald returns, the enforcer will be back and Somik's scoring will return. We are one of the deepest teams in the league. I'm not just saying it because I think that we are, people have said that we are.

Quote:
I'm glad Tony Amonte's found his scoring touch, I guess you'll have something nice to think back on when he's shut down in the playoffs.
Well, at least the Flyers will make the playoffs this year. Can't say the same about the Leafs. Amonte just needed time to adjust to Hitch's system, I'd say he is doing great. Six different people scored. Sami scored twice. Let's look at who has scored for the Flyers this season: JR, Amonte, Recchi, Leclair, Williams, Handzus, Gagne, Primeau, Kapanen, Lapointe, Chouinard and the only guy that hasn't scored is Fedoruk and he is out there for checking not scoring. Our only problem is goaltending but Esche is turning out to be a decent goalie.

Old
11-03-2003, 05:18 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Yay! Let's here it for the fan of the team that's a whole whopping 1 point ahead. :moon:

Old
11-03-2003, 05:23 AM
swflyers8*

Quote:
Yay! Let's here it for the fan of the team that's a whole whopping 1 point ahead
Let's see, two points ahead of Jersey in our division which is all the matters right now. I would venture to say that the Conference standings don't mean squat being that we are only 10-11 games into the season. Furthermore, the difference will be more than one point if the Leafs keep playing the way they did against us. They will be lucky to make the playoffs this year.

7-1 That has to hurt....LET'S GO FLYERS!

Old
11-03-2003, 05:49 AM
Dar

Hope you're not in any hockey pool. Toronto will make the playoffs and finish most likely second in our division. Not our fault our division has the best team in the East. Yeah 7-1 wasn't too pleasant but don't count on the same results next time around.

Out of curiousity, who's your starting goalie again?

Old
11-03-2003, 06:59 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Hope you're not in any hockey pool. Toronto will make the playoffs and finish most likely second in our division. Not our fault our division has the best team in the East. Yeah 7-1 wasn't too pleasant but don't count on the same results next time around.

, we may not be playing great right now, but saying we will not make the playoffs is riduculous

Old
11-03-2003, 07:15 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar

IMO Esche will be the starting goalie come playoff time.

Old
11-03-2003, 07:23 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
This kid is going to be better than Lindros.

Old
11-03-2003, 08:20 AM
swflyers8*

Quote:
As a matter of fact, I am in a hockey poll and guess what my rank is?
#1. So I must know the game of hockey if I'm top of the pool:

C Roenick, Jeremy (C-Phi)
C Handzus, Michal (C-Phi)
C Morrison, Brendan (C-Van)
LW Smyth, Ryan (LW-Edm)
LW Morrow, Brenden (LW-Dal)
RW St. Louis, Martin (RW-TB)
RW Bondra, Peter (RW-Was)
D Lidstrom, Nicklas (D-Det)
D Blake, Rob (D-Col)
D Gonchar, Sergei (D-Was)
D Markov, Andrei (D-Mon)
Bench Lemieux, Mario (C-Pit)
Bench Nolan, Owen (RW-Tor) <--I always keep this scrub on the bench.

I'm not sure you will make the playoffs this year. Your defense is worse than it was in the playoffs. Marchment, what a big boost he has been. Same with Berg. Kaberle is the only decent defenseman you have. McCabe hasn't gotten rid of the rust from his operation. Therefore, Eddie the Eagle has no help. No wonder he is complaining about all the traffic in front of him. Your defense is non-existent. Then you have your forwards. Roberts, I think he played 20 regular season games this year. Saturday, it was like he wasn't even there along with Sundin, Joe N, Nolan and Stajan among others. It was like the Flyers vs Eddie because your guys weren't even in the game. Nolan, great acquistion there, guy hasn't done diddly since he arrived in TOR. It's like all the old vets went to come to TOR and finish out thier careers there. That isn't going to help you guys get any closer to a Cup. When Darcy Tucker is doing a lot of scoring, you know you are in trouble when guys like Sundin, Almo, Nolan and all the others aren't scoring. I'm actually surprised that you beat the Canes yesterday.

Quote:
We don't have a starting goalie as of right now. But, would you look at this:

1 J. McLennan, CGY 7 5 2 0 1.37 9 111 .925 120 2
2 P. Lalime, OTT 8 5 2 1 1.61 13 194 .937 207 1
3 Rick DiPietro, NYI 7 3 2 1 1.66 11 123 .918 134 1
4 Robert Esche, PHI 5 3 1 1 1.78 9 107 .922 116 1 <---I'll take that.

Hacket has a 2.44GAA which isn't too bad either. He has been playing well and is still adjusting to Hitch's system. The Eagle is six places behind Hackett on the ESPN stats page. So, I would say that our goalies are doing just fine thank you. Only two losses, 1 OT loss, not too bad at all. In regards to Joni, this kid is the complete package. He plays great defense, he can take guys right off the puck, he can handle the puck great and he can join the rush. He also comes in from the point when need be and creates scoring chances. I think he faked Sundin right out of his skates with one move he did Saturday night.
The kid is the future of the Flyers along with Williams, Gagne, Zeus, Somik, Vandy and few other young studs on the Phantoms.

Old
11-03-2003, 08:25 AM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto80
, we may not be playing great right now, but saying we will not make the playoffs is riduculous
Ridiculous is a bit far fetched, there are never any guarantess on any team making it, and in the EAST, there are hungry teams projected to rank 9-16 who can easily claim spots. The Rangers, Thrashers and Sabres are all playing better than Toronto so I wouldn't be too confident. And implying that the Leafs will finish second in your division is ridiculous. With Boston and Ottawa taking the top 2, they'll be battling for third with Buffalo. It's good to have pride but try to think reality as well.

Old
11-03-2003, 08:58 AM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
Ridiculous is a bit far fetched, there are never any guarantess on any team making it, and in the EAST, there are hungry teams projected to rank 9-16 who can easily claim spots. The Rangers, Thrashers and Sabres are all playing better than Toronto so I wouldn't be too confident. And implying that the Leafs will finish second in your division is ridiculous. With Boston and Ottawa taking the top 2, they'll be battling for third with Buffalo. It's good to have pride but try to think reality as well.
How do you figure the Rangers are playing better? Both teams have relatively similar records. The Bruins will not finish in second place above Toronto and I can say that with the same confidence in you saying Philly will make the playoffs. Neither is a sure thing, but generally expected. Boston had the same start last year and no one was expecting to catch them even around Christmas (Quinn even went on record in an interview to say so much). Judging a team by the first portion of the scehdule is a poor form of evaluation, hell by those standards Tampa's on pace to be unbeaten and finish with 153 points.

Old
11-03-2003, 09:04 AM
swflyers8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
How do you figure the Rangers are playing better? Both teams have relatively similar records. The Bruins will not finish in second place above Toronto and I can say that with the same confidence in you saying Philly will make the playoffs. Neither is a sure thing, but generally expected. Boston had the same start last year and no one was expecting to catch them even around Christmas (Quinn even went on record in an interview to say so much). Judging a team by the first portion of the scehdule is a poor form of evaluation, hell by those standards Tampa's on pace to be unbeaten and finish with 153 points.

For once, Boston is not falling apart. They are playing well and Thornton is pulling it all together. They have a solid defense core, not great but solid. Ottawa will have the top spot followed by the Bruins. You're playing horrible now, you usually wait until the end of the season to do it. TOR, MTL and BUF will be battling for spots when the playoffs roll around. With no defense, your goalie is going to think he's in a shooting gallery.

Old
11-03-2003, 09:15 AM
Dar

Time will tell my S.O.B. friend. Methinks you won't want me to bookmark this so that when realization kicks in and Esche realizes he's in over his head and Hackett steps in to save the day (hehe) whilst the TO team turns it around as they have so in seasons past (they've had substantial slumps in each of the last four years, although a game above .500 looks pretty good compared to those times) I'll be pulling you out from the corner your hiding in to say nothing more than...."ahem?"

Old
11-03-2003, 10:23 AM
Mizral

Orcatown is actually a Canuck fan.

However, I have to agree. Philidelphia is the team to beat in the East this year, I firmly believe that. Esche is a lot better than even Flyers fans think. Hackett isn't bad either, so they'd got a good tandem going. Clarke will pick up a good defenseman too fairly soon (I'm betting Hamrlik or perhaps Rathje), and get some real stability back there, and give guys like Johnsson less icetime, when it's obvious they start to falter with too much.

Ottawa is given many of the acolades, but I feel Philidelphia will be heading to the SCF's this year. Will they win? Doubt it, but you never know!

The Leafs will still make the playoffs though. The only possible way they could miss is if the guy they bring in to replace Quinn in the next couple weeks turns out to be even worse.

Old
11-03-2003, 10:37 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Orcatown is actually a Canuck fan.

However, I have to agree. Philidelphia is the team to beat in the East this year, I firmly believe that. Esche is a lot better than even Flyers fans think. Hackett isn't bad either, so they'd got a good tandem going. Clarke will pick up a good defenseman too fairly soon (I'm betting Hamrlik or perhaps Rathje), and get some real stability back there, and give guys like Johnsson less icetime, when it's obvious they start to falter with too much.

Ottawa is given many of the acolades, but I feel Philidelphia will be heading to the SCF's this year. Will they win? Doubt it, but you never know!

A few things.

#1. Philly is NOT the team to beat in the East. They CAN win the East, but Ottawa certainly is the favorite, with the Devils being #2.

#2. Unless we suffer a major injury the last thing Clarke is dealing for is a defenseman.

Old
11-03-2003, 11:12 AM
swflyers8*

Quote:
Methinks you won't want me to bookmark this so that when realization kicks in and Esche realizes he's in over his head and Hackett steps in to save the day (hehe) whilst the TO team turns it around as they have so in seasons past (they've had substantial slumps in each of the last four years, although a game above .500 looks pretty good compared to those times) I'll be pulling you out from the corner your hiding in to say nothing more than...."ahem?"
Can I ask you to do one thing? Go to NHL.com and see who won defensive player of the week for the past week. His # is 42 and he wears the orange and black. How is TO going to turn it around? You've already started on the getting injured kick. Who has been hurt? Almo, Roberts, McCabe, Antropov (what a joke he is) and your goalie is already mad at the traffic in front of him. Yeah, Toronto will rebound, rebound to the bottom of the division. Good luck this season, you'll defintely need it.

Old
11-03-2003, 11:21 AM
nordique

vCash:
Quote:
As a matter of fact, I am in a hockey poll and guess what my rank is?
#1. So I must know the game of hockey if I'm top of the pool:

C Roenick, Jeremy (C-Phi)
C Handzus, Michal (C-Phi)
C Morrison, Brendan (C-Van)
LW Smyth, Ryan (LW-Edm)
LW Morrow, Brenden (LW-Dal)
RW St. Louis, Martin (RW-TB)
RW Bondra, Peter (RW-Was)
D Lidstrom, Nicklas (D-Det)
D Blake, Rob (D-Col)
D Gonchar, Sergei (D-Was)
D Markov, Andrei (D-Mon)
Bench Lemieux, Mario (C-Pit)
Bench Nolan, Owen (RW-Tor) <--I always keep this scrub on the bench.

I'm not sure you will make the playoffs this year. Your defense is worse than it was in the playoffs. Marchment, what a big boost he has been. Same with Berg. Kaberle is the only decent defenseman you have. McCabe hasn't gotten rid of the rust from his operation. Therefore, Eddie the Eagle has no help. No wonder he is complaining about all the traffic in front of him. Your defense is non-existent. Then you have your forwards. Roberts, I think he played 20 regular season games this year. Saturday, it was like he wasn't even there along with Sundin, Joe N, Nolan and Stajan among others. It was like the Flyers vs Eddie because your guys weren't even in the game. Nolan, great acquistion there, guy hasn't done diddly since he arrived in TOR. It's like all the old vets went to come to TOR and finish out thier careers there. That isn't going to help you guys get any closer to a Cup. When Darcy Tucker is doing a lot of scoring, you know you are in trouble when guys like Sundin, Almo, Nolan and all the others aren't scoring. I'm actually surprised that you beat the Canes yesterday.

We don't have a starting goalie as of right now. But, would you look at this:

1 J. McLennan, CGY 7 5 2 0 1.37 9 111 .925 120 2
2 P. Lalime, OTT 8 5 2 1 1.61 13 194 .937 207 1
3 Rick DiPietro, NYI 7 3 2 1 1.66 11 123 .918 134 1
4 Robert Esche, PHI 5 3 1 1 1.78 9 107 .922 116 1 <---I'll take that.

Hacket has a 2.44GAA which isn't too bad either. He has been playing well and is still adjusting to Hitch's system. The Eagle is six places behind Hackett on the ESPN stats page. So, I would say that our goalies are doing just fine thank you. Only two losses, 1 OT loss, not too bad at all. In regards to Joni, this kid is the complete package. He plays great defense, he can take guys right off the puck, he can handle the puck great and he can join the rush. He also comes in from the point when need be and creates scoring chances. I think he faked Sundin right out of his skates with one move he did Saturday night.
The kid is the future of the Flyers along with Williams, Gagne, Zeus, Somik, Vandy and few other young studs on the Phantoms.
Holy *****...I was going to say you didn't know hockey, but wow, looking at your hockey pool team changes my mind completely.

This guy has GM written all over him, everyone!

Old
11-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

LOL

Old
11-03-2003, 11:50 AM
DutchLeafsfan

Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique
Holy *****...I was going to say you didn't know hockey, but wow, looking at your hockey pool team changes my mind completely.

Well, considering I am battling for first place in our Sportingnews Pool, I suppose it might be wort the try to send my CV to the Chicago Blackhawks. Considering the fact that I won't be asking for a very high salary, I might stand a pretty good chance

Old
11-03-2003, 12:39 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique

Don't make fun.

He put a lot of work into that post.

Closed Thread