HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Evan McGrath

Old
05-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Hank19

vCash: 500
Evan McGrath

How many people see this kid making a difference in the next 2-3 years?

The Wings are very deep at centre. I wonder if this kid has what it takes to be a scorer at the NHL level and if he'll ever get a shot at cracking the Wings lineup.

He dominated the OHL level and players like him need to play with top talent.
I hope he plays well with Grand Rapids next year. Heck, I'm hoping he can make the team next season. But with Zetts, Dats, Lang and Fillipula I highly doubt that will happen.

Your thoughts?

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 03:27 PM
UK_Beatnik

I got to see 1 Kitchner game in TV this year and was disapointed that both McGrath and Kindl never stood out at all. Rangers lost that one 6-3 to the Knights.

McGrath will get a shot with Grand Rapids next term but I can see him struggling to start with, I think he could turn into a useful playmaker for the Wings but he's quite a few years away yet.

UK_Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 03:35 PM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

McGrath projects better as a scoring winger than a center at the NHL level anyway. He is a couple AHL season away from full NHL duty.

DanStewartFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 03:38 PM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_Beatnik
I got to see 1 Kitchner game in TV this year and was disapointed that both McGrath and Kindl never stood out at all. Rangers lost that one 6-3 to the Knights.

McGrath will get a shot with Grand Rapids next term but I can see him struggling to start with, I think he could turn into a useful playmaker for the Wings but he's quite a few years away yet.
Both McGrath and Kindl either dominated the games or were invisible in Kitchener. More times than not though, they both were Kitchener's top players.

Old
05-04-2006, 03:43 PM
UK_Beatnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup4Wings
Both McGrath and Kindl either dominated the games or were invisible in Kitchener. More times than not though, they both were Kitchener's top players.
Yeah like I say it's just a shame I only got to see the one game on TV as I read all season about them dominating and doing well, I must be a jinx I guess

UK_Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 03:47 PM
Spitfire11

I'm not keeping my hopes up with McGrath but who knows. Hopefully he can become an NHL player.

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Hank19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11
I'm not keeping my hopes up with McGrath but who knows. Hopefully he can become an NHL player.
That's my thoughts too. I was really high on Hudler. When he was drafted Edmonton's scouts were really upset because they were begging Lowe to pick him.
But now it looks like Hudler's future is in the air and it seems like Babcock isn't too high on him either.
Kevin Allen said last night on the Stoney and Wojo show that he thought Hudler would be a very good NHL player as well but not anymore. Somewhere in the last 2 years it's like he 'lost something'.
Hopefully that won't be the case as the Wings need scoring and grit from the wing position. Hudler is small and can get pushed around but at least he isn't shy about going in the corners.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 05:30 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank19
That's my thoughts too. I was really high on Hudler. When he was drafted Edmonton's scouts were really upset because they were begging Lowe to pick him.
But now it looks like Hudler's future is in the air and it seems like Babcock isn't too high on him either.
Kevin Allen said last night on the Stoney and Wojo show that he thought Hudler would be a very good NHL player as well but not anymore. Somewhere in the last 2 years it's like he 'lost something'.
Hopefully that won't be the case as the Wings need scoring and grit from the wing position. Hudler is small and can get pushed around but at least he isn't shy about going in the corners.
Err ... Kevin Allen doesn't know what he's talking about.
Hudler, I think, is bored silly by the AHL. He's been there for three freakin years now.
And I think his boredom really shows in the regular season.

But he's been dynamite since the playoffs started.
Up until the playoffs started, I was not very impressed with Hudler.

But he's a gutsy little player who wants the puck. In the Toronto series, Valtteri Filppula was nowhere near Hudler's level. Although they are the same age, Hudler played like a man, Filppula played like a boy.
If we trade this guy, unless we get a very good return, it's going to comeback to bite us.

A Good Flying Bird* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 05:46 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanCommunications
Hudler, I think, is bored silly by the AHL. He's been there for three freakin years now.

But he's a gutsy little player who wants the puck. In the Toronto series, Valtteri Filppula was nowhere near Hudler's level. Although they are the same age, Hudler played like a man, Filppula played like a boy.
If we trade this guy, unless we get a very good return, it's going to comeback to bite us.
I agree. I don't think that gives him an excuse to slack off,but I just don't think he feels challenged enough anymore in the AHL.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 06:02 PM
8snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanCommunications

Ha ha...ok Tin. Hudler needs you as his agent. Hudler has played well, but nothing he has shown, especially in the Marlies series shows he's any closer to being a legit NHL'er. You say Hudler has "played like a man"? In what aspect? He's still weak defensively. The Marlies dont have the greatest defensive corps either. I bet you Hudler doesnt make this roster, and if he does he wont stick. Babcock will run his hide off the team by November.

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Captain

Hay, the kid had a good season and he's only 20 years old. Give him a little time to develop.

Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 06:35 AM
sarcastro

McGrath is the type of player that the Wings could use as trade bait. If he plays well in GR and they don't think they're going to have room for him, then he could help bring them some of the size they need up front and on D. With Hudler and Filppula already ahead of him, it will be tough for McGrath to make the team in the next year or two.

Then again, if he plays REALLY well, they'll have to hang onto him and make room for him somehow. That is how good teams avoid prolonged rebuilding periods - they find out which young players fit and which don't, then they make room for the keepers and fill their other holes by trading the guys that don't fit.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 07:20 AM
Captain

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him in GR next season. The Wings can afford to wait until 2008 to offer him a contract, but given his regular season stats, would be foolish not to place him in GR next season.

Old
05-05-2006, 07:56 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him in GR next season. The Wings can afford to wait until 2008 to offer him a contract, but given his regular season stats, would be foolish not to place him in GR next season.
Who are you talking about? McGrath has to be signed by June 1st and Grigs has to be signed by June 1st of 07.

Old
05-05-2006, 08:14 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
Who are you talking about? McGrath has to be signed by June 1st and Grigs has to be signed by June 1st of 07.

Perhaps I'm thinking about the European draft deadlines. Either way, he's young (almost two years younger then Hudler) and highly skilled. Trading him would be a huge mistake.

Old
05-05-2006, 08:41 AM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

Quote:
Perhaps I'm thinking about the European draft deadlines.
European's also now have to be signed two years after they are drafted. A NCAA prospect still has until he completes university. Grigs and other euro prospects like him are under a grace period because they were drafted before the new CBA.

Old
05-05-2006, 08:55 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Perhaps I'm thinking about the European draft deadlines. Either way, he's young (almost two years younger then Hudler) and highly skilled. Trading him would be a huge mistake.
We don't know how he will fare in the NHL. Some who have seen him play call him a bit of a floater, and streaky, and not a go-to guy. Skilled, but more of a complementary guy.

The Wings have a lot of highly skilled forwards. If Hudler and Filppula both pan out as top 9 players or better, they're going to be hard pressed to find room for McGrath. My point is that unless McGrath makes it impossible for the Wings to trade him with his performance on the ice, if these small, skilled forwards all pan out, someone will probably be traded to fill other holes. That's how it works - you trade from strength to shore up your weak spots.

You can't say that trading him would be a huge mistake, because you don't know what kind of NHL player he will be, and you don't know what the possible return would be in a trade. It could be that McGrath and Filppula are the keepers and they deal Hudler. But they will need bigger forwards. They won't be able to have a top 6 that includes Z, Pavel, Filppula, Hudler and McGrath - that lineup would get pulverized.

Old
05-05-2006, 09:45 AM
Captain

Quote:
We don't know how he will fare in the NHL. Some who have seen him play call him a bit of a floater, and streaky, and not a go-to guy. Skilled, but more of a complementary guy.

The Wings have a lot of highly skilled forwards. If Hudler and Filppula both pan out as top 9 players or better, they're going to be hard pressed to find room for McGrath. My point is that unless McGrath makes it impossible for the Wings to trade him with his performance on the ice, if these small, skilled forwards all pan out, someone will probably be traded to fill other holes. That's how it works - you trade from strength to shore up your weak spots.

You can't say that trading him would be a huge mistake, because you don't know what kind of NHL player he will be, and you don't know what the possible return would be in a trade. It could be that McGrath and Filppula are the keepers and they deal Hudler. But they will need bigger forwards. They won't be able to have a top 6 that includes Z, Pavel, Filppula, Hudler and McGrath - that lineup would get pulverized.
I'm not convinced Hudler will pan out. Talk about a floater.

Give the guy a chance. I think he's a better bet then keeping Franzen.

Old
05-05-2006, 10:38 AM
fanner

McGrath isn't big at 6' but sure has been durable at the OHL level with almost no injury time over his career in the O. I agree we need to see him play in GR before we can say trading him would be a huge mistake. Sarcastro is right, one (or more) of these forwards will probably get moved, but it might not be McGrath, only time in GR will answer that at this point.

Speaking of which (with June 1 rapidly approaching) we *do* need to get this kid signed. Based on his numbers in the 'O' I understand he is looking for first or second round pick money on his contract despite his fourth round selection. He may not be a sure thing but I think he does have value in the organization (or as trade bait) and they need to lock him up. It would be nice to do that very soon so he can get to GR and spend some time in that environment even if he isn't going to play.

fanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 11:30 AM
sarcastro

Quote:

I'm not saying they shouldn't give him a chance, I'm saying that among all the skilled playmakers they have coming up, at least one of them is going to have to go, because you can't have 5 skilled playmakers in your top 2 lines. You need a couple big bodies who can finish those plays also. So whether it's McGrath, or Hudler, or Filppula, if the Wings can get that kind of forward in a trade, then it would be worth it. They should find out which of the three are the best first, though.

Old
05-05-2006, 11:42 AM
doublejack

Quote:
I'm not saying they shouldn't give him a chance, I'm saying that among all the skilled playmakers they have coming up, at least one of them is going to have to go, because you can't have 5 skilled playmakers in your top 2 lines. You need a couple big bodies who can finish those plays also. So whether it's McGrath, or Hudler, or Filppula, if the Wings can get that kind of forward in a trade, then it would be worth it. They should find out which of the three are the best first, though.
You can if your name is Kenny Holland

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 11:46 AM
8snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
You can if your name is Kenny Holland
Draper, Homer, Shannahan, Mowers? Seems to me Detroit didnt have enough skilled guys in their top 6 this season.

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 11:55 AM
sparr0w

Quote:

McGrath? They play entirely different roles. Franzen is a big, mobile, defensively aware guy with a touch of offense to his game. I'd say his potential is around 15-20 goals 30-40 points with solid PK work. Bigger better Maltby.

sparr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
McGrath? They play entirely different roles. Franzen is a big, mobile, defensively aware guy with a touch of offense to his game. I'd say his potential is around 15-20 goals 30-40 points with solid PK work. Bigger better Maltby.

A bigger better Maltby is probably a fair assessment. If the Wings let Maltby go in favor of Franzen, I wouldn't complain.

Old
05-05-2006, 03:16 PM
fanner

If they got the contract sorted out in the next short while any chance they would send McGrath to GR at this point? Anyone think he'd see the ice in playoffs?

fanner is offline   Reply With Quote