HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is the York/Dvo group the best 2nd line tandem since Mess/Andy?

View Poll Results: Are York and Dvo our best 2nd line tandem since the '80's?
Yes 2 4.44%
No 4 8.89%
Probably, but it's too early to tell 28 62.22%
Probably not, but it's too early to tell 11 24.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2003, 01:10 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Is the York/Dvo group the best 2nd line tandem since Mess/Andy?

York and Dvo both have loads of talent and can make plays at extremely high speed but until the last two games they hadn't shown a whole lot of what we knew they were capable of. Can they keep it up?

At the beginning of every season there's always hope for a 2nd line, but that usually fizzles away in Oilerland at around the 3 game mark. This season looks different, these guys have the skills and are just picking up momentum right now. On the fast ice in Edm they could wreak major havoc.

York
10gp, 3-5-8, +6

Dvo
10gp, 0-4-4, +5

Right now Raffi (10gp, 3-3-6, E) is looking like the best fit to round out that line, but Chimmer and Izzy could have some hot streaks over the course of the season and both have excellent size and speed as well.

IMO the 2nd line is shaping up to be an elite 2nd string unit in the entire league this year.

Thoughts?

Old
11-02-2003, 01:14 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
York and Dvo both have loads of talent and can make plays at extremely high speed but until the last two games they hadn't shown a whole lot of what we knew they were capable of. Can they keep it up?

At the beginning of every season there's always hope for a 2nd line, but that usually fizzles away in Oilerland at around the 3 game mark. This season looks different, these guys have the skills and are just picking up momentum right now. On the fast ice in Edm they could wreak major havoc.

York
10gp, 3-5-8, +6

Dvo
10gp, 0-4-4, +5

Right now Raffi (10gp, 3-3-6, E) is looking like the best fit to round out that line, but Chimmer and Izzy could have some hot streaks over the course of the season and both have excellent size and speed as well.

IMO the 2nd line is shaping up to be an elite 2nd string unit in the entire league this year.

Thoughts?
I don't feel "your boy" Chimera has earned a spot on any second line in this league.........yet.

Old
11-02-2003, 01:34 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Well I do agree that they show lots of potential. IMO we don't really have a bonafied top line unless Hemsky continues to score at his current pace, and Smyth and Izzy play more consistently. What it looks to me is that we have two elite second lines. Now I know we are going to see consistent change in our lines this year as a young team will go through ups and downs. But for the most part (exluding possibilities due to Comrie) Our lines should look something like:
Isbister-Smyth-Hemsky
Torres/Chimera/Horcoff-York-Dvorak

I think that York and Dvorak are locks on the second line, just as Smyth and Hemsky are locks on the first line. The other four will all get their cracks. Izzy will get the most top six time out of all of them. Then I think Torres and Chimera will be about the same with Horcoff slightly behind. Torres has shown that when he is given ice time he gets stuff done and is effective. If their aren't to many penalties then he can play fourth line, if their are he needs second line minutes IMO.

On a side note, MacT needs to give Izzy some friggin PP time!

Old
11-02-2003, 01:35 PM
Asiaoil

If a deal with Atlanta ever did happen and we ended up Stefan - I think he would look awfully good between York and Dvo - just a thought.

Old
11-02-2003, 01:42 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
If a deal with Atlanta ever did happen and we ended up Stefan - I think he would look awfully good between York and Dvo - just a thought.
Agreed, but I think if we get a center it will be so we can put Smytty back on wing. But then you never know, he has shown signs that with some patience he'll settle in where he is. The only reasons I like Stefan posiblities is A. his offensive potential and B. his size and defensive awareness. I think with him and Reasoner that'd make a big difference in face off winning % and also in team defensive play.

Old
11-02-2003, 01:50 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Agreed, but I think if we get a center it will be so we can put Smytty back on wing. But then you never know, he has shown signs that with some patience he'll settle in where he is. The only reasons I like Stefan posiblities is A. his offensive potential and B. his size and defensive awareness. I think with him and Reasoner that'd make a big difference in face off winning % and also in team defensive play.
We may see the Smyth experiment continue for a while. I think Smitty recently said that playing center is quite a bit easier on him physically - and that's a good thing - because his style of play on the wing gets him banged up pretty regularly. So even if we got a center like Stefan - I think York may be the guy to move back over to LW. I agree that a Smyth-Stefan-Reasoner trio of centers would give us a pretty solid two way group of players.

York Stefan Dvorak as a second line would work for me.

Old
11-02-2003, 01:51 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Well, they're definitely the Oilers' best 2nd line since Weight-Zholtok-Cleary

Until we get something that makes a lot of sense, Smyth can stay at C and have Isbister take draws for him. (Hey, we suffered through Comrie's faceoff "prowess"...)

Old
11-02-2003, 01:59 PM
Cujo_31

it's quite early to tell, but it sure seems like it.

I think as long as Torres should play with Smyth & Hemsky on the top line & Chimera on the 2nd line, though Chimera isn't as offensively talented as others, he has the speed to keep up with York & Dvorak & he should be able to create some plays & set up Dvorak & York, Chimera won the fastest skater at the Oilers skills competition, & i believe broke the record, but it didn't count cuz it wasn't at the NHL Skills competition...give Chimera 7 or 8 games with York & Dvorak, if it doesn't work put Isbister on the top line as a centre between Smyth & Hemsky, Issy has won some clean faceoffs the last couple of games & Torres on the 2nd line on the wing with York @ centre.

If I were the Oilers head coach my forward lines would be either

Torres Smyth Hemsky
Chimera York Dvorak
Isbister Horcoff/Stoll Laraque
Moreau Reasoner Pisani

-------------------OR-----------------------

Smyth Isbister Hemsky
Torres York Dvorak
Chimera Stoll/Horcofff Laraque
Moreau Reasoner Pisani

Defence would stay the same

Brewer - Semenov
Bergeron - Smith
Cross/Ferguosn - Staios

Salo (and hope he finds his "A" game)
Conklin (let him start at least 20 games this season)

Old
11-02-2003, 01:59 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
I think Bell would look great between those two hes a big guy to create room with good d and improving offensive talent, I think their styles of play would mesh well and create some good chemistry. Best part is he can play all 3 forward positions so he can move over to any weakness when our prospects come up, my alternative choice if we can't land him is Vasicek.

Couldn't think of a better second line than what we have right now since the glory days its a little pre-mature right now so I picked its too early to tell but probably

Old
11-02-2003, 02:54 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo_31
it's quite early to tell, but it sure seems like it.

I think as long as Torres should play with Smyth & Hemsky on the top line & Chimera on the 2nd line, though Chimera isn't as offensively talented as others, he has the speed to keep up with York & Dvorak & he should be able to create some plays & set up Dvorak & York, Chimera won the fastest skater at the Oilers skills competition, & i believe broke the record, but it didn't count cuz it wasn't at the NHL Skills competition...give Chimera 7 or 8 games with York & Dvorak, if it doesn't work put Isbister on the top line as a centre between Smyth & Hemsky, Issy has won some clean faceoffs the last couple of games & Torres on the 2nd line on the wing with York @ centre.

If I were the Oilers head coach my forward lines would be either

Torres Smyth Hemsky
Chimera York Dvorak
Isbister Horcoff/Stoll Laraque
Moreau Reasoner Pisani

-------------------OR-----------------------

Smyth Isbister Hemsky
Torres York Dvorak
Chimera Stoll/Horcofff Laraque
Moreau Reasoner Pisani

Defence would stay the same

Brewer - Semenov
Bergeron - Smith
Cross/Ferguosn - Staios

Salo (and hope he finds his "A" game)
Conklin (let him start at least 20 games this season)
Pretty decent, except you mixed up the third and fourth lines.

Old
11-02-2003, 04:10 PM
Cujo_31

Quote:
Pretty decent, except you mixed up the third and fourth lines.

we need to give Chimera, Horcoff, Stoll & Laraque some ice time, Laraque hasn't been too bad this season, and we just need to play him more to get his confidence up a little more, & try and get him to be a factor in as many games as possible. Also Chimera is the fastest Oiler, or at least top 3 in fastest oilers, & Horc is coming off a 33 pt season last year, and we need to try & get him to expand on that or at least be consistently around that 30 -35 point mark, so our 3rd line would be established, & also need to give young Jarrett Stoll some ice time to develop him into a regular NHL player, and try to expand on that in the next few seasons.

Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani provide a very steady 4th line, that has good chemistry, is reliable defensively & can create some scoring opportunities. the 3rd/4th line would get similar amount of ice time, 10-12 minutes/game, with Horc, Marty, & Ethan also doing some extra work on the PK when neccessary.

Old
11-02-2003, 04:14 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
we need to give Chimera, Horcoff, Stoll & Laraque some ice time, Laraque hasn't been too bad this season, and we just need to play him more to get his confidence up a little more, & try and get him to be a factor in as many games as possible. Also Chimera is the fastest Oiler, or at least top 3 in fastest oilers, & Horc is coming off a 33 pt season last year, and we need to try & get him to expand on that or at least be consistently around that 30 -35 point mark, so our 3rd line would be established, & also need to give young Jarrett Stoll some ice time to develop him into a regular NHL player, and try to expand on that in the next few seasons.

Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani provide a very steady 4th line, that has good chemistry, is reliable defensively & can create some scoring opportunities. the 3rd/4th line would get similar amount of ice time, 10-12 minutes/game, with Horc, Marty, & Ethan also doing some extra work on the PK when neccessary.
WAY off. Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani are locks to be our checking line. So I guess if you want to call the checking line the fourth line, what ever. But the RPM line will get much more ice time then the third line for the rest of the year as they are by FAR the Oilers best defensivel line and will match up against the other teams best line at regular strength.

Old
11-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Cujo_31

Quote:
WAY off. Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani are locks to be our checking line. So I guess if you want to call the checking line the fourth line, what ever. But the RPM line will get much more ice time then the third line for the rest of the year as they are by FAR the Oilers best defensivel line and will match up against the other teams best line at regular strength.
as a coach you gotta take a few chances, personally I think Stoll could bring a lot to the Oilers, & Laraque is a great checker & our best fighter, though he wants to play more of a scoring role, if I were coach i'd tell let him know his role is to bring a physical force to the game and be a factor in each & every game, and if he creates some scoring chances great, either that or he can find a seat in the pressbox for a few games.

also like I said before, Chimera is very fast, and can keep up with the best of 'em, while Horc is coming off a strong season.

and if the 3rd line doesn't do too hot after 4 or 5 games, then i'd switch it up, and rely on the RPM line, but you gotta experiment a little bit, like the Smytty experiment @ Centre.

thats just the way I see things..dont get me wrong, I absolutely Love the RPM line.

Old
11-03-2003, 09:12 AM
Marconius

Quote:
as a coach you gotta take a few chances, personally I think Stoll could bring a lot to the Oilers, & Laraque is a great checker & our best fighter, though he wants to play more of a scoring role, if I were coach i'd tell let him know his role is to bring a physical force to the game and be a factor in each & every game, and if he creates some scoring chances great, either that or he can find a seat in the pressbox for a few games.
Isn't that what we've been telling BG for the last 3 seasons? What makes you think hes going to listen this time?

Closed Thread