HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Skoula has to be dealt

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2003, 08:05 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man
Did Granato ever try playing Forsberg with Kariya and Selanne?? The latter two get a playmaker to play on their line instead of another shoot-first guy in Sakic.
Exactly what I have been saying. Fortunately, we are in a dilemma b/c the AMP line is awesome. We have too many shooters, and not enough playmakers. Tanguay and Forsberg would be the playmakers and Sakic, Kariya, Selanne, and Hejduk are the shooters. All 6 can still score, though .

Old
11-03-2003, 08:16 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man
Did Granato ever try playing Forsberg with Kariya and Selanne?? The latter two get a playmaker to play on their line instead of another shoot-first guy in Sakic.
Kariya - Sakic - Selšnne looked pretty decent together the few games they played. I think it is mostly Sakic and Selšnne being a bit slow out of the blocks this season. If they improve their individual game so they are closer to where they should be, the line will work out just fine.

And breaking up the Forsberg line would be insane. Not only because they produce, but because they can make something happen every time they are on the ice.

If the Sakic line fail look horrible for an extended period of time once they are reunited, then I wouldn't be opposed to some juggling since both lines have to produce.

Old
11-04-2003, 01:55 PM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
And breaking up the Forsberg line would be insane. Not only because they produce, but because they can make something happen every time they are on the ice.
It didn't seem that bad the last two games, when Forsberg was injured...

Old
11-07-2003, 10:19 AM
ABasin
Viva "Our Structure"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
What do you mean "probably"? It's a frickin' known that Liles is already better than Skoula.
He's not even close. Liles has been a nice surprise, but if you watch him closely, he is often grossly out of position in his own end.

Old
11-07-2003, 10:43 AM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin
He's not even close. Liles has been a nice surprise, but if you watch him closely, he is often grossly out of position in his own end.
I don't see that myself.

Old
11-07-2003, 12:21 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
You got that completely backwards. Skoula is the one that is always out of position. Liles is actually very sound on his positioning, and it is very inportant in his game, since he isn't the biggest defensman in the world.

Old
11-07-2003, 01:00 PM
nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118
You got that completely backwards. Skoula is the one that is always out of position. Liles is actually very sound on his positioning, and it is very inportant in his game, since he isn't the biggest defensman in the world.
I was about to say the same thing you said. SKoula ain't exactly no tactician himself.

Old
11-07-2003, 01:19 PM
Deader

the whole Skoula-Theme reminds me of Klesla in Columbus,he hasn't developed his team expected,any thoughts??

Old
11-07-2003, 02:01 PM
Mr. Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deader
the whole Skoula-Theme reminds me of Klesla in Columbus,he hasn't developed his team expected,any thoughts??

Skoula for Klesla

or better yet, package him up and try and get Thibault back.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:47 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Avalanche
Skoula for Klesla

or better yet, package him up and try and get Thibault back.
Denis *cough.....*

Old
11-08-2003, 12:46 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
This is only the 3rd season for Klesla, Skoula is in his 5th. Klesla is also three years younger than Skoula. The whole, "he's young, defensemen need time to develop" thing actually aplies to Klesla, but I think Skoula has run out of time.

Old
11-08-2003, 03:37 AM
Foppa_Rules

Everybody feels sorry for Skoula. One reporter called him the Avalanche whipping boy. What ever. He has to work hard, not sit around feeling sorry for himself. He needs to step it up a bit.

Old
11-08-2003, 03:57 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Denis *cough.....*
Keep dreaming

Old
11-08-2003, 09:31 AM
ABasin
Viva "Our Structure"

Quote:
Liles is absolutely *not* sound positionally in his own end. He's all over the place. He plays very well in the other three zones, but in his own end, he's extremely erratic. In the first 3 games, he looked like he had post-concussion syndrome back there. I share the opinion that he's been a nice surprise, but calling him 'very sound' on his positioning isn't close to accurate.

Old
11-08-2003, 09:52 AM
Yayo

Quote:
He plays very well in the other three zones, but in his own end, he's extremely erratic.
So what are the other three zones he plays in??

Old
11-08-2003, 10:04 AM
hoserthehorrible

I'm guessing neutral zone, offensive zone, and twilight zone.

Old
11-08-2003, 11:04 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Liles is absolutely *not* sound positionally in his own end. He's all over the place. He plays very well in the other three zones, but in his own end, he's extremely erratic. In the first 3 games, he looked like he had post-concussion syndrome back there. I share the opinion that he's been a nice surprise, but calling him 'very sound' on his positioning isn't close to accurate.
Well then I guess we disagree then, because I don't think you're watching him closely enough. Very sound might be slightly overrating him, so I will drop it to pretty sound, but don't be mistaken, this is why he made the team, not just his offense. He impressed the coaches by his positioning, since this is usually a rookie defensman's biggest fault. I've also watched him get better and better along the boards, which is impressive since he isn't the biggest defenseman, like I already mentioned

By the way where's the other zone your talking about? There's only three zones in hockey.

Old
11-08-2003, 11:17 AM
Deader

locker-room may be

Old
11-08-2003, 01:49 PM
ABasin
Viva "Our Structure"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man
So what are the other three zones he plays in??
LOL. That would be neutral zone, offensive zone, and, uh, espn zone...?

Sorry dude, tiny typo there. :-)

Basically, my point is that Liles has been very good outside of his own zone. He is out of position in his own zone often enough for it to be a problem. Of course, this season, Skoula, Morris and even Foote have been guilty of this more often than is acceptable so far. I like Liles a lot, but he's not a sound defensive positional player at this point in his short career.

Old
11-08-2003, 01:54 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
We definately are watching a different player. Liles IMO hasn't tried to do too much and has smartly made simple plays. I don't find him to be out of position as much as you claim. His difficulties will come along the boards because of his size. He has already started to adapt and we already know that he has good offensive instincts. Right now he is already a better defensive player than Martin Skoula.

Old
11-08-2003, 01:57 PM
ABasin
Viva "Our Structure"

Quote:
Well then I guess we disagree then, because I don't think you're watching him closely enough. Very sound might be slightly overrating him, so I will drop it to pretty sound, but don't be mistaken, this is why he made the team, not just his offense. He impressed the coaches by his positioning, since this is usually a rookie defensman's biggest fault. I've also watched him get better and better along the boards, which is impressive since he isn't the biggest defenseman, like I already mentioned

By the way where's the other zone your talking about? There's only three zones in hockey.
Sorry about that three zone thing. Was doing two other things while posting to hockey boards. :-)

Please keep in mind that I like Liles and think he's a good addition to the team. And please don't resort to the 'you don't watch enough' statement, which is kind of a lame copout of a debate. We can disagree and still argue over the details. It's OK.

For the record, I've seen every Avs' game this year, sans the last Phoenix game. Liles, especially early on - and he's doing better now, was out of position any number of times a game in his own zone. There are times to follow a player who circles the zone, and there are times when you don't. He did it no matter what often earlier this year. Plus, he did get caught a few times pinching in when he shouldn't have.

Now, one of the reasons why his transgressions aren't glaring is because the Avs' defense this year has been pretty porous so far. Lots of odd-man breaks, not particularly good play. Skoula and Morris have been particularly average so far.

Liles has been good. But he's made defensive mistakes, particularly in his positioning, which is why I took issue with your opinion in the first place.

Old
11-08-2003, 02:46 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Sorry about that three zone thing. Was doing two other things while posting to hockey boards. :-)

Please keep in mind that I like Liles and think he's a good addition to the team. And please don't resort to the 'you don't watch enough' statement, which is kind of a lame copout of a debate. We can disagree and still argue over the details. It's OK.

For the record, I've seen every Avs' game this year, sans the last Phoenix game. Liles, especially early on - and he's doing better now, was out of position any number of times a game in his own zone. There are times to follow a player who circles the zone, and there are times when you don't. He did it no matter what often earlier this year. Plus, he did get caught a few times pinching in when he shouldn't have.

Now, one of the reasons why his transgressions aren't glaring is because the Avs' defense this year has been pretty porous so far. Lots of odd-man breaks, not particularly good play. Skoula and Morris have been particularly average so far.

Liles has been good. But he's made defensive mistakes, particularly in his positioning, which is why I took issue with your opinion in the first place.

That's fine we can disagree, I think he is good positionaly, you don't. No big deal. For the record I didn't say, you don't watch enough. I said I didn't think you were watching him closely enough.

Old
11-08-2003, 02:58 PM
Deader

Quote:
This is only the 3rd season for Klesla, Skoula is in his 5th. Klesla is also three years younger than Skoula. The whole, "he's young, defensemen need time to develop" thing actually aplies to Klesla, but I think Skoula has run out of time.
but Klesla should have been able to make a better impact on Columbus's system then Skoula in the Avs System,with all these star defensemen in front of him

Klesla was several times a healthy scratch,that's the point i'm thinking about

Old
11-08-2003, 03:05 PM
nathan

Quote:
but Klesla should have been able to make a better impact on Columbus's system then Skoula in the Avs System,with all these star defensemen in front of him
But at the same time, Skoula should have learned a thing or two with all those star defensemen in front of him.

Even vets like Adam Foote and Rob Blake learned something from Raymond Bourque.

Old
11-08-2003, 03:51 PM
ABasin
Viva "Our Structure"

Quote:
That's fine we can disagree, I think he is good positionaly, you don't. No big deal. For the record I didn't say, you don't watch enough. I said I didn't think you were watching him closely enough.
Fair enough. Though being a defenseman myself for over 20 years (competitively when I was younger, fat guy beer league now), I tend to watch the defensemen play more so than any other position, even when the puck isn't nearby. That doesn't make me right in our discussion, but I am paying attention to the player(s) in question.

Closed Thread