HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weird idea of the day

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2006, 08:47 AM
CaptCrunch

vCash: 500
Weird idea of the day

Remember, Kovalev was put on the 2nd line because "he and koivu didn't mix". They both had to control the puck.

Looking at Kovalev on the 2nd line, It sometimes looks like he and Ribeiro are redundant. They both enjoy puck possesion, making plays. The media calls them "artiste" and "creative players".

Maybe Kovalev is meant to be a center.

Guess what: Alexei Kovalev is 6'2'', 229 pounds. The only problem is that he is left handed.

He can be very strong along the boards. He is often a pivot on the powerplay. We heard that he was an excellent point man in pittsburg.

Think he cannot change roles? It is a little known fact that "The Kommander" used to play defense in russia (just like markov used to be a forward).

Have you ever heard about attempt to convert him to center?

I know its REALLY off the wall as an idea, converting him to center position.

I just wanted to hear your opinion about it.

Last edited by CaptCrunch: 05-05-2006 at 09:08 AM.
Old
05-05-2006, 12:58 PM
HabuseMoi

they could try it, but if the occasion arise (injury), it would be wiser to get a real center to complete him at his natural position. Imo

You dont want to start the year with him at center with no backup plan.

Old
05-05-2006, 01:01 PM
jcpenny

Kovalev is not a playmaker and i have a tough time seeing him chasing the opposite center in his zone. This guy is an all star RW leave him there.

Old
05-05-2006, 01:05 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch
Remember, Kovalev was put on the 2nd line because "he and koivu didn't mix". They both had to control the puck.

That was never the reason.

Old
05-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Dragon

if I remember correctly, Kovalev was drafted as a C.

Old
05-05-2006, 01:08 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
if I remember correctly, Kovalev was drafted as a C.
Possible, but I don't remember him playing a single season as a C since being in the NHL. Tough to make the transition after so many years. Obviously he wouldn't be great on the draw and he suffers from mad brain cramps at various times during the game. Imo, these are things the Coaching Staff has looked into, and inteligentely ruled out.

Old
05-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Habruti!

It would probably be easier to bring back Higgins at center and go with Koivu, Higgins, Pleks as our top 3 centers. You never know with the right supporting cast it could work well.

Old
05-05-2006, 02:22 PM
justicex

Kovalev just need something we dont really have in Montréal but some guys on the 4th line to complete him. A guys like Glen Murray who rush to the net, annoy every one, and dammit .. take the rebound and SCORE.

We got all the kind of players who create plays, chances, artistic creations.. but almost none who go in front of the net, push the bad guys and SCORE!

Old
05-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justicex
Kovalev just need something we dont really have in Montréal but some guys on the 4th line to complete him. A guys like Glen Murray who rush to the net, annoy every one, and dammit .. take the rebound and SCORE.

We got all the kind of players who create plays, chances, artistic creations.. but almost none who go in front of the net, push the bad guys and SCORE!
I hate to say it..but Higgins fits that description pretty well. He seemed like he was the only guy to go to the net this year.

Old
05-05-2006, 02:40 PM
justicex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti!
I hate to say it..but Higgins fits that description pretty well. He seemed like he was the only guy to go to the net this year.
Actually you are right .. ok .. we got one potential great guys to fit with Kovy

Closed Thread