Is Marty Gelinas available?

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2003, 01:27 PM
StilesBC

vCash: 500
Is Marty Gelinas available?

Hello Flamers,

I'm inquiring on behalf of Brian Burke on Martin Gelinas.

Is he available at this time and what is his current contract status? I'm thinking he would be a good fit on our second line with the Sedins. He was a big part of our team that went to the cup in '94 and was a fan favourite here in the years afterward. I'd love to see him back in a Nucks jersey. Is there any chance Calgary would want Bryan Allen and/or R.J. Umberger? Or could a 3 way deal be worked out with the Islanders?

Just checking. Let me know if he's untouchable...

Old
11-02-2003, 02:24 PM
Michalek

I think that sutter woudnt mind to move Gelinas if return is good , however there is one problem ,Marty has No Trade claus in his contract.

Old
11-02-2003, 02:58 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilesBC
Hello Flamers,

I'm inquiring on behalf of Brian Burke on Martin Gelinas.

Is he available at this time and what is his current contract status? I'm thinking he would be a good fit on our second line with the Sedins. He was a big part of our team that went to the cup in '94 and was a fan favourite here in the years afterward. I'd love to see him back in a Nucks jersey. Is there any chance Calgary would want Bryan Allen and/or R.J. Umberger? Or could a 3 way deal be worked out with the Islanders?

Just checking. Let me know if he's untouchable...
Taking a stab in the dark here....

To Calgary: Dave Scatchard, R.J. Umberger

To Vancouver: Martin Gelinas

To NYI: Denis Gauthier

....just a proposal to think about. I would think that Umberger for Gelinas would be fair value, although it'd be a risky proposition. Gelinas would have to break his no-trade clause, but despite the qualities he brings to a team, he doesn't seem like a Sutter-type player - Scatchard does. Gelly could very well excel under Crawford's system. However, I can't say I can accurately gauge Umberger's play - I haven't seem him play. But I hear he's a big kid with decent wheels. The Nucks would also get two years (this year and next year) out of Gelly on his current contract, and he's stated that he wants to play for a Western Canadian team for family reasons. His family is in Calgary, but Vancouver is the next best thing geographically besides Edmonton (but that'll never happen...) This may increase the chance of him re-signing after his contract is up.

NY gets a bruising defenseman, although I'm not sure the Isles are looking for a trade like this at this point. Gauthier would add crease-clearing stability to the blueline, and Scatchard would be effectively used to his abilities playing in Calgary under Sutter - plus, he's an Alberta boy, to boot.

Calgary might have to throw a mid-round pick either Vancouver's way or NY's way if necessary to level out any value discrepancies.

So, Calgary upgrades their forward core, Vancouver gets a current NHL'er to help push the team further into the playoffs (he was a playoff warrior with Carolina), and NY gets a crease-clearing defenseman that they need.

Old
11-02-2003, 09:38 PM
icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michalek
I think that sutter woudnt mind to move Gelinas if return is good , however there is one problem ,Marty has No Trade claus in his contract.
Ay, there's the rub. Marty is gonna have to feel really unwanted if he's ever gonna waive his no-trade clause, considering how he's got his family all settled in here now.

Closed Thread