HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Minnesota Wild: Big Spenders?

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2006, 02:09 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Minnesota Wild: Big Spenders?

With the Salary Cap floor being 30 million and Minnesota being well below that, will they make a splash in the free agent pool?

Old
05-05-2006, 02:11 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoak
With the Salary Cap floor being 30 million
Is that offical?

Old
05-05-2006, 02:15 PM
IranCondraAffair

If they were a bad draw team that wasn't making much money, I could see why the owners would want to keep a tight grip on payroll.....but isn't this the team that sells out every night?

Old
05-05-2006, 02:16 PM
Geese_Howard*

they can afford to but they are a very cheap franchise, also not many players would be keen on playing lemaires system, and apprently gaborik also wants out.

Old
05-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Gaborik "apparently wanting out" seems like wishful thinking by Non-Minn fans.

I'll predict he resigns, and emerges as a solid 100 point scorer (even in Minn's restrictive defensive system).

Old
05-05-2006, 02:22 PM
12# Peter Bondra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Gaborik "apparently wanting out" seems like wishful thinking by Non-Minn fans.

I'll predict he resigns, and emerges as a solid 100 point scorer (even in Minn's restrictive defensive system).
In the SVK media he doesnt seem to fond to be in MIN system I have to say.

Old
05-05-2006, 03:36 PM
WILDTATE10

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard
they can afford to but they are a very cheap franchise, also not many players would be keen on playing lemaires system, and apprently gaborik also wants out.
and who says Gabork wants out?
no he didnt.

Minny will sign Parrish since this is where he wants to play. If Langenbrunner is a free agent I think the Wild will take a shot at him.

Old
05-05-2006, 03:52 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

I think it is Gaborik who will eat up some of that money if Minny wants to keep him long-term.

Old
05-05-2006, 03:59 PM
DW

Will they spend the money is the question Wild fans are asking the most. I think they will to some degree. Do I expect them to outbid other teams for every player the're looking at in the off-season? No. They'll make the minimum cap easily next season but there will definitely be room left on the max cap. They've also stated that they will dip into the market for players they feel will fit into there system. That's what I'm expecting also. Some Wild fans have quite a laundry list of players they want to see signed. That just seems like they're going to set themselves up for disappointment IMO.

I think defence will be more of a priority then offence as there are only 3 dmen on the end of the season roster signed. Two are toast (Zuyzin and Henry), Kuba is the guy up in the air. Since this will be a rather strong free agent crop for dmen, this is where I think we'll do the best in terms of quality. Lord knows the Wild could use help on the offencive side too. But I see a mix of call ups and UFA here more then strictly UFA's like what appears is going to happen with the dmen.

Who really knows? The off-season is a long ways away and we don't exactly know will be availeable when free agency begins. (re-signing and trades, stuff like that)

Old
05-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTATE10
and who says Gabork wants out?
no he didnt.

Minny will sign Parrish since this is where he wants to play. If Langenbrunner is a free agent I think the Wild will take a shot at him.
There have been posters on the Isles boards who knew Parrish personally. Parrish has said that he'd like to either play or Minn or LA, but that he'd go where the $ are the best.

So, don't count your chickens before they hatch. If a big market team comes in with a good enough offer, Parrish will be elsewhere.

Old
05-05-2006, 04:07 PM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioJoe
If they were a bad draw team that wasn't making much money, I could see why the owners would want to keep a tight grip on payroll.....but isn't this the team that sells out every night?

I for one did not go to any games this year because they are cheap. If they do nothing special this off season i will not even watch them on TV. Our big plan was to bring up young guys and add a few veteran players here and there and build from with in. well we have Volo, O'Sullivan, Pouliot and Irmen in the farm. Traded Michalek. And the player we got, Westrum, was the leading scorer in the AHL for most of the year, but unless he has a spot probally will not re-sign. Risbrough promised that he was going to play it safe in the new NHL the first year but was going to go after a better crop of FA in the second year. I can almost gurantee that if nothing happens and Gabby is unhappy, the sell out streak will go bye bye.

Old
05-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Geese_Howard*

I can see alot of american born players going to play for minnisota, its a hot bed of hockey in america.

Old
05-06-2006, 09:48 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

They've made it pretty clear in recent weeks that they are gonna spend some dough...

And the Gaborik/Lemaire thing has been played out in the media...that is still up in the air, although I heard rumblings of them offering Gabs a multi year deal at 5.5 mil a year

Old
05-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Street Hawk

Ufa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO
They've made it pretty clear in recent weeks that they are gonna spend some dough...

And the Gaborik/Lemaire thing has been played out in the media...that is still up in the air, although I heard rumblings of them offering Gabs a multi year deal at 5.5 mil a year
Well, Gabby is a UFA after the 2007 season, so I think that he would want more than 5.5 million over a long term deal.

5.5 million is what Nash and Kovachuk signed for, but Nash was 4 years away from UFA at the time he signed and Kovy was 3 years away from UFA when he signed, whereas Gabby is only 1 more year away.

I think he'll look at what the likes of an Elias will get and target that as a benchmark. Gabby doesn't need to sign a long term deal this summer either. He can sign a 1 year deal or go to arbitration and take a 1 year deal.

So, if next season Gabby scores over 40 goals, he'll probably demand well over 6 million and possibly close to 7 million over a long term deal.

I think he'll end up staying in Minny, but it's going to force the Wild to add to the roster.

Old
05-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Wild Bill

I'll believe it when I see it...

I's easy to say 'we're gonna do this, we're gonna go after them next year, we're saving the money for this'...yada yada yada. Time for some action.

Old
05-06-2006, 03:02 PM
ceber

I'd say management's frugal, not cheap. Offered Mitchell ~3 mil per year. Gave Gaborik the largest contract for a kid his age. Gave Fernandez nice money. They just don't toss it around. I anticipate the RFAs will get fair deals and we'll see a couple of bigger free agent signings.

Old
05-06-2006, 04:56 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
The Wild should look at a guy like Elias to give them 1 more scoring forward to go with Rolston and Gaborik. Elias with Bouchard would make for a nice tandem.

Old
05-06-2006, 05:14 PM
WILDTATE10

vCash: 50
Bouchard would be his Scott Gomez.

Old
05-07-2006, 02:23 AM
Chrisd

hahha

a elias-bouchard-gaborik line wouldn't be fair to the rest of the nhl.

But lemaire will still be here and he won't ever keep 1 line together, plus they won't shell out the money for elias...

Old
05-07-2006, 08:29 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard
I can see alot of american born players going to play for minnisota, its a hot bed of hockey in america.
Correction.You might see the Minnesota born players return to Minnesota such Mark Parrish and Jamie Langenbrunner

Old
05-07-2006, 08:30 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm
Is that offical?
The floor will either be $27 million or $30 million

$30 million floor-$46 million cap
$27 million floor-$43 million cap

$16 million gap