HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Koivu PC 11amest

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2006, 09:27 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Koivu PC 11amest

The Score announced that Saku will address the media.

Old
05-05-2006, 09:58 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

vCash: 500
Oooh boy, I'm getting nervous.

I really hope the news from Saku is positive, and not that he has had some setback or anything. He looked in good spirits yesterday and at the game on Tuesday night.

Old
05-05-2006, 09:59 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
I hope someone asks him about the invasion of privacy when he was in the hospital.

Old
05-05-2006, 09:59 AM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
Oooh boy, I'm getting nervous.

I really hope the news from Saku is positive, and not that he has had some setback on anything. He looked in good spirits yesterday and at the game on Tuesday night.
Usually, if it's bad news, everyone usually knows. It would already be on rds. I bet he's just gonna recap what happened...

Old
05-05-2006, 10:02 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Hopefully it's just to say he'll be ready for next year.

Old
05-05-2006, 10:04 AM
22SteveBegin22

I'll bet he announces that he'll be back in time for Game 8!!!!

Old
05-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

He says that his vision is slowly coming back, but there is still blood in the back of the eye, and it will be a week to ten days before they know for sure what happened. Koivu is confident he will regain his vision 100%, and that if there is any damage to his retina, that it will be repaired surgically.

Overall, the news is very good for Saku. He showed his class yet again, by saying that Justin Williams is not to blame, since it was an accident. Saku also explained what happened the day after with the Journal de Montreal. He was upset they took pictures of him (claimed the "flash" didn't help him), and asked for them to leave. The hospital staff had to help take out the photographer.

Old
05-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Legolas

I know that Koivu will do the right thing like he always does and say that it was an accident and it wasn't Justin Williams' fault, etc.

But just once I would absolutely love it if he would just rip into the guy. Something along the lines of:

"It was an accident, but you have to be responsible for your stick. He took me out of the rest of the series, and he didn't even get a penalty for it. That's unfair and ridiculous. Just imagine what could have happened to me if I wasn't even wearing a half-visor."

I think the press and fans in Montreal would go insane if Koivu just ranted about it...the passion that would show would win so many haters over.

Old
05-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Legolas

Quote:
He says that his vision is slowly coming back, but there is still blood in the back of the eye, and it will be a week to ten days before they know for sure what happened. Koivu is confident he will regain his vision 100%, and that if there is any damage to his retina, that it will be repaired surgically.

Overall, the news is very good for Saku. He showed his class yet again, by saying that Justin Williams is not to blame, since it was an accident. Saku also explained what happened the day after with the Journal de Montreal. He was upset they took pictures of him (claimed the "flash" didn't help him), and asked for them to leave. The hospital staff had to help take out the photographer.
Sigh...just as I thought. Well, I'm glad he's optimistic about his recovery. The guy is such a class act and such a warrior it just amazes me.

Old
05-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas
I know that Koivu will do the right thing like he always does and say that it was an accident and it wasn't Justin Williams' fault, etc.

But just once I would absolutely love it if he would just rip into the guy. Something along the lines of:

"It was an accident, but you have to be responsible for your stick. He took me out of the rest of the series, and he didn't even get a penalty for it. That's unfair and ridiculous. Just imagine what could have happened to me if I wasn't even wearing a half-visor."

I think the press and fans in Montreal would go insane if Koivu just ranted about it...the passion that would show would win so many haters over.
I think that would have been highly unlikely because:

1) Koivu is a class act, and understands the inherent risks of playing hockey. Considering that everybody in hockey tends to agree that he is an ambassador for the game (the IOC sure thinks so), I doubt he would call someone out for an accident.

2) Mark Recchi is a good buddy of his, and he expressed Williams' remorse to Saku. I think Williams was genuine in his remorse.

Old
05-05-2006, 10:21 AM
SergeiKost99

Koivu said behind the eye there is still a lot of blood floating around. But he said he feels no pain anymore and it is getting better.

THe front of the eye is ok but the back part they still can't tell, and it might need surgery since there might be a tear of the reatna(sp)

Can you take us through the night and the nights following the injury? The first night and the next day were the toughest and he couldn't see out of the eye, only could see black.

What happened with the hospital incident? Well 2 guys walked in they said they were part of this company. Saku asked them to leave but they didn't. They took a picture and the flash from the camera affected his eye.He asked them to leave again but they didnt until the hospital stafff had to kick them out.

What about next season? he said his vision might not be 100% for next year but he still should be able to play.

Thoughts on Justin Williams? He said williams phoned him but his phone was not on and he left a voice mail. He watched the vidro several times and seen nothing wrong with it as it was unintentional. He has no hard feelings for williams

Old
05-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Legolas

Quote:
I think that would have been highly unlikely because:

1) Koivu is a class act, and understands the inherent risks of playing hockey. Considering that everybody in hockey tends to agree that he is an ambassador for the game (the IOC sure thinks so), I doubt he would call someone out for an accident.

2) Mark Recchi is a good buddy of his, and he expressed Williams' remorse to Saku. I think Williams was genuine in his remorse.
I agree completely, and I know there was no chance he was going to say anything controversial or negative...but I still would have loved to have seen it.

Besides, condemning the act isn't necessarily saying Justin Williams is not remorseful. Believe it or not, Todd Bertuzzi is probably super remorseful . But I still would have gone nuts if Koivu had sent a message that Williams was careless with his stick and that it ended up costing us the series.

If I had heard something like "I'm ** years old now and I've been in the league for over 10 years and I don't have that many more chances to play for the Stanley Cup and he took that away from me" I would have loved it.

Old
05-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Matrix

Journal de Montréal should be ashamed and do what's right once and for all, and give some excuses to Saks, To the Habs and to the Fans.

That is simply unacceptable, I usually buy that newspaper from time to time and bought that copy 'cause I really thought he had agreed to it. Now that we got screwed, they should make amends.....

But they won't.....

Old
05-05-2006, 11:07 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix
Journal de Montréal should be ashamed and do what's right once and for all, and give some excuses to Saks, To the Habs and to the Fans.

That is simply unacceptable, I usually buy that newspaper from time to time and bought that copy 'cause I really thought he had agreed to it. Now that we got screwed, they should make amends.....

But they won't.....
The rabid segment of the Montreal sporting press have to be reigned in.

If I'm Canadiens management/ownership I would demand an apology, if the apology was not forthcoming I would consider barring Le Journal de Montréal reporters from the Bell Centre. If I'm Koivu or his team mates, I never answer another question from a reporter from that rag again.

Old
05-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Istvan

Quote:

I thought Williams had a somewhat banal, half-assed smirk on his face when interviewed. I sincerely doubt that he gives a rat's arse. Just my opinion.

Old
05-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
The rabid segment of the Montreal sporting press have to be reigned in.

If I'm Canadiens management/ownership I would demand an apology, if the apology was not forthcoming I would consider barring Le Journal de Montréal reporters from the Bell Centre. If I'm Koivu or his team mates, I never answer another question from a reporter from that rag again.
The funny part of it is that they're one of the reason why we can't attract good players here and then those journalists have the nerve to go and say Gainey didn't do enough. I agree that they need to put more rules to restrain those journalists from getting in players' face all day long. I'm sick and tired of hearing the same ******** on all stations and sick and tired of knowing that if there were just fewer and more intelligent and respectful journalists, we would have a much better team.

Old
05-05-2006, 11:27 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix
The funny part of it is that they're one of the reason why we can't attract good players here and then those journalists have the nerve to go and say Gainey didn't do enough. I agree that they need to put more rules to restrain those journalists from getting in players' face all day long. I'm sick and tired of hearing the same ******** on all stations and sick and tired of knowing that if there were just fewer and more intelligent and respectful journalists, we would have a much better team.
I don't mind the repetitive droning by the same mindless hacks who cover the Habs, they're entitled to their opinions (truth is I tend to tune them out). But in this instance the Journal de Montréal crossed the line and put an injured players health at further risk to sell more newspapers.

Old
05-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Astaroth

What was up with the French craziness? I was just watching LCN and they were all wondering why doesn't Koivu speak French when he's been the Captain for so long. You'd think it wouldn't really matter at this point.

Old
05-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Madevilz

Who made that comment on LCN?
LCN aint ven a sport channel anyway

Old
05-05-2006, 05:12 PM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz
Who made that comment on LCN?
LCN aint ven a sport channel anyway
Oh one of their rotating commentators, a very efficient channel. Obviously it isn't a sport channel but they are an important channel with great ratings. And it wasn't just LCN, it was all the media that had an issue with it.

Old
05-05-2006, 05:34 PM
MissCanuck

That reporter at the press conference today... unbelievable. What a frigging butt.

Old
05-05-2006, 05:36 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCanuck
That reporter at the press conference today... unbelievable. What a frigging butt.
Do tell...

Old
05-05-2006, 05:37 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan
I thought Williams had a somewhat banal, half-assed smirk on his face when interviewed. I sincerely doubt that he gives a rat's arse. Just my opinion.

I wouldn't base my opinion on how a guy looks in an interview. I can believe he's remorseful, but I can't understand why he's not able to make thie neuronal connection high-sticking = potential of freaking injuries.

Now that's what I wanted to hear and see : apologize AND better control of his stick. I was freaking out whenever Williams was skating with his stick up in the air for the whole series after Koivu's injury.

There are inherent risks of playing professionnal hockey, most due to the speed of the skaters and the puck. But, somehow, you've got to learn how to reduce the risks for yourself and the others. Justin Williams didn't show any improvement in that area after he injured Koivu, and that's what bothers me.

But Koivu's vision planned to be back at 100% soon is just good news to put an end to a sadly shortened season.

At least until game 8 starts.

Old
05-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Teufelsdreck

Here's what Koivu had to put up with.

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...4bc1e4&k=23530

Here's how I (if I were Koivu) would have responded to a low-life interviewer who asked me a longwinded, convoluted question posed at a rapid pace in a relatively unfamiliar language: "Répétez, s'il vous plait." And after he did so, I would say, "Encore une fois, M. Farfelu."

Old
05-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
Here's what Koivu had to put up with.

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...4bc1e4&k=23530

Here's how I (if I were Koivu) would have responded to a low-life interviewer who asked me a longwinded, convoluted question posed at a rapid pace in a relatively unfamiliar language: "Répétez, s'il vous plait." And after he did so, I would say, "Encore une fois, M. Farfelu."
It saddens me that a guy with as much class as Saku Koivu has to be subjected to this type of non-sense. Acts like these suggest that playing in Montreal is a bigger deal than playing in any other city, because you have to contend with the language issues. Why can't people forget about this. This isn't hockey of hte 1950s, this is the 21st century. You look at football teams in Europe, where the mega clubs have players from all over the world, and don't generally discrimminate based on nationality or language. You don't see their media chastise their players for not speaking the native language.

It really is a farce, and it truly makes me upset. I hope that Saku doesn't think this is the prevailing opinion in Montreal, or elsewhere.

Closed Thread