Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Who stays and who goes?

Old
05-06-2006, 12:25 AM
Eb0la11

vCash: 500
Who stays and who goes?

Id like to see Amonte Hamrlik and Lombardi leave the squad if we can somehow rid ourselves of them. I think Hamr has a 3 year deal (2 left) and Amonte another year if Im right, in his deal?

Either way I think these 3 didnt do a heck of alot for us. Even though they are cheap I think Boyd within 1-2 years can match Lombardi's almost identical style, only with more offence and Amonte pretty much didnt do anything for us. Hes too small for our style of hockey, and he sure doesnt have the golden hands he used to have.

Anyone else got opinions? I think that Leopold needs to stay, hes too good defensively for us to lose him. Andrew Ference played amazing IMO for his skill set in the playoffs as well. He looked bad at the start of the year, but I agree with Preston, hes one of the best dmen in the NHL for his size.

Id also be pissed to see Iginla go and Sutter go through some kind of dumbass rebuilding phase. We have 2 more years where I think our window for a cup is possible. Kipper and Iggy's contracts are up after that, Regehr that year as well, or else the year before, as well as other important pieces.

What else do people think?

Also I think Sutter needs to draft some offence in the 06 draft if possible. We have enough good dmen in the big leagues and some decent one in the minors and in juniors and over seas.

Last edited by Eb0la11: 05-06-2006 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Forgot info
Eb0la11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 01:00 AM
hockeyfan06

I agree that Hammer needs to dealt with, IMO he was the worst on the team this year. I absolutley think Ference needs to stay, after all he is my favorite flame and has been since he was aqquired. The D is great and pretty much set up for next year. I, personally like Lombardi, yeah he didnt have a great year, but I think he will come into his own next year. I know this is going to sound like a broken record BUT we need a top center. Conroy was a big part of the flames, Langkow played well at the end of the season, but he does not fill that hole. I think the flames need to aqquire someone like (but not nessicarily) Doug Weight or Brad Richards. While I don't think the flames will get either of the two they need someone with a similar skill set: can set up plays, score, and play on a top line. I think if the flames can pick up one or two legitament goal scorers they should be fine next season. I dont think the flames offseason will hold a lot for the flames, but it should be interesting. I'm still wondering if sutter drop coaching and just be the GM for the flames.

hockeyfan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Eb0la11

I agree with some of your points. Id like to see Sutter focus on GM duties as well. I think Brent Sutter would be a real nice fit for our team, I hope we can get him in here. I dunno if the other guys like playfair and Preston are as good of fits. I like them as the number 2 men on the team in regards to coaching.

Sutter needs to put in like 2-3 strong draft years in a row IMO to help build our prospect pool. Last year looks to be a pretty decent year with guys like baldwin and keetley etc, so we need more players like that.

I dont agree about lombo, all he has is speed, he doesnt ever really do anything with it. I dont think he'll arrive at all next year, I think he'll maybe be an ok at best 2nd liner at the peak of his career. He doesnt have the puck skills/vision to ever really rack up points. Hes just like a decoy.

Old
05-06-2006, 05:33 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Giving up on Lombardi would be a major mistake at this point of his development. He needs better guys to play with.

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Jared Ramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Java

What are you guys talking about? Hamrlik was our best defenceman early in the year when Regehr went out. He had two major injuries this year which obviously affected his play. He was an early candidate for MVP of the flames around November. Hamrlik is a solid defenseman, and because of his poor playoff performance and 4 mil salary he has little trade value. If any d-man goes, it's Leo. He has the most value on the market, plus Ference has taken his spot.

And I agree trading Lombardi would be a mistake. His speed and skill is far and few on this team. No one is gonna take Amonte, and he performed well in the playoffs. None of these 3 players go IMO.

Java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Eb0la11

lol, the only one of the three that did much of anything was hamr. Hes not bad, but him and Phaneuf are a terrible pair. Hamr isnt that bad but his salary is quite large. Lombo does nothing out there and Amonte likewise IMO. They are ok hockey players, but man, they sure cant lead you anywhere or even be role players who pitch in occasionally. They have next to zero offence.

Old
05-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb0la11
lol, the only one of the three that did much of anything was hamr. Hes not bad, but him and Phaneuf are a terrible pair. Hamr isnt that bad but his salary is quite large. Lombo does nothing out there and Amonte likewise IMO. They are ok hockey players, but man, they sure cant lead you anywhere or even be role players who pitch in occasionally. They have next to zero offence.
Hamrlik and Phaneuf were quite a formidable pair when healthy. It was painful to watch them in the playoffs, but at least we know why they struggled. I don't understand why Sutter paired 2 injured d-men together, but that's beside the point. And honestly, your saying Lombardi does nothing out there? Can't be a role player? Your being a little harsh. Lombo is still young, is easily the best skater on the team, and logs minutes on both special teams.

Jared Ramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Java

I think you need to look at getting rid of guys like Donovan, Simon, Leclerc, and Ritchie before going after guys who actually performed this season in either the playoffs or regular season.

Java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 09:40 PM
abracanada

Phaneuf's injury explains why the Ducks went right at him. Anyone who thinks Hamr and Phaneuf aren't good together, hasn't seen them much. Things will be a little different if they skate at him next year.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 09:44 PM
herbiberous

amonte is absolutely atrocious

herbiberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 11:59 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ramsden
Hamrlik and Phaneuf were quite a formidable pair when healthy. It was painful to watch them in the playoffs, but at least we know why they struggled. I don't understand why Sutter paired 2 injured d-men together, but that's beside the point. And honestly, your saying Lombardi does nothing out there? Can't be a role player? Your being a little harsh. Lombo is still young, is easily the best skater on the team, and logs minutes on both special teams.
Much agreed, Lombardi is a solid contributer at both ends of the ice and likely would have out produced his point total from last year had he not been injured most of the year, if he can get healthy once and for all he has the ability to be a second line center, dealing him because Boyd might be ready in 2 years is a terrible idea.

And Craig Conroy is not a better player than Daymond Langkow, that is simply untrue. I agree that he is not a top flight number 1 guy, but he is more that capable as a number No. 2 and he has years of experience against top line competition.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 12:19 AM
hockeyfan06

I know a lot of people are really found of hammer. I really liked him at the beginning of the year, when Regehr was out. But when Regehr got back Hammer seemed to start slipping IMO. I don't know if it was do to health problems or not. I was really excited when Regehr got back because we had all of the top 6 D-men, but the Hammer just didn't play as well as he was before, and I found myself thinking that game after game and not just in the playoffs. He wasn't all that bad in the playoffs considering his partner Phaneuf had a broken foot. Im really iffy about Hammer in general still. He was great at times, average at others, and horrible sometimes also IMO. He just seems to be lacking consistency though IMO.

And as for Langkow and Conroy they are equal on the ice IMO. But they are not the same player, they have chemistry with differnt players. I think Langkow doesn't have the same chemistry with Iginla, but the did start to click late in the season. It will be interesting to see what will happen in the off season.

Yelle needs to be resigned IMO. He was a consistently good player. He takes important faceoffs for the flames and blocks a ton of shots. Huselius was a great player for the flames. He's stick handling is amazing so I think he should also be resigned. I really like Simon and Donovan but I'm not sure if they will be back next year. I think Simon has a better chance than Donovan because Simon is more of a "Sutter" player IMO. I'd also love to see Lundmark stay with the organization though.

Last edited by hockeyfan06: 05-07-2006 at 12:31 AM.
Old
05-07-2006, 12:28 AM
Eb0la11

I think Langkow is a heck of a hockey player, Conroy too. I like Langkow alot.

Anyways, I agree that guys like Leclerc and Simon need to be looked at as well before lombo and such. But I dont think a guy like Ritchie is that bad, he has almost zero finish, but he works harder than most on the team. As for Lombo, you mentioned his one attribute, (whoever responded to me) skating. He skates fast and thats about it, it really never materializes into much. I mean, he might someday develop more and learn how to use his speed to draw players out wide and create space in the middle for his linemates, but right now he pretty much never does anything but kill the clock when he has the puck. He holds onto it and then loses it and creates nothing, often trapping his team mates in the offensive zone because he held onto it too long.

He has some potential for sure, but why cant we find a vet who is cheap like a Carter or Brunette or something like that instead? I mean obviously those are two of the better FA signings of the offseason, but I dont think itd be that hard to find someone who can contribute more than lombo for the same price.

Also when I said Hamr needs to be dealt, I really dont see it happening because of his contract. I like his playoff performance more than Dion's for sure, but I dunno if hes worth 4 mill AT ALL... which is likely why we wont be able to deal him. He seems to take his sweet *** time getting back from injuries, then, at the same time, he seems to be injury prone.

Hamr might be a case of being underutilized. I think he needs more pp time instead of just rolling whoever is hot like sutter tended to do. I saw many times regehr and leopold on the pp this year since the other 3 (ference, phaneuf, hamr) werent producing during their pp time. I mean Regehr and Leopold for sure have offence in them, Regehr with the big shot and nice puck movement and leo with some dazzling offensive flare, which I still think can be top notch if hes given the ball and is able to run with it, but they werent part of an actual "unit"; therefore lacking in production/chemistry/confidence on the pp.

Sutter needs to get 2 units and stick it with them on the pp. I like his philosophy on the PK with having quick bursts of 20-30 second shifts if the Flames are able to dump it within that time, but our pp could be quite good (and it was improved) if we had guys who were dedicated to it.

So all that basically says that Id probably be willing to give Hamr another chance, but if I had to deal one of our top 6, itd be him.

Old
05-07-2006, 12:52 AM
hockeyfan06

I keep hearing rumours about Eric Nystrom or Brandon Prust being in the line up for the flames next year. Both are fairly good players, but I don't know how they would fair on the flames. I also don't know who would be the most likely to go if Sutter plans to get one or both of them to come up. I'm thinking that Ritchie or Donovan would go. I really like both of them as they work themselves to the bone, but thay didn't produce all that much offencivley but Dono is a RW and Ritchie is a C, both Prust and Nystrom are LW. Anyways I'm not to sure.

Old
05-08-2006, 07:02 PM
chriss_co

you definitely dont get rid of lombardi... if anything in the 1st round showed, it was a lack of speed on the part of the flames..

we need players like lombardi... i think he had an offseason this year.. could be contributed to that nasty ankle injury at the beginning of the season.. he seemed to lose a lot of confidence from that.. he was flying originally at the beginning of the year

i think lombardi might benefit playing w/ more skilled players... ie huselius.. that would be an interesting line.. huselius, lombardi and kobasew... of course, sutter would probably not do that line because of defensive faults.. that probably sums up another reason of why we lost.. we didn't generate enough offensive chances...

trading lombardi to another team would be suicide.. he's got alot of skill and speed.. he just needs the opportunity to translate that into results... we dont want to give up another st.louis or savard now, do we?

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 12:31 AM
Eb0la11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co
you definitely dont get rid of lombardi... if anything in the 1st round showed, it was a lack of speed on the part of the flames..

we need players like lombardi... i think he had an offseason this year.. could be contributed to that nasty ankle injury at the beginning of the season.. he seemed to lose a lot of confidence from that.. he was flying originally at the beginning of the year

i think lombardi might benefit playing w/ more skilled players... ie huselius.. that would be an interesting line.. huselius, lombardi and kobasew... of course, sutter would probably not do that line because of defensive faults.. that probably sums up another reason of why we lost.. we didn't generate enough offensive chances...

trading lombardi to another team would be suicide.. he's got alot of skill and speed.. he just needs the opportunity to translate that into results... we dont want to give up another st.louis or savard now, do we?
Well, sometimes you have to give up on players, for every st. louis there are 50 busts. Lombardi seriously does nothing. He just looks good cause hes fast and hangs onto the puck. He doesnt generate anything, the only reason he scored so much in junior is cause no one could catch him and he got break aways alot. I mean he might peak at like 20 goals, but I think we could deal him for a pretty decent player. Or package him maybe to move up in the draft if we're lucky?

Old
05-09-2006, 01:45 AM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

The worst thing Sutter could do is give up on the young players. I'd hang on to the Lombardis/Kobasews/Leopolds/and Lundmarks of the world for the time being (we don't have a lot of them to begin with.)

As far as who stays and who goes? Of all our UFAs the only two I'd consider bringing back are Yelle and Donovan, the rest can walk.

Future_KLM_Pilot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Body Checker

Is Yelle's 4 or 5 goals a year worth having in the lineup???? For all he brings in leadership and defensive awareness he still contributes nothing on the scoresheet.

I really like the guy and he is fine on the 4th line but not the 3rd line. Maybe we could use a guy like Jeff Halpern or Mike Sillinger to take his spot. Less defense but alot more O.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 12:10 PM
ZDogg

Trade/drop Amonte, Leclerc, Hamrlik, give Donovan a month next year to determine which player shows up. If Donovan doesn't step up trade him or send him to the Minors... hes cheap enough we can keep him around for a trial period.

As for the Lombardi issue I think he was one of Calgarys most exciting players this year. He stepped up with some nice goals and can play relatively well at both ends of the rink. We would be stupid to trade him (unless we got Havlat as someone proposed in another thread).

Flames need to add someone who is a solid faceoff man because the "new NHL" is so much about puck possession and we never seemed to win a draw.

Also, tell Iggy to take a pay cut so we can get him some offensive help.

ZDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 12:12 PM
JiriHrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker
Is Yelle's 4 or 5 goals a year worth having in the lineup???? For all he brings in leadership and defensive awareness he still contributes nothing on the scoresheet.

I really like the guy and he is fine on the 4th line but not the 3rd line. Maybe we could use a guy like Jeff Halpern or Mike Sillinger to take his spot. Less defense but alot more O.
Ask Avs fans how much that team has missed Yelle and you have your answer.

JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Body Checker

Avs had a solid offensive year and are in the second round because they can score.................don't think Yelle is missed that much....

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 12:59 PM
JiriHrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker
Avs had a solid offensive year and are in the second round because they can score.................don't think Yelle is missed that much....
No but many an Avs fan say they have missed guys like Yelle on the team since he was moved and point to that as being a reason for the team's inability to win another cup.

Hockey is more about scoring. Guys like Yelle are invaluable. Adding players like him were a huge part in turning the organization around from a bunch of losers to guys that know how to win.

JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

Yelle's not here for his offensive production, he's here for his leadership and defensive prowess. The gutsy shot-blocking, the penalty killing, the face-off winning, the fore-checking, the shadowing of the opposition's top centres (you'd be hard pressed to find anyone better.) Whatever offensive contribution we do get from him - as minimal as that may be - is a bonus.

Last edited by Future_KLM_Pilot*: 05-09-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Future_KLM_Pilot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 01:50 PM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
I doubt Yelle will be heading out, whenever he's out on the ice he just shuts down the opposition. Offensive production is a non factor, and don't expect your suggestions to do significantly better on a Sutter team.

If the Avalanche still had Yelle, they'd pose a very serious challenge to the Ducks and wouldn't have placed seventh this season.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 02:00 PM
ArizonaGreenTea

I like most here would like to see Amonte go, Leclerc, and either Hulse or Marchment. I don't understand the dislike for Hamirlik, his contribution to the team, though not as significant as Lydman's, was very important. Without him on the roster our PP would've been atrocious. He also provided leadership, allowing Phaneuf to flourish, his experience helped Phaneuf develop much faster and stay consistant.

I'd keep Ritchie, unlike most Flames, he managed to step up his game in the playoffs. He got a few offensive opportunities against the Ducks (mostly while we were down too), isn't that worth something on an offensively lacking team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDogg
Flames need to add someone who is a solid faceoff man because the "new NHL" is so much about puck possession and we never seemed to win a draw.

I may also add that the Flames need two lines that can effectively cycle the puck. The Flames do have some solid offensive talent (with five twenty or more goal scorers) but lack the abilty to cycle the puck properly, and since it's hard for them to find passing lanes Calgary loses out on alot of offensive chances.

Lastly, find a goaltender. I wish, above all other players, that we could get McLennan, Turek, or someone like them back. A goaltender who's good for 20 (even 30) games against most teams, and competent enough to get more than a .500 record in the process.

Last edited by ArizonaGreenTea: 05-09-2006 at 02:11 PM.
ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote