Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who stays and who goes?

Old
05-09-2006, 04:30 PM
kruezer

vCash: 500
Is McLennan a UFA this summer? If he would take a potential two way deal to get Krahn some games in the bigs I would take him back.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Jared Ramsden

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker
Is Yelle's 4 or 5 goals a year worth having in the lineup???? For all he brings in leadership and defensive awareness he still contributes nothing on the scoresheet.

I really like the guy and he is fine on the 4th line but not the 3rd line. Maybe we could use a guy like Jeff Halpern or Mike Sillinger to take his spot. Less defense but alot more O.
You can't have a team full of scorers and succed. You have to have a handful of role players doing the dirty work like playing the PK and taking key faceoffs. Yelle and Nilson(whom was missed somewhat I think down the stretch) are those type of guys that help make for successful teams.

Yes, we do need more scoring type guys, but you can't discard the value that guys like Yelle and Nilson provide. Those two, and McCarty are the sure fire grinders/checkers you keep around. Upgrading the rest of the checking units wouldn't be a bad idea though. A guy like Halpern or Sillinger or a Jan Bulis type would be a great 3rd line addition.....

Jared Ramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Zimmer12

I would like to see a big improvement of our power play. In the playoffs, the last couple games, they could not even enter the zone let alone set up. We need a good powerplay quarterback. Maybe Amonte, Hamrlik could be decent bait to draw a team for a quarterback on the powerplay.

Zimmer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

Stephane Yelle is one of the most underrated players in the NHL, he's the prototypical 'checking-line' centre. The only reason, I believe, he's never been nominated for the Frank J. is because he doesn't put up the offensive numbers as some of the others do (even though the award is meant for the best defensive forward in the National Hockey League.) I hope he (Sutter) doesn't end up making the same mistake with Yelle and Donovan as he did with Conroy and Gelinas, but that's just me.

Future_KLM_Pilot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Body Checker

Looks like I created a buzz, i wanted debate and i got it, enough said, Yelle coming back would be a good thing............

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 08:06 PM
kruezer

Yelle has to be brought back, he is the key to Calgary's defensive scheme, though I hope Calgary can gain so more offense, their is no need to sacrifice our best defensive center to do it.

Old
05-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Wags

I also think Yelle has to be brought back...but Donovan aka. Crazy Legs? This guy has to go...he has great speed, but he takes stupid costly penalties and has the hockey-sense of a mule. I also think Leclerc has to go (I'm still wondering what Sutter was thinking on that one). I'm also not a huge fan of Ference, good on the powerplay, but I'm sick of the penalties he takes because he gets beat in his own zone.

To summarize:

Yelle - stays
Donovan - don't let the door hit you on the way out
Leclerc - why did we get this guy in the first place...see ya
Ference - don't know if we can upgrade on someone more defensively sound if so...bye (besides...Lundmark can play point on PP)
Nilson - stays
Lombo - 1 more year, unless a great offer presents itself
Kobasew - 1 more year, unless a great offer presents itself
Loyns - why do we still pay this guy, IMO he will never make the jump
Simon - I think he was one of our best down the stretch...stays
Hamr - I thought he was good while healthy...but I think we could get someone cheaper who could perform very close to the same level

needs - get a number one center obviously

Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Realm

Dont trade Lombardi. I dont think they will be able to trade Hamrlik and if they are lucky enough it will be a cost dumping move so there wont be much return. Flames need to spend some money up front obviously. I wouldnt try and sign a big 5-6 million dollar forward but maybe 2 or 3 middle of the road type forwards like Geoff Sanderson, Andrew Brunette, and someone else.

Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Eb0la11

Holy smokes, I cant believe how many Flames fans are blinded by lombardis speed. Seriously, watch him next year, his speed produces nothing when he has no vision or finish. Occasionally he might actually get to the net, but most of the time he just goes so wide that he gets rubbed out on the boards or goes around the net. Hes relatively useless aside from some average to good defensive coverage. Kobasew is WAAAY better, he works harder and has more finish and like 85-90% of lombos speed. One year is the most id give him, cause I think he'll never amount to a second liner even, and thats about what he needs to be.

Here is my "to summarize:"

Yelle - stays
Donovan - sign him for a 1 year deal
Leclerc - why did we get this guy in the first place...see ya
Ference - Sign him to a longer term deal, 2-3 years. This guy is just turning the corner and is IMO the 3rd-4th best defensive dman on the flames behind leo, regehr and warrener.
Nilson - stays
Lombo - see ya
Kobasew - 2 more years at a minimal amount, I think within those two years he'll be good bang for your buck.
Loyns - why do we still pay this guy, IMO he will never make the jump
Simon - I think he was one of our best down the stretch...stays
Hamr - Meh, semi indifferent. He offers value to the team, but not great bang for your buck and must be paired properly or his defensive deficiencies are magnified.

Eb0la11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 08:28 AM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb0la11
Holy smokes, I cant believe how many Flames fans are blinded by lombardis speed. Seriously, watch him next year, his speed produces nothing when he has no vision or finish. Occasionally he might actually get to the net, but most of the time he just goes so wide that he gets rubbed out on the boards or goes around the net. Hes relatively useless aside from some average to good defensive coverage. Kobasew is WAAAY better, he works harder and has more finish and like 85-90% of lombos speed. One year is the most id give him, cause I think he'll never amount to a second liner even, and thats about what he needs to be.
Get rid of Lombo, only if we get that real first line center we've been waiting for. Like the Jokinen trade that almost came to fruition.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Eb0la11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraLeone
Get rid of Lombo, only if we get that real first line center we've been waiting for. Like the Jokinen trade that almost came to fruition.
Alright, everyone can keep loving lombo cause hes fast and young girls think hes hot. Other than that he brings nothing to the team. Lets end the discussion on him and see what happens. I think Im one of the few who think hes useless. Just cause he is fast and carries the puck doesnt mean hes good, especially not on this team.

Eb0la11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2006, 06:57 PM
digitalmonkey*

As a Habs fan, we'd be more than willing to take Lombardi off your hands. The guy is going to be a solid player in the NHL. Sutter is either bringing him along slowly or misusing him. Put this guy on a line with some offensively talented players and he'd bust out big time.

digitalmonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2006, 07:27 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraLeone
I like most here would like to see Amonte go, Leclerc, and either Hulse or Marchment. I don't understand the dislike for Hamirlik, his contribution to the team, though not as significant as Lydman's, was very important. Without him on the roster our PP would've been atrocious. He also provided leadership, allowing Phaneuf to flourish, his experience helped Phaneuf develop much faster and stay consistant.

I'd keep Ritchie, unlike most Flames, he managed to step up his game in the playoffs. He got a few offensive opportunities against the Ducks (mostly while we were down too), isn't that worth something on an offensively lacking team?

I may also add that the Flames need two lines that can effectively cycle the puck. The Flames do have some solid offensive talent (with five twenty or more goal scorers) but lack the abilty to cycle the puck properly, and since it's hard for them to find passing lanes Calgary loses out on alot of offensive chances.

Lastly, find a goaltender. I wish, above all other players, that we could get McLennan, Turek, or someone like them back. A goaltender who's good for 20 (even 30) games against most teams, and competent enough to get more than a .500 record in the process.
You may have something there. An ordinary Kipper in the playoffs didn't help. Maybe he was exhausted.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2006, 07:29 PM
Java

Why would we give up on Lombardi? He's one of our few skill and speed guys. He's barely even had time to develop. He's solid defensively and in the faceoff circle.

He's got the same type of game as the other two guys we gave away for basically nothing. Savard and St Louid. I don't understand your frustration with Lombardi.

As for Leclerc, I'd have him back at a reduced contract if he wanted to play here. We didn't really see enough of him to reserve judgement.

This team is a great team, and alot of player shuffling is not the answer imo. A top center and another year of experience for the young guys will give this team the boost it needs. Possibly a coaching change. I know they didn't show up at all for game 6 and 7, but there is blow up things for that very reason. This team needs to deal with being the favorite, and alot of player personnel changes are not the answer.

Java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 07:53 PM
ComixZone

Jarome Iginla $7 million
Roman Hamrlik $3.5 million
Miikka Kiprusoff $3.333 million
Stephane Yelle $2.8 million
Daymond Langkow $2.442 million
Rhett Warrener $2.35 million
Robyn Regehr $1.874 million
Tony Amonte $1.850 million
Marcus Nilson $1.368 million
Chris Simon $1.216 million
Jordan Leopold $1.150 million
Darren McCarty $800,000
Dion Phaneuf $785,300
Andrew Ference $750,000
Jamie Lundmark $575,000
Byron Ritchie $450,000

That's the contracts the flames have for the start of the '06/'07 season (off of tsn.ca)

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 09:56 PM
Zimmer12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Cool
Jarome Iginla $7 million
Roman Hamrlik $3.5 million
Miikka Kiprusoff $3.333 million
Stephane Yelle $2.8 million
Daymond Langkow $2.442 million
Rhett Warrener $2.35 million
Robyn Regehr $1.874 million
Tony Amonte $1.850 million
Marcus Nilson $1.368 million
Chris Simon $1.216 million
Jordan Leopold $1.150 million
Darren McCarty $800,000
Dion Phaneuf $785,300
Andrew Ference $750,000
Jamie Lundmark $575,000
Byron Ritchie $450,000

That's the contracts the flames have for the start of the '06/'07 season (off of tsn.ca)
So thats 32.24 mil in salaries. So that gives us something like this.

____-Langkow-Iginla
____-_______-Amonte
Nilson-Yelle-McCarty
Ritchie-Lundmark-Simon

Regehr-Leopold
Phaneuf-Hamrlik
Warrener-Ference

Kiprusoff
Krahn

So we basically have 7.8 mil to spend on free agents at the most. What should Lombardi and Kobasew sign for? 800,000 a piece? So the remainding should go for a first line winger or center and maybe resign Huselius. Potentially trade for a backup goaltender or sign one. I would like to see how this works out.

Zimmer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 10:23 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmer12
So thats 32.24 mil in salaries. So that gives us something like this.

____-Langkow-Iginla
____-_______-Amonte
Nilson-Yelle-McCarty
Ritchie-Lundmark-Simon

Regehr-Leopold
Phaneuf-Hamrlik
Warrener-Ference

Kiprusoff
Krahn

So we basically have 7.8 mil to spend on free agents at the most. What should Lombardi and Kobasew sign for? 800,000 a piece? So the remainding should go for a first line winger or center and maybe resign Huselius. Potentially trade for a backup goaltender or sign one. I would like to see how this works out.
Krahn should suffice as a backup goalie - I think that the Flames should re-sign Huselius and Kobasew and use the extra money (and perhaps Lombardi) to find a good center so that we can bump Langkow down to the second line. That would give us something like this:

Huselius - _______ - Iginla
Kobasew - Langkow - Amonte
Nilson - Yelle - McCarty
Simon - Ritchie - Lundmark

Regehr - Leopold
Hamrlik - Phaneuf
Warrener - Ference

Kiprusoff - Krahn

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 11:12 PM
kruezer

I think things are starting to shape up, Sutter's task is easy on the RFA front this year. Just singing Lombardi, Kobasew and Huselius will set things up nicely for a splash of one guy on the UFA market, depending on how much the cap is and how much the budget is, Calgary seems like they would have 3 million to spend IMO. So they basically can go for a C or LW and play Lombo in the other position.

UFA - Lombardi - Iginla
Huselius - Langkow - Kobasew
Nilson - Lundmark - Amonte
Simon - Yelle - McCarty
Ritchie, Nystrom

Regehr - Leopold
Hamrlik - Phaneuf
Warrener - Ference

Kiprusoff
Krahn

I believe that lineup can be attained for 36 to 36.5 million, leaving 3 to 3.5 mill to spend if Calgary goes to 40 mill, though they may remain lower.

Old
05-17-2006, 10:42 AM
therealdeal

Get rid of Kobasew, Hamrlik, Amonte, one of McDonald or Ritchie at least to start.

Can probably trade away Leopold for some firepower up front as well.

therealdeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2006, 04:06 PM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
I believe that lineup can be attained for 36 to 36.5 million, leaving 3 to 3.5 mill to spend if Calgary goes to 40 mill, though they may remain lower.
I think the salary cap will be going up, it'll be interesting to see how that affects the value of our RFAs and the UFA cost.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2006, 05:39 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal
Get rid of Kobasew, Hamrlik, Amonte, one of McDonald or Ritchie at least to start.

Can probably trade away Leopold for some firepower up front as well.
Why would you get rid of Kobasew? I can understand the others, but why trade Leopold for firepower and want to get rid of a player who is finally becoming a legitimate scoring threat?

As for getting rid of players, I will be furious if Chris Simon returns next year, the guy just isn't what we need anymore.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2006, 05:54 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck
Why would you get rid of Kobasew? I can understand the others, but why trade Leopold for firepower and want to get rid of a player who is finally becoming a legitimate scoring threat?

As for getting rid of players, I will be furious if Chris Simon returns next year, the guy just isn't what we need anymore.
I wouldn't mind having Simon around, as a fourth line/press box kinda guy, keep him around and ease Nystrom in the bigs, Eric doesn't need to develop at the AHL level any longer IMO, maybe I am just writing him off as a checker, but I believe he can learn all he needs to on Calgary's lower lines, since that will be where he stays.

But yeah, if Simon's option is picked up I will be upset, if they reject his option but keep him around for 800k or less I would be open to having him around.

Old
05-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Miko

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
I wouldn't mind having Simon around, as a fourth line/press box kinda guy, keep him around and ease Nystrom in the bigs, Eric doesn't need to develop at the AHL level any longer IMO, maybe I am just writing him off as a checker, but I believe he can learn all he needs to on Calgary's lower lines, since that will be where he stays.

But yeah, if Simon's option is picked up I will be upset, if they reject his option but keep him around for 800k or less I would be open to having him around.

I agree your point with Nystrom. He ready to play a role on the flames now.Some playing time on the lower lines will have a better impact on Nystrom's game and help his confidence rather then sticking him back down in Omaha for another year. Its time to see bring up our older prospects rather then sign older 4th line players.

Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2006, 11:04 PM
romanrules

if the cap hits the mid season projection of 45-46 mill i think the flames should try to pick up a weight/elias type player & a younger & faster version of simon
ie somebody who's big and throws there weight around taylor pyatt/brendan morrow types

romanrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2006, 11:54 PM
kruezer

What is the opinion around here on Marc Savard? I am sure he will price himself out of our range, but would he be welcomed back if they could get him cheap enough?