Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who stays and who goes?

Old
05-18-2006, 03:25 AM
Rakiet*

vCash: 500
I know it would never happen, but man I'd love to see either Elias or Sakic wearing our colours

Rakiet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 09:21 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck
As for getting rid of players, I will be furious if Chris Simon returns next year, the guy just isn't what we need anymore.
Then who would that leave you to drop the gloves? McCarty? Lundmark?

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 11:37 PM
Java

I'd take Savard back. He had some fairly good chemistry with Jarome, and the more skill, the better. As long as he adapts to the Sutter system he'd be a welcome addition. Although he was no saint, Gilbert did gave him more of a bad rap then he deserved imo.

Java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Body Checker

SAvard has great stat but is not as proven as Sakic or Elias. Those two guys will probably get between $6-$8 mil a season.

Savard could be had for around $4.0 - $4.5 i believe. If Calgary is happy with their bottom two lines then I would throw all available money at a guy like Savard.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Then who would that leave you to drop the gloves? McCarty? Lundmark?
I suppose even today you do need that kind of guy, but I would rather bring up an energy player (be it Nystrom or keep McDonald up full time) than just have Simon struggling to get down the ice then dropping the gloves, if he can be the Holmstrom-esque player he was in '04, then we should keep him, but I didn't see it this year and I'm not sure if he can play like that anymrre.But I would much (much) rather have Simon than sign a Craig Berube-type just for the sake of fighting, so I do agree with you on that (if that was the point you were trying to make anyway).

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Body Checker

If Simon will take a one year deal around $700,000 then yeah bring him back but if he wants a million or more cut him loose.........

Old
05-19-2006, 07:47 PM
abracanada

I thought Simon's skating was considerably better when he played on a line with two speedsters. He took a season off, and he is one guy that really should not have. I would give him another go around in the upcoming season. If that is done for a smaller sticker price, so much the better.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
I suppose even today you do need that kind of guy, but I would rather bring up an energy player (be it Nystrom or keep McDonald up full time) than just have Simon struggling to get down the ice then dropping the gloves, if he can be the Holmstrom-esque player he was in '04, then we should keep him, but I didn't see it this year and I'm not sure if he can play like that anymrre.But I would much (much) rather have Simon than sign a Craig Berube-type just for the sake of fighting, so I do agree with you on that (if that was the point you were trying to make anyway).
No comparison b/t Simon and Berube. The days of one-demensional toughguys are gone. Chris Simon brings more to the table than just an intimidation factor. He's never been fully utilized. A similar situation occured with the Sabres in the early-mid 90's. Do you realize they attempted to allow Dave Andreychuk on a line with Pat Lafontaine & Alex Mogilny, after Yuri Khymlev failed to deliver the goods? It probably took close to ten minutes for Andreychuk to get his *** up ice. OK, exaggeration for effect, but the point being is that there aren't that many really big LW's, who can be counted on to park in front of the net and tie up one or two d-men.

The jury is still out on Nystrom, although he'll probably find a spot on a line with Yelle, somebody he can learn from. As far as McDonald as concerned...players of that ilk are a dime a dozen. He's all wheels with not much else to sustain a career. Neither one has proven anything yet. So, jumping to rash conclusions wouldn't help the club's future. Simon was a popular designated whipping boy, since Weimer got run out of town.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 01:12 AM
therealdeal

Quote:
Why would you get rid of Kobasew? I can understand the others, but why trade Leopold for firepower and want to get rid of a player who is finally becoming a legitimate scoring threat?

As for getting rid of players, I will be furious if Chris Simon returns next year, the guy just isn't what we need anymore.
Because Kobasew is terrible, he'll never do anything, he's too small and too slow, all he does is get body checked.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 03:22 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal
Because Kobasew is terrible, he'll never do anything, he's too small and too slow, all he does is get body checked.
He'll never do anything? He already did score 20 goals, and on Calgary's anemic offense that is stellar, unless he is in a package for a very good top liner, it would be ill advised to deal him just because of the unrealistic expectations everyone holds for him, give him some time and a setup man.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 01:22 PM
Body Checker

i agree with Kruezer, Calgary's style is not exactly nurturing for our offensive players, that's why a coaching change may be what is needed, open things up a bit and let them have fun, with UFA age reaching 27 in a few years young guys like Kobasew will leave for greener offensive pastures if they are not allowed to express themselves offensively............

Old
05-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
What is the opinion around here on Marc Savard? I am sure he will price himself out of our range, but would he be welcomed back if they could get him cheap enough?
I'd take him. If D. Sutter could get him at a reasonable price whether he signs him might have a lot to do with what Brian Sutter thought of him. Savard had a 53 point season under Brian. If Brian says it's a good idea I'd expect to see Darryl offer him for upwards of 4 million (if it's more than 5 I think Sutter will look somewhere else).

Unless, of course, Savard doesn't want to sign with the Flames, which is a possibility. But that's probably not an issue as Regehr and Iginla are the only Flames left from that era IIRC.

Sec of Partying Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 05:09 PM
Olly2

Next Year's edition....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb0la11
Id like to see Amonte Hamrlik and Lombardi leave the squad if we can somehow rid ourselves of them. I think Hamr has a 3 year deal (2 left) and Amonte another year if Im right, in his deal?

Either way I think these 3 didnt do a heck of alot for us. Even though they are cheap I think Boyd within 1-2 years can match Lombardi's almost identical style, only with more offence and Amonte pretty much didnt do anything for us. Hes too small for our style of hockey, and he sure doesnt have the golden hands he used to have.

Anyone else got opinions? I think that Leopold needs to stay, hes too good defensively for us to lose him. Andrew Ference played amazing IMO for his skill set in the playoffs as well. He looked bad at the start of the year, but I agree with Preston, hes one of the best dmen in the NHL for his size.

Id also be pissed to see Iginla go and Sutter go through some kind of dumbass rebuilding phase. We have 2 more years where I think our window for a cup is possible. Kipper and Iggy's contracts are up after that, Regehr that year as well, or else the year before, as well as other important pieces.

What else do people think?

Also I think Sutter needs to draft some offence in the 06 draft if possible. We have enough good dmen in the big leagues and some decent one in the minors and in juniors and over seas.
Base on what we have on the current roster, I would sign one FA. Alexei Morozov. I would also sign Taratukhin and Trubachev. It's time we see what they have.

I would then create 3 scoring lines.

Line 1
Huselius-Lundmark-Iginla

Line 2
Kobasew-Langkow-Morozov

Line 3
Nystrom-Lombardi-Amonte

Checking Line
Nilson-Yelle-McCarty

D-men
W.Regehr, Phaneuf, Leopold, Warrener, Ferrence, Giordano

Goaltenders
Kiprusoff and Krahn

Extras
Ritchie, MacDonald, and Hulse

It's time Lundmark and Kobesaw got minutes. No matter how much skill you have, until you play regularly, it's not going to happen for you. It these guys don't work out, you try David Moss or one of the Russians.

Good bye to Hamrlik, Leclerc, Simon, Donovan, Marchment, and Boucher.

I am not sure who is still under contract and who is a FA, but as far as I am concerned, these players no longer help this organization.

Olly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2006, 06:34 PM
abracanada

Morozov is an interesting suggestion. I don't know that he would replace Kobasew on the right side though. The other thing is that moving Hamrlik may be tough to do. He is pretty well paid. It would be interesting to see how he responds to being in his contract year playing with Phaneuf who will have another year of experience and confidence.

Old
06-04-2006, 12:14 AM
kruezer

I'd say right now I don't think Lundmark can handle that many minutes, he can play great on the PP and against lesser competition, but at this point in time Lombardi is the superior player IMO and I think it will show next year if Sutter does begin next year with Yelle and the three L's at center.

Kobasew, OTOH, is ready for top 6 minutes IMO.

Old
06-04-2006, 01:20 AM
Hunter74

I am not sure Lundmark can handle big minutes either. I like the idea of splitting up the 2nd line time between Lundmark and Lombard based on there play. I think it would take pressure off both those young centers and help motivate them at the same time. Maybe have 1 of them on the wing every once and awhile or whatever but they could benefit from some healthy competition. Big question is will Sutter let them play or will they be stuck playing 10mins each while the top line plays 22 and Yelle plays 18mins. If that happens (again) I see Lombardi, Lundmark and Kobasew start taking steps back and giving up on Sutter. Why play for a coach who wont even play you when you are playing your best and out performing others while trying to contribute to wins.

I really like Kobasew with Lundmark more than with Lombardi as I dont think Lombo and Kobasew have very good chemistry.

I don't know why people expect Kobasew to be a great big goal scorer he was a good scorer as a prospect but his big thing was he scored clutch goals in big games when his teams needed them. Thats what made him so attractive and thats what we should be hoping he can do with us soon. I can see him being a 30 goal scorer but also being a clutch goal scorer like Chris Drury which imo is more valuable than a 40 goal man where most of his goals don't mean much.

Hunter74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 09:11 PM
abracanada

Kobasew and Lundmark both played about 12 minutes per game. That is different than teams like Buffalo who seem to spread the minutes around. I would like to see the Flames use the young guys more too - does that fit with Sutter type hockey? Not likely.

Old
06-05-2006, 12:33 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada
Kobasew and Lundmark both played about 12 minutes per game. That is different than teams like Buffalo who seem to spread the minutes around. I would like to see the Flames use the young guys more too - does that fit with Sutter type hockey? Not likely.
Yeah, this is the main reason why I hope Playfair comes in, I think Playfair would be more open minded to playing the young guys, I just don't trust Sutter with the development of young players at all.

Old
06-05-2006, 12:33 AM
hockeyfan06

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada
Exactly, Kobasew and Lundmark played well this season and they put up good numbers considering the amount of time they spent off the ice. Sutter tends to overload others with ice time and leave others sitting over 75% of the time on the bench. If he spreads the ice time around, the flames could be better than this year.

hockeyfan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 12:40 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hunter74
I really like Kobasew with Lundmark more than with Lombardi as I dont think Lombo and Kobasew have very good chemistry.
I agree with this, I think Lombardi fits the best with Iginla personally, they always play well together, I really want to see what Kobasew could do with Huselius and Langkow personally, if Sutter does find Iginla the setup man everyone wants him to get, I hope that Lombardi ends up being the C/LW on that line and Huse/Lang/Kob ends up as the second line.

Old
06-05-2006, 01:34 AM
Hunter74

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
I agree with this, I think Lombardi fits the best with Iginla personally, they always play well together, I really want to see what Kobasew could do with Huselius and Langkow personally, if Sutter does find Iginla the setup man everyone wants him to get, I hope that Lombardi ends up being the C/LW on that line and Huse/Lang/Kob ends up as the second line.
I still dont really understand Lombardi's game. He's got great speed and vision but he doens't really set up plays all that often unless he and Kobasew are just so out of whack that its not usually an option. He clicks with Iggy pretty well which frustrates me b/c Sutter wont play them together.

Lombardi is a decent shooter(doesn't shoot much) and has some pretty good finishing moves in close so is he is kinda a finisher but he sure can pass the puck as well. Its so hard to say what these young guys can do playing under Sutter b/c they seem so up tight and worried about making mistakes that it has a negative impact on there play. Vets might be able to handle Sutter's style but young guys might take longer to get used to the amount of intolerance Sutter has for young players. There always on the cust of being replaced despite there good performances.

We need someone who can get the most out of Kobasew and Lombardi and right now Sutter isn't doing that imo. Even Huselius in the playoffs who ended up playing with Yelle and McCarty. why?? Its enough to make you want to through something at the T.V but its so precious.

Hunter74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Shamrocks

It was nice to see Huselius playing with the puck on the PP. He has hands of gold, and it was nice when he was on Iginla's line, but with Tanguay coming in, and we will have to pay him handsomely, so he will be getting the top minutes on the left side. Kobasew and Lombardi are great young players, and calgary shouldn't get rid of these guys. Lombardi doesn't have speed which is great in the new NHL. I think Lombardi and Amonte would be nice together with Huselius. Here are my thoughts..

Tanguay - Langkow - Iginla
Huselius - Lombardi - Amonte
Nilson - Lundmark - Kobasew
Nystrom - Yelle - Donovan

Phaneuf
Hamrlik
Ro. Regehr
Ference
Warrener
Ri. Regehr

Kiprusoff
Krahn

Nilson is capable of putting up 30+ points in a season as he did with Florida, and I would like to see him with some more ice time to show that he can do it. he was drafted 1/20 for a reason. Put him on a line with some goal scorers and he will put points up. IMO.

Last edited by Shamrocks: 06-29-2006 at 12:53 PM.
Shamrocks is offline   Reply With Quote