HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pathetic. Did Anyone Here This Story About Koivu?

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Alain Racette

vCash: 500
Pathetic. Did Anyone Here This Story About Koivu?

From TSN's "The Reporters." It's on their website.

Michael Farber, Sports Illustrated: My thumb is down to the TVA network reporter who asked Saku Koivu ''Shouldn't the captain of the Montreal Canadiens speak French?'' My response would be ''Well, the captain of the Canadiens should score 35 goals, maybe be a plus-15 and most importantly lead the team at least into the second round of the playoffs.'' But this is Montreal and we still have the Berlitz Wall. Even though Saku Koivu speaks three languages, apparently it's not good enough. If you are a free agent, why in the world would you come to this city with high taxes, a rabid media and a language question looming over you.

Pretty sad if you ask me.

Old
05-07-2006, 06:17 PM
BigStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Racette

Michael Farber, Sports Illustrated: My thumb is down to the TVA network reporter who asked Saku Koivu ''Shouldn't the captain of the Montreal Canadiens speak French?'' My response would be ''Well, the captain of the Canadiens should score 35 goals, maybe be a plus-15 and most importantly lead the team at least into the second round of the playoffs.'' But this is Montreal and we still have the Berlitz Wall. Even though Saku Koivu speaks three languages, apparently it's not good enough. If you are a free agent, why in the world would you come to this city with high taxes, a rabid media and a language question looming over you.

brutal, like speaking french makes you a better hockey player/captain. IMO its dumb thats its even an issue, he plays with his heart on his sleeve what else do they want?

Old
05-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Rahan

Quote:

How is that a story about Koivu?... It's more about a stupid question TVA asked.

Old
05-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:

You've got to remember it is Quebec and these issues will come up from time to time. This is a province where the FLQ still exist in pockets...30% of them want to sperarate.

Old
05-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Alain Racette

^
I know, but the language issue still seems ridiculous to me.

Old
05-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Evil Ted

I watched the reporters this morrning and saw that, i think its good that he mentioned it as his thumb down, its ridiculous we dont live in the dark ages anymore people who feel that way should be ashamed of themselfs.

Old
05-07-2006, 06:31 PM
The n00b King ©*

see, i think it's important for someone to know how to speak french if you're going to get involved in politics. But why on earth should it be an issue in sports???

The guy is a hockey icon for crying out loud! He brings so much more to this community and yet, he's still not good enough for certain people. He does'nt want to learn french. So freaking what? He doesnt need to do so. Sheesh...even if he did speak any french, do you think he'd speak it to the people to whom it matters? Like his teamates?

In the end, Koivu *could* just give in, and learn a bit more of french, just so these moronic reporters shut the hell up. But it still wont be enough. They'll still find something else to gripe about...

Im sure some of them dont even care, it's all about the publicity, the shocking issue. It helps them sell their stuff. And when you rely on criticizing someone for not speaking a certain language to sell your stock, you know your stock isnt worth much...

Old
05-07-2006, 06:31 PM
phil

TVA sucks IMO... overall... not just in sports

Old
05-07-2006, 06:33 PM
VanNistelrooy

TVA doesn't show sport, apart from the boxing shows they put on one time a month.

Old
05-07-2006, 06:38 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

I am willing to accomodate the Montreal press and make sure they have first crack at all players from St.Pierre Miquelon. Get their captain there. He may not be any good but he'll be able to wax poetic in the most beautiful french.

Old
05-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Taupy

All his article is crap. Yes, it would be cool if Saku would speak french (hey, he said Merci Beaucoup at the end of his interview ) but people are starting to be obsessive about it. French is a difficult language to learn, and if he took a lot of time to learn english just imagine how long it would take for him to learn french.

But like Recchi said, maybe he already knows somes words, but can't understand sentence yet. I hope that he will learn it, but if he don't it's not a big deal, he'll still be in my favorite players.

Old
05-07-2006, 06:47 PM
tml_4ever
It's Chaotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin_goon
see, i think it's important for someone to know how to speak french if you're going to get involved in politics. But why on earth should it be an issue in sports???

The guy is a hockey icon for crying out loud! He brings so much more to this community and yet, he's still not good enough for certain people. He does'nt want to learn french. So freaking what? He doesnt need to do so. Sheesh...even if he did speak any french, do you think he'd speak it to the people to whom it matters? Like his teamates?

In the end, Koivu *could* just give in, and learn a bit more of french, just so these moronic reporters shut the hell up. But it still wont be enough. They'll still find something else to gripe about...

Im sure some of them dont even care, it's all about the publicity, the shocking issue. It helps them sell their stuff. And when you rely on criticizing someone for not speaking a certain language to sell your stock, you know your stock isnt worth much...
^ Ladies and gentlemen, i present to you...the voice of reason and truth

Old
05-07-2006, 06:50 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisshockeyAcademy
I am willing to accomodate the Montreal press and make sure they have first crack at all players from St.Pierre Miquelon. Get their captain there. He may not be any good but he'll be able to wax poetic in the most beautiful french.
Well said. The media should be asking questions like "Why does Quebec produce such piss-poor centremen?" instead of wondering why Saku doesn't speak french. If Quebec started churning out more talent than Simon Gamache and Yanick Lehoux, then I'd say the odds of our capitain speaking french would increase.

Old
05-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Alain Racette

English, I'm sure, was hard enough for Saku. French would be just as difficult because French and English are in different language streams (French = Romantic; English = Germanic). Finnish is a whole other animal entirely.

He speaks Finnish and English fluently. What's the third language? I wonder if it's Swedish... if it is, then he must have had an easier time learning English (as they're both Germanic languages, if I recall).

Old
05-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Teufelsdreck

It's relatively easy to read French and to handle the grammar (although the cases, an offshoot of Latin, are tricky for an English speaker). German grammar and syntax are much more difficult, but the pronunciation is much easier for a newbie because once he learns the basics he's got it made even if he doesn't know the vocabulary. Au contraire, c'est difficile à parlez en français because he would have to learn to constrict his nasal passages at times and treat certain consonants almost as though they didn't exist. For example, what purpose does the letter h serve in French? And why aren't the n and t in comment fully articulated? And it's Richar(d), not Richard.

Old
05-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
The fact that they asked that question on Saku's first outing since the injury is what pisses me off. Instead of asking questions about his health/future, they ask why he doesn't speak French. They asked Gainey too. ****ing morons.

Old
05-07-2006, 07:30 PM
KaptainKourage*

****ing morons. Morons. Yes its the damn right word...

They assk the question to BG and he said '' Well, hes wife talk french pretty well som maybe he sould spend more time with her '' io

But yeah. Stupid question but Le Baron (RDS) also did this comment.. i really dont care if saku speak french or not...

Old
05-07-2006, 08:36 PM
BORAT

This is a disgrace ... but even worst, it's making me feel we need a '' Reform '' in the media here, a Grave and urgent reform.

Did anyone here Brian Savage and Gainey speak French ?????????

I'd rather Bone Rosy O'donnell that listen to a Gainey interview in French !!!

Old
05-07-2006, 08:38 PM
joepaco

who is the reporter who asked this stupid question ???

Old
05-07-2006, 08:43 PM
AlexCvm

I can't wait for a non english speaker to be the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs for instance...let's say...a french canadian that can't say a word in english.

Not that stupid of a question by the reporter.

Old
05-07-2006, 08:46 PM
tinyzombies

Well, we hold our journalists to a higher standard I guess. They should know better than to stir something like this up for no reason (other than ratings). But it is important that this team have a French identity to the local people. I think that if two players are equal, they should preserve that identity as much as possible. I don't see anything wrong with that. It's the tradition of the team. This is a French province, hello.

Old
05-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Taupy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaco

Old
05-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Taupy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaco
TVA guy.

Old
05-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT
This is a disgrace ... but even worst, it's making me feel we need a '' Reform '' in the media here, a Grave and urgent reform.

Did anyone here Brian Savage and Gainey speak French ?????????

I'd rather Bone Rosy O'donnell that listen to a Gainey interview in French !!!
As handsome as you may be, Rosie wouldn't bang you.

Old
05-07-2006, 08:51 PM
MetalMilitia

Isn't this why the Quebec franchise moved to Colorado? There wasn't enough players on the team that spoke french or some thing ridiculous like that?

Closed Thread