HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Latendresse...

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2006, 06:43 PM
wikiwa

vCash: 500
Latendresse...

Let's start this one more time!!

Will Guillaume Latendresse make the team next year???
Gainey said that he will have to proof himlelf one again... lat year wasn't enough??

some says that it's Kost's turn... what about playing both?

Last edited by wikiwa: 05-08-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old
05-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Madevilz

Kost is more ready, no doubt.

But Id put my money on Lapierre before both Kost and Lats.

Old
05-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Habsology

There will be more then one place for new player : (Sundstrom and Bulis gone).

Old
05-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsology
one ufa probably, and Kost or Lapierre.

Old
05-08-2006, 07:00 PM
znk

I was really disapointed with Latendresse's lack of consistency last year especialy after the amazing training camp he had. Also the fact that he was stripped of his A late in the year tells me he probably needs an other year in the junior to really take the leadership of his team. But well see how he does at training camp.

Old
05-08-2006, 07:01 PM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsology
Zednik, too.

Right now, we only have 2 LW able to play as soon as next season : Chris Higgins and Garth Murray. Higgins is our #1 LW but Murray is nothing more than a 4th line energizer.

At the right wing, Kovalev & Ryder are lock on the top 2 lines. Perezhogin will also stay with the Habs all-season long next year.

Bégin and Plekanec can both play wing, but Plekanec is better as center that as winger so let try Bégin at left wing.

So it remains 1 LW spot and 1 RW spot for Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Ferland and Latendresse or a possible UFA. My guess is that Latendresse stay in the Q one more year, we sign a good forward and Kost take the last spot at the wing.

Edit : Also, we can trade Ribs and keep Begin as center, by this way we will have 2 spot to fill-in but I think Lapierre is more ready than Latendresse.

Old
05-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Sundstrom was like the 14th forward on the team, so it's not like he will really free a roster spot.

Back on topic, I also think Latendresse will have to earn his spot, as will Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Ferland, Milroy, Burtulin... eeeee where am I... ? Anyway, I think Lapierre will earn a place for sure, he has so much desire and passion, grit, speed... and probably some offensive potential to boot !

I hope for Kostitsyn too, if we can get rid of Zednik, and, why not, Ferland or Chipchura if Ribs get cooked away (so Plekanec can take his place)

Wishful thinking...

Old
05-08-2006, 07:09 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

It's hard to say what will be best for each prospects development, cause you want them to play as much as possible but then again we have to make the playoffs. Lapierre is a guy that I could see forcing the Habs to keep him around. I think he's like Begin/Murray but with a little more offense. That said he has the luxory of being able to go back and forth.

I fully expect Lapierre, Kostitsyn, Cote and Ferland to see time with the Habs, with Chipchura likely getting in some games. Injuries will play a big part though.

Latendresse at this point I wouldn't think he'd make the Habs, but on the other hand I don't know if going back to Drummondville would be worth it. It's going to be a tough choice but we also have to see who's at camp, who's not and how they all play.

I hope to see Perezhogin have a big year next season (he was the youngest player on the Habs this year, full time wise)

I hope to see Kostitsyn make the Habs full time. But he's still got work to do. What they chose to do with him will be interesting.

Lapierre could make the Habs 4th line imo but I wouldn't mind seeing him back in Hamilton to work on his offensive game and try and cut down on the unecceassary pims.

Ferland I could see him fighting it out with Lapierre for a 4th line spot. But it won't be easy to unseat Begin, Murray and Bonk.

Cote will be fighting for a 7th d spot. We'll see if Sreit is back, seems like Simpson is gone most likely and Bouillon I expect back since the new rules are good for him. brining in a guy like Emelin could make things interesting

Danis I wonder what they will do with since I don't think he can play in Hamilton without clearing waivers.

There's also Locke who I don't expect to see any time with the Habs aside from injuries, but one trend I'v noticed is that every guy that's been our leading scorer in the AHL has played at least a couple games with the Habs. Plekanec, Ryder, Ward, Gratton, Landry, Ribeiro, Sevigny, Houde...

Old
05-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Danis I wonder what they will do with since I don't think he can play in Hamilton without clearing waivers.
So Halak is locked as the number one goaltender in Hamilton for next season right?
Well Danis wasnt too bad when he played in Montreal, he's more than ready for the backup position. Unless we keep both Aebiescher and Huet which is very unlikely lol

Old
05-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

In order to follow the trend....what would it take to trade for Olivier Latendresse??? Would Phoenix start listening if Aebi's name is mentioned since Joseph won't be there forever.....Not saying one on one, but we have some proven NHL players Phoenix might want, we may then grab some UFA's while grabbing some youth in the process (Lisin, Hanzal, Stephenson.....)

Old
05-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Ok this Latendresse hype is getting out of hand.
Last year I was one of those guy that wanted latendresse with the habs BADLY, because IMO you rarely have the chance to find a true power-forward from quebec quite often.
I was so piss when we drafted price, I swear for like 2 hours.. I was following the draft on RDS and then at the end they said that we drafted latendresse by trading up, I was so happy that I jumped everywhere in my house. To tell you the truth I would have been less piss to see the habs draft latendresse at 5 than price (mainly because of theodore). Even at that time and how high I was on him, I knew he had lots to learn before playing in the NHL. He worked hard on his skating last summer and it helped him for the rookie camp and the main camp but he became inconsistent during the year. I believe that the hype surrounding him affected his play a lot. The fact is that he still needs to work again on his skating, lateral movement and agility on ice. On pure skills he could play on the NHL but if he really want the job, he would have to work even harder than last summer and surpass everybody in front of him on the depthchart.
Could he play for the habs next year, maybe, but he'll have to work very hard to get his spot.

Old
05-08-2006, 09:05 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz
So Halak is locked as the number one goaltender in Hamilton for next season right?
Well Danis wasnt too bad when he played in Montreal, he's more than ready for the backup position. Unless we keep both Aebiescher and Huet which is very unlikely lol

I don't know for sure what the status is with Danis, if he can be sent down or not. If he can't be sent down without having to clear waivers, I'd hate to see him lost for nothing. That said Gainey has to do something since only Halak is under contract for next season and I can't see paying Abby big bucks to backup Huet. So if Abby gets moved, then I could see Danis as the backup with Halak getting the nod in Hamilton.

With the way Halak played in Hamilton, I got to think he will see a lot of time next year with the Dogs no matter who's there with him.

Quote:
what would it take to trade for Olivier Latendresse
I don't know but why would Gainey trade for him. If Gainey is looking at prospects, I hope they are D prospects cause Hamilton could be in bad shape especially if Cote were to make the Habs as the 7th and O'Byrne stays at Cornell next year.

Old
05-08-2006, 09:21 PM
DerekT

I read a Gazette article on Latendresse at around the end of the Q regular season.

He talked about all the hype that was on him, losing his A, and turning around his game to finish the season quite strong. I followed him and at the end he was putting up points every game.

Basically, he knew the hype probably went to his head too much, and he came back down when he lost the A. I think he realised what he needed to do to succeed and matured quite alot. I might be wrong but I also believe he suffered a close loss in the family, which changed his view on things.

I think this kid has gone ahead years in maturity, and all it will take is a consistent solid effort during the training camp. If he can do that, I don't think he needs the Q for one more year. Atleast give him 4th line duties and work him into a solid 2nd line player.

Old
05-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Mtl6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiK_CH
Let's start this one more time!!

Will Guillaume Latendresse make the team next year???
Gainey said that he will have to proof himlelf one again... lat year wasn't enough??

some says that it's Kost's turn... what about playing both?

Of course last year wasn't enough. I wouldn't keep him on the team if he is not at least as good as last trainning camp.

Old
05-08-2006, 09:30 PM
Mtl6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz

I personnaly think Halak is one of the best surprises this season for the HABS. I never thought he would be that good in his first year, the hell, in his career! He is the only guy who has been able to have a shutout with the Bulldogs even thought Huet, Danis, Conklin, Michaud and Deslauriers played there too.

Old
05-08-2006, 09:32 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Yes he will have to prove himself all over once again. While he did have a good enough camp, it was not good enough to make the team this year so why would it be good enough to make it next year? I would rather see them take their time with him unless he impresses beyond a doubt.

Old
05-08-2006, 09:39 PM
deandebean

Latendresse will be like any other rookie MOntreal will have at the camp. If we're lucky, and Bob makes a solid trade for a better pick, who knows? We could see Derek at camp and BE the center of attention. You never know. Savard and Timmins are having daily hard-ons about the GAtineau kid.

Old
05-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Habsology

Old
05-08-2006, 10:45 PM
henri2014

Lats will have to have a great camp...

Why would Carbo want to have a guy that doesnt perform in camp
But on the other hand why would carbo dump a guy who performs very well in camp and that has his size and his skills?

Old
05-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
Savard and Timmins are having daily hard-ons about the GAtineau kid.
Good, I remember last year they convinced Bob that they HAD to trade up for Latendresse once he fell into round 2, hopefully they can convince Bob that they need to attempt to trade up this year in order to get Brassard.

Old
05-08-2006, 10:55 PM
kas

I'd like to see him show consistency in the juniors, given that keeping him would cost us a guy like Ferland who we'd have to leave unprotected. He turned it on towards the end of the season, but I want him to learn to play with that drive every game and I'd also like to see him work on his leadership skills and defensive game.

Guys making the jump next year at F:
Kostitsyn (showed the skills, was very good at the end of the year, could be a surprise late cut, but he's ahead of Gui in his overall development so it's doubtful he gets cut for Latendresse)

Lapierre (he was ready at the end of this year, IMO this guy is a more skilled Begin (and maybe faster too). He'll be an instant fan-favourite and I can't wait to see him and Steve together for a full season.

Ferland (I think he'll stick as a grinder and plugger on our 4th line. Has the size and plays with energy. Has some offensive potential too. The only thing is he isn't a great skater but I think he can make up for it with other things he brings.)

Old
05-09-2006, 08:05 AM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Latendresse at this point I wouldn't think he'd make the Habs, but on the other hand I don't know if going back to Drummondville would be worth it. It's going to be a tough choice but we also have to see who's at camp, who's not and how they all play.
Can he play in Hamilton even if he has 1 yr of eligibility left in the Q?

Honestly, if he doesn't make the Habs roster next year (and I'm not convinced he will or is ready) I think his development is hampered by having to play in the Q again. I think he needs to be challenged and maybe be surrounded by stronger players rather than being the go to guy.

Old
05-09-2006, 08:28 AM
JackieChan

I saw him at a club in the 'Vieux Port' last week, nice place to party, cheap beer, everybody gets drunk...but not him. The kid behaves, that's a good sign.

Old
05-09-2006, 08:46 AM
Forum Ghost

Hamilton would be the best place for Lats next year - a step up from the Q for his development - and Chipchura is bound to be a good influence on him.

Old
05-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov#79
Zednik, too.

Right now, we only have 2 LW able to play as soon as next season : Chris Higgins and Garth Murray. Higgins is our #1 LW but Murray is nothing more than a 4th line energizer.

At the right wing, Kovalev & Ryder are lock on the top 2 lines. Perezhogin will also stay with the Habs all-season long next year.

Bégin and Plekanec can both play wing, but Plekanec is better as center that as winger so let try Bégin at left wing.

So it remains 1 LW spot and 1 RW spot for Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Ferland and Latendresse or a possible UFA. My guess is that Latendresse stay in the Q one more year, we sign a good forward and Kost take the last spot at the wing.

Edit : Also, we can trade Ribs and keep Begin as center, by this way we will have 2 spot to fill-in but I think Lapierre is more ready than Latendresse.
Perezhogin plays at left wing.

Closed Thread