HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who would be Habs'#1 center if...

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2006, 09:23 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
I don't quite know what I want in terms of acquisitions at the moment, I've seen more than one good idea on this board, and while a lot make sense, every one has a downside too. One thing to keep in mind is that signing a player like Arnott will mean that we'd have to out-bid omsone for him. I think that may drive his price up beyond Koivu's. So, if that's true, Carbo's personal opinion will go a long way towards whether he's pursued or not. I think Carbo has a type of player in mind, and he wants guys who keep coming at you, and can play an up tempo game.

Old
05-08-2006, 12:33 PM
kostitsyn fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour
Ryder - Koivu - Kovalev
Higgins - Arnott - Perezhogin

Nice!

i rather see higgins-plekanec-perezhogin

maybe chipchura will be ready to take bonk's spot and mikail grabovsky can make some surprise...

Old
05-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Alouette_19

Who really cares!!!!

The two first line of the Habs are both good.....give Saku the Number one spot or Arnott is look the same for me.......

Everyone agree that Koivu will play with Ryder and Higgins.......
If we get Arnott he will play with Kovalev

The Question too ask is what center will play on the PP line......Koivu plays sometime with Kovalev on the PP

If BG sign Arnott which Center will play more on the PP??? My guest Arnott because of the size, but for me this question is an enigma??? It's hard to cut Ice time to your captain and leader!!

Old
05-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf
Not an Arnott fan and would rather make some other move unless arnott can be had for peanuts which is likely not the case. As for someones sugggestion for Latandress on the second line, no thanks unless he can prove he deserves it. I rather see Perez who at least has an NHL season under his belt now.
What did Perezhogin prove? What does Perezhogin bring more than Latendresse?

Old
05-08-2006, 05:00 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alouette_19
Everyone agree that Koivu will play with Ryder and Higgins.......
If we get Arnott he will play with Kovalev
Why should everyone agree? I do not. I though Koivu and Kovalev were mighty good together. I still don't understand that one. Did I missed something or what?

From playoff 2004 up to Kovalev injury they were one of the best duo in the NHL and probably the best line the Habs had in the past 15 years.

What happened when Kovalev came back? Alex hitted on Hannah or what?

Old
05-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThedynamicDuo
Perezhogin stepped up his play during the playoffs, which is what really counts. He brings a ton more speed and skill then Latendresse. He's also the more mature player, he didnt come to the WJC 10 to 20 pounds out of shape. He also went through all thats needed to become an NHL player: He played great in Russia two times, he scored at a ppg ratio after the 2nd half in his AHL season, he was real good in the AHL playoffs, he's spent a full year in the NHL and performed in the post-season. Now let me ask you, what has Latendresse done other then being benched during the WJC and criticized by his own teammates?

Old
05-08-2006, 05:20 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti!
Koivu is our number one center for years to come there is no doubt about it. If we can find a 2nd center that can offload the physical abuse on Koivu's body we will only become a better team. Koivu did show some signs of fatigue this year... some of it may be due to the fact that he was playing PP, PK and 1st line time at the beguinning of the year, some of it may be due to the olympics. One thing is for sure is that we must make sure he is top shape for the playoff and that we have guys that can carry the ball if he is not there.

Arnott is a head case yes but he is also a special type of guy that we did not have in the past. A guy that creates space for his linemates (who can be speedy wingers like MTL has). A guy who goes to the net... (which we did not have for a long time before Higgins). I am a strong believer that on a successfull line you need a guy that can go to the net, a guy that can stick handle through traffic and a guy that can shoot the puck and operate at high speed. That being said I think with Arnott we could have three very successfull line which seems to be the story of the winning teams this year....

1a. Higgins, Koivu, Kostitsyn
1b. Latendresse, Plekanek, Kovalev
1c. Perezhogin, Arnott, Ryder
2. Begin, (Lapierre/Bonk/Chipchura), Murray

Me thinks Chipchura will be better playing top minutes in the AHL next year. Me also thinks that Lapierre will get a very serious look for the fourth line center and that could possibly mean that Bonk's contract could be bougth out. Sundstrum/Bulis/Zednik will be let go/traded when applicable IMO. The fall back position IMO is to use Bonk instead of Arnott, Unless Ribs has a super Camp and shows that he could handle the second line...
Arnot adds a whole new dimension to the team. Who to put against thorton, eric, primeau etc

Old
05-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Perezhogin stepped up his play during the playoffs, which is what really counts. He brings a ton more speed and skill then Latendresse. He's also the more mature player, he didnt come to the WJC 10 to 20 pounds out of shape. He also went through all thats needed to become an NHL player: He played great in Russia two times, he scored at a ppg ratio after the 2nd half in his AHL season, he was real good in the AHL playoffs, he's spent a full year in the NHL and performed in the post-season. Now let me ask you, what has Latendresse done other then being benched during the WJC and criticized by his own teammates?

But... Latendresse speaks French and is big.

Guy trying to put down Perezhogin to promote Latendresse... christ. Latendresse impressed at the training camp then he got cut and showed signs of immaturity like HabSaku pointed out. How do you show up at national team training camp that overweight when you are supposed to be one of the stars? Had he been watching Keith Tkachuk? We'll never know. Guillaume has to come ready again in to the camp next season to show that he can bounce back.

Old
05-08-2006, 05:39 PM
pepperMonkey

Arnott?

From reading these boards it would seem as if Arnott is the second coming of God. Unless I'm mistaken, this was his career year, he's 32, and he's been averaging around 57 pts per season except this year where he played his first full season of his entire career and got only 76 pts. Now, I know the Habs have problems scoring and Arnott would bring some upside to the offense but lets not get carried away here. If he's going to cost 4.5+ I think there are better ways of improving like getting a big gifted winger (presumably cheaper?) or another puck moving D. As much as it would be great to upgrade on Ribs, I would think that an upgrade in the Wingers would be a larger priority. With all his faults Ribs still got 50+ pts on a slump year while we have some fairly serious lack of production from several wingers.
Actually, scratch that. I don't really care who we get but we have absolutely no one even scratching the 100pt border. I would like at least one of those on our team. Winger, Center, I really don't care. If it means getting a new 1st line C, or a super star D or another super star W, so be it. Course it would cost the moon to get one of those...but for once it would be exciting to see teams fear our offense...

Old
05-08-2006, 05:47 PM
pepperMonkey

Transitional upgrades

My view of how to upgrade our offense...
Priority:
1) Get a puck moving D ala Markov
2) Get a big offensively talented winger to create room for Kovy and the C (whether Koivu, Pleky, Ribs) while producing
3) Get a big offensively talented C to either become the new 1st C or 2nd C
Personally I think 1 and 2 are much more important than 3 even if Ribs stays on to be our 2nd line C next year.

Lines of
Higgins Koivu Ryder
Bertuzzi-look-alike Ribs Kovy

would look very menacing in my eyes more than a

Higgins koivu Ryder
Perezhogin/bulis/kost/zed Arnott Kovy

since we would still have a problem with a producing winger.

Old
05-08-2006, 05:54 PM
Habsaku

I dont see why we shouldnt go after a third line two way center instead. I like the idea of having something like a Plekanec-Koivu-Peca trio. Its not big but its real fiesty and even if Koivu gets injured, the two others are so responsible they certainly wont hurt you.

Old
05-08-2006, 06:35 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
I dont see why we shouldnt go after a third line two way center instead. I like the idea of having something like a Plekanec-Koivu-Peca trio. Its not big but its real fiesty and even if Koivu gets injured, the two others are so responsible they certainly wont hurt you.
If the goal was to make the team marginally better then I may agree, although I think this is downgrade or at the very least a latteral move.
I don't see the trio of Koivu, Pleky and Peca(or Peca type) significantly upgrading the offense at all. We still will be missing fire power in the wings and fire power in C as we did with Koivu - Ribs - Pleky trio...

Old
05-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
But... Latendresse speaks French and is big.

Guy trying to put down Perezhogin to promote Latendresse... christ. Latendresse impressed at the training camp then he got cut and showed signs of immaturity like HabSaku pointed out. How do you show up at national team training camp that overweight when you are supposed to be one of the stars? Had he been watching Keith Tkachuk? We'll never know. Guillaume has to come ready again in to the camp next season to show that he can bounce back.
Hey buddy I'm polish so this has nothing to do with language ...Latendresse has everything the habs need, he's big and was pretty much the only one who was crashing the net in preseason, he has a decent shot, finishs all of his hits and has heart. How many Perezhogin do this team needs?

Old
05-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
More mature player? Last time I checked it was Perezhogin who almost killed someone, because of what? Who gives a .... about what he did in Russia, were talking NHL here. Dackell his one of the best players in sweden, see what I mean. Latendresse was 10 pounds heavier, big deal. Who takes all the stupid hooking calls?

Old
05-08-2006, 09:37 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
First of all that he can play in the NHL. You do not add a player because of what he did in one camp a year ago. He has to prove it again and he has to be that much better then everyone else. He had a very average season and was up and down all year. I still will take Perez before him unless Latandresse totally outplays him next pre-season.

Old
05-08-2006, 09:41 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
More mature player? Last time I checked it was Perezhogin who almost killed someone, because of what? Who gives a .... about what he did in Russia, were talking NHL here. Dackell his one of the best players in sweden, see what I mean. Latendresse was 10 pounds heavier, big deal. Who takes all the stupid hooking calls?
*** does that have to do with anything? And he didn't almost kill anybody, yes that was a stupid move but he learned and most of us have moved on about that...all put you it seems.

Old
05-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
First of all that he can play in the NHL. You do not add a player because of what he did in one camp a year ago. He has to prove it again and he has to be that much better then everyone else. He had a very average season and was up and down all year. I still will take Perez before him unless Latandresse totally outplays him next pre-season.
Perezhogin didn't have a up and down year? Gosh, 9 goals. You also dont add a player because of what he did in Russia.

Old
05-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
*** does that have to do with anything? And he didn't almost kill anybody, yes that was a stupid move but he learned and most of us have moved on about that...all put you it seems.
Of course you do, your a habs fan

Old
05-09-2006, 05:13 PM
exporta

i think arnott's game is overall better than koivu... though i'd prefer koivu due to his work ethic, leadership and passion for the game. a very classy player and i hope he fully recovers and can continue to do what he loves - captain your historic franchise.

Old
05-09-2006, 06:00 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justicex
Whatever. I prefer someone who stay healthy and play 70+ games a year rather than someone who a la Benoit Brunet, whos good.. but always in the training room or medical center...

Would you care to add a name to that your description is very vague.
Arnott has only played 70+ games 6 times and he's 32. Actually Koivu has 2 seasons with 82 games while Arnott has none (81 is his highest this year).

I see more and more misconceptions about Arnott wich leads me to believe most people actually have no idea what they're talking about.

Old
05-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe
Would you care to add a name to that your description is very vague.
Arnott has only played 70+ games 6 times and he's 32. Actually Koivu has 2 seasons with 82 games while Arnott has none (81 is his highest this year).

I see more and more misconceptions about Arnott wich leads me to believe most people actually have no idea what they're talking about.
It's unreal what 1 contract year will do for ya. Last year ppl thinking Selanne and Kariya were has-beens. This year ppl think Arnott is a god. I can't wait till 06-07 rolls around.

Old
05-10-2006, 11:49 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by justicex
Whatever. I prefer someone who stay healthy and play 70+ games a year rather than someone who a la Benoit Brunet, whos good.. but always in the training room or medical center...

You're right ! Arnott played almost 300 games more than Koivu since they have been drafted. Instead of calculating the PPM like some genious did (???), they should calculate games per year played and also, add all the salaries that both of these playes made in their NHL carrer and divide it by the number of games they played. Koivu is certainly one of the most overpaid players in the NHL (in a per game ratio) in the last ten years. - 6 playoff series in the last ten years -

On top of that, Arnott has 2 seasons with 30 goals or more, and seven seasons with 20 goals or more.... Koivu = 2 seasons over 20 goals !!!!

Old
05-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Shabutie

I'm sure Arnott playing 300 games (more like 250) more than Koivu has nothing to do with the fact that he joined the league 2 years earlier, and that Koivu missed a wad of games from cancer. Right?

Old
05-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Evil Ted

Koivu is our captain, our best player, and our #1 center, if you dont like that go pick another favorite team.

Old
05-10-2006, 12:03 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player
I didn't even looked at your stats... All I know is that Koivu > Arnott and that's the only thing that matters.

You know that ? Wow .... Maybe Koivu should start showing us his stuff... I think you should look at the stats

Anyway, I don't care anymore... Folks on this board are so much in love with St saku. Love is blind.

Closed Thread